You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SKurj

Map tactics...

36 comments in this topic

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

ok (new guy)

I am trying to understand why i see some tactics in game...  related to map positioning etc, i just came out of a domination map which had 3 cap zones... forgive my crude maps...  (the map had islands just left out for these images)  I am going to review replay again after this and maybe collect the actual map screens  maybe that will be abit more accurate.

Replay link is at the bottom, you can see my lousy shooting (lots of excuses i know...) It was a Tier 5-6 battle and I should have done probably twice as much damage, and luck is the only reason i had the most kills on the team.

Forgot the CV's (diamond shapes) in the first map, but here is the starting layout crude and reduced # of ships just for illustration...

STarting pos:

q1uhUXo.png DCw2JIl.png

I swear some people just wanna sail off the map... are these maps too small?  I seem to think so with ships able to shoot 75%  of the way across the map (i was in fuso, and honestly not really pulling my weight in this match, i've only got  i think less than 10 random battles done in it since... ohh mebbe 2017)..  and cap circles...  greens seemed to be allergic to them, but to be fair the reds had them covered because we were running off the map....

Anyways 3/4 of the way through the match the map now looks like this...

lrOtzrP.png LvxsNqZ.png

I guess i am trying to understand what is the draw to this positioning I've seen it a lot, granted I haven't mapped wins vs losses when the team does this, but in this case we lost handily.   I have little experience, i would naturally think that the positioning the red team adopted here would be the preferred with mutual coverage, where greens are now too far apart to help each other let alone themselves riding the edge of the map.

Replay:  Fuso Loss

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,123 posts
4,088 battles

People don't want to be shot at, so they go away from the enemy. Where is the enemy not? On the border. QED. 

I also think people want to try and sneak around behind them. There are several rather obvious issues there, the first being that warships aren't exactly stealthy and WOWS does replicate that pretty well. The other issue is that your ship isn't that fast (relatively) and so while you're sneaking your great big battleship around the edge of the map, you're not scaring the enemy away and so they cap and kill your team. By the time you arrive, they've moved on, having already killed your flank. Assuming their CV didn't discover your solo mission and proceed to make your life extremely interesting.

Also, people probably figure their BB has 20km range for a reason. The fact that they can't hit anything at that range is of course irrelevant. Range mod GK always makes me cry.

But mostly it's not wanting to get shot.

Also not being able to logic out the fact that WOWS is a strategy game. Positioning matters, and you need to be able to read the map and look ahead to make predictions on what the enemy will. Then position your guns to stop him from doing that. That logic is pretty obviously lost on the vast majority of players. WG of course thinks the solution is to make the game simpler, rather than making it more rewarding to actually play the objective. I think most players realize they're going to die if they don't run away, but can't read the minimap well enough to figure out that running to the border is just losing map control and so the game.

TL;DR, people don't want to get shot and aren't smart enough figure out how to not get shot while still be useful.

There are several other theories, most of them involving the locations of glue pots...

• Cool 7

[SALVO]
Members
24,817 posts
25,888 battles

People usually don't like being in the middle because it often means that you can be shot from both sides of the map.  But when you're on the flank, enemies on the other side of the map are just too far away to hit you.  Of course, this doesn't factor in terrain, which can also block long lines of fire.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,050 posts
8,304 battles
13 hours ago, SKurj said:

I guess i am trying to understand what is the draw to this positioning I've seen it a lot, granted I haven't mapped wins vs losses when the team does this, but in this case we lost handily.   I have little experience, i would naturally think that the positioning the red team adopted here would be the preferred with mutual coverage, where greens are now too far apart to help each other let alone themselves riding the edge of the map.

Your line of thinking is off.

You're not seeing the intentional positioning of the red team vs. that of the green team, but how the flow of the northern and southern skirmishes happened to coincidentally synergise.

There's almost zero point to analysing team tactics in Randoms, because you typically have at best, two separate elements (usually 3 or more) doing their own thing. Whenever you say, "the team did this, and were successful/unsuccessful", it's almost always purely coincidental.

[SALVO]
Members
4,437 posts
3,825 battles
14 hours ago, SKurj said:

Main reason you want to avoid center in a big ship is not to get cross fired, also it is very easy to get ambushed and torped there if you are sailing a big fat ship.

