You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hot_tamale25

Let's talk about possible upcoming lines

64 comments in this topic

Members
230 posts
1,949 battles

With the upcoming introduction of a new nation, I decided to see if I could determine just how many possible lines or line splits could be added to this game. Below is the result of my curiosity, let me know which of these lines most interests you!

Confirmed:

-Pan-EU line (Swedish)

-Russian cruiser split

Possible:

USN: 3 theoretical lines

IJN: 1 theoretical line 

DKM: 4 theoretical lines

RN (Britain): 2 theoretical lines 

VMF: 1 or 2 theoretical lines 

RN (Italy): 3 theoretical lines

MN (France): 1 theoretical line

Pan-EU: 4 theoretical lines

Pan-America: Possibly 1 line....maybe

• This is another interesting one as you could go the Pan-Asian route and have a tree full of copy paste designs from other nations to make a DD tree, but I just don’t know about that given the current status of the Pan-Asian line.
  • My preference would be for WG to add some of the native Pan-American designs as coal or free-XP ships
  • Ex: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/199258-yaadla-ara-vienticinco-de-mayo/

Pan-Asia: Lol

• This tree is pretty much dead, it’s by far the least played nation and frankly I don’t think WG is very happy with how it turned out. I legitimately see no way in which another tree could be added here.

Commonwealth: 

• I really don’t see the need for a commonwealth line as it would just be using Royal Navy ships. Just let the commonwealth ships serve as British captain trainers and let commonwealth captains serve on British ships. I really do not understand why this has not been done yet because it would increase sales of ships like Perth and Haida with little to no effort. I’ve held back on buying Haida for this exact reason.

Notes:

So, I couldn’t find a serious USN DD split proposal so have this instead. Splits after Mahan 

Torp line goes Benson-Fletcher-Gearing

Gun line goes Jouett-Porter-Paper

Jouett is a Somers, but with 3x2 guns and 3x3 torps

Porter has 4x2 guns and 2x4 torps

For the paper design it’s likely be a hypothetical Porter refit with 4x2 Gearing turrets. Some other 4x2 design could work here as well. I’d use a Cushing as the name. I thought about Forrest Sherman as a tier X, i think it works better as a tier IX a la Friesland though 

Members
217 posts
9,728 battles

Speaking of new lines does anyone have a list of the current WIP premium/reward ships and if currency has been mentioned? I know Hayate was suppose to be FXP and Marceau coal I believe but have any others been mentioned like Agir? 

Members
4,352 posts
11,259 battles
16 minutes ago, PowerSurged said:

Speaking of new lines does anyone have a list of the current WIP premium/reward ships and if currency has been mentioned? I know Hayate was suppose to be FXP and Marceau coal I believe but have any others been mentioned like Agir? 

The ones that have been announced so far with a currency (no prices given but the steel/coal prices will probably be similar to current ships, and Hayate will likely be the same price as Smaland):

Moskva (coal, when it leaves the tech tree), Marceau (coal), Flint/Black/Neustrashiny (coal, when they come back to the armory)

Shikishima/Yashima (steel)

Hayate (free xp)

All other t9/10 ships either have not had a currency announced or are sitting on the development hell shelf (like Slava and Siegfried, among others). 

My guesses: anything t8 and down will most likely be premium shop/doubloons only, and Agir could likely be free xp to follow the established large cruiser pattern (t9 as free xp like Alaska/Azuma/Kron, t10 in the armory for steel/coal or dockyard). 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Cool 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,037 posts
12,715 battles

Well, you missed the 2 lines of recycled odd tier CV"s.

Edited by SgtBeltfed
  • Cool 1

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,042 posts
11,191 battles

I would still like to see a USN version of the allen m sumner class

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,042 posts
11,191 battles
17 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Well, you missed the 2 lines of recycled odd tier CV"s.

WG already said at somepoint we will see the old cvs show back up with USN alt getting the Yorktown, I wounder when we will see Shinano added back into the game since she is modeled already and was in game for sometime.

[FURIA]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,961 posts
6,096 battles
43 minutes ago, Hot_tamale25 said:

Pan-America: Possibly 1 line....maybe

• This is another interesting one as you could go the Pan-Asian route and have a tree full of copy paste designs from other nations to make a DD tree, but I just don’t know about that given the current status of the Pan-Asian line.
  • My preference would be for WG to add some of the native Pan-American designs as coal or free-XP ships

As far as Panamerica we can make 2 destroyers lines and one 1 light cruiser line.

Battleship line only goes to tier 8 and so does Carriers (Independencia armed with F4U-5N).

