You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

A call for civility...

48 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,671 posts
6,346 battles

Am I naive?  Maybe...  but let’s go a few weeks being a tad friendlier.  Then we can all go back to being jerks to each other...  

Edited by NoZoupForYou
  • Cool 18
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 5

[DDCO]
[DDCO]
Members
100 posts
14,200 battles

Good luck with that. As peep's are stuck at home and having to deal with all the trial's and tribulation's that go along with it, you are bound to see more, not less peep's blowing a gasket. As much as I wish for peep's to keep perspective during these trying time's, I'm not holding my breath. 

In time's of crisis, a person can be reasonable and kind. But people as a whole are panicky, unreasonable, and prone to lash out at other's as recompence for thier discomfort.

Human nature is a fickle mistress!

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
6,450 posts
15,349 battles

I got intentionally team killed yesterday by some twit.  I was down to 700 health in Kagero, and he was upset I wasn't spotting for him in his Shchors.  He said he was going to kill me himself if I didn't do his bidding...and then he did.  I haven't been intentionally TK'd in a loooong time!

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts

In America, at least, jerks are going to be jerks no matter what. A "call for civility" isn't going to make much difference at all. What is needed is to install civility from an early age. Then, at least on the surface, people will get along. If you want to see what I mean just look to Japan, where the school children clean their own school rooms rather than just throwing trash down because somebody else has been hired to clean up after them.

And how can you expect the kids to have values or shame when their "heroes" even don't? Just look at Major League dugouts and how the players trash them during games or how many of them and other "celebrities"act like whiny little brats because they can yet still get paid hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars a year.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 12
  • Boring 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,016 posts
9,993 battles
13 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I got intentionally team killed yesterday by some twit.  I was down to 700 health in Kagero, and he was upset I wasn't spotting for him in his Shchors.  He said he was going to kill me himself if I didn't do his bidding...and then he did.  I haven't been intentionally TK'd in a loooong time!

Same thing happened to me.  I was in a Mushashi and this "player" in a cruiser kept driving into me and blocking my retreat to the point where I ate 4 random torps.  He then pulled back and unloaded a broadside into me, which killed me, and said "That evens the score".  And this was a Unicum player.

Jerks are among us, always have been... always will be.

[CLUMP]
Members
834 posts
1,171 battles
23 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they implement no team damage they did on wot :Smile_popcorn: 

[GOB]
Members
2,059 posts
19 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Same thing happened to me.  I was in a Mushashi and this "player" in a cruiser kept driving into me and blocking my retreat to the point where I ate 4 random torps.  He then pulled back and unloaded a broadside into me, which killed me, and said "That evens the score".  And this was a Unicum player.

Jerks are among us, always have been... always will be.

@NoZoupForYou

In a perfect world your plea would take hold.  The world of online gaming is NOTHING like a perfect world.

IF and we all know better , but IF when you sent in replays of such things and WG had the stones to actually impose real penalties for them every time they would go away rather quickly.

My Bf servers I ran for many years would have Banned that player(above) for 5 days.  Next time, 30 and next PERMABAN.

THAT is why our servers had people STACKED up waiting to play with us.

We had to compete with thousands of servers for players but WG has a monopoly on this game so QOL issues are not that high up on the list for them.  

Happy players play longer and spend more $$$

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Cool 2

[--O--]
Members
931 posts
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

In America, at least, jerks are going to be jerks no matter what. A "call for civility" isn't going to make much difference at all. What is needed is to install civility from an early age. .   

Man, ive wrote a nice long reply to this but then realized it would probably just get deleted, seems more than a few things have lately. So I will simply say.... History is a great teacher and better harbinger of things to come. People will only put up with so much before they will prove bother statements of history to be true.

[PVE]
Members
4,263 posts
18,643 battles
19 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

In America, at least, jerks are going to be jerks no matter what. A "call for civility" isn't going to make much difference at all. What is needed is to install civility from an early age. Then, at least on the surface, people will get along. If you want to see what I mean just look to Japan, where the school children clean their own school rooms rather than just throwing trash down because somebody else has been hired to clean up after them.

And how can you expect the kids to have values or shame when their "heroes" even don't? Just look at Major League dugouts and how the players trash them during games or how many of them and other "celebrities"act like whiny little brats because they can yet still get paid hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars a year..   

Bingo !  We have a winner !!!! 

And, as me Da once said, "Games are the subconscious of any society speaking.  Watch them and learn about what motivates that culture.....  Movies are what a culture wishes to be or wishes to avoid; the fears and joys a culture yearns for or fears;.......watch them, and you'll see what that culture wishes to become or rapidly wishes never happened...."  

And so, here we are........where SWAT'ing happen every year; where some find the excitement they'll never have in the real world; and others, have fun because they can't or haven't found fun in the real world......  Some of us play games because the weather just won't allow us to get outside to have fun !!!

[TARK]
Members
6,633 posts
2,525 battles

I am looking forward to WG heeding this call and taking action against the toxic class hatred in the game.

Until then...

...player attitude reflects WGs effectiveness at policing their game.

