You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bortt

Best CV's for Competetive Play

30 comments in this topic

[Y0L0W]
Members
586 posts
19,368 battles

Not much of a CV player, but with clan battles introducing CV's, just wondering which line would be the best to grind?

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,939 posts
18,306 battles

IJN Shokaku is better against cruisers and battleships due to fast accurate torpedos and AP bombs

Lexington is a good all around CV. With HVAR rocket plane load out it is better against DD's. With the Tiny Tim load out better against cruisers and battleships. Good torpedoes when buffed with torpedo acceleration. Good dive bombers that can knock a chunk off of DD's and set fires on cruisers and battleships

Implacable is a DD hunter. It's planes are the slowest of the three making a effective deterrent. Their rockets seem to have the highest chance of starting fires. The level bombers can carpet bomb areas with HE. Torpedos are painfully slow. Would only recommend using them against BB's and some cruisers.

As far as the premiums. I've read the Big E, GZ, and Kaga are all really good. The Saipan I believe has a higher skill floor to make effective.

Members
12,597 posts
14,320 battles

The answer is none of them since CVs don’t really pack the same heavy punch as another warship. They mainly are only good for scouting, spotting, hitting DDs, or picking off a critically damaged ship. Meanwhile without full battle lines that happen in Randoms you are left vulnerable in Clan battles much in the same way as in Ranked. DDs easily slip through and then the CVs can be sunk early as there is a lot more open water and less chances of getting spotted by the enemy.

And then you get into the matter of needing another clan crazy enough to bring a CV, which can lead to very long que times for a CV team, and you will be facing a team armed to the teeth with AA because they know it will be a CV battle.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,867 posts
14,882 battles

I don't think there is really a best CV for this other than the one you do best with.

• Cool 1

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
21 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

The answer is none of them since CVs don’t really pack the same heavy punch as another warship. They mainly are only good for scouting, spotting, hitting DDs, or picking off a critically damaged ship. Meanwhile without full battle lines that happen in Randoms you are left vulnerable in Clan battles much in the same way as in Ranked. DDs easily slip through and then the CVs can be sunk early as there is a lot more open water and less chances of getting spotted by the enemy.

And then you get into the matter of needing another clan crazy enough to bring a CV, which can lead to very long que times for a CV team, and you will be facing a team armed to the teeth with AA because they know it will be a CV battle.

I look forward to fighting your clan in CW. Easy win.

• Cool 2

[O_B_G]
Members
215 posts
7,045 battles

What tier? This is very vague.. does this include premium ships? is it tier 10? so many variables.

[Y0L0W]
Members
586 posts
19,368 battles

Pretty sure clan battle are going to be Tier 10. So thinking about the best tier 10 CV mainly. I'm seeing a lot of Haku so I'm guessing this is probably the best choice.

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
10 minutes ago, Skidmark_01 said:

What tier? This is very vague.. does this include premium ships? is it tier 10? so many variables.

Actual Clan Battles will be tier 10. The Clan Brawl this weekend is tier 8. They are doing the 4x1 style again, where you must run 1 CV, 1 DD, 1 BB, 1 CA/CL. 

Enterprise is always nuts. Run it if ya got it. My clan had a high level of success with me running Kaga last time (we played for all the rewards and went undefeated). GZ is an ok meme pick. Lexington is good. Shikoku is ok, but not amazing. The games go really really fast, so just pick something you can rack up damage fast and consistently. For me this was Kaga. Honestly CV pick isn’t as important as other picks, like your cruiser or DD IMO. You want loads of hydro/radar and torps if they do it the same way as before. The maps force quick close engagements.

[SALVO]
Members
707 posts
15,534 battles
43 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I played close to 30 battles in the clan brawl.  Wanna guess how often the DD sank me?  Exactly once and it was on one of the crazy spawns where the CV pretty much always died for both team in the first 2 minutes.  Que times in clan battles are not tied to the the ships you choose.  If no one else has a CV readied up, you get a game against a team with no CV.  Yes, please, I'll take that every time.

[PISD]
Members
1,841 posts
6,092 battles
27 minutes ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

A CV will be mandatory sadly.  The question is whether to even bring a DD.

I wonder about that. With clan brawl we do see CV being countered quite effectively. And alpha strike tends to have more value than dpm in CB, and on that regard BB are far superior.

