Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Shima 20km Torpedoes Can Be Fun

6 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

With the current Stay At Home order for so many in North America, I have reequipped my Shimakaze with the 20km torpedoes... :cap_haloween:

854EA1DB-2F71-498B-A810-F7E849E68A24.thumb.jpeg.1d9d887229b69d4912d2b777b3a6e5af.jpeg

What was hilarious was the fact the enemy Stalingrad in that battle had caught our DDs with Radar, then couple minutes later was the first 3 torpedo hits I scored. You would have thought they would have known DDs were nearby (after Radar had just picked up our DDs) and suspected torpedoes would just happen to be  launched as took up position outside a narrow area between Islands, center part of epicenter was getting capped, and the 20km torpedoes have 2.5km detection of them. And pretty sure Stalingrad has hydro as well? So yeah that set the tone for a fun battle. And then you had their BBs traveling in a group back and forth over the course of the battle so my torpedoes were bound to hit something, most of which were fired through that same island gap. ( took my team little while to cap the center of epicenter thanks to the enemy DDs showing up one at a time to interfere every so often. So I had to stay in and help, hence the reason I kept using pretty much the same firing angles for torpedoes.)

Say what you want about the IJN torpedoes, especially the 20km torps, and then about the average player quality at the moment, but oh boy can it be amusing at times.

C76DCA1A-9B67-49C2-99E5-BA1390E50A54.thumb.png.fcc503eccf17364a2d15a4cf26f4aefc.png

Members
2,947 posts
36,731 battles

I use them. I toyed with the shorter ranges,  but radar limits their effective use if caught sneaking up on a cruiser.

So recently I went back to the long range ones too.

I used them to successfully herd a red team off a cap, slip behind the battlefield lines, end attack the CV. I got the CV before his Mino got me.

Even though we lost it was painfully obvious that a CV very close can not see a shimakaze with AA off.

And that feeling of when a CV Capt is spotted by me does create panic. Making red look behind while being targeted in front is a bit disconcerting.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
4 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I use them. I toyed with the shorter ranges,  but radar limits their effective use if caught sneaking up on a cruiser.

So recently I went back to the long range ones too.

I used them to successfully herd a red team off a cap, slip behind the battlefield lines, end attack the CV. I got the CV before his Mino got me.

Even though we lost it was painfully obvious that a CV very close can not see a shimakaze with AA off.

And that feeling of when a CV Capt is spotted by me does create panic. Making red look behind while being targeted in front is a bit disconcerting.

Hitting the O key and allows no AA sector reinforcement to burn off a few planes does help matters. I will soon be adding BFT to my Shimakaze captain to further increase the CV aircraft deterrence. Having the 20km torpedoes is nice once you get practiced in using them as you can make it harder for a CV to find your DD once their team is alerted by torpedoes hitting some of them and calling in air support. Which many CVs will eagerly search for the DD that surely must be nearby in that area.

Other trick I use is doing a dodging slow down maneuver as I am deploying smoke to often cause a CV to miss thanks to to most DDs thing to speed up so their aim is thrown off. Then moving around in the smoke so they don’t know exactly where I am. Mean while I can sometimes still fire off torpedoes if enemy ships are still spotted thanking to the long ranged torpedoes.

And then of course you can launch beyond the range of Radar “nets” the enemy team may have been able to organize which when coupled with the right maps can make it virtually impossible for shorter ranged torpedo DDs to be able to attack. Particularly when it’s a weekend, holiday, vacation time, or simply mass stay at home / quarantine order like now. Team quality is bad enough that odds are good that your team will not get island Radar campers sunk, or at least not for a long time. And that time lost can be detrimental to the fate of the battle.

[WORX]
Members
10,676 posts
18,567 battles
48 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

20km torpedoes have 2.5km detection of them.

Are you using them with TA or without TA ?

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

Are you using them with TA or without TA ?

I am using them without TA so that I get the full 20km range on them. Although today I have had the benefit of the slight increase in speed from that new torpedo upgrade module they added. But I have had good results in the past even without that module. It’s all in knowing when, where, and how to launch the torpedoes so that they don’t get too spread out by the time they reach 20km. I typically launch them so the 3 launchers are just barely staggered. And same trick for them when on my Yoshino only it has to make do with less torpedoes per launch wall than what Shima can manage.

Members
2,947 posts
36,731 battles
54 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Hitting the O key and allows no AA sector reinforcement to burn off a few planes does help matters. I will soon be adding BFT to my Shimakaze captain to further increase the CV aircraft deterrence. Having the 20km torpedoes is nice once you get practiced in using them as you can make it harder for a CV to find your DD once their team is alerted by torpedoes hitting some of them and calling in air support. Which many CVs will eagerly search for the DD that surely must be nearby in that area.

Other trick I use is doing a dodging slow down maneuver as I am deploying smoke to often cause a CV to miss thanks to to most DDs thing to speed up so their aim is thrown off. Then moving around in the smoke so they don’t know exactly where I am. Mean while I can sometimes still fire off torpedoes if enemy ships are still spotted thanking to the long ranged torpedoes.

And then of course you can launch beyond the range of Radar “nets” the enemy team may have been able to organize which when coupled with the right maps can make it virtually impossible for shorter ranged torpedo DDs to be able to attack. Particularly when it’s a weekend, holiday, vacation time, or simply mass stay at home / quarantine order like now. Team quality is bad enough that odds are good that your team will not get island Radar campers sunk, or at least not for a long time. And that time lost can be detrimental to the fate of the battle.

I typically attack the Smollys. This makes BBs on my team my buddy. Next priority is radar cruisers. BBs are only targets of opportunity for me. I prefer to slip past the red team undetected. Then I use misdirection like firing one set of area denial torps, then fire the other tubes when I am further away from the first launch. Players typically have trouble vectoring a DD torp launch that is undetected.

I then use my smoke to distract a CV. I pop it on one spot, then flank away to another spot. The smoke spot is launch point one, next area two, and by the time I am at point 3, I have slipped through. And I got 3 tubes ready for the CV.

I only spot him quickly to get my team to nail a shot in, then if he is low on HP, I close distance for the kill. If he is low enough, then he only has to eat two or 3.

Sign in to follow this