• Boring 1

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,791 posts
7,201 battles

Honor is not about what other people do, as one has no control over them.

Honor is about what we ourselves choose to do, as we are the ones who control our own decisions.

Thus, if you wish to see civility, be that civility regardless of what others do.  That is the only way you will ever see what you hope for.

And if someone is a jerk, then the only fault is if you become one yourself, as you have to live with knowing you've done what you despise in others.

My two cents.

• Cool 2

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
196 posts
6,119 battles

This reminds me of someone I know who wants to join the air force specifically to be a bomber pilot, yet have serious reservations about killing a rabbit.

The irony of objecting to words as deeply unsettling when they are in the process of mimicking the reality of unleashing horrible death at a vast scale is not lost on me. 

If we are still discussing the utility of media as a funnel for restrained savagery then it is doing a fine job of allowing that release.

Perhaps remarking on the double standard of celebrating the countless deaths of men and being shocked at women suffering the same fate is a more valuable discussion than the words we saw for 10 seconds on a screen. 

In the meantime, I am enjoying my much deserved chat ban for insulting myself.

• Cool 1

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,016 posts
12,339 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

And how can you expect the kids to have values or shame when their "heroes" even don't? Just look at Major League dugouts and how the players trash them during games or how many of them and other "celebrities"act like whiny little brats because they can yet still get paid hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars a year.

Seconded to the power of Ten. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,414 posts
15,870 battles

Nice vid Zoup.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,773 posts
21,548 battles

Nice vid but where else are all these people, with nothing to do but play a game, take out their frustration and anger (and boredom) than in said game. No harm, right? It isn't the real world so they play mean...

Members
6,621 posts
20,657 battles

Create a random without trackable stats. Then we can all play crazy games, all go up the middle, all Bonzai forward like Pickett's Charge. Not have flags, ships, time and camo that were purchased wasted by 41% players rushing into a cap, hiding behind a rock and screaming at his team for not getting any support.

I get the point of the video. There are much better ways for this game to provide "fun" and stress free gameplay.

Members
2,947 posts
36,731 battles

After 4 plus years of playing, I have had my moments of pure insanity, frivolity, and disparity. But I have also relaxed a bit. Sure, I can be a tad competitive in Randoms and ranked because a win is required to consider it a success. There is nothing wrong with being competitive and being impatient with players not committing to a fight. The frustrating aspect is watching a team struggle to meet objectives as if they were never ready to compete. It's as if they dived right in Randoms and never bothered to hone their skills.

Some had bad habits over the years. Border hugging, stationary shooting, camping, and an unwillingness to commit.

Of those, only one is not carried over from tanks.

However, I have also accepted that you can't do it all by yourself.

Over the years of playing co-op, there was no pressure to compete against each other, but rather compete as a team to get the win.

In Randoms, it's turned into a buffet of XP.

And players that are competitive are now at odds with players that are just mining, farming, hoarding, and playing to survive the match instead of winning.

The tactics are simple. Maximizing the income by dying last. No wins required as so long as you are not dead, you can drag out the match until points or time runs out.

That irks the general player base that wants to be competitive as income takes a back seat to accomplishing victory.

Now, more than ever, players that are not really committed to win, just farm. They do it for what works for them in PvP.

Or in many cases, server load has finally reached MM equilibrium where the MM pool is saturated with a majority of players not yet ready to play PvP.

This one issue stands out the most. Growing too fast in tiers, but your skills are still tier 5. If you XP your way up without putting in the chair time, division time, and practice, then you have put yourself in a situation where you can get outclassed by very highly intelligent players.

It's no accident that some clans are great, but they all started just like others, but put in either a lot of practice or division time. These are some of the smartest players out there. They don't look at MMM. They don't need it. They just execute.

Skipping the hard work leads to failure. You don't learn.

And only recently, players frustrated with Randoms are now appearing in PVE.

And to my surprise, they are not used to it. It's been years for some of them. But  the reason they are there is simple. To win. That feeling no matter the game mode helps a player's mindset.

The toxicity of PvP has hurt some players and they are very unhappy.

I understand the frustration. I myself lost my self and went ballistic a few times just because of team specific poor execution.l

We may never be completely rid of players that don't care to win, but we may have to take the initiative to set the tone for the future.

And Yes, I agree players that lose their minds do need to take a step back. And be laid back about it.

Like in the sailing days, you prepare for the storm and ride it out.

We need to toughen up folks. I myself am not immune to it. No one is.

The Greatest Generation that my father represented, went through hell, but I am here. So he didn't fail. He rode out that storm called WW2.

Take that as an example of the resiliency of the human spirit.

These times will soon pass.

I am doing my part. I work in manufacturing food in Texas by a very popular company there. We get it out the door day and night. Limit quantities so everyone gets their basic needs.

So keep calm. Even in the darkest days of WW2, nobody lost it, they just went back in there and did their part.

Sure, this is a game. Play it for fun. Escape the crisis, but put things in perspective.

