Acrux_Draconis

Graphic cards

30 comments in this topic

[S_E_A]
Members
21 posts

Just found out the my old graphic cards no longer meets the minimum requirements for the game. Now they recommended the NVIDIA GeForce GT 440/GT 630 but I believe it is a few years old.  So I am asking for information  on a new cards  that runs around 100 to 150 dollars. Any advice or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advice

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,705 battles

GTX 1050.

Check out Newegg.

Note:

I have an I5 with 16gb ddr4 and a FTX 1060 3 gb ddr4.

I can run on ultra with no problems.

$189.00

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,670 posts
18,558 battles
16 minutes ago, Acrux_Draconis said:

Just found out the my old graphic cards no longer meets the minimum requirements for the game. Now they recommended the NVIDIA GeForce GT 440/GT 630 but I believe it is a few years old.  So I am asking for information  on a new cards  that runs around 100 to 150 dollars. Any advice or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advice

If you're using a mobile device

• GTX 1050Ti is better then the GTX 1050...

If its a regular tower

• Bare minimum GTX 1050Ti IF that is not available to you... Then a GTX 1060 is a good alternative as well.
  • Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,057 battles

The Amd rx 570 and 580 cards are good also. Might want to make sure if  the pc is a tower your power supply will handle your new card and have correct plug ins also bottlenecking could also be a issue.

• Cool 1

[DAS]
Members
971 posts
8,157 battles

I agree with the other guys.

Just remember to think about other games you currently play or are thinking about playing. This game doesn't really need much when it comes to a graphics card, but other games might so don't be too cheap and get something that isn't a little bit future proof.

• Cool 1

[HEG]
Members
4 posts
2,617 battles

I am using an old gtx 770 I got for $40 on craigslist, there are a lot of cards for cheap that can work well for WOWS. Just remember to keep in mind that you'll need enough space in your system for the card, a good enough power supply for the card you're getting, and the right cable(s) from that power supply to power the card. If you're going lower end, that shouldn't be a problem though. Personally, I'd just search for something local and used, check it out online to see if it performs as well as you need and if it is at a reasonable price, then make sure it's not broken. That's just my two cents.

[B-K-N]
[B-K-N]
Members
17 posts
8,226 battles

Lots of options in the range, Nvidia GTX 1060 3gb and AMD RX570 should be less than $100 on ebay, I picked up a 6gb GTX 1060 for $103 on ebay a few months ago.The AMD RX580  which is better than the GTX 1060 in most cases should be available for just over $120.    You can find older cards 7 series, and 9 series for even cheaper. Also look at the RX480 and RX 470 which are basically slightly lower clocked 5 series cards.

Edited by RogueSpear2023

[T-L]
Members
59 posts
2,336 battles

A 2nd handed GTX970 worth only $150 today on eBay. You can use it to run most of the newer games at medium graphic settings.

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
8 hours ago, Acrux_Draconis said:

AMD's RX 570 is in Tom's Hardware's top 10 of graphic cards for 2020. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

Newegg has several versions for $150 or less.

As Tim_2016 said, make sure your power supply has the juice & the connector to handle a new graphic card.

[CLUMP]
Members
834 posts
1,171 battles

Dude this game is not PC intensive unless you are playing in a PC that's from 20 or 15 years ago :Smile_smile: 

Edited by LastRemnant

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,751 battles
2 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Dude this game is not PC intensive unless you are playing in a PC that's from 20 or 15 years ago :Smile_smile:

or runs Vista.. LOL   kinda have to upgrade that one.. come to think about it that is 15 years old.. it's a Dell XPS tower.. 

Actually considering rebuilding it to a AMD setup with some of the newer chips they have out.  Way cheaper then buying pre built but you have to deal with issues etc.. no warranty per say.. etc..

all the years i built PC's i generally looked at Toms Hardware for reviews on components, i always felt they did a good job of covering all the bases.

One additional item, check to see what interface you are using for your current Video card..  New one need to match that.  may have to open the case up to check.

[WORX]
Members
10,670 posts
18,558 battles
Just now, LastRemnant said:

Actually... WOWS will use %50 CPU and %50 GPU on high. If you on max settings It will be %90+ for both GPU/CPU, I would also include RAM usage % will be high as well...

Playing on low settings, risky IMO.... WG is constantly upgrading their capabilities with every patch update... 

I think for low settings you maybe right, it will only use %60 of your resources... Even at %60, its intensive to me for low setting.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles
9 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:
  • Bare minimum GTX 1050Ti IF that is not available to you... Then a GTX 1060 is a good alternative as well.

9 hours ago, Tim__2016 said:

The Amd rx 570 and 580 cards are good also. Might want to make sure if  the pc is a tower your power supply will handle your new card and have correct plug ins also bottlenecking could also be a issue.

