You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArmoredFrostX

Dmitri Donskoi

35 comments in this topic

[-PVE-]
Members
625 posts

If not for Moskva becoming a Coal ship soon, I would not have decided to grind the current Russian cruiser line since I already have the Smolensk. I started the long grind a couple of days after I learned of WG's direction to introduce new Russian ships. It has been fun, particularly in Operations and Coop, and the grind only became more pronounced starting with Chapayev. 

I've reached Dmitri Donskoi and I find him to be reliable, with good guns and radar. While he's not without flaws, I've come to learn how to best maximize his strengths to be able to survive for as long as possible. How about you? Have you had good games with the Donkey?

1449291172_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_04_04-01_49_11_75.thumb.png.e25dcae53ead0dfc9e270cd42ee5573d.png

549322873_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_04_04-01_58_08_09.thumb.png.b3f898db9da3d8392b611558aded5759.png

I hope I'll be able to get enough XP to unlock Moskva before she goes to the Armory.

[RLGN]
Members
14,334 posts
25,271 battles

My only experience with them, (admittedly in Co-op,) has been they die fast when I see them in Des Moines.

At least you seem to like the RU cruisers.

The only one I ever really liked was Bogatyr, with lukewarm but generally positive feelings for The Foreign Minister and Budyonny, (which I’ve never gone beyond.)

I got a Micky K from a Christmas container, but that was after the heyday of smoke firing, and it’s mostly been a ship that only comes out for x-flake events.

[PVE]
Members
4,279 posts
18,695 battles
21 minutes ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

If not for Moskva becoming a Coal ship soon, I would not have decided to grind the current Russian cruiser line since I already have the Smolensk. I started the long grind a couple of days after I learned of WG's direction to introduce new Russian ships. It has been fun, particularly in Operations and Coop, and the grind only became more pronounced starting with Chapayev. 

I've reached Dmitri Donskoi and I find him to be reliable, with good guns and radar. While he's not without flaws, I've come to learn how to best maximize his strengths to be able to survive for as long as possible. How about you? Have you had good games with the Donkey?

I've had mine for about three weeks and have been playing her to advance the 12point CPT I put in her.  I can't say I've mastered anything about her but, she isn't a bad CA.......  A lot to like and if used in a "group" she's a pretty good killer........  You just can't get focused in any way....  A good sniper as well at 20K..   As a brawler, I just can't seem to find the sweet spot cause she's made with pie crust armor and held together with duck tape.....  But, there may be a way to fight her I haven't figured out yet.  I do like her...........   Her torps just suck at 4K and they'd be a lot nicer at 8.....   I've got about 40 more games in her till I reach my goal.

Members
3,600 posts
13,004 battles
7 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I've had mine for about three weeks and have been playing her to advance the 12point CPT I put in her.  I can't say I've mastered anything about her but, she isn't a bad CA.......  A lot to like and if used in a "group" she's a pretty good killer........  You just can't get focused in any way....  A good sniper as well at 20K..   As a brawler, I just can't seem to find the sweet spot cause she's made with pie crust armor and held together with duck tape.....  But, there may be a way to fight her I haven't figured out yet.  I do like her...........   Her torps just suck at 4K and they'd be a lot nicer at 8.....   I've got about 40 more games in her till I reach my goal.

The Don isnt really a brawler.

edit: also Im pretty sure it's torps are 8km

Edited by Rollingonit
  • Cool 1

Members
4,374 posts
11,269 battles

I got her a long time ago (has to be over a year now I think) and enjoyed her quite a bit. Not as much as Budyonny and Shchors, but stats wise she did better than Chapy (since to me she felt like she had a lot more carry potential as a t9 in t10 than a t8 floating citadel in t10). Still played her as more of a long range boat in the first half of a battle like the others in the line, but she was much better at pushing when I needed to (better armor and health, heal, and better torps). 

40 minutes ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

I hope I'll be able to get enough XP to unlock Moskva before she goes to the Armory.

Unless Moskva moves in the next patch (with no announcement and having a split overlap a line release, so extremely unlikely), you should have at least another month to get Moskva if not longer. I think I did my Donskoi to Moskva grind in a week or two, but that was focusing mostly on that one grind instead of spreading it out among multiple lines and using premium time and lots of flags/camos to boost xp. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,218 posts
21,461 battles

I actually enjoyed D more then Moskva; but, I may be the exception.