Personally I find this map very difficult to assess, I've not yet found a reliable strategy to win this map and is always very chaotic with randoms, though it is a very interesting one from a theoretic pov.

In theory, a strong coordinated push on your side should be the best approach. Obliterating the enemy on your side ASAP and then helping the other wing with a flanking/pincer attack looks like the best course of action, but is easier said than done. In randoms usually it boils down to individual quality of players and initial deployment, if 1-2 deserts your flank to  go center, your offensive chance is handicapped seriously (unless enemy did the exact same). I´m inclined to think going center is a bad plan in almost every situation, even bleeding one DD to cap center could be determinant on the outcome, but I'm really not sure myself. Having control of center can be also a strong asset for the team.

I would like to know other's assessment on how to play this map.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles

Players will often go to the map borders so that they ensure they only have to guard against an attack from one direction.  The problem with playing the borders, is that it limits what you can do to escape an attack if you get into trouble.  Even if you are successful at the border and kill off the enemy in your area, you are so far from the other side of the map, that you effectively take your ships out of the game for quite a while.  Meanwhile, any advantage you might have gained doesn't matter because the enemy on the other flank only has to fight equivalent forces there.  By the time the victorious flank gets back to the battle, the odds might have evened up or even gone the other way.

Good players usually play somewhere in the middle, where they can adjust to the changing battle field and respond to where they are needed most.  They use islands for cover to protect themselves from getting shot from more than one direction at a time.

Map awareness is a big part of playing WOWS.  Know where you want to go, but more importantly, have a plan of escape for any worst case scenario.  

• Cool 2

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
9 minutes ago, Murcc said:

Players will often go to the map borders so that they ensure they only have to guard against an attack from one direction.  The problem with playing the borders, is that it limits what you can do to escape an attack if you get into trouble.  Even if you are successful at the border and kill off the enemy in your area, you are so far from the other side of the map, that you effectively take your ships out of the game for quite a while.  Meanwhile, any advantage you might have gained doesn't matter because the enemy on the other flank only has to fight equivalent forces there.  By the time the victorious flank gets back to the battle, the odds might have evened up or even gone the other way.

Good players usually play somewhere in the middle, where they can adjust to the changing battle field and respond to where they are needed most.  They use islands for cover to protect themselves from getting shot from more than one direction at a time.

Map awareness is a big part of playing WOWS.  Know where you want to go, but more importantly, have a plan of escape for any worst case scenario.  

Yes that is the sort of thing I have seen repeatedly.  The game is lost because the enemy has capped an objective or 2, and because the edge huggers are so far out there we lose because they cannot get back to cap or even help...

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

That map is a bit unusual because of the spawn locations at A/C only and the positioning of the islands.  The most common winning strategy on this map is to stick together with your spawn partners(there should be 6 of you total, and win the cap directly in front of you(A or C) first before considering B. If you do this successfully you have 2 caps and have established crossfire on any enemy ships at B, mopup should be easy.

Look at the angle you have to sail at to reach B from spawn. If you attempt to sail directly to B in a BB or cruiser when the match begins 1)you put yourself fully broadside to enemy ships at A or C. I can't tell you how many AP dev strikes I have landed on ships exposing broadsides for long periods attempting to go to B.....and 2)you weaken your team's ability to win A or C and a 6 v. 6 battle for A and C has now become a 5 v. 6/ 4 v. 6 or worse.

DDs can get to B a little more easily, but again you are greatly decreasing your team's odds of fighting the enemy successfully at A and C.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

Looks like I should stay with Coop for BB's at least...

Latest match...  not sure what the map is called again 3 cap points diagonally with the mid cap sort of surrounded my little islands in a circle.

My first match of the day, again in my Fuso (hope to grind the line)

I spawn in the middle group:

ZzlyXKz.png

I immediately head SSW ...    the rest of the team with a couple of exceptions immediately heads for the center cap, and only one BB heads for the C cap (he turns around when he realizes no one else is following).

We cap B...  mean while 3 enemy cruisers are stalling the 2-3 of us trying to make the push for A.  The rest of the team at B... now starts moving towards A with B  and C completely forgotten... enemy Fuso, Atago, NC and DD push through C sink our CV and well you know the rest...

I would be kicking my dog if I had one in short order...

off to coop..

