Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sweetsie

Super, Extra, Double Secret Probation CV Tips and Tricks?

30 comments in this topic

Members
6,621 posts
20,629 battles

Laughingly I know the hate will spew... but... I would also like to read or learn some abstract tips that CV's stick to or try to do every game.

Like... only focus the DD, or, only focus the widest ship or always drop first run before actually attacking....Knowing what ships to attack of course is huge but which planes to use... stuff like that. Expert CV's, ignore the noise, what makes you so good at that voodoo that you do...so well?

See the source image

[TARK]
Members
6,559 posts
2,514 battles

Spot DDs...so your team can kill them. It is not your job to deal the most damage to DDs, that is a team effort.

Your best way to help the team:

#1 Vision control at critical locations - use fighter plane

#2 Finish off low health ships.

#3 Damage battleships.

You want those battleships worrying about you..not the rest of your team. Herd them into their protective ball and then keep them huddled together.

[CLUMP]
Members
821 posts
1,168 battles

Spotting lots of spotting and do some damage here or there and maybe if you are lucky do even more damage :Smile_popcorn: Oh yeah this a no brainer don't stay still keep moving and keep eye on your minimap :Smile_hiding:

Edited by LastRemnant

[WPORT]
Members
5,458 posts
10,494 battles

If you *ever* get the opportunity, ram an opposition DD with your CV.  :-D

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,690 battles

Spotting enemy ship locations and call out with F3.

Support your DD's (they are actually the most important ship on your team as a whole)

Rocket enemy DD's to pieces.

Depending on what CV your sailing the torpedo and dive/level bombers used on cruisers to support your DD's early. BB's to farm damage.

To finish off crippled ships who limp away from the front to heal and survive.

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,172 battles

Or don’t play carriers at all? (at least not in Randoms.)

Nothing about them, to me, is worth the resultant grief.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,629 battles

Was hoping to get real CV players to respond, not the Usual Suspects and hacks.....

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,690 battles
3 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Was hoping to get real CV players to respond, not the Usual Suspects and hacks.....

lmbo

well looks like all you attracted was us hacks eh?

ibtl:cap_popcorn:

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[CLUMP]
Members
821 posts
1,168 battles
3 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Seems to me like you are playing double agent and are trying to learn our CV secrets how dare you  :Smile-angry: Don't let the spy escape with our CV intel:Smile_izmena:

Edited by LastRemnant

[5D2]
[5D2]
Members
384 posts
8,358 battles

Don’t sail straight for the border or hid behind an island 20km from anything. Position yourself where you are out of spotting, but close enough to launch frequent attacks with as little as possible travel time. This requires attention to the map and keeping an eye on if you are detected or not.

harrass the DDs. You don’t have to kill them, but flying over them, dropping fighters over them and hitting them with the occasional rockets really messes with their plans and allows your team to kill them. If you can take as much HP as possible from them with rockets.

If you want to win and win frequently. Don’t concentrate so much on farming damage. Concentrate more on using your planes to influence the flow of the battle. You can do this while getting ok damage numbers on solo ships (if possible) or weaker AA ships on the edges of blobs. 

[HINON]
Members
13,259 posts

To crush your enemies and see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[RLGN]
Members
14,302 posts
25,172 battles
17 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

To crush your enemies and see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women.

Crush the enemy destroyers, see the cruisers driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their battleships?

• Cool 1

Members
215 posts
5,330 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Spot DDs...so your team can kill them. It is not your job to deal the most damage to DDs, that is a team effort.

Your best way to help the team:

#1 Vision control at critical locations - use fighter plane

#2 Finish off low health ships.

#3 Damage battleships.

You want those battleships worrying about you..not the rest of your team. Herd them into their protective ball and then keep them huddled together.

This is the cv you hate pay attentiongiphy.gif

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

If you *ever* get the opportunity, ram an opposition DD with your CV.  :-D

This is fun especially if the dd beach himself right in front of yougiphy.gif

[INTEL]
Members
13,055 posts
36,014 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Or don’t play carriers at all? (at least not in Randoms.)

Nothing about them, to me, is worth the resultant grief.

A trick everyone should use.

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Members
1,495 posts
50 battles

Quite frankly there really aren't any special tricks when it comes to being an expert in CV play. What it really comes down to is knowledge, skill and experience. How many attacks can you get off with how many planes? What are the losses you're going to take from that and can you mitigate them via shortening your squad? How does flak aim and how can you abuse it? Where is potential island cover you can use? What ordinance type can be used against what targets effectively? In what way is your target most likely to maneuver and how can you compensate to get as much ordinance on target as possible? When can you make a first approach attack on a stealthy DD and when do you need to reset your run? What targets currently have priority and where does your team need spotting? How is the game going to develop, where are you going to position accordingly and what aircraft types will you have available? And so forth and so on.

There are a couple of little tricks you can pull such as slingshot (yes that still works) or accelerated/island assisted bailout, but they really aren't necessary to utterly dominate in randoms.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TARK]
Members
6,559 posts
2,514 battles
8 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Quite frankly there really aren't any special tricks when it comes to being an expert in CV play. What it really comes down to is knowledge, skill and experience. How many attacks can you get off with how many planes? What are the losses you're going to take from that and can you mitigate them via shortening your squad? How does flak aim and how can you abuse it? Where is potential island cover you can use? What ordinance type can be used against what targets effectively? In what way is your target most likely to maneuver and how can you compensate to get as much ordinance on target as possible? When can you make a first approach attack on a stealthy DD and when do you need to reset your run? What targets currently have priority and where does your team need spotting? How is the game going to develop, where are you going to position accordingly and what aircraft types will you have available? And so forth and so on.

