You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Potato_Smasher

World of Warships Ship Opinions: Fuso

9 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Members
1,119 posts
5,583 battles

World of Warships Ship Opinions: Fuso

Get Dunked on 

Sniper battleships aren’t a new thing. The Japanese have been doing it since day one of World of Warships, and it’s no different today, either. And one of the original representatives of the class, Fuso, still performs admirably in given circumstances. It has a massive HP pool, monstrous broadside, insane range, and, unfortunately, a detection range to match as well. Regardless, this Japanese superdreadnought is still one of the original butt-kicking machines that ruled the seas, and of course, we need to know whether or not it still performs as it did all those years ago.

Armor: Glass Cannon

Pros: Monster HP pool, excellent distributed armor scheme, powerful torpedo bulge

Cons: Distributed armor equals terrible citadel protection, massive target

It’s kind of hard to take down Fuso, but at the same time, it’s incredibly easy to take it down as well. Fuso has a distributed armor scheme that better protects the entire ship, with a 35mm deck, 110mm forward plating, some of the most heavily armored turrets at Tier 6, and an excellent torpedo bulge that reduces damage by 34 percent. That being said, her primary armor belt is hardly an improvement over the Tier 5 Kongo, with a huge and exposed citadel and just 12 inches of armor to protect it’s otherwise monster HP pool of 57,100 hit points, which is just behind Arizona and Mutsu. Overall, Fuso is quite a challenge to take down when properly positioned, but she falls apart quite easily when out of position, and quite a bit faster than the other Tier 6 battleships. Then again, it’s not like it’s hard to position her…

Rating: Good

Armament: Sniper at it’s best

Pros: Powerful broadside, excellent accuracy, fast reload, MONSTER firing range, interesting gun layout

Cons: Pitiful shell velocity at longer ranges, interesting gun layout is also very inconvenient, pathetic secondary battery against PEF or Bayern

There’s no question as to who is the best long range BB at Tier 6. Fuso’s 12 356mm/45 41st Year Type rifles lance out to 21.8km, which puts her in the company of some Tier 10 battleships in terms of striking range, and she’s capable of putting 12 shells into the air every 28 seconds as well, which makes her a ferocious long range bombardment platform, and let’s not forget the excellent IJN BB dispersion curve, lest we look like total idiots. However, her shell arcs begin to look like USN 127mm guns at longer ranges, which makes leading targets a chore at said ranges. Also, Fuso’s gun arcs are very inconvenient, having to show full broadside to get all 12 guns on target, due to the fact that, unlike all the other 12 gun BBs at Tier 6, which have triple turrets ( Normandie has quadruple turrets, being the only exception ), Fuso uses the same dual turrets from Kongo. Her secondaries are also terrible, compared to the P.E.F or Bayern, the current kings of secondaries at Tier 6. Overall, Fuso’s armaments show preference towards a sniper playstyle, and doing otherwise usually means trouble. Also, you’ll want to keep at that range, lest you become carrier food.

Rating: Good

AA: Haha, very funny

Pros: It has AA, at least

Cons: Everything else

I want to move on from this, but I still have to do it, so whatever. Fuso does have AA, but it’s terrible. Like most Japanese Battleships, she has no mid-range AA to speak of, which makes torpedo drops surprisingly easy to execute on a Fuso. Her short range is out in open mounts and is extremely easy to strip away, and her long range does no favors either, falling far behind even the New Mexico in long range AA power.

There, all done. That was easy, moving on.

Rating: Horrendous

Maneuverability: Japanese Brick

Pros: Relatively tight turning radius, acceptable speed, decent rudder shift.

Cons: Can’t out-turn Bayern and New Mexico, still slow.

Fuso certainly isn’t going to win any awards. The fastest Battleship at this tier is the Dunkerque, at 29.5 knots. The tightest turning battleship is Bayern, at 630 meters, and the New Mexico has the fastest rudder at 11.9 seconds. This puts the Fuso in a rather awkward situation where it’s kind of good, but kind of bad, with her 24.5 knots of speed, 740 meter radius, and a rudder shift time of 14.9 seconds. Of course, given it’s role it doesn’t have to turn very often, but it’s still a chore to get this massive warship up and about when she needs to do her own share of torpedobeats to stay afloat. While it could be worse, it’s still quite bad. As it stands, it only merits a “Poor”. If Fuso was a knot faster or had 30 meters shaved off of her turning radius, it would certainly be enough to rate her as “Acceptable” in this category. Otherwise, no.

Rating: Poor

Stealth: Shoulda removed that Pagoda

Pros: Ominous presence when top tier, small aerial detection radius

Cons: Largest surface detection radius in the game

Short of ducking behind a really tall island, Fuso cannot hide whatsoever. Her base detection radius is 18.9 kilometers, and because she’s Tier 6, she does not have access to the 5th upgrade slot, which means that she can only minimize her surface detection radius to a still massive 16.5 kilometers. This is the same as or very close to the stock detection radius of some Tier 7 and 8 battleships, such as Bismarck and Amagi, which is, to say the least, absolutely embarrasing. The one thing she has going for her here is the fact that her aerial detection radius is quite small, at around 9 kilometers. Then again, it hardly matters whether or not she’s spotted from the air by carrier aircraft, because she’s constantly spotted from the surface. I’m tempted to write this off as Wargaming just forgetting to fix something from the Concealment rework, but given that WeeGee has done nothing to fix it over the time span from then until now, and they have not stated that they will do anything, it seems like it will be the fault of Japanese designers for sticking Nelson’s column and a pagoda onto what is otherwise a fantastic warship.