With this lines there still be plenty ships and designs for half a dozen premiums (25 de Mayo, Belgrano, the 2nd Colombian DD)

There is the misconception that Panamerica line will be hand me down ships. Certainly using 9 de Julio didn't help fight this idea. Yet during the first half of the 20 century most designs where foreign but unique. A good example is the destroyer 20dejulio.  Is based in the Halland but with so many changes that ends completely different (6 guns against the 4 of Halland and Smaland). 

If you want I can sketch this lines

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,103 posts
4,084 battles

In terms of biggest gaps, there's the RM, BBs and DDs are probably in the works would be my guess.

It seems likely that we'll see another USN BB line, probably more battlecruiser style. RN may get a dedicated CC line as well. Who knows when though, probably right after the RU BB split:Smile_teethhappy:

We're currently missing half the CVs in the game. Not that I'm complaining, but WG will probably add those back at some point.

Let's not forget that Subs are coming. I suspect when they do (later this year maybe?) that'll cause a shift in focus. DDs and possibly CLs will get big changes for ASW. And while USN and KMS SSs are the only ones in game right now, IJN, RM, and RN subs were big factors. As well as many other small nations that had a couple subs. And of course I'm sure we'll get the glorious Soviet Submarine Fleet at some point. And since the USN and KMS get homing torps, I hate to think what the Russians will get.

I think the short term answer to your question is "Submarines are Coming."  

Members
625 posts
19,884 battles

Pan Am DDs (and cruisers and maaaaaybe BBs) are very easily possible.

[FURIA]
1,961 posts
6,096 battles
3 minutes ago, Kingpin61 said:

The Question is one or 2 Panam destroyer lines?

[AXANR]
Members
3,633 posts
22,433 battles
1 hour ago, Kingpin61 said:

Could easily do a partial BB line using the designs from the south american dread arms race pre-WWI. Could probably manage up to tier 6 with those if they take some liberties with imaginary heavy refits. Anything after that would obviously be purely paper or fictional but after they sold a pan-asian Izumo clone, all doubt is removed that WG would do this, especially as they run out of other lines to introduce. 

[FURIA]
1,961 posts
6,096 battles
11 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

Could easily do a partial BB line using the designs from the south american dread arms race pre-WWI. Could probably manage up to tier 6 with those if they take some liberties with imaginary heavy refits. Anything after that would obviously be purely paper or fictional but after they sold a pan-asian Izumo clone, all doubt is removed that WG would do this, especially as they run out of other lines to introduce. 

Riachuelo is already tier 6 material (Like a Warspite but with more armour).
There are a couple of designs from Armstrogn that could be a tier 7 or 8. Armed with 8 or 10 406mm guns.

So is WG choice to launch a couple fictional designs or to dig what were the Argentine Goverment dreamign for his '39 Battleship.

• Cool 1

Members
596 posts
10,570 battles
2 hours ago, Hot_tamale25 said:

USN: 3 theoretical lines

They ready exist for almost all you stated but on a premium form... They could be tests beds for future likes but more likely than not, the premiums ARE the seconds line

IJN: 1 theoretical line

Seconds battleship line? Second CV line? Hybrid DD line? Plus the cruiser split you mentioned... Definitely a LOT of things could be done for the IJN line

DKM: 4 theoretical lines

All those are right but with a confirmed axis CV line and AP rockets in the making... You can bet German CVs will be next after Russian Cruiser split as the only other option is Italian BBs 

RN (Italy): 3 theoretical lines

Same thoughts, probably going to replicate the Russian DD style with a gunboat line and even more gunboat branch

MN (France): 1 theoretical line

They could also get a light cruiser branch plus the CV line but yes, a torpedoboat or hybrid like would make more sense

Pan-EU: 4 theoretical lines

The Duch deserve a line of their own but as a Spanish person I can assure you that the only relevent vessels on this country are the fishing ones as we are the second country in the world that eats more fish only behind Japan... 

Would be nice to see variety but Spain doesn't deserve a line... Again, talking as a Spanish guy

Pan-Asia: Lol

Pulling out some space magic like they did with Baije, they could get a very interesting torpedo focused CL line. I imagine something mixing Minotaur and Kitakami and with how much imagination WG puts creating stuff for this country, it could happen

[FURIA]
1,961 posts
6,096 battles
Just now, XurMP said:

Pulling out some space magic like they did with Baije, they could get a very interesting torpedo focused CL line. I imagine something mixing Minotaur and Kitakami and with how much imagination WG puts creating stuff for this country, it could happen

:cap_fainting:
You scare me! :Smile_hiding:

Members
596 posts
10,570 battles
1 minute ago, Talleyrand said:

:cap_fainting:
You scare me! :Smile_hiding:

The only unique trait of the nation is deep water torpedos and the game still doesn't have a full torpedo focused CL line, with the closer being Minotaur or Zao... So it's something "new" that could fit with the torpedo focus of the Pan Asian lines.

