Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shadow_Wolf7

German BB secondary build questions

8 comments in this topic

[T3I0F]
Members
49 posts
2,306 battles

Hi, I am currently grinding my way down the German BB line (my first BB line). I chose the German BB line because I liked the idea of close quarter brawling rather than something like the Yamato or Republique that seem to be better suited for long range firepower. For this reason I am developing my captain and ship as secondary builds. Before the IFHE rework build 1 (see below) was recommended for a full secondary build. However as I understand it after the IFHE rework the IFHE skill is not necessary for the German BB secondaries due to their already good penetration? If this is true that frees up 4 points. Where should I put them? Should I get concealment expert? I haven't played through a BB line before but it doesn't seem like CE would be extremely useful in a BB because of it's already poor concealment and especially not good on German BB secondary build where your goal would be to get close enough to open up with your secondary batteries (without being reckless with you positioning). So therefore you are probably too close to your enemies to go undetected even if you had CE. But as I said this is my first BB line so I would welcome any comments about CE in general for battleships and how useful it is and also for this specific BB build. My current idea is to drop IFHE and get superintendent and expert marksman? The extra heal is always useful and expert marksman seems to be a good thing in all BB's but especially if you are in close ranges which you might get into in a German BB. Thanks for the comments and info in advance!

Build 1: https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,9,18,23,26,28,33&ship=Battleship\

Build 2: https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,3,9,17,23,26,28&ship=Battleship

Edited by Shadow_Wolf7

Members
468 posts
4,399 battles
4 minutes ago, Shadow_Wolf7 said:

Hi, I am currently grinding my way down the German BB line (my first BB line). I chose the German BB line because I liked the idea of close quarter brawling rather than something like the Yamato or Republique that seem to be better suited for long range firepower. For this reason I am developing my captain and ship as secondary builds.

just a warning, secondary builds  are for joking around and nothing else, dont expect to do any beter than a survival build, Reason for this is that WG has done the imposible to punish and discourage close range combat..

super intendent or fire prevention are 2 things you realy want in a german battleship, they are basicaly floating cakes and the candles are always on :Smile_hiding:

[WOLFB]
Members
430 posts
7,950 battles

Well, you don't really need IFHE on German BBs anymore, for example, Gneisnaus' 128mm secondaries pen 32mm by default now, so you can pretty much pen everything in your tier spread.

The only secondaries in the German line that benefit from IFHE now are the 105s, and you only really get those in Sharnhorst, Bismarck, Tirpitz and FDG, which all pen 26mm by default and go up to 32mm with IFHE.

That said, if your plan is go to the GK, it doesn't need IFHE at all since it only has 128s and 150s (32 and 38mm pen respectively).

The secondary build i've had quite a bit of success with so far has been: PT, EL, AR, SI, Manual Secondaries, FP and AFT

Having FP and SI for survivability alongside Manual and AFT for your secondaries is pretty mandatory tbh. Since German BBs have good to decent turret traverse i didn't find EM all that necessary, but AR for the extra reload is always good.

FP and SI will let you last longer for once you eventually can get into secondary range and brawl, which is usually mid to late game, since trying to brawl anything besides maybe a lone cruiser or DD in the early game is suicide.

Just my two cents, good luck lad, i love my German BBs but god damn have they been a struggle as of late.

Edited by Saidalphon
  • Cool 2

[GPORT]
Members
182 posts
11,603 battles

I would make the recommendation that you actually have 2 Captains....1 for co-op only , the other for everything else . This way you can have your brawler . Always remember that there IS a difference between HOW you play in random vs. co-op

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,136 posts
5,017 battles

The reason IFHE was useful on GK was to pen BB 32mm plates, which post rework it can now do anyhow. Skip IFHE. 

I would take FP long before concealment. If you are going to run secondaries, you want to be close, which negates any hiding you are trying to do with CE. Put those 4 points into FP. 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,669 posts
9,497 battles

The captain I run on my Bimarck and FdG has the following skills: PT, AR, SI, AFT, MFCSA, FP, and PM. For modules I run Auxilary Armaments, Damage Control, Auxilary Armaments, Damage Control, Concealment, and Main Battery (on the FdG), in that order.

IMO, BFT is not worth 3 points for secondaries, and I didn’t take IFHE on my German battleships even before it was nerfed. You are much better off investing some points in survivability skills to keep those secondaries firing longer. SI gives you an extra heal and hydro, and FP is a must at high tiers with all the HE being flung around. I go with PM as my last 1-pt skill because I do not run the main armaments mod in slot 1. German turrets, particularly the 380mm, tend to get knocked out a lot when brawling.

Secondary builds don’t really become viable until tier 7 (when the manual secondaries skill becomes useful and the 128s of B-hull Gneisenau get 32mm of pen), but you really won’t get the most out of them until tier 8, when you start being able to push the range outside of 11km.

Edited by Nevermore135

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

Survival build might work better for you overall in the current meta, secondaries are so situational.

That said I would consider Fire Prevention and Concealment.

Concealment is valuable even on BBs for overall ease of maneuver because 1)you are not drawing as much early match fire 2)you can often position unseen and surprise/ambush enemies more easily and 3)you can go dark and reposition if your flank collapses or you are getting focus fired.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles
20 hours ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Survival build might work better for you overall in the current meta, secondaries are so situational.

That said I would consider Fire Prevention and Concealment.

Concealment is valuable even on BBs for overall ease of maneuver because 1)you are not drawing as much early match fire 2)you can often position unseen and surprise/ambush enemies more easily and 3)you can go dark and reposition if your flank collapses or you are getting focus fired.

This. I took CE instead of AFT on my KM captain.

You have to get close to brawl. An extra 1.5ish km of concealment is that many more HP and fewer fires you have to deal with on the way in.

Also, I found that the extra 2km of secondary range wasn't that useful, as I wasn't getting many effective hits. At the 9.4km range I have, as soon as they open up, hits are racking up, no tickling that might cause someone to run away.

Sign in to follow this