Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

The Vasterå is frustrating

22 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

I'm grinding the camo mission. So far I've had one decent game, not a good game, just decent, all the others suck.  I made it through the Visby with little problem. I do understand the torpedoes are as close to useless as a politician in a crisis.

I'm missing something. At the rate I'm going it will be 2050 or so before I get the 12500 base XP.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,730 battles

same here

actually stopped working on that one and started working on the Skane.

• Cool 1

Members
145 posts
2,018 battles

the problem with the vasteras is they said it was a hybrid but its not a gun boat or a torp boat.

the gun reload is long so if ya try to knife fight other dd especially with friends you will shed alot of hp with your low hp to start. so dont try to knife fight unless ya have no choice.

the torp reload is fast, but the torp damage is like carrier torps and you only get a two sets of 3.  so if ya try to torp and hit a bb with all 6 torps by some wierd chance of luck when mercury is in retrograde.  The bb will take all 6 torps burp and say cool story bro.  So the weak damage on the torps doesnt make it a torp boat.

on top of that the concealment isnt great, you will be out spotted by other dd first so you really cant do what other dds do.

So the vasteras has an identity crisis.  Because of the slow reload on guns, and the weak damage on torps, and the low hp total you have, and the bad concealment, the only thing you can do is really just sit back and go in and drop torps and then get out of dodge, and try to spot outside of your concealment range, running if ya get spotted.

So it feels like you are running the whole game basically.  And because of your low damage output and bad conceal, you have to basically kind of hang back, cuz if ya try to push you need support.  You cant push ahead like any other dd cuz your conceal isnt great and your torps do little damage.

So what this means is, as a dd you are very dependent on your team mates for support.  And considering in random you get teams that sit back alot and dont give support.

All you can do is what i said earlier.  Go in and try to stay outside of your detection range , dump your torps and run before you get detected, reload torps and repeat.

Because of this a good game is vasteras on average is 40-60k damage.  And thats like with 9 torp hits in there or more.

• Cool 2

Members
145 posts
2,018 battles

BTW all the rest of the higher eu dd tiers are basically the same.  At higher tier you may be more gun boat but the torps are still weak.  plus ya gotta deal with radar.  I guess higher tiers you can try to be dd hunter but its situational. 

The play style is pump and dump and run.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,730 battles
1 minute ago, Munificient_Mumfurt said:

So the weak damage on the torps doesnt make it a torp boat.

on top of that the concealment isnt great, you will be out spotted by other dd first so you really cant do what other dds do.

:Smile_great:

and

4 minutes ago, Munificient_Mumfurt said:

So it feels like you are running the whole game basically.  And because of your low damage output and bad conceal, you have to basically kind of hang back, cuz if ya try to push you need support.  You cant push ahead like any other dd cuz your conceal isnt great and your torps do little damage

:Smile_great:

[GOB]
Members
2,066 posts

Never has a boat made me want to stop right there in the line and I got the first 2 for Free.   It's hard so see your lame score after doing heroic stuff and being on the edge of destruction the entire round for nothing.

Ships have NO respect for this bote.  They rush you like Bots because they know you only have Marshmallows to throw at them.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
17 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Never has a boat made me want to stop right there in the line and I got the first 2 for Free.   It's hard so see your lame score after doing heroic stuff and being on the edge of destruction the entire round for nothing.

Ships have NO respect for this bote.  They rush you like Bots because they know you only have Marshmallows to throw at them.

The only use I see for the Visby & the Västerå are to get snowflake rewards.

WG has several years & millions of DD play time for data. They missed horribly with these ships.

They have, in comparison to DD's, a nano of game play sub data. Baseless hope is the only reason to assume subs will be playable.

Reggie Jackson did strikeout of 2500 times but he hit 563 home runs & knocked in 1702 runs. He also gave us some of the most thrilling moments in baseball, has championships & is in the Hall of Fame.

In the context of game development WG strikeout count is growing while their good moments are few & far between.

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
2,934 posts
15,419 battles

the line is the hybrid but neither good .. so you need to pick 1 style and just focus on buffing it so if you going for pew pew, then change the capt

if you like to torp spec it as to make it reload faster and run around the map

Members
3,109 posts
6,705 battles

Zipped through the Vasteras grind in Aegis with a division in I think ten games. Skane and Oland and now Ostergotland are less painful to grind in random and have worked real well for me there.

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
10 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Zipped through the Vasteras grind in Aegis with a division in I think ten games. Skane and Oland and now Ostergotland are less painful to grind in random and have worked real well for me there.

