You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Ships for rent! What have you tried, and how did it match up to your expectations?

22 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,140 posts
14,323 battles

I'll start by saying that this is not the place to complain about the rental mechanism or the concept.

What I want to know is this - if you got to play one or more ships that you were always curious about, how did they do? Were they everything you thought they would be? Or did you spend your 250 doubloons/250K credits to find that you had actually avoided a very expensive mistake?

I'll start. I was overjoyed to find that the Yudachi was the first ship in my rent-for-credits carousel (others' results will differ). I know the reviews were rather 'meh' on her when she first came out, and she has continued to be a ship that nobody, anywhere seems to rave about. Yet the promise of a Shiratsuyu with torpedo reload booster AND smoke was an interesting one, and I thought I knew how it might be leveraged in co-op (which I play a lot of). 

Practice turned out to be a bit different from principle, in that there were a lot of foolish, reckless, kill-greedy idiots who stormed into caps right in front of me, either denying me any sort of shot or giving me some rather heart-stopping moments when I thought I might be looking at a dash of pink. I was thus often unable to serve up the hefty dose of torpedo soup that I thought I would be able to generate, but the promise was definitely there. The guns are slow to load and slow to turn. This ship is nobody's brawler, but I think she will do nicely for setting fires on ships I have flooded. At the end, I recovered the credits I had spent to rent her. I did not mount modules on her because she's a temporary ship and I was low on cash, but no doubt I would have been even more satisfied than I was.

I had fun with her in my brief tryout, and I'll be waiting for either a discount offer or for the ship to come into the armory for doubloons (and be available cheap with a coupon). I do still have her tonight for a bit, but most of the focus will be on accumulating base XP in the Vasteras I just unlocked.

The second ship in the rotation for credits (I will not pay doubloons) was the Haida, which I already own, so I stopped at that point. 

• Cool 3

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

I grabbed a few yesterday mainly for the 6pt captains, and only sailed one, the Mutsu...

My only recent experience with IJN bb's has been fuso (though I did finally get to Nagato last night).

Mutsu... guns trolled me abit, or rather RNG...  it still is nice seeing the lower dispersion after driving Fuso.  Oh and it wasn't fun getting citadelled bow on by a scharnhorst at 10k....  that was a first for me.  I could use an IJN bb captain trainer, and the rental showed me that Mutsu is not the one for me (mostly due to lack of armor..)

[ARGSY]
Members
20,140 posts
14,323 battles
40 minutes ago, SKurj said:

I grabbed a few yesterday mainly for the 6pt captains, and only sailed one, the Mutsu...

My only recent experience with IJN bb's has been fuso (though I did finally get to Nagato last night).

Mutsu... guns trolled me abit, or rather RNG...  it still is nice seeing the lower dispersion after driving Fuso.  Oh and it wasn't fun getting citadelled bow on by a scharnhorst at 10k....  that was a first for me.  I could use an IJN bb captain trainer, and the rental showed me that Mutsu is not the one for me (mostly due to lack of armor..)

You should be in a position to make an interesting comparison, given that the Mutsu is a premium-ized version of what used to be the Nagato A hull. 

I quite like my Mutsu, but if experience has shown you that she's not right FOR YOU, then fair enough. Given where you are now, your options for a premium IJN BB are Tier 7 Ashitaka or Tier 8 Kii, the first of which is a downtiered Amagi A hull and the second of which is a parallel variant at Tier 8 but with torpedo tubes. Ashitaka used to have a terrible reputation because she originally had downgraded ballistics compared to Amagi, but that was rectified in the second half of 2018. I was thinking seriously about getting her, but found myself with enough FXP at the end of 2018 to get the Musashi before she was pulled. I didn't strictly need the Mutsu, but she was half price in the sales last summer and that made her worth the gamble. I play a lot of co-op, so I tend to get more use out of the torpedoes than your average randoms player might.

[PDCB]
Members
453 posts
8,426 battles

I had to buy several bundles to get the Lazo and Lenin to make a test with them. Yesterday I played a lot with them and I liked both ships, but I'm thinking on buying the Lenin and use her to grind my future Kuznetzov.

Because of the rental is just for 24h, I didn't had the enough time to play with the DDs.

Tonight I'm gonna try the Bayard, and tomorrow maybe the Alabama.

I liked the idea of making bundles for rental premium ships, it's a good way to test ships before buying them.

[HELLS]
Members
2,663 posts
27,185 battles

Tried nothing. Don't need to. They allow renting the Missouri but won't sell a ship that everybody wants in the Premium shop. She would be the only ship in that bunch that I think would be worth getting, at least for me. wth!

[ARGSY]
Members
20,140 posts
14,323 battles
1 minute ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Tried nothing. Don't need to. They allow renting the Missouri but won't sell a ship that everybody wants in the Premium shop. She would be the only ship in that bunch that I think would be worth getting, at least for me. wth!

My guess is that's for the people who've decided they want to spend enough at Christmas to whale her, but want to be sure that the performance and playstyle match the reputation. 

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
807 posts
7,168 battles

I would love to try Missouri or Musashi, but my first rental is an Atago, which I already have so I'm not renting any of them not wanting to waste doubloons.

I've always wanted Missouri to grace my port with her presence, even if only temporarily. To me, her appeal isn't the credit earning potential, but rather her historic significance.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

yeah I won't be spending dbl, but i will be getting all the credit rentals.  As far as Mutsu goes, it is a ship i will add to my fleet at some point, but it doesn't really offer me what I want at the moment.  Kii and Ashitaka...  not sure which, yes Musashi would be the one i ultimately want and I hope to collect all the IJN bb's eventually.

