You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Grapefruitcannon

Mainz is out!

86 comments in this topic

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
4 minutes ago, Grapefruitcannon said:

The new hipper baised light cruiser is out..  Gonna get her friday.

April fools

[UNHLY]
Members
3,075 posts
24,636 battles
7 minutes ago, Grapefruitcannon said:

The new hipper baised light cruiser is out..  Gonna get her friday.

Is it even in live testing yet

[BB35]
Members
559 posts
4,698 battles

I will be getting her on Friday to get some weekend play in her.

[KWF]
Members
5,832 posts
7,025 battles

The April fool's part in her release should be her remaining untouched for quite a long time with no tweaks or changes.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

Is it even in live testing yet

Has been for some time.  At least a couple of months.

Haven't seen an official review from @LittleWhiteMouse yet, but after the various changes, is this ship still considered good, and more importantly, fun?

Edited by Ace_04
  • Cool 2

[UNHLY]
Members
3,075 posts
24,636 battles
31 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Haven't seen an official review from @LittleWhiteMouse yet, but after the various changes, is this ship still considered good, and more importantly, fun?

Hang on Comrade we are talking about a German ship right, WG do not make German ships fun and Good :Smile_teethhappy:

On a serious note hope it is

cheers

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,099 posts
7,994 battles
38 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

but after the various changes, is this ship still considered good, and more importantly, fun

Can pump out a good amount of damage with all its weapon systems (HE, AP, torpedoes and to an extend AA), but the armor sucks, the concealment sucks, the maneuverability sucks, so fun is debatable.

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,099 posts
7,994 battles
7 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

She can pen 32mm right? Math says 31.25 with IFHE, rounding up?

She has 1/4 HE pen, so she pens 38mm.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,223 posts
12,137 battles
3 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

She can pen 32mm right? Math says 31.25 with IFHE, rounding up?

German 15 cm - she has 1/4 pen naturally. So by default she penetrates 37 mm of armour, IFHE would push it to 46 mm of pen. There is no more rounding at last check other than down.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Despite everything, this being a German cruiser I'd be very tempted to purchased it. 

But I don't think playing it for ~49 days would be worth the price tag. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,243 posts
22,887 battles

I had to have her so... I bought her. Hope she is more than "meh" but will find out later today...

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,295 posts
8,554 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Oh yes....especially after the IFHE rework.  It's a high DPM light cruiser that doesn't need IFHE..not too much more needs to be said.  

• Cool 1

Members
611 posts
7,641 battles

With the Virus outbreak they should of discounted 50% off but of course greedy pixel bastards, business as usual. All stop for me on any WG purchases for a month or so. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
14 minutes ago, Steeler_Nation_USA said:

With the Virus outbreak they should of discounted 50% off but of course greedy pixel bastards, business as usual. All stop for me on any WG purchases for a month or so. 

Obviously I have no forgiveness when it comes to WG and their ahem "mistakes", and I think most of the ships are just generally overpriced given that they're just pixels and effectively all rentals... but I'm not seeing why WG should gut their pricing specifically for this.  

[BS]
Members
1,995 posts
11,423 battles

Quick firing light cruiser that doesn't need IFHE to pen 32mm, comes out right after IFHE rework...Go figure

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,906 posts
25,782 battles

Coat of arms of Mainz

Fooling around with builds on the thing, it has the German Cruiser HE Pen bonus.

38mm stock HE Pen.

STOCK.

RIP USN BB deck armor.

Fitting tool says that IFHE would take her HE Pen to 47mm.  That sounds nice on the surface, but realistically, there's no critical armor threshold to cross by taking IFHE, so IMO you shouldn't take it with this CL.  Forget IFHE and give her DE instead.

The thing should farm a lot of HE Pens especially on this server with USN ships being so popular, i.e. their Battleships most especially.  NC has 37mm deck armor but every other High Tier USN BB is 38mm.

Of course, sharing the high HE Pen of German Cruisers also means sharing a common characteristic:  Meager HE shell damage and Fire Chances.

Mainz 150mm x12:  1700 HE damage and 8% fire chance

Cleveland 152mm x12:  2200 HE damage and 12% fire chance

Below is the Tier VIII CL gun Artillery Chart, excluding the RU Railgun 152s on Chappy and Kutuzov.

I made the chart because it's been a very long time since I used a German CL, so I made the comparison with ships I have had experience with.  In this selection for Tier VIII, Mainz has the best shell flight characteristics for fighting at range.  This is good and bad.  Good in that she'll ding targets at range more easily than the very floaty USN CL shells.  Bad in that she can't use islands to hide behind and lob shells like the USN CLs can.

