Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AnIolairGhorm

Suggestion for future rental premium ship events: tailor offerings based on ships a player doesn't have

16 comments in this topic

[STW-D]
WoWS Community Contributors
185 posts
21,359 battles
Hi World of Warships Team: Thanks for the offer to rent the Prinz Eugen. I love this ship; she's still my favorite premium tier-VIII battleship in the game. However, I've had her since she released in September 2016.

Just a suggestion: the next time you roll out a premium rental event, perhaps you should factor in which premium ships a player already has. I think your motive for the rental event is to entice players to buy additional premiums (with which I have no issue), but I think such an event would be more successful if you offered premiums new to each given player.

Apologies if this point is already being covered elsewhere.  After searching, I didn't see an obvious existing topic to put this comment under.

Prinz Eugen for Rent.png

• Cool 2

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
3 minutes ago, AnIolairGhorm said:
Hi World of Warships Team: Thanks for the offer to rent the Prinz Eugen. I love this ship; she's still my favorite premium tier-VIII battleship in the game. However, I've had her since she released in September 2016.

Just a suggestion: the next time you roll out a premium rental event, perhaps you should factor in which premium ships a player already has. I think your motive for the rental event is to entice players to buy additional premiums (with which I have no issue), but I think such an event would be more successful if you offered premiums new to each given player.

Apologies if this point is already being covered elsewhere.  After searching, I didn't see an obvious existing topic to put this comment under.

Prinz Eugen for Rent.png

Thanks for the feedback, it's very valid and applies to me too. Spend 250 doubloons for a 6 point captain? No thanks.

However, I doubt WG has the technical capability to currently implement what you are proposing. This may change in the future.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,097 posts
4,081 battles
16 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Thanks for the feedback, it's very valid and applies to me too. Spend 250 doubloons for a 6 point captain? No thanks.

However, I doubt WG has the technical capability to currently implement what you are proposing. This may change in the future.

Except they do, they use it for container drops so that you don't receive duplicates. No reason they can't apply it to make personalized offers. I know it would work for me. Several premiums are ones I bought when WG had a good deal on a ship I wanted. But now often it's a ship I already have. But offer me a rental on a ship I don't have, but kind of want? I'll be very inclined to take a look.

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
53 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Except they do, they use it for container drops so that you don't receive duplicates. No reason they can't apply it to make personalized offers. I know it would work for me. Several premiums are ones I bought when WG had a good deal on a ship I wanted. But now often it's a ship I already have. But offer me a rental on a ship I don't have, but kind of want? I'll be very inclined to take a look.

Thanks for your reply here and here. The second reply is exactly what I'm talking about, and I agree with it.

I am guessing that the container system and bundle system are different. You can receive duplicate ships from bundles (as seen with the UK CAs) but cannot receive duplicate ships from SCs (as you've correctly pointed out).

[WTAF]
Members
514 posts
16,652 battles

Rental ships at T8-10 were one of the top 5 worst ideas WoWS ever had. And they've had a LOT.

Edited by War_Maggot
  • Boring 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,505 posts
13,885 battles
1 hour ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

Prinz Eugen for Rent.png

Aloha,

Thanks for your feedback, I'll put it in my next report going up. It does make some sense. That being said, we are trying new things to see what people like and don't. This is IMO a good way for people to be able to try out premium ships before they buy them. Though I am not sure I personally care for having ships you cannot acquire normally in there...

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 1

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
805 posts
7,168 battles

The first ship in line in mine is Atago, which I already have as well.

I would love to have the opportunity to have USS Missouri grace my port, even if only temporarily. To me, I would like to have Missouri, not for the credit earnings, but more so for her historical significance.

[-KAK-]
Members
584 posts
10,884 battles
32 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Thanks for your feedback, I'll put it in my next report going up. It does make some sense. That being said, we are trying new things to see what people like and don't. This is IMO a good way for people to be able to try out premium ships before they buy them. Though I am not sure I personally care for having ships you cannot acquire normally in there...