[APES]
Members
991 posts
6,315 battles

Ships I tried in the Armory rent-a-ship:

Kidd

I seem to have good luck in this boat. Both her torpedos and guns seem competent.

Monaghan

Unbearably weak ship. I read some guides and used the B hull. Her torpedos are just not as threatening as they should be from a torpedo boat. And her guns are so bad.

Gascogne

Incredibly stronger than I thought. A certain CC is an idiot for using a "survivability build" with this battleships, sniping, and then concluding the ship is bad. I used my Republique's 19 point secondary-build captain, and I find her as competent as the Mamie. Compared to Mamie, she has weaker AA, weaker torpedo belt, and weaker counter against DDs, but she is faster at 32 knots. (Did I forget to mention that, without IFHE & against cruisers, her secondaries actually have higher DPS than that of the Mamie?)

Vanguard

The ship is quite strong, but I find the playstyle annoying. She is extremely proficient at deleting cruisers at any range. I also disagree with a certain CC's guide recommending using only HEs against battleships. I find her 15-inch APs plenty capable at penetrating BBs' armor. However, Vanguard is inept at brawling and makes certain pushing situations tricky. I eventually settled at formula to preserve as much health as possible into the endgame, so even though the ship herself is weaker against NC in close range, if I have 35k more health and 1 more teammate than him, I'm still going to win the brawl.

A good game I had in the Vanguard:

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,062 posts
36,040 battles

I tried the Lenin and realized once again why I don't like Soviet battleships with their bow tanking play style and their long long reload. It was pretty much what I thought it would be.

Members
235 posts

My first silver roll I got the Graf Spee and really enjoyed it, which is odd because, thus far I haven't enjoyed any German ship(not saying they are bad, just really kind of dull). My first roll for Doubloons I got the Kutuzov, but I didn't want her for 24hrs it would just depress me that I wouldn't be able to keep her!

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles

I actually haven't used either of the rental systems in the Armory, but I have in some cases tried ships before buying them through via events.

The last pumpkin event I tried out several ships including Asashio and Ashitaka, both of which found their way into my port in one way or another. Sirocco I also tried out, and then got via a santa crate in December. In years previous I tested out Republique in the space battles, which definitely sold me on it. Besides that there is one ship I've tried out that I haven't bought or really made progress toward: Moskva, which I also tried out during the space battles. That ship was just... Just dirty. I felt unclean after playing it, so I'm okay with being stuck on Shchors right now.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

i rented em all (credits only) for the captains... I only had time to play a couple, i liked the lenin. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,140 posts
14,323 battles
2 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Besides that there is one ship I've tried out that I haven't bought or really made progress toward: Moskva, which I also tried out during the space battles. That ship was just... Just dirty. I felt unclean after playing it, so I'm okay with being stuck on Shchors right now.

Remember, you can do anything you want so long as you go to Confession afterwards.:fish_haloween:

I've been trying the Moskva out in co-op in PTS (I have her in my main port, waiting to go premium). She makes me feel the same way I did the first time I took the Thunderer out - drunk with power and the will to destroy. Bots don't have feelings, so I have no problems being dirty there. Oh, did I mention that I have the Smolensk as well, to the same end? :cap_haloween:

[CO-OP]
Members
1,491 posts
24,748 battles

Bayard, very nice boat, felt at home in my first game with her. Would I buy her for $45... no.

[CLUMP]
Members
828 posts
1,171 battles

Scharnhorst seems like find a ship at first but after a couple of plays I have noticed one thing anything lights up :Smile-angry: HE shells from DDs Cruiser BBs literally this one time at beginning of the match HE shell volley from a DD one-hit boom instant fire :Smile_sceptic: Don't get me to start it on how everything pens it AP from any ship it's like the shells hit exactly in the weakest points to do the most damage :Smile_smile: Turrets and torp launchers getting in the most weirds way or time is really annoying :fish_palm: I am just lucky all game stop stores are closed if not I would have bought it :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFC]
Members
2,875 posts
16,319 battles

There are several ships I would like to try out that aren't available for testing in the PTS.  But to do so, WG first needs to implement a legitimate rental event ... not another loot box scheme.  I have no interest in renting ships I already have in inventory or know I won't buy (or be able to buy) to gamble on one of interest showing up.  So, nothing tried ... and, nothing later bought.

[INTEL]
Members
13,062 posts
36,040 battles

BUT... the rental for credits thing is a great idea. I wish they would make it a regular thing. Rent any ship for credits or a token doubloon payment, any time, for 24 hours. 

Edited by Taichunger

[APES]
Members
991 posts
6,315 battles
49 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

BUT... the rental for credits thing is a great idea. I wish they would make it a regular thing. Rent any ship for credits or a token doubloon payment, any time, for 24 hours. 

I know, right? I feel so hurt that this great rent-a-ship feature is taken away so soon.

[APES]
Members
991 posts
6,315 battles

Instead of lamenting here in vain, I just posted a motion in the Player Feature Suggestions forum, asking the Devs to bring this back. Please go there, reply, and support me!

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
11 hours ago, Efros said:

Bayard, very nice boat, felt at home in my first game with her. Would I buy her for $45... no.

Yea that would be great to have but to buy I don't know.  I have so many ships that anothee won would not be worth it.  The only one I would pay for is big E if it ever comes back.