All these cards are in the same ball park performance wise.  The AMD RX580 is probably the best bang for the buck.  The prices on all of these cards has dropped significantly recently.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles
13 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

I play on a Ryzen 7 CPU and RX580 GPU on high settings, and this game will cause things to heat up when using the resources.  You can get away with lower settings for reduced load and it will work fine, but the game is surprisingly load intensive on the higher settings.

[CLUMP]
Members
834 posts
1,171 battles
11 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Actually... WOWS will use %50 CPU and %50 GPU on high. If you on max settings It will be %90+ for both GPU/CPU, I would also include RAM usage % will be high as well...

Playing on low settings, risky IMO.... WG is constantly upgrading their capabilities with every patch update... 

I think for low settings you maybe right, it will only use %60 of your resources... Even at %60, its intensive to me for low setting.

4 minutes ago, Murcc said:

I play on a Ryzen 7 CPU and RX580 GPU on high settings, and this game will cause things to heat up when using the resources.  You can get away with lower settings for reduced load and it will work fine, but the game is surprisingly load intensive on the higher settings.

I am playing in high settings on my PC it might as well be a dinosaur it uses i3 processor with GB 2 GPU card and 8GB of ram so yeah I don't know what told tell you 

[WORX]
Members
10,670 posts
18,558 battles
Just now, LastRemnant said:

I am playing in high settings on my PC it might as well be a dinosaur it uses i3 processor with GB 2 GPU card and 8GB of ram so yeah I don't know what told tell you 

It tells us you dont pay attention to your resources...

I would like a print screen of your task manager showing us your resources in WOWS  port and at sea...

[USMC-]
Members
290 posts
8,087 battles

I still run the game just fine with R9 280X. CPU is overclocked AMD 8350.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,918 posts
26,905 battles

You may check your power supply before you upgrade your card. If it's that old, you may miss some plugs for the graphiccard or it may even have not enough power. A GF 1660 need more then double of what your old card needed. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,647 posts
11 hours ago, Acrux_Draconis said:

I just got a GTX 570 because it had the best performance to price ratio of cards in the $150 price range. Even though my old CPU bottlenecks it a bit, it still can run the game on the highst settings. I've run Sapphire's AMD-based cards for several years now and find them to be of excellent quality.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
440 posts
10,760 battles
17 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I just got a GTX 570 because it had the best performance to price ratio of cards in the $150 price range. Even though my old CPU bottlenecks it a bit, it still can run the game on the highst settings. I've run Sapphire's AMD-based cards for several years now and find them to be of excellent quality.

He's right you know^

My vote is 570 or 580 4Gb, or stretch to a 580 8Gb, which is the best performing card below $200.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

I use a GTX 970 in my box, and the 1060 only just beats it, not sure on the current version of the "60"s.

I normally wouldn't touch used cards, but might be something to consider at your price point.  Myself I wouldn't go below a 60...

[CLUMP]
Members
834 posts
1,171 battles
7 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

It tells us you dont pay attention to your resources...

I would like a print screen of your task manager showing us your resources in WOWS  port and at sea...

I am not multi-tasking on my PC as long as the game runs exceptionally well I don't pay attention to such things :Smile_honoring: Next time I play I will check the numbers and put them here :Smile_popcorn:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,647 posts
7 hours ago, SKurj said:

I use a GTX 970 in my box, and the 1060 only just beats it, not sure on the current version of the "60"s.

I normally wouldn't touch used cards, but might be something to consider at your price point.  Myself I wouldn't go below a 60...

Be very wary of used/cheap video cards sold on eBay and other such places. If the cards aren't outright dead or have mechanical problems such as broken fan blades then you still may not be getting what you paid for. Unscrupulous sellers will replace labels and then hack firmware on obsolete video cards to make the computer report false information about them. Of course, comparative benchmarks will reveal the scam but the scammers know that most buyers won't go to this much trouble. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Be very wary of used/cheap video cards sold on eBay and other such places. If the cards aren't outright dead or have mechanical problems such as broken fan blades then you still may not be getting what you paid for. Unscrupulous sellers will replace labels and then hack firmware on obsolete video cards to make the computer report false information about them. Of course, comparative benchmarks will reveal the scam but the scammers know that most buyers won't go to this much trouble. 

Thereis also your locak craigslist and fb marketplace these days, though granted you may not want to go around to someone's house with all that's going on in the world...  I doubt I would buy anything like a used card without seeing it firsthand.  Sure it still isn't 100% guaranteed its not a scam, but if you are careful i would imagine it's highly unlikely the guy living 3 blocks over who just upgraded is looking to sell a fake card...  and maybe you would be able to see it run before taking it.