You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BanCVComplainers

Disturbing trend in WoWs

64 comments in this topic

[NH]
Members
1,760 posts

There has been a trend where every new DD either has no smoke or gimped/no torpedoes.  Can we please get a solid ship? It doesn't have to have a flashy gimmick at the expense of everything good on the ship. This is akin to a BB getting smoke but doesn't have main battery guns.

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers
  • Boring 4

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,978 posts
20,683 battles
9 minutes ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

There has been a trend where every new DD either has no smoke or gimped/no torpedoes.  Can we please get a solid ship? It doesn't have to have a flashy gimmick at the expense of everything good on the ship. This is akin to a BB getting smoke but doesn't have main battery guns.

Phew, thought it was a complaining post on me....

Pan European really need British smoke, or 7km hydro. 

They definitely need 5kts more speed.

• Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[K0]
Members
1,755 posts
8,128 battles

WG can only tweak gun and torp stats so much to differentiate destroyer trees from one another. They started experimenting with tweaking through survivability and consumables as far back as the Russian DD line.

Edited by Flashtirade
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,279 posts
25,119 battles
16 minutes ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Well, that was sorta-kinda PoW in Denmark Strait.

She was a sailing intermittent main battery casualty, and used smoke to break contact from Bismark.

• Cool 1

Members
110 posts
5,438 battles

Smoke promotes static play, something WG is trying to get away from.

For example, French and Pan-eu DDs don't get smoke, British DDs have short smokes that favor scoot and shoot tatics, Italian CAs have moving smoke, CV rework supports more active play, even the Russian BBs and upcoming cruisers reward more active play (moving close for accuracy boost).

Making more lines with smoke not only makes play more static, but its to easy to counter smoke with things like Radar, long range hydro, or just smoke firing.

• Confused 1

[_DOS_]
Members
369 posts
2,641 battles
59 minutes ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

Smoke promotes static play, something WG is trying to get away from.

For example, French and Pan-eu DDs don't get smoke, British DDs have short smokes that favor scoot and shoot tatics, Italian CAs have moving smoke, CV rework supports more active play, even the Russian BBs and upcoming cruisers reward more active play (moving close for accuracy boost).

Making more lines with smoke not only makes play more static, but its to easy to counter smoke with things like Radar, long range hydro, or just smoke firing.

They'll need to fix other things if they really want to get rid of static play...like the small maps and copious amounts of islands that allow for island camping.

• Cool 4

Members
6,857 posts
15,308 battles

The Pan EU dd's would be OP if they had smoke or stronger torps. I can't imagine how broken they would be. I don't get why people have a problem with using guns in dd's. Torps are typically an after thought for most of the dd's I play.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,078 posts
19,199 battles
2 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Can we please get a solid ship?

Not if you want a destroyer; WG hates them.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[TARK]
Members
6,523 posts
2,505 battles
2 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Torps are SO 1925...

Get with the times, Old Guard Captains...

[STAR]
Supertester
373 posts
10,986 battles

People complain all the time WoWs could have more historically accurate features... when Mk.14 torpedoes finally arrives in the game, people frown upon it.

(OK... they're mounted on the wrong ships and I can't state how better were inter- early war Swedish torpedoes compared to Americans ones)

I have been told, Ikea DDs were meant to be a challenge to DD main players. But, unlike French DDs, there would be better AA (cof!) in exchange for torpedo alpha damage.  I won~'t discuss the validity of it since I'm no DD player and  my only concern is how to hunt them down,  so concealment and torpedo armament were the only stats I went for.

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

No smoke isn't a big deal. It's very situational in high tiers with all the radar running around anyway. 

[--V--]
Members
1,410 posts
13,598 battles

Smoke allows DDs to hide from CVs.   WG loves CVs for some inexplicable reason, most of us hate them.  If  you placed a button at the beginning of a match to only go in matches without a CV,,,,, the CV Fanbois would actually see how true this is.   But I digress.  

• Cool 4

[TDRB]
Members
5,123 posts
13,731 battles
5 minutes ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Smoke allows DDs to hide from CVs.   WG loves CVs for some inexplicable reason, most of us hate them.  If  you placed a button at the beginning of a match to only go in matches without a CV,,,,, the CV Fanbois would actually see how true this is.   But I digress.  

Does WG love CV's? Could it be they are doing their best to salvage something positive out of their investment the CV rework. As divisive as the CV rework has been I doubt if WG is satisfied with the outcome considering  the $$$ spent on developing said rework.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
6,523 posts
2,505 battles
7 hours ago, Brooklin82 said:

People complain all the time WoWs could have more historically accurate features... when Mk.14 torpedoes finally arrives in the game, people frown upon it.

(OK... they're mounted on the wrong ships and I can't state how better were inter- early war Swedish torpedoes compared to Americans ones)

I have been told, Ikea DDs were meant to be a challenge to DD main players. But, unlike French DDs, there would be better AA (cof!) in exchange for torpedo alpha damage.  I won~'t discuss the validity of it since I'm no DD player and  my only concern is how to hunt them down,  so concealment and torpedo armament were the only stats I went for.