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
2 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

I wonder about that. With clan brawl we do see CV being countered quite effectively. And alpha strike tends to have more value than dpm in CB, and on that regard BB are far superior.

What you don’t see is how games would go otherwise. Without a CV to threaten strikes you get much more room to flank and can play games with spotting range. Damage isn’t the draw for a CV, it’s finishing power, preventing flanks, and absolute knowledge of the enemies game plan on positioning. That’s too valuable to give up.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,815 posts
7,511 battles

While I'm not a CB Player,  I'd say Enterpise or Kaga for T8?   tech tree CVs just a  bit less forgiving IMO.       At T10 either Hak or Midway will play.   I personally think Midway has a lot more utility against all ship types, but with the cruiser heavy make up of CBs... could be Haks AP is valuable...  I can't imagine for the most part with the top clans,  CVs aren't just going to be a spotter/scouting tool..  Maybe some mop up or punishing a wayward DD....if so Midway's HVARs will do a better job for that function.       

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,466 posts
13,117 battles
6 minutes ago, Bortt said:

What's everyone's take on Implacable?

Second worst CV for competitive play, Planes are not real fast, all her planes are two at a time attacks, and the level bombers take time to do damage by DOTs.

Here's my post in response to someone else asking about CV's for clan battles.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,815 posts
7,511 battles

disregard

[PISD]
Members
1,841 posts
6,092 battles
35 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

What you don’t see is how games would go otherwise. Without a CV to threaten strikes you get much more room to flank and can play games with spotting range. Damage isn’t the draw for a CV, it’s finishing power, preventing flanks, and absolute knowledge of the enemies game plan on positioning. That’s too valuable to give up.

CB is already a pretty static game of Moskva, Stalingrad and Des Moines. The team facing CV will just stay grouped making the CV effectiveness down to 0 quite quickly, something that do not happen wit a bb. The main difference will probably be to see only one DD per side instead of 2 imo.

[NUWES]
Members
3,381 posts
12,237 battles

I don't know what tier it is but here's my take: 

If T8, the best all-rounder is Enterprise bar none. She combines a lot of the best qualities of Shokaku and Lexington. Her massive fighter consumable lets her dominate caps over other CVs, and over almost all DDs. Individual pen and damage on the rockets is poor but she fires a ton of them and thereby makes up damage in quantity. They are middling on BBs and CAs unless you hit the superstructure from the side and the suck at starting fires. They really chunk out DDs and lighter CLs if they get a good broadside hit and the squadrons are so big they are nearly immune to any AA that a DD can throw out unless they hit flak. Their size also makes them goos scouts as you won't lose them all to a surprise AA CL. The torps themselves are nothing special damage-wise but the bombers are very agile and have a short arm distance and arm time so you can drop down and hit and hit ships close to islands. Her 6 small AP bombs can citadel all T8 cruises and about half the BBs. They can do enormous damage on KM BBs. 

I would not recommend GZ or Indom. The both have significant limitations that make them poor choices. Sapian, Kaga, Lex, Shokaku and Implac are fine. 

All the T10s are fine. Hak does better against BBs and bigger CAs but has a harder time helping with DDs and thinner-hulled CLs than the others due to AP bombs, weaker rockets, and long arming distances on torpedoes. Midway does well all around. It can't chunk out damage on BBs like Hak can. It has to build it with fires and floods. It is the best T10 at hammering DDs though with powerful rockets (HVAR) and HE bombs, and thereby helping your team control vision. A really good Midway HE drop can take half the health off of a DD. 

I don't really love Audacious but it works if you know how to time the level bombers properly. They can hammer DDs but you have to guess the lead correctly. My clan is too small to play clan battles but I suspect most clan DD players know how to dodge and use their throttle and that makes Audacious' level bombers hard to use on them. 

[NUWES]
Members
3,381 posts
12,237 battles
4 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

CB is already a pretty static game of Moskva, Stalingrad and Des Moines. The team facing CV will just stay grouped making the CV effectiveness down to 0 quite quickly, something that do not happen wit a bb. The main difference will probably be to see only one DD per side instead of 2 imo.