I hope to do the same. Last night someone else was doing the Västerås thing.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I did the grind of  vasteras in 7 match  of aegis and 3 random.   no problem.   all wins in random  quit aegis after 7 because  it was getting later and 7th match was a loss

[SALVO]
Members
24,837 posts
25,918 battles

I actually didn't have any difficulty with the tier 5 and 6's.  With the Vasteras, I pretty much got through the camo mission playing nothing but operations.  Regardless, in randoms, it sort of plays like a Japanese DD with weak torps.  Its guns reload slowly and have turret layouts similar to the IJN DDs (i.e. more facing aft than forward), and its torps reload relative quickly and have good range for the tier.  The tier 5 and 6 Swedish DDs don't have gun RoF to seek out DD v DD gunfights, and are better suited to gunfighting while running away from the enemy than going toward them.  I personally suggest playing them as torp boats, and to watch out for flooding hits.  And if the enemy ship doesn't repair the flood, you can either try to start a fire or just leave them be.  But if they use a DCP to repair the flood immediately and it's relatively safe to do so, consider firing a few volleys at that enemy to try to start a fire cuz it'll stick.  And also when your torps are reloaded, try to land more torp hits in the hope of getting a sticky flood.

Also, the tier 5 and 6's are not that bad when it comes to concealment.  They're not the best but they're not the worst.  Their concealment is decent enough to be useful.  Also, don't overlook the fact that the tier 5 and 6 DDs have quite good speed and can get out of detection range pretty quickly (as long as you don't fire your guns and incur the gun bloom penalty).

In closing, none of the Swedish DDs are going to make their bones on 1 or 2 torp hits like an IJN DD might with their much harder hitting torps.  The Swedish DDs are more about chipping away at their targets, and trying to generate DoTs.  This doesn't make them bad DDs.  It just means that they're different.  And you have to have a little bit different mindset when playing them.

[-FFS-]
Members
10 posts
5,606 battles

you will have a big surprise at t7, Skane with 2 less guns of faster load, same turret turning speed, same torp but 2 less with 2km longer range.  If u cant work with Vasteras, Skane will be nearly impossible to grind.

[SALVO]
Members
24,837 posts
25,918 battles
39 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

the line is the hybrid but neither good .. so you need to pick 1 style and just focus on buffing it so if you going for pew pew, then change the capt

if you like to torp spec it as to make it reload faster and run around the map

I don't think that the Swedish tier 5 and 6 DDs are well suited to being gunboats, because their reloads are just too slow, even with BFT.  That's not to say that their guns can't be useful.  They're just not good enough to be considered a gunboat, IMO.

OTOH, starting with the Skåne, I think that the gun reloads drop more than enough for the Swedish tier 7+ DDs to be gunboat worthy.  I will say this though.  I'm not sure that they can be made good enough to be hardcore gunboats.  I think that they can however be made good enough to make these DDs into solid hybrids that have both useful torpedoes and useful guns.  I've done quite well with the Swedish DDs and think that they're entirely playable and capable of very good games.  You just have to take the time to get used to their play style and gain some  confidence in them.  I will say though that not everyone is suited to a smokeless DD play style that still requires a stealthy play style.  

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
398 posts
11,074 battles

I did the camo missions for the T5 and the T9.

The T6-T8 are not worth it. Since I have the T9, Ill run the standard 7500/22000 credit camos. I did the T5 because it was within a easy goal. The T9 boat actually has enough alpha in torps to sink ships, but it takes both torp banks to do it.

The europe boats are hit and run boats.. get within 10kms turn torp run... repeat.

Problem is its a selfish line of boats. Your not a spotter, capper or really scary.

Members
1,449 posts
10,632 battles

They're fire support ships that I think work best in wolf packs.

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles
37 minutes ago, Panpakpan said:

same torp but 2 less with 2km longer range.

Skane has the same number of torps and they are about 10 knots faster too. She is the first ship of the line who makes good on the fast torpedos flavor. Vas's torps aren't even the fastest of a torp boat in her tier.

[SALVO]
Members
4,474 posts
3,829 battles
3 hours ago, kgh52 said:

I'm grinding the camo mission. So far I've had one decent game, not a good game, just decent, all the others suck.  I made it through the Visby with little problem. I do understand the torpedoes are as close to useless as a politician in a crisis.

I'm missing something. At the rate I'm going it will be 2050 or so before I get the 12500 base XP.

I found torps on the Visby (which I think are similar to Vasteras) are fairly easy to land and very fast reload. You won't get as much damage per hit but get a lot of hits in return. In my book, they are jetskis with toy torps and guns, play accordingly.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,730 battles

Just got a kraken in my Skane. Was lucky and got CV'less matches so that helped. She's a support boat. Kind of hang around cruisers or with other DD's. 

Members
469 posts
4,399 battles

fast torps with long range but low damage seems a realy nice concept to me but they are so frustrating to play, no smoke or speed to speak off makes them super easy targets, few  slow turrets dont help and the concealment isnt the best either.

they could realy use a concealment buff.

[WOLFG]
Members
867 posts
3 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Working as intended.  Visby is good for Directives requiring torpedo hits that can be done in CoOP.  Other than that, these ships are useless.

Members
727 posts
9,871 battles

I thought tier 5 and 6 were weird. I don't mind playing them overall, but the torpedoes don't really make up for the low damage and the gun damage output limits their use outside of DD fights.

I'm enjoying the Skåne though. The increase in gun dpm is pretty huge, and you actually get fast long range torpedoes as opposed to German DD torpedoes with even less damage.

It's still frustrating when one team or the other gets steamrolled before you can do much, but at least in the Skåne you can get in close and get some use out of the guns.

Sign in to follow this