Rating: Horrendous

The Verdict

Armor: 4 / 5

Armaments: 4 / 5

AA: 1 / 5

Maneuverability: 2 / 5

Stealth: 1 /5

Overall score: 12 / 25 ( Mehbote )

General Writer Review: Why did you have to stick that damn Pagoda on her?

Fuso honestly didn’t deserve this. She has so much potential, but it’s held back by the fact that she’s a huge warship and cannot hide. As of now, she’s just a Mehbote, and at the very bottom of the scale, too. If she had better stealth or better agility, she’d still be a mehbote, but a better mehbote. As of now, no.

Welp, that’s all I got for now. The Bourgogne review will come tonight at around 6:00 or so, and I will finally ( FINALLY ) get down to doing another comparison test, and it will be Budyonny and La Galissoniere.

Peace!

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula
  • Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

i don't consider it a sniper at all, sure it can shoot along way, and with 12 guns you stand an ok chance of hitting but too often your shot can just straddle the target at long range.

But a lucky cit/dev strike on a cruiser at 20k sure feels nice.  One of my favourites so far but I am relatively inexperienced... and my opinion or thoughts need to be taken with a lot of salt :)

[KWF]
Members
5,771 posts
7,007 battles

Would like to add that Fuso, along with Normandie and Izmail to a certain degree, benefits alot from the lack of any large superstructure, meaning most HE will shatter. This lends quite a bit to the survivability of the ship.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
235 posts
12,285 battles

I found the Fuso to be an excellent brawler. (not the broadside to broadside brawl but in sense of maneuvering close combat.)  Because of the turret layout you can fight 2 target simultaneously and you have accurate and fast loading guns (28 sec).

Stealth for a fighting BB is unimportant because once you open fire you can't hide anymore and you don't have the speed to pull out of visual range.

The main problem I found is the range of the guns because it attracts all the cowards and bad players. It lets them sit back and the hits they score gives them the feeling that they influence the outcome of a match. In reality, even so they have a good score, most of the time they don't do anything match deciding. They don't cap. They aren't able to take out DDs and maneuvering CAs from that distance. All they can do is skimming the first 50% of damage off the BBs and that, in most cases, is not match deciding. Plus most of those guys are horrible BB fighters. Most of the time the match is won before the fight gets to them and if the fight get to them they can claim they did their part and it was the rest of the team that lost the match, or they blame bad shooting luck on their side and superior luck or even cheating on the other side.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,381 posts
12,237 battles
48 minutes ago, Nergy said:

I found the Fuso to be an excellent brawler. (not the broadside to broadside brawl but in sense of maneuvering close combat.)  Because of the turret layout you can fight 2 target simultaneously and you have accurate and fast loading guns (28 sec).

Stealth for a fighting BB is unimportant because once you open fire you can't hide anymore and you don't have the speed to pull out of visual range.

The main problem I found is the range of the guns because it attracts all the cowards and bad players. It lets them sit back and the hits they score gives them the feeling that they influence the outcome of a match. In reality, even so they have a good score, most of the time they don't do anything match deciding. They don't cap. They aren't able to take out DDs and maneuvering CAs from that distance. All they can do is skimming the first 50% of damage off the BBs and that, in most cases, is not match deciding. Plus most of those guys are horrible BB fighters. Most of the time the match is won before the fight gets to them and if the fight get to them they can claim they did their part and it was the rest of the team that lost the match, or they blame bad shooting luck on their side and superior luck or even cheating on the other side.

I agree 100%. Fuso is a perfectly OK slugging BB. I have no idea why people keep hiding in the back with it. It isn't the best armored T6 BB but it isn't bad either. Honestly the bad turret arrangement hurts it more than the armor does. Sniping from long distance just lets the other team control the flow of the match and forces the rest of your team to make up for it. Some cruisers have to play that way, BBs don't. 

• Cool 1

Members
712 posts
9,737 battles

Heresy! How dare you Mehbote the Fuso. One of my all-time favorites.

Ok, the AA is terrible and it can be seen from outer space.

However...

1)It erases cruisers(including tier 8s) better than any other tier 6 BB. 12 guns, quick reload, range and reasonable accuracy means frequent dev strikes on cruisers of all shapes and sizes, sometimes from 20km. Yes please.

2)It uptiers better than most other tier 6 ships. In a tier 8 match Fuso can still have an impact by utilizing it's range early to keep the guns singing while staying alive and it's cruiser killing ability remains excellent.

3)The range of course. It's easy to pile up 10k or 20k of damage before enemy ships are even in range to shoot at you.

4)It's a tankier ship than it gets credit for. Keep your angling discipline and time your volleys between enemy salvos and you fear no other tier 6 BB in a 1 v. 1 engagement. Sides are a little squishy to BB AP though, watch your positioning.

5)In a tier 6(and even tier 7) matches tbh it's a flat out bully. I feel like I can anchor and win any flank I take it to assuming equal numbers of enemy ships. The only thing I really fear in a Fuso is excessive CV attention.

I think any bad rep the ship gets is from inexperienced players that only snipe from max range and don't utilize it's full capabilities.

A favorite all-time ship, and still a monster in the right hands.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,265 posts
12,206 battles

@Shrayes_Bhagavatula Nice write up +1 . Bourgogne is a ship I will never get it's too much steel for me but I really want it so I will be interested to see what you think of her .

[PRVTR]
Members
1,119 posts
5,583 battles
On 4/2/2020 at 12:13 PM, Dr_Powderfinger said:

I think any bad rep the ship gets is from inexperienced players that only snipe from max range and don't utilize it's full capabilities.

A favorite all-time ship, and still a monster in the right hands.

I agree with this. I played the Fuso as a midrange ship, just beating down cruisers that were silly enough to wander within range. Of course, my writing is largely objective, rather than subjective, and let's be real, the accuracy is just painfully awkward from time to time...

:SerB: