You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

You are AMAGI. Basically at point blank <3KM with Gnesinau. Where should you aim?

19 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
11,852 posts
24,547 battles
2 minutes ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Where? Mid-ship waterline? Front Turret barbelt?

Where?

Aim to land shells amidships just below the deck line (so upper belt).

[ARGSY]
Members
20,178 posts
14,340 battles

Chances are you're about to get sunk or badly damaged by torpedoes. If you're in a position where taking three Gneisenau torps would kill you and you know he has them available, you should have gone for the ram, not the drive-by.

No battleship has any business getting that close to a Gneisenau, with the possible exception of one that has torpedoes of its own. Mutsu, Kii, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, Bismarck. Tirpitz.

ETA: Thanks to @Lert and @chrisope for picking up on my brainfart. Bismarck does, however, have hydro - which may give you the extra few seconds you need to turn eating a salvo into an epic torpedobeat.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,175 posts
19,031 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No battleship has any business getting that close to a Gneisenau, with the possible exception of one that has torpedoes of its own. Mutsu, Kii, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, Bismarck. 

Bismarck doesn't have torpedoes, Tirpitz does.

As for OPs question, that depends entirely on what angle the Gneisenau is at. Broadside or near enough? Center mass, above the waterline. Your shells will do 33% normalpen damage for the most part. Sharply angled? Superstructure, since anywhere on the hull your shells will just bounce off.

• Cool 1

Members
326 posts
13,896 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No battleship has any business getting that close to a Gneisenau, with the possible exception of one that has torpedoes of its own. Mutsu, Kii, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, Bismarck

Just an FYI, Bismark doesn't have torps.

Ninja'd by @Lert :cap_like:

Edited by chrisope
Ninja'd

[HINON]
Members
13,275 posts
1 minute ago, chrisope said:

Bismarck is the torpedo. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,178 posts
14,340 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

Bismarck doesn't have torpedoes, Tirpitz does.

As for OPs question, that depends entirely on what angle the Gneisenau is at. Broadside or near enough? Center mass, above the waterline. Your shells will do 33% normalpen damage for the most part. Sharply angled? Superstructure, since anywhere on the hull your shells will just bounce off.

1 minute ago, chrisope said:

Yeah, oops. Edited.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,035 posts
11,620 battles

Where his torp launchers are, preferably with HE - otherwise you better be trying to ram him because your going to eat 3 torps potentially to the bow which can easily trigger det rolls.

Otherwise, assuming his torp are already disabled - anywhere that won't bounce, or his main battery (to disable it). German BB's are designed SPECIFICALLY for close range combat and to be basically immune to citadel's at point blank range - unlike your Amagi. While the high IFHE spam a curtailed the ability of German BB's to get close at time, when they do - they murder most everything. Especially something like Amagi where not only will those 38 cm guns punch through and possibly citadel but his 12.8's will auto pen pretty much every inch of your ship. 

You want to keep German BB's at range from you - their gunnery is still terrible and they have massive flaws in long range/AP bomb protection. Mutsu supposedly has some of the worst AP in game and at long range citadelled a Bismarck multiple times. Suffice to say he was not happy. 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,460 posts
6,514 battles

If 3 KM from Gneisanau I would suggest ramming.....    No good out for getting yourself in that spot.   

[-K-]
Members
8,359 posts
14,162 battles

Amagi is surprisingly a semi-decent brawler since it has it's own quasi-turtleback, but still shouldn't be anywhere near that close to a Gneisenau, as others have said.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,553 posts
11,747 battles

You better be hugging that boat... if you just ram him.

Banned
627 posts
2 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

Where? Mid-ship waterline? Front Turret barbelt?

Where?

As with all German BBs you aim amidships just above the main armor belt. Due to the turtleback armor of the German BBs they are nearly impossible to citadel at close range, however they can eat monster amounts of pen damage, if you aim above the main belt into amidships.

Members
553 posts
2,178 battles
10 minutes ago, Neko_Ship_Akashi said:

As with all German BBs you aim amidships just above the main armor belt. Due to the turtleback armor of the German BBs they are nearly impossible to citadel at close range, however they can eat monster amounts of pen damage, if you aim above the main belt into amidships.

And where exactly is that? Got a graph?

I'll go with main gun barbelet. Just deleted a Tirpitz taht way. No cithit but I am happy with 3 rounds @ 13K dmg.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,752 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

As for OPs question, that depends entirely on what angle the Gneisenau is at. Broadside or near enough? Center mass, above the waterline. Your shells will do 33% normalpen damage for the most part. Sharply angled? Superstructure, since anywhere on the hull your shells will just bounce off

This.. ^   

One thing i did find with the Amagi at least for me is that i had to Aim a tad bit lower on my target for example if i wanted to hit  at the deck line i'd have to aim even lower,  "actual waterline"  When broadside, i seemed to get more hits..so if you want waterline, aim just short of the waterline..  Again this is just me and may pertain on how i utilize my mouse etc.. jerking the trigger for want of a better analogy.. 

Angles just bring in all kind of other aiming points.

And as everyone else mentioned getting close to a Genny unless she just fired her torps at someone else can be cause for concern :)  

Banned
627 posts
8 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

And where exactly is that? Got a graph?

I'll go with main gun barbelet. Just deleted a Tirpitz taht way. No cithit but I am happy with 3 rounds @ 13K dmg.

Just below the weather deck of the ship and above the waterline is a good base.

[INTEL]
Members
13,072 posts
36,072 battles

You can actually cit the turrets at close range, I have done it even in Lyon. But at that range I'd go for amidships like everyone else.

Members
739 posts
7,780 battles
12 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Easy answer:

At his torpedo launchers, if he hasn’t dumped them on you already.

This...

And also... never get that close to any battleship with torps.

Just to be semi helpful, Turtleback armor is the reason you probably wont have much success aiming for citadels.

Edited by Sethanas