You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
neptunes_wrath

so the JB coal ship....and my current choices vs what I know about what I don't know about coal ships leaving the Armory

48 comments in this topic

Members
3,200 posts
591 battles

SO I am really trying to make a GOOD choice... for my main account..
I have a LOT of premium and special ships..
I got the Missouri when it became avail..and the Smol when it first came out,
I have a lot of the oldies and goodies, the Nikolai for one..I have a LOT of the old-school Premiums like the Murmansk too, LOL I guess I liked collecting them back when it was cool to do....
I got the Black not too long ago after some advice and love it, even though I am not great in it, it is a blast to play..
SO NOW I want to know what to do with my options... I can get the German commander a lot of people seem to think is a  great fit , especially for my Hindenburg with the UU but I am not sure its worth all the coal that can be used to get the JB that even MORE people seem to love having and playing...
What would you do facing this choice, and it involves me not remembering what ships are about to disappear from the coal options...even though I pride myself on being in the know for everything about this game that is as important as this particular topic...

THanks for any input you guys have...
I always come to ask and always seem to get really good info...

ON a side note the Nelson....
I have 1.5M Free XP and was entertaining getting it for the 335K it cost.....(I wanted to Freisland for a long time and never pulled the trigger...

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,108 posts
11,776 battles

The coal ships being removed are JB and smol. I’d get jb over the captain but that’s just me.

if you wanted to spend that free xp the Nelson is a fun ship and worth the free xp imo.  I have the 3 t9 free xp ships and I ranked them as 1. Alaska 2. Friesland. 3. Azuma. Again JMO 

• Cool 1

[PPNA2]
Members
522 posts
7,214 battles

JB is leaving German commander is not. I was in the same boat. I already have enough

Bb to play so I went for German commander for the secondaries. If you would play JB a lot get JB. I play German Bb more.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,192 posts
5,727 battles

JB is worth her weight in coal just for the main battery reload booster

Members
3,200 posts
591 battles
9 minutes ago, TwoLate51 said:

JB is leaving German commander is not. I was in the same boat. I already have enough

Bb to play so I went for German commander for the secondaries. If you would play JB a lot get JB. I play German Bb more.

and that is just it, I am raking my brain cause I don't know how long it will take to earn MORE coal if I get the JB first.. I have enough for only ONE and that will be it for coal for a while...

I play my Hindy and GKF more than most of my ships....

and that will likely cause even MORE issues as to what ship I put the special commander in, LOL

Edited by neptunes_wrath

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

As mentioned, both JB and Smolensk are leaving the Armory.  I would definitely get JB before it leaves ... I've had it over a year and still play it almost daily.  It makes good credits even in CoOp and is still fun to play.  I have none of the Special captains except Cunningham ... but they will be around for awhile.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,771 posts
10,923 battles
1 hour ago, _BBaby said:

JB is worth her weight in coal just for the main battery reload booster

^^^^^This.

Catching something broadside is [edited].

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles
22 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I am raking my brain cause I don't know how long it will take to earn MORE coal if I get the JB first.

I got the Smolensk on release day. Then I got Thunderer and Blyskawica at Christmas for coal without a coupon, because I'd already spent the coupon on the Black. I had to grind my snowflakes to get the Blys, and getting her just about cleaned me out.

Fast forward to late March. I got the Georgia WITHOUT a coupon just a couple of weeks ago.

That should give you an idea of how fast a 50% player who doesn't always play to Crate 3 (and gets practically nothing from ranked or clan battles) gets coal.

Get the JB, because in less than a week she will become as impossible to obtain as the Belfast, the Enterprise, etc. etc. etc. (In fact, get her RIGHT NOW if you're going to get her at all because ships have been and will continue to be pulled unexpectedly early by a day or two for all sorts of stupid reasons.)

Miss this opportunity and you will be at the mercy of RNGesus, screaming in the outer darkness and forever spilling salt about what could have been yours. There are times I go weeks without playing mine (because I have a lot and like to play them all)... but then all of a sudden she is particularly suited to some task or other and is the ONLY ship that gets the job done for me. 

The German commander can, and should, wait.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,722 posts
11,087 battles

Always go for the Ship that will be disappearing, especially since it is quite powerful.  The captain can be had later.

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

I love mine, although being a cruiser guy I can struggle to get the most out of her (very high ceiling)! Get the JB, I'd say.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,265 posts
12,206 battles

I say the JB she is going real soon the captain is staying .. Last time I had enough coal I got the thunder instead of the captain  I already had the JB . It’s hard to spend 175,000 coal on a commander it just doesn’t ‘t seem right . Now I am back to 90,000 coal and this time I’m going to get the German commander . I have all the German BBs and a Hindy so I am going to finally get him .