High tier Swedish DDs do have decent AA. Enough to put them on my 'there are better targets' list.

[--V--]
Members
1,410 posts
13,598 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Does WG love CV's? Could it be they are doing their best to salvage something positive out of their investment the CV rework. As divisive as the CV rework has been I doubt if WG is satisfied with the outcome considering  the $$$ spent on developing said rework. 

If they aren't satisfied with the re-work why does it remain.  All WG has done has been to nerf CV damage and screw with AA in an attempt to find a state of 'balance'.  They have YET to address the real problems introduced with the CV Rework.   Many of my friends left the game shortly after the rework and have yet to return.  I play merely a fraction of what I used too.  Although over the last few months, its more due to the proliferation of HE flameslingers at the higher tiers.

WG loves CVs because its another ship class they can hopefully sell to people.  I really don't think they care that it has negatively impacted the game experience.   Just like with the upcoming Subs which have 'homing' torpedoes.   Something to sell.  Player experience be damned.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
12 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Phew, thought it was a complaining post on me....

Pan European really need British smoke, or 7km hydro. 

They definitely need 5kts more speed.

Then play a different line. If you dont like them dont play them.

Case closed

Members
73 posts
3 hours ago, SeaborneSumo said:

In my BBs, I'd only allow CAs in my match.

Members
224 posts
6,093 battles
13 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Can we please get a solid ship?

Real destroyers during WWII would only use smoke to escape. They almost never used them to hide before making an attack. Also real destroyers during WWII could not reload their torpedoes without returning to port.

All the Destroyers here are buffed beyond belief. What's being discussed here is inching them a bit more toward reality.

BUT ITS AN ARCADE GAME !!!! DESTROYERS DOMINATE ALL ARCADE GAMES !!!!

PAC Man had destroyers? Somehow I don't remember that.

Pac-man.png

Edited by GoldDust2015
  • Boring 2

[RKLES]
Members
805 posts
41 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Then play a different line. If you dont like them dont play them.

Case closed

Dang dude, that is you argument.

You would be perfect for the WG balancing department.

Consider putting in a resume

• Funny 2

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
1 minute ago, Learux said:

Dang dude, that is you argument.

You would be perfect for the WG balancing department.

Consider putting in a resume

I have mever liked playing DD. Just dont like them I have a Fletcher and t7 on the reat but dont like them so I dont play them.

I dont like the New Orleans so I dont play it. I am not going to whine and dad WG change the thing because I dont like it.

There is no argument to be had expect by you for the only reason is to make it.

There are many that like the new DD the way they are.

Again if you dont like them then you don't. Play somthing else.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
6 minutes ago, GoldDust2015 said:

Real destroyers during WWII would only use smoke to escape. They almost never used them to hide before making an attack. Also real destroyers during WWII could not reload their torpedoes without returning to port.

All the Destroyers here are buffed beyond belief. What's being discussed here is inching them a bit more toward reality.

PAC Man had destroyers? Somehow I don't remember that.

Pac-man.png

Its true.  Toro reload should be a consumable.  There should also be a accuracy penitly in smoke and aa should not work in smoke.

[TDRB]
Members
5,123 posts
13,731 battles
1 hour ago, SeaborneSumo said:

If they aren't satisfied with the re-work why does it remain.  All WG has done has been to nerf CV damage and screw with AA in an attempt to find a state of 'balance'.  They have YET to address the real problems introduced with the CV Rework.   Many of my friends left the game shortly after the rework and have yet to return.  I play merely a fraction of what I used too.  Although over the last few months, its more due to the proliferation of HE flameslingers at the higher tiers.

WG loves CVs because its another ship class they can hopefully sell to people.  I really don't think they care that it has negatively impacted the game experience.   Just like with the upcoming Subs which have 'homing' torpedoes.   Something to sell.  Player experience be damned.

Why do CV's remain? To remove them would be admitting the rework is a failure, not only to the players but to those high in management and to investors.

WG loves BB, cruisers & DD's for the same reason.

There are repercussions from anything negative impacting the game. WG does take notice. WE, the players, do not see what is going on in the meetings at WG.

[TDRB]
Members
5,123 posts
13,731 battles

While most warships could make smoke, DD's made smoke to shield fleet movements because they were speedy & maneuverable. But radar was improving rapidly in WW2. Most Allied ships could spot & track enemy ships in smoke with radar by 1943. All had much more sophisticated radar by war's end.

No smoke was not used as a cloaking device as it is in this game.

Yes, DD's are buffed far more than any other class in the game. Yes, it is due to game balancing.

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles
4 hours ago, SeaborneSumo said:

You know what also lets DDs hide from CVs? Turning off your AA and not being a potato who sails into the caps first thing, it wasn't a good idea before CV rework and it's not a good idea now. I run IJN DDs with TRB and have never had issues with CVs.

[CDOH]
Members
378 posts
6,859 battles

The only smoke worth a damn in high tier is British dd smoke.  if you sit in smoke to long you will be torped, you will be radar-ed.  Long duration smokes are good in ranked.