I don't play clan battles,  but I do play CVs a lot. Static sitting there with a CV around (especially Hak) just gets you citadeled. The CV will just use the island waifu as a weapon against you to block AA fire and drop down on you over the island. It doesn't matter if they are grouped up unless they are all grouped up surrounding the island. The AA won't do anything before the plane drops from the blind spot and that will be the last planes in the squadron so he'll lose little or nothing. The stationary target will then eat all of the AP bombs or torpedoes. The tradeoff is well worth it for the CV. 

I'm really interested to see how this turns out. I usually watch youtube videos of them since I don't play in them, and from what I've seen of the regular tactics, CVs will bring a lot of change. I think a lot of the value will come in the overall spotting, anti-DD spotting and taking out ships that like to sit stationary or bow-tank in because that makes the CV's job easier. It also may force build-choice and ship-choice changes. Stealth builds matter a lot less and ships with better AA become more valuable. It will be interesting to see what players do. 

[O_B_G]
Members
215 posts
7,045 battles
1 hour ago, Sou1forge said:

Actual Clan Battles will be tier 10. The Clan Brawl this weekend is tier 8. They are doing the 4x1 style again, where you must run 1 CV, 1 DD, 1 BB, 1 CA/CL. 

Enterprise is always nuts. Run it if ya got it. My clan had a high level of success with me running Kaga last time (we played for all the rewards and went undefeated). GZ is an ok meme pick. Lexington is good. Shikoku is ok, but not amazing. The games go really really fast, so just pick something you can rack up damage fast and consistently. For me this was Kaga. Honestly CV pick isn’t as important as other picks, like your cruiser or DD IMO. You want loads of hydro/radar and torps if they do it the same way as before. The maps force quick close engagements.

Run GZ with Secondaries built speed with be a plus 

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
1 hour ago, Skidmark_01 said:

Run GZ with Secondaries built speed with be a plus 

It’s an overrated build. There is meme potential, but as soon at the other CV and their team knows what to do, the GZ can’t keep up with the big boys in a DPM race. Maybe it’s just Kaga, but as soon as I figured out the lead for the torp drops on a GZ I never lost that fight 1v1 or otherwise. And then after the other side lost their CV because they were aggressive to get those secondaries in it was an uphill battle. I think the GZ has some tools, basically being immune to a DD 1v1 is pretty nice, but I’m relatively certain those tools don’t make up the difference.

Not that you couldn’t make any CV work. 

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

I don't play clan battles,  but I do play CVs a lot. Static sitting there with a CV around (especially Hak) just gets you citadeled. The CV will just use the island waifu as a weapon against you to block AA fire and drop down on you over the island. It doesn't matter if they are grouped up unless they are all grouped up surrounding the island. The AA won't do anything before the plane drops from the blind spot and that will be the last planes in the squadron so he'll lose little or nothing. The stationary target will then eat all of the AP bombs or torpedoes. The tradeoff is well worth it for the CV. 

I'm really interested to see how this turns out. I usually watch youtube videos of them since I don't play in them, and from what I've seen of the regular tactics, CVs will bring a lot of change. I think a lot of the value will come in the overall spotting, anti-DD spotting and taking out ships that like to sit stationary or bow-tank in because that makes the CV's job easier. It also may force build-choice and ship-choice changes. Stealth builds matter a lot less and ships with better AA become more valuable. It will be interesting to see what players do. 

On balance grouping makes a pretty large difference with CV damage. Having to throw a full bomber squad away per strike really limits damage potential. That said I do agree with you that taking a CV is by far the better idea. 

[PVE]
Members
1,144 posts
9,607 battles
4 hours ago, Bortt said:

Not much of a CV player, but with clan battles introducing CV's, just wondering which line would be the best to grind?

Woostah :Smile_trollface:

Sorry, I'll see myself out

[WPORT]
Members
8,096 posts
13,161 battles
2 hours ago, Bortt said:

What's everyone's take on Implacable?

She's a competent DD hunter.
The rocket planes are user-friendly.
The HE-Bomb equipped Bombers drop many bombs in a long oval pattern that can be used on any ship in the game, provided one can properly time a well-aimed drop to land fully on the target.

The torpedoes are not fast, so they benefit from speed boosts via upgrades and Captain's skills.  But they have a nice converging drop pattern and do decent damage when they hit.

I was spending some time in Random matches with her, the other night, training my crews and gaining XP for researching improved planes and the "Hull-B". 

I think the Implacable is a user-friendly CV.