At least you are not taking bomb hits at Pearl Harbor or on Mount Suribachi at Iwo Jima. At least you are not on the shores of France and Italy, the bloodied battles in Russia or other battles at sea. And just think how the British managed to keep going when the Battle of Britain was going on?

Those were the times that tried many a soul. And some never came back.

My Father said there are two kinds of heroes. The ones that made it home and the ones that you lay a wreath on their grave.

This game is fantasy, so keep that in perspective.

Have fun on the high seas.

<O

• Cool 2

[P2W]
[P2W]
Banned
1,334 posts
1 hour ago, mr_angry_eyes said:

This reminds me of someone I know who wants to join the air force specifically to be a bomber pilot, yet have serious reservations about killing a rabbit.

The irony of objecting to words as deeply unsettling when they are in the process of mimicking the reality of unleashing horrible death at a vast scale is not lost on me. 

If we are still discussing the utility of media as a funnel for restrained savagery then it is doing a fine job of allowing that release.

Perhaps remarking on the double standard of celebrating the countless deaths of men and being shocked at women suffering the same fate is a more valuable discussion than the words we saw for 10 seconds on a screen. 

In the meantime, I am enjoying my much deserved chat ban for insulting myself.

I got sick and tired of the endless unwarranted chat bans so after the last one I got and since I was 2 weeks into the ban (yes 2 weeks with no warning or explanantion) anyway I disabled chat and took it out 2 more weeks to see if I missed it that much.

I didn't so have left chat disabled permanently and it leaves one less tool that rogue mods and players in battle have to screw with me and I am much less agitated while playing.

Edited by DESRON10

Members
4,458 posts
19,466 battles

I'm 64, a 14 years retired Fireman. I often miss the job but nowadays I'm glad I'm not on the job anymore. I'm self quarantining even though there haven't been any confirmed cases of the bug in my county yet. However, I'm bummed out, but not stressing, because Spring is here. The snow is melting off. It's the time to go out and about. And I cant logically do so.  :Smile_sad:

So I'm just continuing to do what I did most of the winter; Play online games watch videos and read books.

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
278 posts
6,161 battles
2 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I am looking forward to WG heeding this call and taking action against the toxic class hatred in the game.

Until then...

My issue on this is that you place blame on player actions on WG...….

No matter what game, no matter how hard a developer tries to police it, there are always going to be trolls and jerks.   How in WoWS do we handle that?  We can put a report in or use the in-game system.... which we need to be doing to be a self policing community.  WG handles those reports as it can, with escalating sanctions including bans... but we never see the end result of our reports and in-game system usage as it's policy for WG not to disclose what they do to sanction players.  I don't think, and this is just my opinion, that WG is just ignoring poor in-game behavior.  Also, WG can only act if things are called out.  If you get TK'd in a game but don't report it then how is WG going to do anything besides the TK penalty that's already in place?  Submit the replay with a ticket and let WG do their thing, which will be done on their end and handled by them and we won't see the end result... but at least we did our part.  

But I digress.  

I think @NoZoupForYou is not talking about/to those who are ALWAYS going to be trolls in the game...… I think he's talking to the normal, level headed player that may spout off or rage in chat in a quick fit or anger (knee jerk reaction).  I know I am guilty of that.... I usually am one to use up my compliments in a day and try NOT to be "that guy" of running my mouth in chat.... but that doesn't mean I haven't had those instances where I took something too far and spouted my mouth off from time to time.  I really like where Zoup is going at with his vid...…… it's time to just chill out and be a good community.  The servers are full of things that are going to drive us nuts (higher population means possibly more poor play, more CV's, more DD torp spam... whatever it is that drives you nuts) and instead of feeding a beast by being part of the problem, be part of the solution.  Basically, don't be "that person" that makes the game toxic.  This should be a release from stress and everything we are currently dealing with...………………. not a place where it's just not enjoyable to play the game.  If the game isn't enjoyable to play, it's time to move on to something else... don't take it out on others either.... just move along....

• Cool 2

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts
2 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Until then...

it does push people away.

[WSU]
Members
178 posts
10,117 battles
24 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I'm 64, a 14 years retired Fireman. I often miss the job but nowadays I'm glad I'm not on the job anymore. I'm self quarantining even though there haven't been any confirmed cases of the bug in my county yet. However, I'm bummed out, but not stressing, because Spring is here. The snow is melting off. It's the time to go out and about. And I cant logically do so.  :Smile_sad:

So I'm just continuing to do what I did most of the winter; Play online games watch videos and read books.

Thank you for your long, first responder service. My bro-in-law is newly retired FF.

I was stationed at F.E. Warren '84-'87. Worked in civil engineering when the flood hit Cheyenne. Was crazy. And winters were brutal in WY.....

Edited by permanentnoob
spell check

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,721 battles

Civility?   What will the Trolls and Stat Shamers do for their entertainment?

[XXX]
Members
581 posts
1,532 battles

Always try to be civil. I play cv, and people I match against tend to be nice back when the odd thing happens.  So generally the crappy people who act like jerks towards me are the dd players on this forum, not the ones ingame.

Edited by Formous