You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

Is it ever possible to cit republique in AMAGI???

13 comments in this topic

[CK5]
Members
1,369 posts
14,288 battles

It isn't just the Amagi.  The Republique is tough to cit with a lot of ships, especially close in. 

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,598 posts
10,459 battles

Amagi is quite powerful with respect to her guns.  distance does matter, and it affects both penetration values and the angle at which the shells hit.  Are you sure you were at a sharp enough angle so it did not cause bounces?  If the shots hit the superstructure, you could easily get overpens for low damage values.  If the shots hit the bow or stern section you should get full penetrations.  If you hit into the waterline or around that area, you should get citadels if you are in the right range for proper shell angle.  

My guess would be that the ship was at an angle that was actually sharper than what you thought, which resulted in a few bounces and a few that went into the superstructure.

Edited by Murcc

Members
1,585 posts
24,995 battles

Open a training room and load up a lot of passive Rep's, jump in an Amagi, and experiment away...

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,598 posts
10,459 battles
1 minute ago, theLaalaa said:

Open a training room and load up a lot of passive Rep's, jump in an Amagi, and experiment away...

^^^^ This is the best way to find out distance, angles, and where to shoot.

Members
48 posts
2,562 battles

I once citadelled Republique with GK at around 9.2 km. 

I think it's possible for Amagi as long as the distance between you and Republique is close enough. 

[SYN]
Members
15,857 posts
12,803 battles

No.

Amagi guns do not have enough penetration at range and Republique has turtleback armor to deflect shells out of the citadel up close.

[HOT]
Members
257 posts
6,931 battles
17 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

No.

Amagi guns do not have enough penetration at range and Republique has turtleback armor to deflect shells out of the citadel up close.

up close?

i though french BBs had an armor that prevented citadels from long range

[UN1]
Members
1,209 posts
3,633 battles
On 4/1/2020 at 10:13 AM, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

I am sick and tired of perfect lead, midship waterline hit but only get 8000 or  so.

You have to be pretty much within 5-7km (or less) to penetrate the Republique armor belt. It's got 406mm belt plus a 70mm turtleback, and finally a 40mm (?) citadel wall to go through to citadel. But, the turtleback is not the heavy angle that German battleships are, so it can be citadel'd at point blank range. 

[HEROS]
Members
1,986 posts
17,594 battles

Yea, it's possible, nope it doesn't happen very often, and everytime I've managed it it's either broadside amidships aiming just below the water line so those lovely IJN AP round do their diving thing and hit under the armor belt.. -OR- It's a nose on shot at long range where the shell hits the turret barbette, and ricochets downward into the citadel.  And frankly it's about half skill, and half luck.. you gotta aim in the right place and then ya gotta get lucky!  [edited] this ain't.. nor is it world of tanks where you can aim for a little itty bitty tiny wienie spot on the target and have a reasonable chance of hitting it...

This is world of warships where if ya throw nuff crap at a ship something is bound to stick!  Eventually!

[SYN]
Members
15,857 posts
12,803 battles
1 hour ago, Skyspartan said:

up close?

i though french BBs had an armor that prevented citadels from long range

No, citadel prevention on Republique from long range is the result of stupidly thick belt armor.

[-TRM-]
Members
601 posts
3,048 battles
On 4/1/2020 at 9:17 AM, PrairiePlayer said:

It isn't just the Amagi.  The Republique is tough to cit with a lot of ships, especially close in. 

I critted it like 80% health with the Pommern. That was motivating. Several crits.

Nornally I'll take my crits, but was playing the Part Two obj series to get 12 crits that took a few hours.