[USCG]
Members
747 posts
22,793 battles

I have the JB but don’t play her much since I prefer DD play. All I know is that I like having JBs on my team rather than the opposition...

[HINON]
Members
2,313 posts
22,905 battles

Ehh, I have mixed thoughts on this.

Unlike some of the ships, I'm glad I have the JB.  It's a fun ship.  But like you I have a ton of ships and even "good" ships sit by the dock a lot unless a particular mission pulls them out.  My 19pt captains though I use all up and down the line.  "If" you have a significant amount of German ships, I would probably leave the JB and just invest in the Capt.  If you don't play the German ships a lot, go with JB.

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,108 posts
11,776 battles

Good choice imo. The other thing to consider is unless you have doubloons to spend you are stuck using Lutjens on one tech tree ship. He’s real value comes later whenever and if ever these high tier premium or special ships actually get released. Odin agir etc. so waiting until you can get the most of lutjens makes sense. Anyway, enjoy JB

• Cool 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,571 posts
15,077 battles
1 hour ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I have a lot of the oldies and goodies, the Nikolai for one..I have a LOT of the old-school Premiums like the Murmansk too, LOL I guess I liked collecting them back when it was cool to do....
I got the Black not too long ago after some advice and love it, even though I am not great in it, it is a blast to play..
SO NOW I want to know what to do with my options... I can get the German commander a lot of people seem to think is a  great fit , especially for my Hindenburg with the UU but I am not sure its worth all the coal that can be used to get the JB that even MORE people seem to love having and playing...
What would you do facing this choice, and it involves me not remembering what ships are about to disappear from the coal options...even though I pride myself on being in the know for everything about this game that is as important as this particular topic...

I have 1.5M Free XP and was entertaining getting it for the 335K it cost.....(I wanted to Freisland for a long time and never pulled the trigger...

As many have mentioned, I would go for JB! JB is just plain fun and she can be fairly forgiving if you make a mistake.

Though if RNG trolls you and you lose both your turrets with almost full health still it sucks.... (Yes it happened to me, yes I was a rolling secondary build at that point)

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 1

[PEED2]
Members
159 posts
10,088 battles

JB is solid, my favorite tier 9 ship hands down.  I spec it with a semi secondary/survivability build and it wrecks ships very well.  As many have said, the reload booster alone is priceless.  It is great for randoms and ranked too if you play that mode. 

[NG-NL]
Members
394 posts
10,475 battles

Great choice, Neptune's Wrath.

Jean Bart has one use I didn't see listed yet.

MINING SALT
Take 3 Jean Barts in a division.
Stay together and focus targets.
Use voice chat so you can hear each other giggling helplessly as you say things like "BOOM" and "fire on the count of 3" and "we're going to hell for this."

I promise you, it's worth every single karma point that you will lose.

• Funny 1

[BOMBL]
Members
1,220 posts
15,717 battles
2 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I have never once regretted getting the JB.

On your side note, Nelson is a blast. Get it

• Cool 2

Members
12,597 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

As many have mentioned, I would go for JB! JB is just plain fun and she can be fairly forgiving if you make a mistake.

Though if RNG trolls you and you lose both your turrets with almost full health still it sucks.... (Yes it happened to me, yes I was a rolling secondary build at that point)

Mahalo,

-Hapa

And let me guess no Main Armaments Mod 1 and no preventive maintenance when that happened? :Smile_trollface:

Only ship I dare to play without main Arnaments Mod is the Yamato Class BBs because their turrets are so well armored that incapacitations are rare let alone getting turret destruction.

I run a partial secondary / AA build by using AR, BFT, AFT, and secondary gun signal flags on my JB just like I use on a few of my BBs. Gives the added firepower vs ship to ship combat, and enemy aircraft tend to be unhappy too. But the rest of the skills and upgrades go into stealth and survivability.

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,571 posts
15,077 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

And let me guess no Main Armaments Mod 1 and no preventive maintenance when that happened? :Smile_trollface:

Only ship I dare to play without main Arnaments Mod is the Yamato Class BBs because their turrets are so well armored that incapacitations are rare let alone getting turret destruction.

I run a partial secondary / AA build by using AR, BFT, AFT, and secondary gun signal flags on my JB just like I use on a few of my BBs. Gives the added firepower vs ship to ship combat, and enemy aircraft tend to be unhappy too. But the rest of the skills and upgrades go into stealth and survivability.

Oh I have both I believe on there, RNG was just mad at me those times I think :Smile_izmena:

-Hapa

[WOLF4]
Members
395 posts
17,283 battles

jb and I am not a bb player at heart and I play the hindy  bout everyday. The JB is fun. I say JB cuz it is going to leave and the captain will still be there.

[F4E]
Members
338 posts
6,792 battles

JB is my favorite BB thus far. And I've achieved every T10 BB in the game save Yamato, which I've played on PTS.