You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
PrinceOfTheOcean

Citadeling Higher Tier BBs in the Bayern

9 comments in this topic

Members
92 posts
1,030 battles

I was in a Bayern game today and was charging several t8 BBs and managed to citadel a North Carolina before the battle ended. As I citadeled the N Carolina on accident (I meant to just do some damage), does anyone have any tips for improving citadel rate for medium to long range duels? 

[PEED2]
Members
122 posts
8,878 battles

General rule for getting a citadel: hit broadsides midship near the waterline. Lead accordingly to ensure shells land where desired.

Edited by A_Weeb
Spelling

[-K-]
Members
8,349 posts
14,149 battles
5 hours ago, PrinceOfTheOcean said:

I was in a Bayern game today and was charging several t8 BBs and managed to citadel a North Carolina before the battle ended. As I citadeled the N Carolina on accident (I meant to just do some damage), does anyone have any tips for improving citadel rate for medium to long range duels? 

Consider this moving forward to be the exception more than common. 

Bayern's 380mm guns aren't going to be able to reliably citadel higher tier BBs unless within close to medium range.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles

North Carolina actually has very poor side protection.  The only thing that keeps her from becoming absolute total trash is that her Citadel is waterline level.  Any bit higher and she'd be a "FreeXP past me" kind of ship.

Of the Tier VIII BBs that are prone to getting Citadeled, in no particular order:  North Carolina, Kii, Roma, Vanguard, Monarch, Lenin, Vladivostok.

If you got a clean shot to either of those BBs' sides with your lower tier BB, take it.  I've deleted broadside North Carolinas with Fuso.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
559 posts
3,665 battles

Bayern is too shotgun style to reliably do that. As others have said, absolutely try for a waterline shot if the target is broadside, but don't count on it.

Members
383 posts
4,137 battles

Almost all BBs can be citideled from the side when aiming at the waterline, but how reliably you can depends on range, shot angle, and your ships gun size. Generally the angle is the most important, so waiting for a target to be perfectly perpendicular to you is optimal regardless of other factors.

- USN BBs are the easiest due to lack of side armor, and thus are the easiest to citidel.

- The KM are the hardest, to the point its almost never worth going for citidel hits (aim high to deal raw damage). Even the Yam and Georgia will struggle to citidel in optimal conditions.

- The RU are either very easy or impossible depending on your gun caliber due to their all or nothing armor scheme. 

Mid range, RNG is a big factor, especially for mid tier BBs, just getting consistent damage is better then going for "all or nothing" citidel pens. Long range is more about just hitting the target reliably, or aiming for an easier target. 

You have less then 40 volleys as a BB, don't waste them going for big damage all the time, go for solid damage over time. Let citidel pens situations appear for you, but don't force them. 

• Cool 2

Members
92 posts
1,030 battles
5 hours ago, sargentmki said:

You have less then 40 volleys as a BB, don't waste them going for big damage all the time, go for solid damage over time. Let citidel pens situations appear for you, but don't force them. 

very true, thanks guys!

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
6 hours ago, sargentmki said:

- The KM are the hardest, to the point its almost never worth going for citidel hits (aim high to deal raw damage). Even the Yam and Georgia will struggle to citidel in optimal conditions.

I find that the best way to citadel higher tier German battleships is with long range plunging fire. With a little bit of help from RNGsus even a heavy cruiser can get citadels on them by doing that, but that's also the catch: It is REALLY hard to pull off consistently and reliably. You're better off just going for penetration damage in nearly all cases.

Meanwhile the Russians are almost comically easy at times. A heavy cruiser doing a close-range drive-by is enough to start damaging a Kremlin's machine spaces (Henri excels at this), to say nothing of managing to flank them at close range in another battleship. Unfortunately their armor scheme can be very troll-ish at mid to long range and when angled, to the point where it's sometimes best to just swap for HE and pray you can start stacking fires.

Members
1,057 posts
4,376 battles

image.thumb.png.7e6f8eaa622b6d92e6a10c852181cd6b.png

This is what explains your problems citadeling other BBs. You see, the Bismarck's and Bayern's guns are two different models. The Bayern uses the L/45 Drh LC/1913 model 380mm gun, while Bismarck uses the infamous 380mm L/52 SK C/34 guns, which are 7 calibers longer and use heavier shells that have higher and far better sustained penetration over distance. This is why Gneisenau, Bismarck, and Tirpitz can pull off the stupidest citadels on some battleships at longer ranges, while the Bayern will struggle against most opponents at ranges greater than 15 kilometers. The C/34 guns also have a 20 meter/second greater velocity than the LC/1913 guns ( 820 m/s vs 800 m/s ), which also makes target lead easier at longer ranges for the Bismarck. 

I'm actually planning for advocating giving the Bayern the improved C/34 guns, but with a dialed back reload ( 30 seconds ), slower turret traverse ( 4 deg/sec for 45 seconds for 180), and shorter firing range ( 17.8 km vs 19.5 - 21.2 km ). That's just my fan-fic ideas tho. I'll tag @LittleWhiteMouse on that idea.

:SerB: