Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

12 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,666 battles

I've noticed recently of having to dodge more frenemy torpedos as of late. Some could not be dodged.

Everybody who has played this game has had it to happen to them. Most people when learning the basics have actually done it themselves as well. 

Just a basic rule of playing boats that has fish. Please be aware of your surroundings. It pays to do a double take to make sure your firing lane is clear of all friendlies. Nobody likes getting one in the back. Nobody likes being automatically sentenced to pink for a couple games. Your generally judged as being careless when your sporting that color.

Here is to wishing you smooth sailing 

:cat_cool:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,091 posts
19,199 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I've noticed recently of having to dodge more frenemy torpedos as of late.

Play more Co-op; if you can dodge the friendly bot torps there you'll have no problems dodging the ones from team mates in Randoms.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,666 battles
18 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Play more Co-op; if you can dodge the friendly bot torps there you'll have no problems dodging the ones from team mates in Randoms.

Hi Umikami

I generally don't play co-op as a main. Rather more of getting my aft handed to me in a trend of unfavorable randoms mm, short on time and just want to pew pew pew, shake down cruises of new ships, or short cutting a directive, ribbon spamming NB ect.

No disrespect intended toward co-op. Actually it is generally a much more relaxed match as a whole.

Is the co-op bots getting worse or always been this way? 

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,091 posts
19,199 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Is the co-op bots getting worse or always been this way? 

They didn't start out that way but somewhere along the line they got a programming upgrade that just made them mean. I don't play Co-op often either, but I do for events like this Swedish DD one; some of the goals you have to meet are done easier in Co-op. But as far as the bots go, they've gotten very self centered and careless with their torps. Have fun, and I'm sure I'll see you in a match soon.

• Cool 1

[_BDA_]
Members
301 posts
4,785 battles

I have observed that allied bots seem to have terrible accuracy and that opposing bots never seem to miss.  Add to that the tendency to mindlessly ram things and you have a very chaotic battle.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

i haven't played alot of coop.. but last night i watched 2 cruisers from our team and 2 from the bot team just sail basically from where they spawned directly into each other... and ram headon... these were all bots..

have they always been so bad?

mebbe weegee decided ai programmers suck too much from the bottom line... they have better bots in their other titles..

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
On 4/1/2020 at 11:46 PM, Umikami said:

They didn't start out that way but somewhere along the line they got a programming upgrade that just made them mean. I don't play Co-op often either, but I do for events like this Swedish DD one; some of the goals you have to meet are done easier in Co-op. But as far as the bots go, they've gotten very self centered and careless with their torps. Have fun, and I'm sure I'll see you in a match soon.

I play Coop exclusively, and one thing I can tell you is that the allied bots don't care if you're in the way of their torp target.  They just fire anyway.  Good practice for watching out for potential launchers behind you.

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
38 minutes ago, SKurj said:

i haven't played alot of coop.. but last night i watched 2 cruisers from our team and 2 from the bot team just sail basically from where they spawned directly into each other... and ram headon... these were all bots..

have they always been so bad?

mebbe weegee decided ai programmers suck too much from the bottom line... they have better bots in their other titles..

The bots come in 3 varieties: Dumb, Average, and Killer.  They cheat because they always know where you are (and are usually pointed right at you, even if you're in smoke.  They just don't fire until they can see you though), and torps will be fired into smoke based on your present location, so be prepared to move a lot.  The Dumb ones act a lot like what you described; their tactical options seem limited, and RNG seems to affect them more than the other bot breeds.  Average bots are like average players (except they still know where you are at all times).  The Killer bots are affected least by RNG (i.e. seem to have blasted laser sights on their guns) and seem to manage themselves significantly better in a tactical sense (e.g. they have been known to hide behind islands and ambush people).  The Killer bots would give most upper-echelon players a run for their money.  Since the bot breed you get is RNG, you'll get a mixed bag all the time, but occasionally you'll get a game with all Killer bots, and those can be difficult to win.

One area the bots always fail at is using strategic map skills.  They react to tactical situations on the map, they don't think ahead of time.  The aforementioned ambush will not have been set up ahead of time because the location on the map suggests a good place for one, but because one of their buddies was in engagement range and could actually see you, and the bot reacted to that situation.  (it rolled dice and took an ambush action on its decision matrix)  However, because they react to the nearest threat rather than thinking ahead, human players (at least those who take the bots seriously and don't get cocky) can bait them by engaging their offside with a nearer ship (or one with less health), attack, then run behind an island or smoke before the target's turrets are fully turned.  If an ally is engaging the other side, the bot will attempt to turn its attention back; rinse and repeat.

Always remember, the bots react better and faster than any of us do.  Those of us whose playstyle is reactive might want to reconsider how they play.

• Cool 1

Members
877 posts
6,656 battles
On 4/14/2020 at 7:34 AM, michael_zahnle said:

I have observed that allied bots seem to have terrible accuracy and that opposing bots never seem to miss.  Add to that the tendency to mindlessly ram things and you have a very chaotic battle.

I always remind people that in battles with a significant number of bots to allow the bots to lead and soak up damage.  Then you can mop up.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
1 hour ago, JAKeller said:

I always remind people that in battles with a significant number of bots to allow the bots to lead and soak up damage.  Then you can mop up.

yeah makes sense, and at least being a bb driver, by the time i get there clean up time has begun...

[_BDA_]
Members
301 posts
4,785 battles
5 hours ago, SKurj said:

yeah makes sense, and at least being a bb driver, by the time i get there clean up time has begun...

Recent battle... I chose to bring in Ranger to a Coop battle to earn the 120 odd points I needed for a crate (didn't feel like slugging it out for an extended battle).  Turns out 7 of the 8 allies were bots.  They mindlessly ran around ramming each other until I faced 2 BBs and a CA (all damaged) with nearly 10 minutes remaining.  I fully expected to die swiftly, but I managed to evade calamity until the very end and sank all three of them with a minute left on the clock.   The reward hardly seemed worth the effort, I think it was about 195, maybe a little more.  I wish I'd recorded that battle.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
8 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

Recent battle... I chose to bring in Ranger to a Coop battle to earn the 120 odd points I needed for a crate (didn't feel like slugging it out for an extended battle).  Turns out 7 of the 8 allies were bots.  They mindlessly ran around ramming each other until I faced 2 BBs and a CA (all damaged) with nearly 10 minutes remaining.  I fully expected to die swiftly, but I managed to evade calamity until the very end and sank all three of them with a minute left on the clock.   The reward hardly seemed worth the effort, I think it was about 195, maybe a little more.  I wish I'd recorded that battle.

i have had many cases lately where i end up in my slow bb and the cruiser and dd players clean up before i get to do much damage, but had a few good games lately that went down to the last ships and I was able to do 60k+ and down to the last ships.  the speed rounds are a bore...

Sign in to follow this