You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

What makes Colorado T7 worthy?

52 comments in this topic

Members
554 posts
2,178 battles

The whole ship is stupid. It can't hit squatt, it lacks maneuverability, it's armor is half-decent, and it gets spotted 3/4 a map away.

Is there anything nice at all about the ship?

Edited by AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[0456]
Members
3,635 posts
9,605 battles

I'm new here- Did New Mexico get moved into tier 7? 

Members
37 posts
10,393 battles

New Mexico is still T6. I think they mean Colorado

Colorado is not a bad ship. She is slow but if you position her right. She can get it done

Edited by How_could_she_do_that

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

It isn't T7 worthy.  That is why it is T6.

[HELLS]
Members
2,666 posts
27,234 battles
12 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

The whole ship is stupid. It can't hit squatt, it lacks maneuverability, it's armor is half-decent, and it gets spotted 3/4 a map away.

Not really, except close in those 16-inch guns hit like a ton of bricks. It is too slow and too situational for T7 and does not uptier well.West Virginia of the same class barely cuts at T6, and it is a premium ship.

• Boring 1

[MHG]
Members
102 posts
21,838 battles

Colorado is slow, but the guns are effective and the armor is fine.  Because it takes so long to get anywhere it is critical that you plan far ahead to make sure you are positioned well.  If you end up out of position you may never get back into the game.  Stay central, not too far forward, and use your accurate guns to your advantage.  Keep a close eye on the team positions on the minimap and set course toward the next battle early so you can arrive in time.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,924 posts
26,934 battles

A long time ago, there were only two nations. At T7 you got the first BB with 405/410mm caliber, while T6 was 356mm. 

Everything that came later is called powercreep.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,190 posts
19,055 battles
26 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

It can't hit squatt

That's on you, not the ship.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[TARK]
Members
6,662 posts
2,535 battles
33 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

I hit things fine with Colorado.

It has better agility that than other battleships at tier 7.

There are captain skills for the concealment range if that is a problem for you.

Basically, everything about this post, like most of your thread starting posts, is wrong.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

The only good thing about Colorado are the guns, they hit hard with decent accuracy. The big problem is the speed, armor and concealment (or the lack of them) really limit when and how you can use those guns. 

Terrible speed, Colorado is always "late" to the party. Poor concealment, enemy is always seeing you slowly trying to do something. And poor armor, 25mm everywhere means HE spammers and other 380+ BBs s**t on you. And you dont have concealment and speed to run or hide.

I always considered Colorado one of the worse ships in the game, and is only getting worse with all the fast BBs that keep coming to t7 and t6. 

Edited by Xlap

[REVY]
Members
2,291 posts
12,318 battles

new week

new complaints

as Lert said, you not hitting anything isn't the ships fault.

[PISD]
Members
1,285 posts
5,290 battles

Is Colorado one of the worst tier 7 bb? Let's look at it.

Guns? Bigger caliber of the tier (16'') with good accuracy. The main issue is the shell speed which is as much an advantage than a disadvantage: slow shell may be harder to land, but they will do less over pen. With her 8x 16'' guns, she fare quite nicely against Nagato and Nelson. The Sinop did power crept her (like any Russian BB). Outside of that? Lyon is strong in term of quantity, but the low caliber make her more dependent of poor play from the red team. KGV use HE. Genisenau have only 6x15'' guns with poor accuracy and Scharnost have smaller caliber than any of those.

Armor? Almost any tier 7 have meh armor outside of the Germans. In that regard, she ain't worst than the rest and is even more tanky than Nagato

AA? She is one of the top dog with Lyon.

Manoeuvrability? Slow as hell for sure, but she turn quickly. All in all, you need to go to the right place from the start and not go to the flank if you want to be useful.

Concealment: she is one of the worst for sure and may need a buff there. But she also have one of the highest long range potential thanks to her good accuracy and high caliber shell.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,359 battles
7 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

new week

new complaints

I could have sworn his battle count hasn't shifted an inch since he made the last round of complaints. Here is what it was when I started making this post, so I can examine that hypothesis.

image.png.ef95774fab50a57326e2db35a58a641e.png

Now it must be admitted that some people are active on multiple servers and prefer to post on this one because English is the primary language here - but it does give one to wonder.

For the record, Colorado is good because she keeps driving home the importance of positioning already taught to you by New York and New Mexico. 

Members
2,986 posts
36,790 battles

It's a good ship. Look up my Colorado stats.

But if you don't believe me. Well, it's up to you to find out for yourself. Every ship in game has an inherent flaw.

A smart captain knows their ship and makes sure she never gets in trouble. She uses her strengths. Even in the last moments of a fight, it's not the, it's the captain that wins the day.

Patience is a virtue. And if you rush to quickly to judge a ship, then you will more than likely rush to judge other ships.

Eventually, you end up playing it safe with the safest ship out there.