Maybe something very fragile, low firepower but decent torpedos that reload fast. 

Concept for the tier 10:

35k HP with fragile CL armor (aka Minotaur like) and no superheal, just regular one with 2 charges base

8.5k detection maxed out but not good guns, basically Tier 7 Firepower, something like Helena guns but at Tier 10, not great fire chance not amazing AP

The 13.5km deep water torpedos that Irian and YY get but with either double the launchers or low reload (something around 80s base)

Rather poor AA (basically Zao levels) but a smoke screen and a Smalland like Speed boost

Yes, I'm completely making up stuff without any real ship to base all this on but it's just for the fun of it and not a request or anything so... You think it could work? Super fragile CL with unmatched torpedo power but very limited firepower making the smokes purely defensive. It could be fun, I cannot be the only one playing Minotaur as a large Benham

[SPARO]
[SPARO]
Members
93 posts
8,002 battles

Pan-Asia line could get it's CL's which would be USN RN CL's copy paste's with deepwater torps

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,662 posts
14,743 battles

Ideally new line splits would -

• Generate new, unique content
  • Come with a slightly different but worthwhile flavor

Some proposals are harder than others to get too excited about. A USN battleship split for instance would need to have some fairly compelling changes to be an interesting addition when there's already one line and a host of Standard type Battleship premiums, and two South Dakota's. It would be more interesting to use some never built designs now that we've largely exhausted the well of built ship classes.

That said some stat and consumable choices can make a difference. Gadjah and Jervis are about the same hull but quite different in style, and I think in general destroyers are the easier ships to split up that way as more of their identity is usually tied up in consumables you can change. A US destroyer leader split is a bit tricky in light of Somers and Benham being used, but maybe possible. The supercruiser line for the US is similarly restricted by PR/AK. That said WG has pressed on with releasing Petropavlosk and Riga despite competition with Moskva/Stalingrad, and to be fair they do look like they have their own niches.

• Cool 2

[FURIA]
1,961 posts
6,096 battles
37 minutes ago, XurMP said:

The only unique trait of the nation is deep water torpedos and the game still doesn't have a full torpedo focused CL line, with the closer being Minotaur or Zao... So it's something "new" that could fit with the torpedo focus of the Pan Asian lines.

Maybe something very fragile, low firepower but decent torpedos that reload fast. 

Concept for the tier 10:

35k HP with fragile CL armor (aka Minotaur like) and no superheal, just regular one with 2 charges base

8.5k detection maxed out but not good guns, basically Tier 7 Firepower, something like Helena guns but at Tier 10, not great fire chance not amazing AP

The 13.5km deep water torpedos that Irian and YY get but with either double the launchers or low reload (something around 80s base)

Rather poor AA (basically Zao levels) but a smoke screen and a Smalland like Speed boost

Yes, I'm completely making up stuff without any real ship to base all this on but it's just for the fun of it and not a request or anything so... You think it could work? Super fragile CL with unmatched torpedo power but very limited firepower making the smokes purely defensive. It could be fun, I cannot be the only one playing Minotaur as a large Benham

Is a  very fun concept. But I will prefer to  put that concept in some existing ships

[FURIA]
1,961 posts
6,096 battles
8 minutes ago, mofton said:

Ideally new line splits would -

• Generate new, unique content
  • Come with a slightly different but worthwhile flavor

Some proposals are harder than others to get too excited about. A USN battleship split for instance would need to have some fairly compelling changes to be an interesting addition when there's already one line and a host of Standard type Battleship premiums, and two South Dakota's. It would be more interesting to use some never built designs now that we've largely exhausted the well of built ship classes.

That said some stat and consumable choices can make a difference. Gadjah and Jervis are about the same hull but quite different in style, and I think in general destroyers are the easier ships to split up that way as more of their identity is usually tied up in consumables you can change. A US destroyer leader split is a bit tricky in light of Somers and Benham being used, but maybe possible. The supercruiser line for the US is similarly restricted by PR/AK. That said WG has pressed on with releasing Petropavlosk and Riga despite competition with Moskva/Stalingrad, and to be fair they do look like they have their own niches.

I agree, and we must not forget that there had to been a reserve of appealing high tier premiuns

[UFFA]
Members
2,110 posts
75 battles
1 hour ago, XurMP said:

All those are right but with a confirmed axis CV line and AP rockets in the making... You can bet German CVs will be next after Russian Cruiser split as the only other option is Italian BBs 

There is actually stronger documentation for an Italian cv line. :cap_popcorn:

These are both EoL lines well after Soviet CVs.