There are a couple of little tricks you can pull such as slingshot (yes that still works) or accelerated/island assisted bailout, but they really aren't necessary to utterly dominate in randoms.

Well yeah...

...but this stuff requires actual work to learn. ;)

I dont think OP was looking for this kind of advice...

:p

Beta Testers
694 posts
3,697 battles
3 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Post in the forums and you will get the usual suspects no matter the Thread.

Move you ship, be erratic aswell because you will be found and a mobile target is much better than a sitting duck.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,690 battles

Thank you everyone who contributed. That was very generous of you sharing your tips to the community.:cap_like:

Members
333 posts
16,299 battles
  • Reduce your flight times by moving your ship closer to battle.
  • Beyond knowing what ships to attack, know where to attack them. Where is the citadel for your ap bombs? Where will your rockets/HE bombs penetrate, and where will they shatter? 
  • Where are your HE friendlies, so you can help stack DoT?
  • Know where enemies tend to go on each map (and at what angle) so you can preemptively line up your drops.
  • Chain your attacks (have another target in front of you when your reload completes from your first attack)
  • Fighters are for spotting.
  • You don't get bonus points for HP, planes, or consumables left at the end of the battle.
  • Change elevation with attack runs or flying over land to throw off flak.
  • Change your plane speed to throw off flak and focus your reticle.
  • On maps with uneven spawns (6 ships in one group, and 3 in another) favor the smaller group.
  • In lower tiers, dds will outrun their AA cover early. Punish them.
  • In higher tiers, bbs will often lag behind their AA cover early. Punish them.
Edited by Telastyn
  • Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
6,559 posts
2,514 battles

If the enemy DD is proving adept at dodging your torpedo attacks (low tier CVs without strong rocket planes)...put some RNG into your drop. Widen that reticle. Unlike the RTS drops, the reticle only shows a probability distribution of where those torpedoes will fall.

Make it unpredictable...

• Boring 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

Very average CV player as I get nauseous after a few matches:

1. Look to position my CV either behind a land mass, a good screen, or better still both.

2. Fly rocket planes across the map trying to spot the enemy front line and immediate supporting ships for your team.

3. I then try to spot/attack the DD that faces the ships on my side that stand the best chance of killing the DD fast (Dakka Dakka).

This I hope will give my side the advantage before our Lord RNG has a chance to unload a box of s Spanners into the works.

4. I then rinse and copy, always looking at the mini-map to see:

a. If I need to move, for safety of my CV or to get closer to a combat area.

b. If I see the team having a problem in an area, or close to breaking through, I help.

c. If I see a lone ship, where a and b isn't priority, then I go after it.

I believe whereas WG have made the BB and Cruisers attack/support, and DDs a support/objective ship, they made the CV a support ship.

So I play it that way. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[5D]
Members
1,065 posts
13,580 battles

here some important tips only play OP CV that mean the enterprise the rest are sub par 

dont chase the DD unless they are getting too close ,

they are a waste of time you can be more effective nuking that cruiser or BB ,

You run Concealment on your cv so you can be closer of the front line  shortening the flight time and getting more done ,

you dont spot for the team most of the time the team will do nothing ,

There no team to start with ,there only you so that guys o nthe other  side asking for AA help you ignore it he a waste of time anyway and your fighter are basically useless

you dont park behind island were a DD can sneak on you you stay mobile with the auto pilot

Know which ship you can attack with the best type of plane

the best tips of all having good map awareness and being able to read the flow of the battle soo many time i see CV  getting deleted because they didnt look their map even if they flow all around ....

IF you can play and follow all those you will eventually get something like that and him not the average CV player either ..

1562543846_topenterprise.thumb.png.16d7ec76bb6b342742e7048b1d6ee1c8.png

shot-20.03.27_22.44.38-0404.jpg

shot-20.03.23_02.48.07-0714.jpg

shot-20.03.21_22.38.52-0606.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,629 battles
9 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Well yeah...

...but this stuff requires actual work to learn. ;)

I dont think OP was looking for this kind of advice...

:p

Actually it was the only thing worth reading in this thread. Every other response was a waste of my time. Finally got a decent player to give his opinion.

Members
6,621 posts
20,629 battles
1 hour ago, dad003 said:

here some important tips only play OP CV that mean the enterprise the rest are sub par 

dont chase the DD unless they are getting too close ,

they are a waste of time you can be more effective nuking that cruiser or BB ,

You run Concealment on your cv so you can be closer of the front line  shortening the flight time and getting more done ,

you dont spot for the team most of the time the team will do nothing ,

There no team to start with ,there only you so that guys o nthe other  side asking for AA help you ignore it he a waste of time anyway and your fighter are basically useless

you dont park behind island were a DD can sneak on you you stay mobile with the auto pilot

Know which ship you can attack with the best type of plane

the best tips of all having good map awareness and being able to read the flow of the battle soo many time i see CV  getting deleted because they didnt look their map even if they flow all around ....

IF you can play and follow all those you will eventually get something like that and him not the average CV player either ..

1562543846_topenterprise.thumb.png.16d7ec76bb6b342742e7048b1d6ee1c8.png

Great stuff. I have some good games but find myself trying to do to much for everyone. And you are right 90% of the time I try to help others its a wasted effort.

[TARK]
Members
6,559 posts
2,514 battles
1 hour ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Actually it was the only thing worth reading in this thread. Every other response was a waste of my time. Finally got a decent player to give his opinion.

...you missed the emoji...I was being sarcastic.

Sign in to follow this