You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

How does this game calculautate pre match abilities?

16 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
783 posts
2,775 battles

Sorry not sure how to wordshot-20_04.03_15_39.08-0458.thumb.jpg.3f27b0a282d0e5aec5c468aea4300aec.jpg the subject but in the loading screen you can see what you're up against. I never really understood how the game calculates it? A earlier game in my Harugumo was matched against a Gearing, it said I had superior guns yet Gearings shred this boat in 5 seconds. The last game was the same in my Shiratsuyu I was matched against Mahan and according to WoWs I outgun him. Not sure how they worked this out? The Shiratsuyu has appalling guns, slow ROF, slow shells, slow rotation, low damage, slow everything. It gets chewed up by tier 5 US DD's. The Mahan is a gattling gun and will easily nail a Shiratsuyu in seconds... I go well out of my way to avoid all DD gun fights.

How is it calculated?

• Funny 2

[KWF]
Members
4,370 posts
6,405 battles

Ratings are a lie and an easy way to mislead players. 

Take Clemson for example; you double your firepower yet your "artillery" rating increases by 1.

• Cool 1

Members
2,834 posts
36,587 battles

The stats you see only shows what that player traded off compared to your ship to enhance performance. They might give up range for better secondary battery range on higher tier Battleships for example.

You probably encountered a player that equipped a specialized type of game play. Like IFHE that can not necessarily set fires but do alpha damage instead by penetration. You can actually increase your reload just by having the adrenaline rush skill and purposely get shot so some if not half your HP is gone.

On some DDs that is a major advantage.

Always never underestimate your opponent.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,025 posts
11,577 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

he last game was the same in my Shiratsuyu I was matched against Mahan and according to WoWs I outgun him. Not sure how they worked this out?

For starters last check - you don't, as I recall green means he is superior in guns and AA, not you, the red is what he's worse at - stealth and torpedoes. It's the wrong way to put it to understand easily, but that's Wargaming for you. I have both - and I know that Shiri has better stealth than Mahan and way worse AA.

1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

A earlier game in my Harugumo was matched against a Gearing, it said I had superior guns yet Gearings shred this boat in 5 seconds.

Same here - Gearing Artillery with nothing is rated 28, Harugumo (which I have BFT on) is 21

The ratings beyond that are vague. Case in point - that 52 rating on Gearing's base AA - enough DPS to take out maybe 1 tier 8 plane on the way in if they dodge flak. Texas's is 50 - it'd take out 1 in theory and heavily damage another. And Texas, despite it's lower rating, will out damage New Mexico. Cause while the range may suck at 3.5 km against a target traveling .5 km/s it still fires at them for 6-7 seconds at over 300 DPS unmodified, and another over 300 at 2 km (4 seconds more). 

Members
3,754 posts
23,311 battles
6 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Sorry not sure how to wordshot-20_04.03_15_39.08-0458.thumb.jpg.3f27b0a282d0e5aec5c468aea4300aec.jpg the subject but in the loading screen you can see what you're up against. I never really understood how the game calculates it? A earlier game in my Harugumo was matched against a Gearing, it said I had superior guns yet Gearings shred this boat in 5 seconds. The last game was the same in my Shiratsuyu I was matched against Mahan and according to WoWs I outgun him. Not sure how they worked this out? The Shiratsuyu has appalling guns, slow ROF, slow shells, slow rotation, low damage, slow everything. It gets chewed up by tier 5 US DD's. The Mahan is a gattling gun and will easily nail a Shiratsuyu in seconds... I go well out of my way to avoid all DD gun fights.

How is it calculated?

MM only matches ships by tier and class.

You are supposed to bring the skill by understanding your ships strengths and weaknesses and how they play to the map assigned. Additionally, your situational awareness or lack thereof often decides how much of the battle you play and potential damage you can deal to the enemy.

Members
443 posts
451 battles

Green he’s better than you, red he’s worse. So your Shiratsuyu has better torps and concealment than the opposing Mahan while he has you in health, guns, AA and maneuverability. That’s all stuff you either know already or soon will after gaining experience. I use the comparison rarely and usually just to see if red Shima is running different torps than mine, for example; that’s to say I find direct comparison of ships occasionally useful, but not really.

[WOLFO]
Members
538 posts
4,171 battles

i did not know this was a thing at all. neat, checking next game.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,883 posts
17,922 battles
7 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

How is it calculated?

I don't recall WG ever telling us the algorithm...probably for good reasons.

Use it as a ROUGH approximation of capabilities.  Don't take it for gospel.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,572 posts
8,531 battles
7 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Ratings are a lie and an easy way to mislead players. 

Take Clemson for example; you double your firepower yet your "artillery" rating increases by 1.

When I learned this ^, I stopped looking at those numbers.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles

The gun rating is based on damage per second.  That doesn't mean they can do anything when they actually hit.  And it doesn't account for rate of fire.  For instance, a slow firing ship might have a higher dps rating, but the faster firing ship might be able to track the target better and finish off the slower firing ship before they can get that last shot off.  The penetration value makes a difference.  A ship that hits a lot but does no damage unless hitting specific parts of a ship might have a high rating, but will lose a gun fight.

Edited by Murcc
spelling mistake

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,799 battles

Take those ratings as being VERY approximate.  I mean, REALLY approximate.  As far as I know, WG has not disclosed the formula they use to calculate these ratings, but just think for a minute.  If you wanted to reduce, say, a ship's gunnery characteristics to a single number, how would you do it?  You could calculate the ship's theoretical DPM, and compare those.  But what if one ship has larger dispersion than the other?  Well then that ship's hit rate would probably be lower, and thus it's actual DPM would drop some.  What if your ship has a really high theoretical DPM, but short range?  The other guy may be able to hit you before you can even fire back, and in that case your high DPM is worthless till you can close the range.  And so on.

So, though WG doesn't divulge their formula, I'd guess it's based on theoretical DPM, weighted for lots of factors like range, dispersion, shell velocities, and Lord only knows what else.

In short, those comparisons are interesting, but you shouldn't put too much weight on them.  Think of them as approximations, that are probably directionally accurate, but not much more than that.

[PT]
Members
783 posts
2,775 battles

Still think it's weird how it rates the Mahan guns as comparable to the Shiratsuyu.. The Hatsuharu and Shiratsuyu probably have the worst tier 6 + guns in the game. 

[SYN]
Members
1,233 posts
10,320 battles
20 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

How is it calculated?

Check the box "Show my ship" and it becomes easier to interpret

[PT]
Members
783 posts
2,775 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Check the box "Show my ship" and it becomes easier to interpret

Still shows by useless guns as been a match for the Mahan. 

shot-20.04.04_13.15.35-0294.jpg

[SYN]
Members
1,233 posts
10,320 battles
2 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Still shows by useless guns as been a match for the Mahan. 

shot-20.04.04_13.15.35-0294.jpg

That may be  per shell. I typically ignore the relative strengths of the two. I do use it to determine whether the torp ranges of the Gearing or the Shima on the red team.  Sometimes I can recognize that the red dd has the stock hull or isn't running SE.  Mine cannot be used reliably for concealment even since the Camo and CE doesn't seem to always register on that screen. Sometimes, just before dropping into the match, the concealment values of the red dd will change.  

Best thing that I have learned is to know what the other dd strengths are and play away from them.   I only wish that I could tell before dropping whether the red ships(IJN dds, YY,  Mino) are running smoke builds.