You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_Hf93Jbjm9WjT

Closing the gap between pay2win and free2play?

87 comments in this topic

Members
4,302 posts

Rent Premium ships for credits and get a permanent 6 point captain for 250 000 credits, in the Armory

image.thumb.png.c3e00ccad06470c4ce5411a7b36d6077.png

I think this is an excellent initiative.

• It makes mid tier premium ships available to all in competitive setting (Ranked, notably)
  • It also means we can try out premium ships, before committing to a full purchase.
  • less toxicity between whales and freeloaders, a better community.
  • free and permanent 6 point captain
  • this equals free extra content for all those of us stuck at home during our regional lockdowns (week 3 of lockdown in my area)
  • credit rental should be zero cost if played in Random battles, a victory with a t8 premium should net 200k+ after repairs, per battle.

Full list of available ships here : 

image.thumb.png.28e19fba765f17b8286006adc373810a.png

I have often expressed concern in the past, on this forum, that WOWS gives too much advantage to players who can spend real money on the game, whales like myself. This closes the gap between whales and freeloaders, and I hope may also reduce friction among community members.

Best of all, this means that everyone can choose to play premium or tech tree in Ranked and Random battles, making competitive and casual PVP, much fairer.

Caveat, nothing is perfect, that would be too much to hope for : new premium ships are unavailable for Rental. Highly desirable and tier 9 premium ships are only available for rental for 250 doublons (still, VERY affordable!)

image.thumb.png.5c182ee7b2d88124cf82940734e491b4.png

image.thumb.png.31cbad44f5243b13168a7ec9d371f12e.png

all in all a commendable initiative, so I'll gratuitously ping @Hapa_Fodder . 

Spoiler

if only this could be extended to the tier 10 reward and premium ships. Maybe, some day.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 5

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,505 posts
13,885 battles

Aloha,

We're just trying out new things :Smile_izmena:

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 6

[WOLFO]
Members
538 posts
4,171 battles
14 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I have often expresed concern in the past, on this forum, that WOWS gives too much advantage to players who can spend real money on the game, whales like myself.

I see you, and appreciate the sentiment. I'm glad folks can openly admit it. Thank-you.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,152 posts
10,969 battles
17 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I think this is an excellent initiative.

the idea is of providing an opportunity to try before buying ships is interesting to me,. however, locking the available ships to your individual account behind a random box role is a bit of a burn.

In the end. I do not see it as closing the gap between P2W and F2P.. any F2P player would be spending the credits they are using for grinding out lines for these rental trials, which is a nice marketing campaign for selling more ships, where the customer pays for the marketing process.  

• Cool 1

0 posts
28 minutes ago, iamSamoth said:

I see you, and appreciate the sentiment. I'm glad folks can openly admit it. Thank-you.

I have always been a critic of the way Reward and Premium ships have been released, being both/either unique/OP, while being available in competitive PVP to play by a select few. I was one of the very few that defended the original, "underpowered" August 2017 Graf Zeppelin (as a person who bought RTS GZ on the day of her release, before she received her Community "balance" 6 months later), for example. Another case, I have always been critical of Stalingrad's and all steel reward ship exclusivity, (that problem remains to be resolved), playable in Randoms and PVE, but only obtainable via Ranked and Clan battles = gold plated club. The Exclusively Reward/premium status of Supercruisers at tier 9 and 10, is also a problem waiting to be resolved.

• Boring 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

well 250k for a 6pt captain is nice, and sure its good for taking a premium you are considering out on trials.  

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

If they let you pick the ship for the 250 doubloons...can you IMAGINE how many Missouri's would be floating around LOL.

Good premise, but the randomness kills it for the doubloons ones.

0 posts
9 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

If they let you pick the ship for the 250 doubloons...can you IMAGINE how many Missouri's would be floating around LOL.

Good premise, but the randomness kills it for the doubloons ones.

yeh this is the downside for the doublon ones.

But random for the 250 000 credit ships, when many players, free2play included, have upwards of 200 million credits banked, shouldn't be an issue; for newer players, obviously, this is a barrier, presumably intentional.