[PVE]
Members
11,863 posts
24,570 battles
1 hour ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

1449291172_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_04_04-01_49_11_75.thumb.png.e25dcae53ead0dfc9e270cd42ee5573d.png

549322873_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_04_04-01_58_08_09.thumb.png.b3f898db9da3d8392b611558aded5759.png

Don't care for it at all honestly. I ground it originally to get Moskva then sold it with great joy. It just does not click for me. I am not crazy about the RU CL's in general but the Donskoi is one of my least favorite. IMO the only redeeming feature it has is usable torps. 

I eventually bought it back for some flake event or another and held onto it (for future flake events). I have been playing it here and there to put XP on for when the RU Cruisers split. It has been painful. Have about 150,000 XP and need about 90,000 more. The HORROR!!! :Smile_sad:

It is so sluggish and while accurate I find the HE underwhelming for damage and fire starting and the AP just doesn't seem all that great either. AA is ok. Concealment isn't very good. Just a meh and blah ship for me.

I will be glad when I have the XP on it for the new T10 and can stop playing it.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,986 posts
14,289 battles

Range and fire are your friends...get too close and the ol Donquioxski will give up big citadel hits....she can surprise brawl with her torps, but it is a last resort... have taken some BBs by surprise and ended them with torps.

[PVE]
Members
11,863 posts
24,570 battles
59 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Donskoi has 8km torps

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,445 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

My only experience with them, (admittedly in Co-op,) has been they die fast when I see them in Des Moines.

The only one I ever really liked was Bogatyr, with lukewarm but generally positive feelings for The Foreign Minister and Budyonny, (which I’ve never gone beyond.)

I got a Micky K from a Christmas container, but that was after the heyday of smoke firing, and it’s mostly been a ship that only comes out for x-flake events.

The Moskva is funny. If you can hit the back half you will tear it up but the front half is extremely resistant to damage.

[PVE]
Members
4,279 posts
18,695 battles
7 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

The Don isnt really a brawler.

edit: also Im pretty sure it's torps are 8km

6 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Donskoi has 8km torps

It does !  I got stuck mentally with Russian ships all having 4K torps for some reason????  Age I guess.

No, she isn't a brawler but, I am pushing to see just how far I can push that assumption because I do really like her.   My best results are from medium ranges as part of a Division.  From there, she's pretty deadly.....  Alone, is a lot tougher.

Sorry about the distance, was focused "elsewhere"................  Thanks for reminding me.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,112 posts
23,873 battles

I never cared much for the current Tier VIII-IX RU Cruisers in the tech tree.  However, I am grinding on D.Donskoi again to pile up XPs in preparation for upcoming Alexander Nevsky.  Donskoi is excessively large, clumsy to sail, not even decently armored for a Cruiser, has Battleship concealment levels.

If you just stay back to rely on the 180mm guns, it doesn't do much.  If you want high damage, you need to try and get some torpedo hits in during Co-op, and that's where Donskoi is most vulnerable.  Very small margin for error.

It's Moskva in Tier X with her 50mm deck and very high rising 50mm icebreaker, she's unbelievably tanky for a Cruiser.  The tall 50mm icebreaker bow lets her tank bow in or angled quite well.  Donskoi has nothing of the sort.  She's just big and easy to get damaged in, has no agility whatsoever.

As I said, I'm grinding for A.Nevsky, but I am not enjoying it at all.  I'll do 1-2 games on D.Donskoi daily before it becomes too distasteful.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-PVE-]
Members
625 posts
16 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I think a good technique is to position the ship in such way the Des Moines' rapid firing 203s cannot seriously hurt you before it can get to fire his guns. I've had some good Coop games that sunk Des Moines, Minotaur, and Worcester. In my experience, kiting, radar, and hydro really helps in giving these ships damage. And when they try to turn, they show their broadsides, those AP shells of the Donskoi can easily give you 2-4 citadels per salvo.

You're very lucky you got that Kutuzov from a Christmas container! How is it so far?

[-PVE-]
Members
625 posts
15 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

I agree. Donkey shines when you are in a group. Your radar is lethal, and you have hydro to spot torpedoes. But if one goes solo, you can quickly find your ship focused on.

In random battles I don't think she is good for brawling, but in Coop, she can (I've done it quite a few times and survived), but still it is not advisable even if she has 8 kilometer torpedoes.

[RLGN]
Members
14,334 posts
25,271 battles
1 hour ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

You're very lucky you got that Kutuzov from a Christmas container! How is it so far?

It exists.

Only 70 Randoms in it, (in maybe 3 years?) A 57% wr, but pathetic average damage (40k,) and average frags, (0.6.)

Even for Co-op it mostly sits in port.

[-PVE-]
Members
625 posts
18 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

I got her a long time ago (has to be over a year now I think) and enjoyed her quite a bit. Not as much as Budyonny and Shchors, but stats wise she did better than Chapy (since to me she felt like she had a lot more carry potential as a t9 in t10 than a t8 floating citadel in t10). Still played her as more of a long range boat in the first half of a battle like the others in the line, but she was much better at pushing when I needed to (better armor and health, heal, and better torps). 

Unless Moskva moves in the next patch (with no announcement and having a split overlap a line release, so extremely unlikely), you should have at least another month to get Moskva if not longer. I think I did my Donskoi to Moskva grind in a week or two, but that was focusing mostly on that one grind instead of spreading it out among multiple lines and using premium time and lots of flags/camos to boost xp. 

Yes, I think the new Russian cruisers will arrive after Part 2 of the European DD event. I already unlocked Moskva, and I'm going back to Shchors to rack up XP points to unlock Talinn once that cruiser is available on the Tech Tree.

[-PVE-]
Members
625 posts
17 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Don't care for it at all honestly. I ground it originally to get Moskva then sold it with great joy. It just does not click for me. I am not crazy about the RU CL's in general but the Donskoi is one of my least favorite. IMO the only redeeming feature it has is usable torps. 

I eventually bought it back for some flake event or another and held onto it (for future flake events). I have been playing it here and there to put XP on for when the RU Cruisers split. It has been painful. Have about 150,000 XP and need about 90,000 more. The HORROR!!! :Smile_sad:

It is so sluggish and while accurate I find the HE underwhelming for damage and fire starting and the AP just doesn't seem all that great either. AA is ok. Concealment isn't very good. Just a meh and blah ship for me.

I will be glad when I have the XP on it for the new T10 and can stop playing it.

I remember your response when I first asked you if you like it. That Steve Harvey GIF was funny! Hahaha!

I guess we all have Tier IX cruisers that do not click with us. For me, it was the Ibuki. I just don't like it, even if I had a few good PvP matches with it. Perhaps it was because I really liked those 155mm guns on the Mogami, which does not appear on the Ibuki. 

In Coop, I just angle away, reverse, and them hit them with HE. I've had some great Coop battles with it, including a brawl that sunk a Lion and a Republique. That was really fun! 

I think more than the torpedoes, it is that 12 kilometer radar—especially if used at the right moment—that makes Dmitri Donskoi really potent. I've had some unsuspecting DDs (in Random Battles) wish they did not sit still.

855426041_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_03_30-16_30_56_10.thumb.png.5477970b8b398527fe1b65f83219aea0.png

1030883186_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_03.30-16.31_03_82.thumb.png.47cd80538bace438b6317db8fcad32f3.png

I picked Demolition Expert for my captain, foregoing Concealment Expert. I think the 4 points spent on CE would be better used in other skills, but that's just my preference.

[-PVE-]
Members
625 posts
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I never cared much for the current Tier VIII-IX RU Cruisers in the tech tree.  However, I am grinding on D.Donskoi again to pile up XPs in preparation for upcoming Alexander Nevsky.  Donskoi is excessively large, clumsy to sail, not even decently armored for a Cruiser, has Battleship concealment levels.

If you just stay back to rely on the 180mm guns, it doesn't do much.  If you want high damage, you need to try and get some torpedo hits in during Co-op, and that's where Donskoi is most vulnerable.  Very small margin for error.

It's Moskva in Tier X with her 50mm deck and very high rising 50mm icebreaker, she's unbelievably tanky for a Cruiser.  The tall 50mm icebreaker bow lets her tank bow in or angled quite well.  Donskoi has nothing of the sort.  She's just big and easy to get damaged in, has no agility whatsoever.

As I said, I'm grinding for A.Nevsky, but I am not enjoying it at all.  I'll do 1-2 games on D.Donskoi daily before it becomes too distasteful.

Donskoi is large, but once she moves, she can move fast and be relatively nimble. Those 180s can also deal damage well, although it can struggle at times. This cruiser brutally punishes mistakes—I've been sunk playing her even in Coop—but it also rewards skilled play.

1117140013_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_04.02-23_43_33_97.thumb.png.48962695c78ba37d33c75d0680aedd28.png

1040751521_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_04.02-23_43_37_48.thumb.png.d1579c4af3ba3acb7688bf1b33e60c88.png

263978310_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_04.03-19_38_19_91.thumb.png.fb8f28581106c9142175652403a56779.png

908523807_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_04.03-19_39_43_18.thumb.png.4ffc69b5eb1c0d33ed1881c8b08170ee.png

I'm going to grind again for Nevsky.