And I got news for you. There is no ship that is safe. Sail reckless, get wrecked.

Work hard learning your ships, because that knowledge only makes you a better player.

There are lots of videos on Colorado. Look them up. You will find a lot of tips from very competent players. Some even stream.

I don't.  I am happy just to play the game. So my only advice is to study that armor scheme and if you know your angling, then the answer is there.

21 knots is really not a big deal. Because you can hit anything at max range.

Colorado has faster 16 inch shells. So much so that at mid to close quarters no ship is safe. It used to be CLs would get overpenned, but thanks graciously to WG for adding a wee bit of plating thickness. Now, try to bow angle in a CL and you might as well sail wide.

Despite getting Ohio, Colorado is still my favorite ship. Love it, hate it, have a few laughs about the speed or it's reputation, but in the end, a Colorado does not run. So it's committed once it's behind you and goes in.

So if you see a Colorado push, this is the time to make your defining moment on whether you can sail along as a force of one and sieze the day or sail off and leave. Just remember, there are a lot of Colorados sailing these days. Not an easy ship.

She is an analogy of nearly every challenge you face. It will only make you stronger to be the captain of this ship.

<O

[ARS]
Members
135 posts
2,158 battles

Dem guns tho. Blap machine in the right conditions, epic tank screen the rest of the time.

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

Man, you suckers sure do love piling on to this poor boy. Just because the general consensus on the forums is that this ship is ok, doesn't make it ok.

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,429 posts
15,926 battles

16 Inch Guns

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,900 posts
17,954 battles

Like most ships in WOWS, it has a play style.  Play the style it's designed for, and it does well.  Try to force it into a style it's not designed for, and it tends to do poorly.

When I moved through the tiers many moons ago I did poorly in Colorado.  Didn't really like it.  Going from twelve guns to eight guns just seemed....wrong.  And I looked forward to the NC with nine...but SIX in front.

After I learned the BB ropes, I re-visited my Colorado and discovered a really beautiful ship and a fun play style.  Same for West Virginia.  Two beauties.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

Members
138 posts
11,323 battles

You dare to speak ill of my beautiful and well-loved Colorado? 

Bite your tongue, you heathen! 

Members
235 posts

I have to say when I first started playing the game the USN Battleship line was the first I went up and the Colorado was the first ship I played in the game that I really hated. Looking back on it I think, while I loved the NY and NM it was a little like when you play world of tanks and you go up the British Heavy Tank line and get three Churchill tanks in a row(or you did back when I played the game), in the end the play-style just becomes fatigue you see other lines becoming quicker and you are plodding along at much the same speed and playing the same way since the Wyoming

Edited by Bluemoon51

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I could have sworn his battle count hasn't shifted an inch since he made the last round of complaints. Here is what it was when I started making this post, so I can examine that hypothesis.

image.png.ef95774fab50a57326e2db35a58a641e.png

Now it must be admitted that some people are active on multiple servers and prefer to post on this one because English is the primary language here - but it does give one to wonder.

For the record, Colorado is good because she keeps driving home the importance of positioning already taught to you by New York and New Mexico. 

I think it's gone up 100 battles since his last rounds of complaints. Don't quote me on that, I have no evidence for it.

36 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

Man, you suckers sure do love piling on to this poor boy. Just because the general consensus on the forums is that this ship is ok, doesn't make it ok.

My cousin wishes for you to know: Bite your tongue.

That's all she is willing to tell me.

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts
4 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

I think it's gone up 100 battles since his last rounds of complaints. Don't quote me on that, I have no evidence for it.

My cousin wishes for you to know: Bite your tongue.

That's all she is willing to tell me.

I'd rather bite hers! XD But really, who says 'bite your tongue' lol...did we time travel to the 1930's suddenly? Nonetheless it was amusing so thank you.

I have the same experience as the OP with the Colorado. I can make some BBs work, but not this slow as molasses hunk of cheese that eats all kinds of damage from nearly any angle. Granted, I'm not great in BBs, but I find this one by far the worst, so I sold it. I've been ok with French BBs, German (so far), IJN, British, Russian, and US up until this. Some ships don't work for some people.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,359 battles
53 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

Just because the general consensus on the forums is that this ship is ok, doesn't make it ok.

General consensus in this game counts for a lot.

Believe it or not, Wargaming does NOT owe every person the perfect experience in every tech-tree ship, with every battle bringing you 23 Karma upvotes and the ghosts of long-dead admirals weeping for joy at the technical beauty of what you've just done.

Was I relieved finally to get through all the standards and into something (North Carolina) with a bit more speed and a lot more forward-facing ballistic authority? Hell, yeah! But I kept Colorado and New Mex, and I've even taken New Mex into a random battle or two recently and quite enjoyed her (again).  The only reason I didn't keep the New York is that at the time I needed the credits and the port slot, and the Texas is close enough to the New York in all the essential respects that I never thought to buy her back.