• Boring 2

[WOLFO]
Members
538 posts
4,171 battles
19 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I have always been a critic of the way Reward and Premium ships have been released, being both/either unique/OP, while being available in competitive PVP to play by a select few. I was one of the very few that defended the original, underpowered August 2017 Graf Zeppelin (as a person who bought RTS GZ on the day of her release, before she recieved her Community "balance" 6 months later), for example. Another case, I have always been critical of Stalingrad's and all steel reward ship exclusivity, (that problem remains to be resolved), playable in Randoms and PVE, but only obtainable via Ranked and Clan battles = gold plated club. The Exclusively Reward/premium status of Supercruisers at tier 9 and 10, is also a problem waiting to be resolved.

just an observation, but it seems their may be some issues with reciprocation, and the need to be correct. But, I'm glad you are advocating for a more even playing field. Good on you.

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles

Closing the gap between free and paying players? How tiny of a needle to thread while still having people actually pay for anything does the community expect or actually believe is viable? It's wishful thinking to believe people are going to shell out premium ship prices for equality. Not every game has the ability to survive off of cosmetics or subscriptions, in part due to community size and in other parts due to genre and game mechanic limitations.

Edited by _Caliph_

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I have  kami R and Kamikaze.  would love to be able to sell one/gift one to someone :D

0 posts
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I wish I could Air BnB my premiums out.

yeh but imagine the deepcleaning required after every client has returned the keys.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts
9 minutes ago, _Caliph_ said:

Closing the gap between free and paying players? How tiny of a needle to thread while still having people actually pay for anything does the community expect or actually believe is viable? It's wishful thinking to believe people are going to shell out premium ship prices for equality. Not every game has the ability to survive off of cosmetics or subscriptions, in part due to community size and in other parts due to genre and game mechanic limitations.

WG isn't desperate for money, nor do you need to be their salesman. Calm down, boy.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1

[WOLF1]
Members
352 posts
1,023 battles

Having about 8 million in my banks.... and hoping to keep it that way, I’m not sure....but sure would want to try out the Alabama/ other USN Iowa class battleships. 

0 posts

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Missouri and Musashi, neither available for coal anymore, can be rented for 250 doublons. At first sight this looks interesting, but it would turn out to be quite expensive for a full Ranked season (for example), as the 250 doublons only cover a 24 hour period.

0 posts
2 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

Having about 8 million in my banks.... and hoping to keep it that way, I’m not sure....but sure would want to try out the Alabama/ other USN Iowa class battleships. 

In a t8 premium ship (which you can rent), one, just one Random battle will net me, on average, 250 000 credits, net/after repairs. The credit rental should pay for itself.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,744 battles

If it was not random and i could select the ship i wanted to try? sure to me that's a better proposition seeing as i have most of the ships on the list.  Only a few i would like to try.. Captains? plenty.. slot's plenty.. So no not spending either silver or dub's on "random" selections .. 

[TARK]
Members
6,519 posts
2,501 battles
54 minutes ago, S16_Hunter said:

If it was not random and i could select the ship i wanted to try? sure to me that's a better proposition seeing as i have most of the ships on the list.  Only a few i would like to try.. Captains? plenty.. slot's plenty.. So no not spending either silver or dub's on "random" selections .. 

Yes, thats the critical failure to get me to buy.

6 point captains? Interesting for some of the lower tier ships.

250k silver rental? Nice price.

But I cant use the rental to test drive the ship?

Sigh.

Maybe if I want to pay 250k for a captain...but I cant choose his nationality. Sigh.

Rentals dont give ship slots...so thats out too.

Its a cool concept. Hopefully they keep experimenting.

• Cool 1

[P237B]
Members
166 posts
1,225 battles
2 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

We're just trying out new things :Smile_izmena:

If it were rent with an option to buy, then I'd be interested... but 250g for a day rental? Nah.

20200401134125_1.jpg

• Cool 1

[P237B]
Members
166 posts
1,225 battles
4 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

6 point captains? Interesting for some of the lower tier ships.

FWIW, a 6 point captain costs like 35,000 Capt/FXP

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

i thought it was too good to be true... if you don't like the ship (or even play the line) you rolled you cannot roll again til tomorrow and only if you pay for the one you don't want, and tomorrow you could get the same ship again

Members
139 posts
8,910 battles
1 hour ago, S16_Hunter said:

It's not quite "random", you see what it is before you rent it, but... essentially. If they let you simply pick it, I guarantee you Missouri rentals will exceed the others added together at least 3-1.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,744 battles
2 minutes ago, Premeditated_Marder said:

If they let you simply pick it, I guarantee you Missouri rentals will exceed the others added together at least 3-1.

Yep.. and i would for sure be one of them.  :)

I mean i'd like to try the Loyang,  Kron, Irain, maybe the vanguard, gascone.. but i will be getting Georgia in the not so distant future i hope so no need to try..  But just not going to spend Dub's on it..