HuRCJ5L.jpg

For those curious, here's a link for Main's Premium CA counterpart, Prinz Eugen.  Outside the different CL-CA main battery some quick differences I noticed.

+ Prinz has Repair party.  This alone is a pretty f--king big deal for any Cruiser below Tier IX because for the vast majority of Cruiser Lines, RP access below Tier IX is a rare, exclusive perk.  This helps Prinz when she's fighting High Tier games where even the Tier IX-X Cruisers all have RP access as a standard feature.  Mainz will not have that.

+ Identical torpedoes but Prinz reloads 68 seconds vs 90 on Mainz.

+ Mainz has a lot better AA than Prinz.  Mainz still has mediocre AA range like the Adm.Hipper-class, 5.2km vs 5.8km of Cleveland.  But Mainz has a brutal mid range AA suite (0.1km - 3.5km).  It's good personal defense AA but I'd say Cleveland shouldn't be worried about her AA being eclipsed by Mainz.

+ Same max speed as Prinz but slightly better turning circle radius and rudder shift time.

- 2500 less HP than Prinz Eugen

- German Cruisers are on the very meh side of Crusier concealment, Mainz continues that and more.  She has worse concealment than Prinz Eugen.  Stealth Build detection ranges: 12.02km for Mainz while Prinz Eugen has 11.74km.

Edit:  I don't have the ship, but I'm also assuming that since Mainz is a CL, she will not have the 27mm bow of her German CA cousins in High Tier.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Mainz has a slightly thinner bow (but still has the icebreaker) according to the Wiki.  

Wiki also says that Mainz has Hindenberg's 4x4 torpedo layout, instead of Hipper/PE's 4x3.   

[WOLF8]
Members
7,888 posts
6,651 battles

So Mainz is finally released. Noice. :Smile_great:

Well, I already put funds in my Steam wallet, and since I wanted this ship for a long time... i might as well... lol. :Smile_hiding:

Mainz will be minez... get it? Eh? Eh?? Mainz, mine-z? Because Mainz is pronounced like "mine with z"? LEL. :Smile_teethhappy:

Okay, I'll see myself out. :Smile_hiding:

Anyhow... would she herald a German cruiser line split some day? I mean, just saying. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

0 posts

image.thumb.png.5a7602e72db8e5a5a1ee005264289738.png

image.thumb.png.aeb3b760e1bc144587bd967085d0ac7b.png

2nd battle (1st was a disaster)/ As you can see, I spent much of my time playing as a spammy, but reasonably tanky, bow on firestarter with the excellent HE and very good stock range (17.5km). Mainz has poor concealment for a light cruiser, is slow (32 km) and turns like a brick. This does not encourage close quarters engagements, even with the 4 x 4 torp layout (and reasonable torp angles) and hydro (6 km versus ships). I can see her as being fun, nonetheless, capable of pulling off surprises (aka trolling enemy)

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,906 posts
25,782 battles
7 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Wiki also says that Mainz has Hindenberg's 4x4 torpedo layout, instead of Hipper/PE's 4x3.   

Oops, didn't notice the 4x4 and 4x3 difference in my initial pass!

Main is interesting because of the stupidly high HE Pen of German Cruiser guns.  But she's held back by the low fire chance and HE shell damage.  On paper she will lose badly to Bayard and Cleveland in an HE DPM race.  But that performance can fluctuate depending on the targets.  High Tier USN BBs can cause HE Non-Pens with their 37-38mm deck armor that Bayard and Cleveland will contend with, relying a lot more on Fires.  But if the target is a softer RN / FR BB, then Cleveland and Bayard will run away with the HE DPM race as their shells will reliably Pen with superior damage, and still have better fire chances than Mainz.

5 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

So Mainz is finally released. Noice. :Smile_great:

Well, I already put funds in my Steam wallet, and since I wanted this ship for a long time... i might as well... lol. :Smile_hiding:

Mainz will be minez... get it? Eh? Eh?? Mainz, mine-z? Because Mainz is pronounced like "mine with z"? LEL. :Smile_teethhappy:

Okay, I'll see myself out. :Smile_hiding:

Anyhow... would she herald a German cruiser line split some day? I mean, just saying. :Smile_hiding:

Trying to imagine what a Tier X German CL would be like is hilarious.  Mainz in Tier VIII already has 150mm x12.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Trying to imagine what a Tier X German CL would be like is hilarious.  Mainz in Tier VIII already has 150mm x12.

Hindenmainz.

4x3 150mm long-barrel with 3 second reload, Hindy turret armor, but faster traverse due to lighter guns.  

4x4 torps, but with 8km range.

:Smile_trollface: