You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SKurj

AFK vs Disco'd and load in...

15 comments in this topic

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,915 posts

In WoT if a player loses connection, or has a crash prior to the match starting their name appears "greyed out" or dimmer than the rest of the players.  Is this the same in WoWs?

In WoT if the players name is not greyed and they don't move its safe to assume they are afk and ppl report.  I have seen multiple cases, (at least 4 yesterday) where a player didn't move, but their name was not greyed out.  In 2 of the cases the player did eventually move  (way too late to save the match of course, in both cases we were well over 5 minutes into the game by that time)

In 2 other cases the player never moved...

and of course there was the kongo...  (not one of the 4 afk's) match started he moved off the line but headed in a different direction to the rest of the group he spawned with.  Looked like he was going to hang in the back and snip, that's fine..  well 5 mins later i look at the map and he is way back stuck on the edge of the map nowhere near the fight.  Another player posted in chat asking if he was going to help...    and we actually get a respone...   "oo sorry yep"  

well again too late...  i reported him...  

I reported 4 of these guys/girls, the other wasn't on our team.  Am I being too heavy handed?  I know how the system works, and if these are rare occurrences for these players I know they are fine, they don't have to worry about any sort of discipline, but at the same time if they are repeat offenders I know I did the right thing...

[REVY]
Members
2,629 posts
14,403 battles

The load in screen which shows the players in the battle does show who is in at that point. A filled in circle means loaded while an open circle isn't.

Once the game gets going, you can tell by the turrets.

If a person is loaded in, the turrets will automatically track to where the player is currently pointing his view, in this case straight forward. So the bow guns will point straight forward and the aft guns will rotate until they point as close to forward as they can. Essentially, the person is loaded in, but for whatever reason is not at the keyboard.

If the person is not loaded in, the turrets remain in their 'at rest' position, which is pretty much bow guns facing forward, aft guns facing aft and no turrets rotating at all.

As for being heavy handed, no you aren't. If they are consistently being reported for AFK the system should take notice of it. Enough reports should generate something. By not reporting them its that much longer till the system notices. If its just a one time thing, yeah, they get reported, but as it isn't consistent, they can get by without an issue.

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,565 posts
15,072 battles
14 minutes ago, SKurj said:

In WoT if a player loses connection, or has a crash prior to the match starting their name appears "greyed out" or dimmer than the rest of the players.  Is this the same in WoWs?

In WoT if the players name is not greyed and they don't move its safe to assume they are afk and ppl report.  I have seen multiple cases, (at least 4 yesterday) where a player didn't move, but their name was not greyed out.  In 2 of the cases the player did eventually move  (way too late to save the match of course, in both cases we were well over 5 minutes into the game by that time)

In 2 other cases the player never moved...

and of course there was the kongo...  (not one of the 4 afk's) match started he moved off the line but headed in a different direction to the rest of the group he spawned with.  Looked like he was going to hang in the back and snip, that's fine..  well 5 mins later i look at the map and he is way back stuck on the edge of the map nowhere near the fight.  Another player posted in chat asking if he was going to help...    and we actually get a respone...   "oo sorry yep"  

well again too late...  i reported him...  

I reported 4 of these guys/girls, the other wasn't on our team.  Am I being too heavy handed?  I know how the system works, and if these are rare occurrences for these players I know they are fine, they don't have to worry about any sort of discipline, but at the same time if they are repeat offenders I know I did the right thing...

Aloha,

As stated above most of the time you can look at their turret orientation and you will know if they EVER connected. If all turrets are centerlined and not repositioned they never connected and it's not technically an AFK, they could have crashed etc.

Currently A LOT of ISP's are having equipment issues, case in point I know for a fact that Comcast has an L1 switch down in the western states and AT&T has a switch down in the east whatever part handles Georgia specifically). Due to the higher than normal traffic on all ISP's some are getting more frequent disconnects and crashes.

Also, remember that WoT and WoWS are two totally different development teams, so A LOT of the features they have do not translate over.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,915 posts
4 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Also, remember that WoT and WoWS are two totally different development teams, so A LOT of the features they have do not translate over.

Yeah this was my main reason for this post, I can tell in WoT pretty easily, i just needed to know how it differed over here.

Thanks to both of you.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

I just report them all, of course i wait a few min to see if they are really AFK. If they are loaded into the game but still AFK, they shouldnt press the battle button. If they are not loaded into the game, for conection issues, they shouldnt play a online game with unstable conection. 

Of corse, IRL problems happen to all of us, i dont expect a player that is AFK once in a while to be punished. But if this happens too much with a player than he should be punished. He is putting his team at disavantage when he clearly cound/should not be playing the game. 

Members
208 posts
10,472 battles

I’m one of the culprits. I still only have a HD and no SSD. It’s not uncommon for me to spawn at about 18-16 minutes of game time. I think 14:30 is my personal best. Some times I spawn at the start or at about 19:30, can never predict. I have had a few games over the last six months or so when I never spawn, but I can hear the battle around me and people hitting me from the mission screen. I get pinked for that. This only started happening in the last year or so.

Also, I have been dropped from the game (disconnected)  or have my internet go out mid-game. In these cases, I sometimes can get back into the game before I’m sink or the game is over.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,915 posts
4 minutes ago, USSCurtis said:

I’m one of the culprits. I still only have a HD and no SSD. It’s not uncommon for me to spawn at about 18-16 minutes of game time. I think 14:30 is my personal best. Some times I spawn at the start or at about 19:30, can never predict. I have had a few games over the last six months or so when I never spawn, but I can hear the battle around me and people hitting me from the mission screen. I get pinked for that. This only started happening in the last year or so.

Also, I have been dropped from the game (disconnected)  or have my internet go out mid-game. In these cases, I sometimes can get back into the game before I’m sink or the game is over.

That would not be cured by an  SSD..  you have some other issue...      I'd post in the support forum your system specs.  I have the game on an normal old tech hdd, that is years old  (PC is 6-7 yrs old now)...  and get in before countdown has finished easily.

• Cool 1

[-TBP-]
[-TBP-]
Members
19 posts
4,465 battles

So call a timeout to turn back and look at the boat that hasn't moved? When should that happen while playing the objective and dodging planes? I've had WoWs crash and I come back pink. Then, because it's funny, I'll catch a "stray" friendly round to make that match not count to the 3. DCs should be treated different to true AFKs. People report well before they think. So I don't think along people to look at battery orientation is ideal.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,915 posts
1 hour ago, gingavitisx said:

So call a timeout to turn back and look at the boat that hasn't moved? When should that happen while playing the objective and dodging planes? I've had WoWs crash and I come back pink. Then, because it's funny, I'll catch a "stray" friendly round to make that match not count to the 3. DCs should be treated different to true AFKs. People report well before they think. So I don't think along people to look at battery orientation is ideal.

the game can't tell what a true dc is...   we all know that player who would just unplug his network cable in a losing match...   think about it for awhile...

and if it doesn't happen often you are fine you won't be penalized if it happens alot you should be fixing the issue.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
827 posts
7,428 battles
2 hours ago, USSCurtis said:

My old laptop was similar. Long load times, cruddy graphics, and low FPS (average 16-24 FPS). Watching as torpedos would stutter across the screen. Bumping up the RAM helped a bit, as well as the 12% graphics mod. Small maps loaded quicker than the big ones. SSD would help somewhat, but you need to have a CPU/GPU up to the task as well.

Members
208 posts
10,472 battles
18 hours ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

My old laptop was similar. Long load times, cruddy graphics, and low FPS (average 16-24 FPS). Watching as torpedos would stutter across the screen. Bumping up the RAM helped a bit, as well as the 12% graphics mod. Small maps loaded quicker than the big ones. SSD would help somewhat, but you need to have a CPU/GPU up to the task as well.

Thanks. I’ve always had that, but I used to spawn before the start of the battle, or very nearly. The thing of spawning very late is only in the last year or so. Maybe it’s only on the large maps, had not thought of that. 

I wish I had bought a new laptop when I had money and no time.  Now I have time and no money.

[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,881 battles

My personal view on this, for what it's worth.  Life happens.  I've been the AFK guys sometimes.  I've experienced long load-ins, keyboard freezes, and disconnects in the middle of the game, none of which I have any control over.  I've also experienced the unexpected phone call or knock at the door, or scream and crash of...something...from the kitchen, or...you get the idea.  I suspect very few people que up the game, then just decide to go off and read a good book.

On top of that, I'm so busy in a typical game that I have no time to even notice if some one someplace on the map is AFK.  Many's the time I've noticed at some point in a game that a ship doesn't seem to be moving, and wonder, very briefly, how long he's been that way.  But it really doesn't matter.  It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.  I play whatever cards the game has dealt me.  My team either wins or loses, and I move on to the next match.

So...my personal choice is, I NEVER report anyone for AFK.

Members
443 posts
451 battles

I’ve been disconnected, or lagged so badly the game was literally unplayable, so I generally give afk’rs a break. The only exception being those people who obviously abandon the game or rage quit. Hate that more than anything else about online gaming. You ain’t gotta like it, but if you can’t stand losing, don’t load in.

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

My order of report.

AFK after 18:00
Rage Quit
Useless player (I will first blacklist someone) my way of telling me privately if the person is a damage farmer or just flat out abuse if chat. I see them again ill flip off the blacklist and if they show they are improved in skill or chat i write off the first time as just a off day or game. Do it again and report and perma blacklist and then ill report you everytime i see you. There is only about 10 people that fit this so its not hard to keep tabs. Most people just have an off day or game but there are a few who just ruin the fun of the match.