Edited by ArmoredFrostX

[WOLF3]
Members
27,112 posts
23,873 battles
8 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

With an odd gun caliber, do you take IFHE on your captain?  Notice any change for the better or worse since the change?

I took IFHE & DE as if she was a 152mm CL.

Stock HE Pen is only 30mm, Fire Chance 13%.  You can't HE Pen High Tier BB extremities nor the 32mm deck armor of High Tier FR & RN BBs.  You'll get lots of Non-Pens and rely too much on Fire RNG, which the bot is going to put out anyways and then have their Damage Control Party active timer granting temporary immunity to more Fires.

HE Pen becomes 37mm, Fire Chance 8.5% with the two traits.  You can now HE Pen North Carolina's 37mm deck armor, as well as the 32mm armor sections I mentioned prior.  You can get more direct shell damage and be less reliant on dice roll Fire mechanics.

When Alexander Nevsky comes I'll be more than happy to rip out this Dmitri Donskoi captain and throw him onto the new RU Tier X "Light" Cruiser and leave Donskoi rusting in port.

• Cool 1

Members
929 posts
10,258 battles

I am thinking of buying Donskoi, mothballing my Shchors thanks to the IFHE/cruiser armor changes, and moving her commander up.  He has PT/AR/DE/CE,IFHE.

Members
3,600 posts
13,004 battles
On 4/4/2020 at 3:56 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

However, I am grinding on D.Donskoi again to pile up XPs in preparation for upcoming Alexander Nevsky.  D

Is this confirmed how the split will work?

Members
383 posts
4,146 battles

I'm speaking about this ship in a non COOP environment. In COOP you aren't going to get the time to burn everything to the ground since the AI will keep their foot to the floor and keep driving into torps and AP rounds. The ship does fine in COOP, but pure DPM brawlers are always better.

I'm also on the grind to the Moskva (I like free stuff) and have been grinding the line since the Schors, which I stopped as I was focusing on the Brit CLs(pew pew!) and found the entire concept of the line to be really boring. After re-starting my grind, my assumptions have been more or less correct. 

The DM is honestly one of the best tier 9s I've driven. A lot of tier 9s are fitted with gimmicks, or issues that are "fixed" at tier 10. The DM just has straight buffs compared to the previous tier. This ship also performs the same job as the rest of the line as a DPM mid/long range ship so it fits the same play style without much issue. The biggest issue with this ship is you should drop IFHE, as you don't need the extra pen due to the larger guns. So after a re-spec captain with focus on DPM and fire starting this ship is basically a joke. It can fight tier 10s 9s at any range no problem. Like the rest of the line, positioning and dodging are key to not getting blasted, the armor is better and can bounce, but it wont save you. The stupid range and accuracy means its easy to troll BBs at long ranges while you burn them down.

I rarely have an opportunity to use torps due to the ships effective range being super long, and the torp range means getting way to close to other ships effective ranges to do much more then drop some cheeky hope and prayer torps around a corner every now and then. If this ship didn't have torps at all it would be just as good of a ship.

The entire RU line has so far been pretty consistent, since their job is just to stick at range, keep shooting... non-stop, and hit the Radar button to negate DDs. My has DM consistently performed 120k+ damage per game without much trouble. The only times I don't see those numbers are games where my team steamrolls or I royally screw up and get too messed up to fast.

I'm looking forward to the Moskva and the line changes, since honestly, the RU cruisers are kinda "unfun" in the sense there is little counter play or risk in sitting back and continuously lighting up BBs who have almost no chance at retaliation. I believe the Moskva tanks more like a BB, which makes things a little more balanced, but slapping BBs for 4k+fire damage every ~11 seconds at 15km+ on a ship with decent armor, speed, maneuverability AND heal is honestly a joke in the DM. 

[WOLF3]
Members
27,112 posts
23,873 battles
2 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

Is this confirmed how the split will work?

1*T-nW_9DeNfvVEDB5AjqQqQ.jpeg

Source: https://medium.com/@devblogwows/st-soviet-cruisers-a2fee2613c56

I have a bunch of old XPs sitting on Schors from years ago, so she's ready to research and unlock Tier VIII CA Tallin on day one.

I'm working on Dmitri Donskoi to get the XPs piled up for X "Light" Cruiser Alexander Nevsky.

I got Kirov and Moskva already, so they're going to be Premiums when the update hits.

• Cool 1