[TWE]
Beta Testers
148 posts
1,330 battles
25 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

There is actually stronger documentation for an Italian cv line. :cap_popcorn:

These are both EoL lines well after Soviet CVs.

By extension, wasn't there someone who had tried to come up with a French CV line some time ago? I've been trying to find the thread, but I digress. I would like to see a full Italian CV line, the one either you or @Phoenix_jz (or some other poster, I don't remember who) was really intriguing!

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,773 posts
2,137 battles

I know Deamon93(Demon93IT)'s massive thread will always probably be the definitive RM tech tree thread, and will always be the first place I'd recommend to look for RM speculation, but as far as CV lines go...

To be honest, I'm not entirely sold on the concept of any new nations getting CV lines in the first place, just due to the sheer lack of serving ships. Any new CV nation would have a line dominated by paper ships - though I suppose, in retrospect, that the Russian battleships and the Russian cruiser split have made both those options palatable.

I've not tried my hand at a MN CV line, though, and the main issue comes at higher tiers due to the lack of suitable designs - which is where we get the weird conundrum of the RM, a non-carrier navy until 1985, having a better potential CV line than the MN, which operated carriers from 1927 on. 

Béarn would be a big tier IV, but would be suitable for the tier - she's just not a very capable design, and slow as hell. Joffre could then follow at tier VI, which leaves us with just tier VIII and X.... where we run out of luck. Most French carrier designs of the era are light carrier designs - PA 28 being one of the best examples - too small and not really up to par for tier VIII+. Jean Bart's conversion is the only large design of the era (at least, of those we have information about), and that could work at tier VIII - but that leaves us lacking still at tier X.

The RM has a clearer path thanks to an abundance of pre-war and wartime designs. One could easily go from Sparverio at tier IV (with older aircraft), to the 15,000-ton 1928 carrier design by Bonfiglietti at tier VI, Aquila at tier VIII, and top it off with Impero (battleship conversion) at tier X.

[FURIA]
1,961 posts
6,096 battles
48 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

I've not tried my hand at a MN CV line, though, and the main issue comes at higher tiers due to the lack of suitable designs - which is where we get the weird conundrum of the RM, a non-carrier navy until 1985, having a better potential CV line than the MN, which operated carriers from 1927 on. 

Indeed curious. May be a Saipan approach can help th MN for tier 8. Using his super corsairs. Yet we still lack the tier 10.

I thought that approach to use for the Independencia as premium CV of panam: small, slow cv, a few planes per wing but tier 10 aircraft.

Members
324 posts
4,316 battles
3 hours ago, Phoenix_jz said:

I know Deamon93(Demon93IT)'s massive thread will always probably be the definitive RM tech tree thread, and will always be the first place I'd recommend to look for RM speculation, but as far as CV lines go...

To be honest, I'm not entirely sold on the concept of any new nations getting CV lines in the first place, just due to the sheer lack of serving ships. Any new CV nation would have a line dominated by paper ships - though I suppose, in retrospect, that the Russian battleships and the Russian cruiser split have made both those options palatable.

Béarn would be a big tier IV, but would be suitable for the tier - she's just not a very capable design, and slow as hell. Joffre could then follow at tier VI, which leaves us with just tier VIII and X.... where we run out of luck. Most French carrier designs of the era are light carrier designs - PA 28 being one of the best examples - too small and not really up to par for tier VIII+. Jean Bart's conversion is the only large design of the era (at least, of those we have information about), and that could work at tier VIII - but that leaves us lacking still at tier X.

The RM has a clearer path thanks to an abundance of pre-war and wartime designs. One could easily go from Sparverio at tier IV (with older aircraft), to the 15,000-ton 1928 carrier design by Bonfiglietti at tier VI, Aquila at tier VIII, and top it off with Impero (battleship conversion) at tier X.

Think we'd be forced to grab one of the 50's cancelled projects for the MN Tier X CV. They were for jets, but suppose we can pull a WG and do an intermediate design step...

The RM CV line is just as you mentioned, though I'm not sure if I'd go Sparviero to Bonfiglietti, I'd probably swap them around, but that's a rather small matter. What were the characteristics of both and the Impero conversion? Never found the definitive data for them

[UFFA]
Members
2,110 posts
75 battles

The final plans for Sparviero were apparently a bit more robust than the pre-war design and afaik a larger complement of aircraft. So if a Caracciolo conversion isn’t chosen it seems a solid tier VI option. 

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/the-real-sparviero-aircraft-carrier.32320/

Impero information is available in book form. Just search for Impero axis aircraft carrier on your preferred shop. From Stefsap’s research. 

Edited by Sparviero