Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BanCVComplainers

Mainz getting citadeled through the deck

9 comments in this topic

[NH]
Members
1,766 posts

I thought this was not possible due to the angle in which the shells drop? this is the second time its happened.

See post below

Edited by Ban_CV_Complainers

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles

Its most likely not the deck. All the German cruisers are susceptible to long(ish) range citadels since the turtle back angle gets nullified by the angle of the shell fall. Bow or prow on they simply get overmatched and the shell goes through the bulkhead.

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

It has CL level armor and German internals. It's almost certainly extremely vulnerable from a range. That combination basically guides shells into the cit at the right ranges.

[NH]
Members
1,766 posts
27 minutes ago, ksix said:

Its most likely not the deck. All the German cruisers are susceptible to long(ish) range citadels since the turtle back angle gets nullified by the angle of the shell fall. Bow or prow on they simply get overmatched and the shell goes through the bulkhead.

You were right but I could use some help with the math here. After reviewing the footage I actually got struck by 3 shells from a Massachusetts. Mass AP is 13100 damage. 3 shells hit. Full pens should be 1/3th damage overpens 1/10th and saturated is 1/6th. How does it equal 11611 damage?

Video is still processing 

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,124 posts
7,989 battles

deleted 

Edited by yashma

[NH]
Members
1,766 posts
Just now, yashma said:

It was probably three full pens with damage saturation kicking in.

I believe you are correct 13100*.33 = 4323 damage per pen at 2X full pens for 8646 damage then a final pen that went into saturation. the difference from the 11611 damage done and the 2 pens is 2965 damage remaining shell did 2965 due either the hull or ship section being out of HP.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,124 posts
7,989 battles
Just now, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

I believe you are correct 13100*.33 = 4323 damage per pen at 2X full pens for 8646 damage then a final pen that went into saturation. the difference from the 11611 damage done and the 2 pens is 2965 damage remaining shell did 2965 due either the hull or ship section being out of HP.

*It's what I thought was the most likely explanation....but I deleted my first post because I wasn't entirely sure how saturation mechanics worked.

[NH]
Members
1,766 posts
11 minutes ago, yashma said:

*It's what I thought was the most likely explanation....but I deleted my first post because I wasn't entirely sure how saturation mechanics worked.

What i'm reading is that when a shell hits it always divides the 33% between the section of the ship hit and the hull HP. if either section reaches zero HP then it will only do 16.5% to the other section. The hull always contains 75% of the ships max HP and gives the rest to the various sections.

Edit: if one section has less than 16.5% HP but greater than zero it will use it all and do 16.5% to other hull or ship part..

[WOLF3]
Members
27,058 posts
23,842 battles

Even the better armored German CAs have always been more vulnerable at range.  Even Tier X Hindenburg.

High Tier German CAs are an interesting paradox.  Their gunnery is actually very good for the reality of long range combat in High Tier.  But it's while fighting at range and BB shells start hitting, that's where the German Cruiser protection scheme falls apart.  Most especially those High Tier USN BB shells that have those high arcing shells?  When they arc up high and crash down into a Cruiser at range, that's how they get Pens / Citadels.

I love my Hindenburg but if I am engaging a Montana at range, and it seems the Montana player's aim is decent, I start to get nervous.  One good salvo from Montana and I'm eating lots of damage.

On the flip side, when I'm playing my USN BBs and engage a German CA at range, I keep at it... Eventually I'll connect, and at those distances, the way my NC, Alabama, Iowa-class, Montana shells arc up and down, I'm going to get good results.

High Tier German Cruisers are at their best when in a short ranged fight.  Proper use of angling and their very peculiar protection scheme suited for close ranged fighting, that's where they're at their best.  They become pretty stubborn targets that even BBs can struggle to put them down quickly enough before they put fish in the water.  But lots of German Cruiser players are too scared to fight like this, they prefer to fight at long range... Where the German Cruiser protection scheme is less capable in protecting the ship.

2 hours ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

You were right but I could use some help with the math here. After reviewing the footage I actually got struck by 3 shells from a Massachusetts. Mass AP is 13100 damage. 3 shells hit. Full pens should be 1/3th damage overpens 1/10th and saturated is 1/6th. How does it equal 11611 damage?

Video is still processing 

Looking at when the shells hit here...

U6gZPhu.jpg

Massachusetts got 3 shells to hit you.  The one that struck in the center of your stern is what likely Citadeled you.

Mainz has a 25mm extremity for both the bow and stern.  But even if you were in a Admiral Hipper-class, they wouldn't have saved you in that case either because 27mm extremities they have get Overmatched by 406mm guns such as found on the Massachusetts that nailed you.

Once the BB can get past that stern armor, this is what they're looking at to get to Mainz's Citadel.

TtziKXb.jpg

Another thing, when you're kiting Battleships as a Cruiser, don't give flat broadside obviously, but just as importantly, don't give them a flat view of the stern.  Because of what happened to you.  If you were angled away, the BB may not have had that flat, fully perpendicular Citadel face to crush.  If you were angled away, you may have instead ate Overpen or Pen damage at worst, but a full fledged Citadel strike would have been a lot less likely.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this