You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rabbitt81

WG MM patent - Why are we not allowed to discuss it?

21 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
14,401 battles

The patent is easily found by conducting a simple google search for it.

The few times I have brought it up in a thread, my posts are deleted and I receive warnings from moderators.

Why?

If the patent is as the defenders of it say it is, just describing how MM puts together matches, then what's the big deal with discussing it?

Closing threads and deleting comments is like a criminal running when they see a police officer walking their way. In other words, makes one highly suspicious.

Edited by Rabbitt81
  • Cool 10
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 4

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,697 posts

The first rule of matchmaking club is don't talk about matchmaking club.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Members
1,624 posts
50 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

Why?

right why? Anyway this is the first smart post that I red this year, thanks Dude!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,624 posts

actually there is the info that I was looking for a while: 'According to another aspect, the matchmaking server may store a win/loss percentage for each user (or vehicle) at a given battle level'.

ah, there is the confirmation...

I read so much belony about this, the info is accessible to everybody...

[O_O]
Members
6,426 posts
15,262 battles

Uh, yes, WG tracks this.  Recently WG changed the MM algorithm to limit the number of times you are bottom tier.  How do you think they know how many times you are bottom tier?  YEeesss, because they track it!  

However, they used this information to balance certain aspects of the match maker for the better.  If you were bottom tier for the last "x" number of games, you are now certain to NOT be bottom tier to break the streak.  Dunno, but this seems like a good thing? 

Of course, you can still do your own interpretation and percieve it as the Evil Overlord excersizing the Dark Side of the Force for insidious purposes, if you choose to do so.

• Cool 1

Members
1,624 posts
10 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

However, they used this information to balance certain aspects of the match maker for the better. 

not only for that...why you don't read the patent, it's a learning experience...:Smile_hiding:

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
1 hour ago, Rabbitt81 said:

Why?

They told you why... Its comes with the warning by the mods...

This thread will go down as well...

INB4LOCK

grave.gif.a9cc86a13a8209e236beaa23aa486534.gif

• Funny 1

[OBS]
Members
348 posts
1,071 battles

A determined person cant be shut down. Roll. Free account spit out 5 matches and back they come.......

[SALVO]
Members
24,764 posts
25,791 battles
41 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Uh, yes, WG tracks this.  Recently WG changed the MM algorithm to limit the number of times you are bottom tier.  How do you think they know how many times you are bottom tier?  YEeesss, because they track it!  

However, they used this information to balance certain aspects of the match maker for the better.  If you were bottom tier for the last "x" number of games, you are now certain to NOT be bottom tier to break the streak.  Dunno, but this seems like a good thing? 

Of course, you can still do your own interpretation and percieve it as the Evil Overlord excersizing the Dark Side of the Force for insidious purposes, if you choose to do so.

I knew the Dark Side was going to pop up here.  It sounds like the "evil overlord" is none other than Darth Sidious.  :Smile_trollface:

0 posts
1 hour ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

Does this mean the thread will be closed?

probably, it is a troll thread after all.

the patent, not linked, but presumably referred to, is here : https://patents.google.com/patent/US8425330B1/en

extract :

Dynamic battle session matchmaking in a multiplayer game

Abstract
Methods and systems for performing smart matchmaking in a massive multiplayer online game are described herein. A video game such as a vehicle-based combat game may include multiple types of vehicles, where each type of vehicle may progress through increasing tier levels. Different types of vehicles within the same tier may have different capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses. When performing matchmaking for a game session, a matchmaking server may use a battle level table defining permissible tiers of each type of vehicle allowed within a particular battle level, and may also limit the number of a specific type of vehicle allowed in any one game session. The battle table may provide an advantage to premium vehicles by limiting the tiers of other vehicles against which a similarly tiered premium vehicle may compete. Battle level difficulty may be adjusted by adjusting the ranges of permissible vehicles in each battle level."

It has nothing to do with "skill based MM", and everything to do with the everyday MM we have, now, in game (tiers, special battle modes, classtype and so on.) It is no sekret konspiracy.

Members
742 posts

This doesn't sound like a complex algorithm, which is probably why they patented it. This made it public. There's a reason the big software giants don't patent all of their code.

[TARK]
Members
6,486 posts
2,492 battles

It makes no sense to us...

...but its WGs forum.

If you really want to discuss it, do that somewhere else. As you point out...its public info.

For some reason WG is unhappy with discussions about it here. Accept and deal with it.

There are other places for WoWs discussion than here for stuff that offends WG.

[NH]
Members
1,760 posts

basically what we have here is wargaming has a matchmaking policy that constantly makes it difficult for you so that you feel challenged. This keeps the addiction happening. You just keep coming back from work cuz you can just almost beat it but you just can't. It's like that guitar hero episode from South Park when Randy started playing chase the dragon. You keep chasing it but you just never can catch it.

Community Department
3,314 posts
1,300 battles
8 hours ago, Rabbitt81 said:

The patent is easily found by conducting a simple google search for it.

The few times I have brought it up in a thread, my posts are deleted and I receive warnings from moderators.

Why?

If the patent is as the defenders of it say it is, just describing how MM puts together matches, then what's the big deal with discussing it?

Closing threads and deleting comments is like a criminal running when they see a police officer walking their way. In other words, makes one highly suspicious.

Because such discussions will never bring any constructiveness, but reports, warnings and unrest. We already have some rule violations from the beginning. Our Forum Guidelines don't support moderation discussions. 

MM Rules are also open on our Wiki, and there is nothing behind them. If there was something, our players would have easily discovered it already. We are not interested in such situations so we don't use any tricky mechanics.

So, I'm going to lock it just to prevent further steps in moderation. 
Thanks for understanding.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3