Again... my theories... are not based on much experience...  in this battle I would have thought if the team  group of individuals is going to abandon C, they should have capped B and then  held it and tried to lock them down at C while those of us in the south pushed through A and that would have allowed us to come around on the reds...  

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

In general in most map, you want to hit the 2 flank and   weaker flank usually defend/kite while strong flank will push and turn toward middle to create a cross fire.        CV  need to have good enough awareness to move with the team.  worst CV is one that sit at back center .  

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

The CV's were ineffective overall in this match, I don't think either one got a kill.  It was a T8 matchup and the CV's were T6's  

Our CV did stay stationary for too long and didn't move until it was too late, also our Gneis was afk for the first 5 mins of the match as well which didn't help.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

good cv will still spot and make life miserable to DD in early part,  which help team win while waiting for AA to be reduced as time goes on.    i dislike CV, but   Iwould still rather have good one vs bad one in my team  LOL

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

i wandered over here as I was getting frustrated with WoT, and thought this would be a change of pace, but random teams groups of individuals here are frustrating me immensely when i only may have 100 battles since I came over.. 

Between T4 cv's, covidiot teams, mostly high tier events and the like, i already lack the desire to even log in...   hopefully coop can distract me til back to work...

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
47 minutes ago, SKurj said:

i wandered over here as I was getting frustrated with WoT, and thought this would be a change of pace, but random teams groups of individuals here are frustrating me immensely when i only may have 100 battles since I came over.. 

Between T4 cv's, covidiot teams, mostly high tier events and the like, i already lack the desire to even log in...   hopefully coop can distract me til back to work...

Hi, welcome to WoWS.

Look, you’re doing the right thing insofar as you are critically assessing each battle in order to learn how to get better. This is good. And don’t get discouraged in this endeavour. 

But, simply put, you have no control over your teams. You need to accept that. A tiny number of the very best players have 70% Win rates, which means even with their skill, experience, tricked out ships and often one or two other super unicum players with voice coms in a division, they still lose 30% of the time they hit that battle button. Us mere mortals lose more. You also have to accept that. 

One thing I have found helpful is the realisation that the only thing in my control is me. As such, I change how I am playing based on what the enemy team is doing and what my own team is doing. Similarly, the advice @Murcc and @centarina have provided above is good. 

I have copied some resources below that should be of assistance to you. Littlewhitemouse’s Guide in particular I think will help you move to the next level. 

Good luck!

Edited by UltimateNewbie
  • Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
55 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Hi, welcome to WoWS.

Look, you’re doing the right thing insofar as you are critically assessing each battle in order to learn how to get better. This is good. And don’t get discouraged in this endeavour. 

But, simply put, you have no control over your teams. You need to accept that. A tiny number of the very best players have 70% Win rates, which means even with their skill, experience, tricked out ships and often one or two other super unicum players with voice coms in a division, they still lose 30% of the time they hit that battle button. Us mere mortals lose more. You also have to accept that. 

One thing I have found helpful is the realisation that the only thing in my control is me. As such, I change how I am playing based on what the enemy team is doing and what my own team is doing. Similarly, the advice @Murcc and @centarina have provided above is good. 

I have copied some resources below that should be of assistance to you. Littlewhitemouse’s Guide in particular I think will help you move to the next level. 

Good luck!

Thanks, i have gone through a few items on your list, my client i think and my settings are good and I follow ichase's latest how to get good series, the cruiser one I watched today was particularly interesting, i learned a lot from that one.  I've gone through as many reviews as I could find for my current ships, and lwm's prem reviews as well.  I will have to look at her WR guide, and that role reference guide.

For the moment I am trying to keep it simple and focusing on BB's i don't think I am ready to get into the smaller classes as yet.  Its really been years since I have run a DD.  I have a few premiums and usually run those when I want to no GAF.. so that helps too.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

ahh 2 good games, followed by one where i was told to not play bb's if i can't handle it, criticized for somethings i did not do..  "hanging in the back the whole game", "sniping at max range"  etc...

WoT has 3 things that are missing here that might come in handy...  