Mahalo,

-Hapa

+1 to that. My first Dub ship is also Eugen (Which I bought last Christmas). I'd love to try some of the others, but I'm not really keen on spending 250 dubs just to jump it (Especially considering I have Missou & Kron & Mushy, etc - It could be 3-4 packs before I actually get something new)

Also +1 to the idea of removing the removed ships (Could you maybe move them all to their own category? Up the price to 500-1000 dubs or something?) I'm all for letting people try out the retired ships, but it seems like a bit of a cruel joke to have them side-by-side with currently available ships, especially for those players who aren't 100% up to speed on what's available. Might save you guys a bit of headache and whining in the long run.

Edited by TheOmegaDuck

[WOLF9]
Members
648 posts
18,812 battles

The first ship in my line is the Georgia.  I don't have her and thinking I may want to try her out.  I am currently not grinding to any coal so ship, so maybe .....

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
805 posts
7,168 battles
Just now, kyesac said:

The first ship in my line is the Georgia.  I don't have her and thinking I may want to try her out.  I am currently not grinding to any coal so ship, so maybe .....

Georgia is a fun ship, I really enjoy mine. Benefits from a dedicated captain, instead of the typical survival build captain that works well with the US BB line.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,565 posts
11,145 battles
2 hours ago, AnIolairGhorm said:

Prinz Eugen for Rent.png

Yea this is a very good point !!

2 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

Spend 250 doubloons for a 6 point captain? No thanks.

Well you are also in theory paying to play a premium ship you might want to bye plus the captain not just the captain no ? 

Edited by clammboy

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
36 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Well you are also in theory paying to play a premium ship you might want to bye plus the captain not just the captain no ? 

I was referring to when you already have the prem ship you drew.

[STW-D]
185 posts
21,359 battles
3 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

WG absolutely has the technical means to implement this.  They would have the decide on the cost and whether it's worth the investment, but the means exist.

[STW-D]
185 posts
21,359 battles
5 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Hey @Hapa_Fodder

I totally understand that the purpose of the event is to offer ships a player might be interested in buying, but I think we discourage engagement and revenue for WG if the first ship(s) made available to the player is(are) something they already have.  If players are guaranteed offers to rent ships new to them, I expect the revenue potential would likely much better.

For example in my specific case, I won't spend any doubloons on this event because I don't want to burn 250+ doubloons on the chance that the next ship (or ship after that etc.) might be something new to me.

Thanks, as always, for listening to our input!

Edited by AnIolairGhorm
grammar correction
  • Cool 1

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
189 posts
8,826 battles

...Or if the first ship is something they don't want to play.

Allowing rentals is awesome.  The cost is fine.  Throwing a new player into a Tier 9/10 game in a new ship and a 6 pt captain...ehhh,   but regardless this is NOT a good use for random bundles.  Just list the available rental ships in the armory.  Let people rent the ones they are interested in.  I decided not to take part because the first 2 that came up randomly for me did not interest me, and I wasn't going to dump currency just to see what is next.  Great idea. C- execution.  This has been the 1 thing that's bugged me with WG the last few years...great ideas, great opportunities,...but always with a catch.  Just remove the catch.  Add 2 menu items in the armory called Rental Ships For Doubloons and Rental Ships for Credits, and list all the ship available in those categories like you do now for Resources an Doubloons.  Boom, done.  People can test run ships and buy if they like.  Everybody is happy.  Random bundles lost you some potential sales with this particular customer.  

Love the concept though, so please don't abandon it.  Just make it easier.

• Cool 1

[-PVE-]
Members
590 posts

WG: "Captain, you can rent premium ships for 250 doubloons! Here, try Georgia. You can carry your team with this!"

Player: "But I already have Georgia in my port. I want to rent Gascogne!"

WG: "That's not a problem! Just spend 250 doubloons or more, until you get to Gascogne!"

LOL!

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this