You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
murder_0ne

A match with no radar and CVs is like...

28 comments in this topic

[LZ1]
Members
259 posts
5,752 battles

Letting a fox loose in a hen house if you're a DD player. Usually most of my games are like the screenshot below. Five cruisers per team, entire enemy cruiser lineup are radar cruisers and my cruiser lineup is usually junk with much less utility/radar.

That said, when I get a no radar/cv game, it's just so tremendously fun. I can plan ahead, spotting is much more predictable. You still get spotted by pop up fighters/spotting planes so there's still some variety but the constantly being perma-spotted is gone and you're able to plan complex attacks and even plan three or four ship kills ahead. Brilliant.

shot-20.03.31_16.47.40-0344.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[INTEL]
Members
13,067 posts
36,061 battles

Yeah, loaded into a 2v2 CV crapfest today, followed by a crappy collapse with CVs and radar. Both times in DDs, I should know better, but I miss playing DDs sometimes. After that garbage I quit for the day.

Wish I could get more games like the OP's....

• Cool 1

[LZ1]
Members
259 posts
5,752 battles
10 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

No radar and no CVs? What kind of unicorn magic is this?

Miracles do happen.

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
4 hours ago, murder_0ne said:

Letting a fox loose in a hen house if you're a DD player. Usually most of my games are like the screenshot below. Five cruisers per team, entire enemy cruiser lineup are radar cruisers and my cruiser lineup is usually junk with much less utility/radar.

That said, when I get a no radar/cv game, it's just so tremendously fun. I can plan ahead, spotting is much more predictable. You still get spotted by pop up fighters/spotting planes so there's still some variety but the constantly being perma-spotted is gone and you're able to plan complex attacks and even plan three or four ship kills ahead. Brilliant.

shot-20.03.31_16.47.40-0344.jpg

Soooo as long as you can perma spot hide in smoke and stealth torp life is good.

But get mad when a plane spots you hummmmmm.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[--V--]
Members
1,419 posts
13,607 battles

A match with no CVs is like,,,,,, well,,,,, like this game SHOULD BE!!!!

• Cool 2

[CLUMP]
Members
834 posts
1,171 battles
9 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Soooo as long as you can perma spot hide in smoke and stealth torp life is good.

But get mad when a plane spots you hummmmmm.

A lot DDs players are a bunch of hypocrites as long they can ninja torp you and farm damage it's fun :Smile_popcorn:But is some disturbs that fun they go ballistic  :Smile_izmena: So much for high-risk high reward playing where is the high risk in hiding in smoke and staying un spot it while they rekt everyone else with torp spreads :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,698 posts
4 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

A lot DDs players are a bunch of hypocrites as long they can ninja torp you and farm damage it's fun :Smile_popcorn:But is some disturbs that fun they go ballistic  :Smile_izmena: So much for high-risk high reward playing where is the high risk in hiding in smoke and staying un spot it while they rekt everyone else with torp spreads :Smile_teethhappy:

Truth

• Boring 1

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
17 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

1 up!  Well said.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,448 posts
3,825 battles
23 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Bleh, it is designed that way. The moment the DD is spotted, the risk of being sunk is very high. Staying undetected is your defence. Equate it to having a device that strips BBs of all its armor for 2-3 min. 

And being torped by a ship you don't see is any different as being shot by a ship you don't see, outside of your gun range?

Cry more BBaby

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

I used to play DDs as much as any ship in my fleet.  Radar didn't bother me too much.  I observed where it was and adjusted my play accordingly.  CVs just made it unbearable becaue they could track you down anywhere on the map.  It ceased being fun.  I have hardly any DD games in randoms in the past year since the CV update.  It's too bad, because I did enjoy playing them.

[TRU]
Members
606 posts
18,262 battles
2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Bleh, it is designed that way. The moment the DD is spotted, the risk of being sunk is very high. Staying undetected is your defence. Equate it to having a device that strips BBs of all its armor for 2-3 min. 

And being torped by a ship you don't see is any different as being shot by a ship you don't see, outside of your gun range?

Cry more BBaby

Man when both sides (DD vs BB) are riled up something must be right.  

I still think that radar should only be LOS and planes only "map spot" ships.    At high tiers it does get tiring to see cruisers plow into an island and wait to press their radar button, all while tossing HE.  

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,591 posts
19,634 battles
3 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

Man when both sides (DD vs BB) are riled up something must be right. 

So I used to be (when I was younger) a supervisor in a mfg plant, one day a female employee walked up to me and said "you're an A hole!" I said why, what's wrong? she said..."you give all the good tasks to the guys and we get the crap ones!". I walked away thinking about this wondering if indeed I was showing bias. A few hours later this happened.  Male employee walks up to me and says " you're an A-hole!" I said why?, what's wrong? he said... "you give the women all the good tasks and the guys get all the crappy ones!"

I walked away smiling, feeling like I must be doing something right if they all figured I was wrong!

true story though the names have been changed to protect the innocent! :Smile_Default:

• Funny 1

[CLUMP]
Members
834 posts
1,171 battles
7 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Cry more BBaby

Did I hit a nerve DD player  :Smile_popcorn:Why you don't go hide in your smoke that's why you DD players do :Smile_teethhappy:

[SALVO]
Members
4,448 posts
3,825 battles
6 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Did I hit a nerve DD player  :Smile_popcorn:Why you don't go hide in your smoke that's why you DD players do :Smile_teethhappy:

haha sorry, I´m too busy playing cruisers and BBs. I'm not exclusive :cap_like:

• Funny 1

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
8 hours ago, LastRemnant said:

What an ignorant and clearly biased mindset.

1.) Which ship type is the lowest-performing since the game was playable? 

