Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Quick question about CLs and overpens

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,326
[SALVO]
Members
6,950 posts
5,510 battles

Case type: You are in an undertier CL at close range from a +1/+2 tier BB. Is it better to offer full broadside and pray for overpens than offer your bow and pray dispersion?

Asking as a rule of thumb, I know it can't apply to every ship combination

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34,535
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,203 posts
21,001 battles

Depends on what you're driving, what range the enemy battleships are at and what they're shooting. CLs with high, full-hull-width citadels will just get blapped, especially if something with relatively short fuse timers is shooting at it, especially from long range. At close range? Yeah, even if the shells do fuse, they'll be in and out before they go pop.

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,326
[SALVO]
Members
6,950 posts
5,510 battles
35 minutes ago, Lert said:

Depends on what you're driving, what range the enemy battleships are at and what they're shooting. CLs with high, full-hull-width citadels will just get blapped, especially if something with relatively short fuse timers is shooting at it, especially from long range. At close range? Yeah, even if the shells do fuse, they'll be in and out before they go pop.

I'm looking for a quick rule of thumb to apply to any sqhishy thin CL, at close range where the obvious dodge isn't an option. You are eating damage one way or the other. You don't know for sure if you'll get HE or AP. 

Question arise because yesterday I got deleted in a LaGal bow from full HP by a Richelieu at 2 km. Ate multiple full pens and cits. In retrospective I don't know if it would have been a better gamble to go full broadside for full pens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34,535
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,203 posts
21,001 battles
Just now, ArIskandir said:

I'm looking for a quick rule of thumb to apply to any sqhishy thin CL, at close range where the obvious dodge isn't an option.

There isn't one, though. But you stand more chance of getting overpens broadside than bow-in, in which case the BB shell has the entire length of your ship to arm and det.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,326
[SALVO]
Members
6,950 posts
5,510 battles
39 minutes ago, centarina said:

mistake is getting into close range to begin with  :D

Yeah but sometimes it happens. 

I tend to be very supportive of my BBs when playing cruisers, so it is not unusual I end up in the middle of a brawl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,326
[SALVO]
Members
6,950 posts
5,510 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

There isn't one, though. But you stand more chance of getting overpens broadside than bow-in, in which case the BB shell has the entire length of your ship to arm and det.

Ok thanks. Not presenting broadside is almost a reflex, funny how in some situations is worse than going the full monty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,642
[RLGN]
Members
15,645 posts
27,371 battles
39 minutes ago, centarina said:

mistake is getting into close range to begin with  :D

Well, positioning.

I love chewing on bows and sterns of ships trying to come around a corner after me, but who can’t quite get the guns Farr enough around to take a shot.

Of course, it’s not as if that always happens, but it’s amusing when it does.

Sometimes you just gotta charge, and hope for the best, especially if it’s likely you’re toast no matter what you do.

Most memorable Double Strike was just that; Emerald versus a Wyoming and a Kongo. Hooray for bad shooting and sixteen torpedoes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34,535
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,203 posts
21,001 battles
4 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Ok thanks. Not presenting broadside is almost a reflex, funny how in some situations is worse than going the full monty.

Well .... If you're sharply angled any AP shots that hit your belt are going to ricochet off harmlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,068
[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,907 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Case type: You are in an undertier CL at close range from a +1/+2 tier BB. Is it better to offer full broadside and pray for overpens than offer your bow and pray dispersion?

Asking as a rule of thumb, I know it can't apply to every ship combination

I go with option 3,

Torp it !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,326
[SALVO]
Members
6,950 posts
5,510 battles
22 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I go with option 3,

Torp it !

hehe, yeah that's usually why you came to that position in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
924
[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles
34 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I'm looking for a quick rule of thumb to apply to any sqhishy thin CL, at close range where the obvious dodge isn't an option. You are eating damage one way or the other. You don't know for sure if you'll get HE or AP. 

Question arise because yesterday I got deleted in a LaGal bow from full HP by a Richelieu at 2 km. Ate multiple full pens and cits. In retrospective I don't know if it would have been a better gamble to go full broadside for full pens. 

Alright, since some others are being evasive, a quick rule of thumb is as follows:

Beyond 6km is citadel city, but under 6km you can get away with it for big calibers. Leave yourself only 4km for smaller guns.

Larger than 420mm it's better to hope for overpens, (they'll overmatch anyways), but at or under that, try for the bow-in. Show a tiny bit more side than you think you'll need.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,326
[SALVO]
Members
6,950 posts
5,510 battles
Just now, pewpewpew42 said:

Alright, since some others are being evasive, a quick rule of thumb is as follows:

Beyond 6km is citadel city, but under 6km you can get away with it for big calibers. Leave yourself only 4km for smaller guns.

Larger than 420mm it's better to hope for overpens, (they'll overmatch anyways), but at or under that, try for the bow-in. Show a tiny bit more side than you think you'll need.

Excellent, ty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,081 posts
44,091 battles

If you're in a Pensacola, you will be almighty citadeled. Same applies to konis and nurns.

At close range the overpen works only at bow and stern on front of outer turrets. A shot in the bow linear to engine will crack the engine block. It's fatal at close range.

In any tier CL that is below tier 6, see a BB close, try to angle, but you will last as long as a 12 pack of crunchy tacos from Taco Bell if given to college students. It's best to run away and hide. Keep distance. You are not even safe from Colorado until 24 km out.

Use cover and speed to get in to a favorable firing position. Favorable is you can hit him, and he can only hit you if he turns his guns.

I always hit the player looking the other way and preferably wide.

By the time he realizes what has happened, it's too late.

It's like this joke....

Two Pensacolas enter B cap. Pensacola 1 says: "Is that a Colorado?" Pensacola 2 says as he is sinking: "Yeah, duh!"

 

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×