Spoiler

DDs

2.) Which ship types have been overperforming since 2015?

Spoiler

BBs and CVs

3.) Which ship types are Low risk : High reward?

Spoiler

BBs and CVs

4.) Which ship type has the MOST counters to it?

Spoiler

DDs

5.) Radar hard-counters concealment. Which ship type sacrifices EHP for concealment?

Spoiler

DDs

6.) Which weapon and damage type is the lowest-performing, and has been since the game was playable?

Spoiler

Torps and Flooding

7.) Hydro counters which weapon type?

Spoiler

Torps

8.) Is there a weapon or consumable type that hard counters armor?

Spoiler

No

9.) Is there a weapon or consumable type that hard counters CVs and CV planes?

Spoiler

No

Citation: http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/shipstats/index.html
Citation: http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/index.html
Citation: http://gamestudies.org/1101/articles/williams_nesbitt_eidels_elliott
Citation: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/119298/Analysis_McMillen_On_Risk__Reward_In_Video_Games.php

Edited by Varknyn12
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[CLUMP]
Members
834 posts
1,171 battles
4 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

haha sorry, I´m too busy playing cruisers and BBs. I'm not exclusive :cap_like:

DDs are you second most played class according to your file  I don't know if should believe you 

nFnoJQc.gif

[SALVO]
Members
4,448 posts
3,825 battles
14 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

DDs are you second most played class according to your file  I don't know if should believe you 

nFnoJQc.gif

Since you are checking my file, you just could see my % of classes is equivalent to the distribution of lines (updated to 2017, I just came back a month ago). I play every line every ship, I have more matches in cruisers because there were more cruisers in the game, then DDs, last BBs... because there were fewer BBs. By the way you can check my BB stats are best because they are easy mode. 

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Cool 1

[TRU]
Members
606 posts
18,262 battles
11 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Since you are checking my file, you just could see my % of classes is equivalent to the distribution of lines (updated to 2017, I just came back a month ago). I play every line every ship, I have more matches in cruisers because there were more cruisers in the game, then DDs, last BBs... because there were fewer BBs. By the way you can check my BB stats are best because they are easy mode. 

You play DDs AND CVs?  For shame.  

Actually, bravo.  I think it is smart to play all types as it helps you understand the nuances of the variety of ships that may be attacking you.  

[SALVO]
Members
4,448 posts
3,825 battles
1 minute ago, mpwardawg said:

You play DDs AND CVs?  For shame.  

Actually, bravo.  I think it is smart to play all types as it helps you understand the nuances of the variety of ships that may be attacking you.  

I tried CVs back then and didn´t like the RTS thing so I didn't played them. Now I just tried the plane thingy and like it better, still not taking the damn flies to randoms but I've spent some time with them in Training. As you say... "Know your enemy". Actually very helpful to know how the reticules behave. 

[TRU]
Members
606 posts
18,262 battles
4 hours ago, SgtSpud said:

So I used to be (when I was younger) a supervisor in a mfg plant, one day a female employee walked up to me and said "you're an A hole!" I said why, what's wrong? she said..."you give all the good tasks to the guys and we get the crap ones!". I walked away thinking about this wondering if indeed I was showing bias. A few hours later this happened.  Male employee walks up to me and says " you're an A-hole!" I said why?, what's wrong? he said... "you give the women all the good tasks and the guys get all the crappy ones!"

I walked away smiling, feeling like I must be doing something right if they all figured I was wrong!

true story though the names have been changed to protect the innocent! :Smile_Default:

I can totally believe this.  It is in just about all parts of life, to include pew pew boats. 

Overall I think the game is in a decent state.  Could some things change imho?  Sure, but nothing is barring me from playing a particular ship type.  

As a CV I have learned to use the Shokaku or Enterprise to target DDs.  I can immediately tell if I am dealing with a smart player when I move in to attack.  The smart player will have exit strategies, see me coming from a mile away, use smoke, leave their AA off etc.   The DDs that I can kill are the ones that sail off on their own and for whatever reason refuse to use smoke or dodge.  Some will even leave their AA on keeping them spotted while I turn my squadron around.  Had a Kagero do this yesterday.  

The smart ones do the opposite.  I may get a strike off on them if they aren't paying attention, but they regulate their speed and course, smoke up, and usually have a decent AA boat nearby.

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
5 hours ago, SgtSpud said:

I would be careful with this analogy because it is based on the purely subjective opinion which is neither quantifiable nor qualifiable.

An employee complaining about their supervisor being an "a-hole" is purely their opinion, and nothing that can be really weighed nor measured.

Whether or not a ship type is broken, overpowered, or underpowered *is*, on the other hand, both quantifiable and qualifiable. People (on average) just benightedly assume it is based on their opinion or even Wargamings opinion.

So if a DD employee came to me and complained that "CVs are broken, please fix", then a BB employee came to me and complained that "CVs are broken, please fix". What am I going to do next? Well the next logical step would be to compile the necessary data, organize and then properly analyze that data. Then I would compare the observations and the conclusions they substantiate to any and all contextual evidence.

Edited by Varknyn12

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,591 posts
19,634 battles
38 minutes ago, Varknyn12 said:

So if a DD employee came to me and complained that "CVs are broken, please fix", then a BB employee came to me and complained that "CVs are broken, please fix". What am I going to do next? Well the next logical step would be to compile the necessary data, organize and then properly analyze that data. Then I would compare the observations and the conclusions they substantiate to any and all contextual evidence.

I think the point is that it is impossible to make everyone happy. The incident i spoke of happened more than 25 years ago and I was paraphrasing a little...no one actually called me an A-Hole, just unfair.