- no all chat

- The ability to turn off chat with allies  - YAY just found this one, i can already tell this evening is gonna get brighter.. if that is what "Battle Chat" is (assuming its all chat not just teammates) in the controls settings page

- Anonymizer

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
2 hours ago, SKurj said:

Thanks, i have gone through a few items on your list, my client i think and my settings are good and I follow ichase's latest how to get good series, the cruiser one I watched today was particularly interesting, i learned a lot from that one.  I've gone through as many reviews as I could find for my current ships, and lwm's prem reviews as well.  I will have to look at her WR guide, and that role reference guide.

For the moment I am trying to keep it simple and focusing on BB's i don't think I am ready to get into the smaller classes as yet.  Its really been years since I have run a DD.  I have a few premiums and usually run those when I want to no GAF.. so that helps too.

Fair enough :)

Just one quick observation - playing the other classes strengthens your BB play.  For instance, remembering how hard it is to snipe a BB with torps from a stealthy destroyer when the BBs is turning and changing speed all the time suggests that, when you're playing a BB, you should be turning and changing speed all the time!

Feel free to ask if you have any questions (or suggestions to improve the guide I wrote!). 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

Yeah i do ok dodging dd's and torps at least until its late game and the damn things are always stealthed...  my aim is i think the biggest thing atm, which is one reason i am trying to focus on one ship, though i should make it to the next step in the line the next day or so.  Trying to stick with randoms for now..

Members
383 posts
4,137 battles
23 hours ago, SKurj said:

I am trying to understand why i see some tactics in game...  related to map positioning

You are trying to apply map level tactics to try to justify player level choices. As said above players don't want to get shot, and will move accordingly to not get shot. Even if that means giving up critical map position. The best players usually go to the best positions, and assume the risk. This doesn't mean it will always work, not does it mean is it a good idea, but if you can handle the risk, the reward is an isolated firing position which can impact the game better then if you just went with the team.

5 hours ago, SKurj said:

Looks like I should stay with Coop for BB's at least

COOP is fine when learning how to shoot and drive a given ship, but it isn't very good for learning how to play most maps as the AI always does the same thing... drive straight at you. Almost no human player will ever drive/attack/play like an AI, which means learning how most maps play out, wont be learned in COOP.

4 hours ago, SKurj said:

As a WOT veteran I'll point out that that this game is easier to do consistently better, regardless of team composition. The reasons behind this is because of the following:

1. The game is much slower, giving you more time to analyse a given situation.

2. The game has less "hard counters". There are no ships that are 100% immune to other ships. No tiers that are totally overwhelming vs other tiers, and no class that is significantly overwhelming against any other class. There are still situations where you can be at a massive disadvantage, but its not like WOT where you screw up once, walk into the wrong tank and your dead in 15 seconds without any chance to have played things differently. This doesn't mean you can't get nuked in this game, but usually such situations are preventable and are long in the making, IE torps have been heading twoard you for the last 30 seconds and your still driving straight haha.

3. There are less players, making significant contributions more impactful, along with "division leverage" being a large portion of the team.

4. Reaction time, and skill are less of a factor then planning and strategy. Putting yourself in a good/bad spot is usually more important then being able to react super fast, or get good RNG. (being lucky always helps tho hehe)

30 minutes ago, SKurj said:

Yeah i do ok dodging dd's and torps at least until its late game and the damn things are always stealthed...  my aim is i think the biggest thing atm, which is one reason i am trying to focus on one ship, though i should make it to the next step in the line the next day or so.  Trying to stick with randoms for now..

DDs are generally pretty powerful at lower tiers, due to the power of torps, and inability to counter and invisible DD most of the time. At higher tiers DDs become harder and harder to play due to the addition of Radar, (a cruiser consumable) better secondaries, more dangerous DPM cruisers, the hydro ability, and better CV capabilities. 

At lower tiers there isn't much you can as a BB besides dodge and shoot DDs when they are spotted. A good goal is trying to focus their DDs down faster then your DDs get killed. This isn't always possible, nor is it easy, but it is a core part of the game across tiers. At the same time, if you can take a huge chunk, if not outright kill a cruiser, youd help your DDs by taking out the ship type that most easily kills them.

Unlike WOT where all the tank types more or less perform the same job, just with different strengths and weaknesses, BBs are somewhat a combination of an SPG (artillery) and "roadblock" heavy (IE the Maus). So the armor/health will allow you to get into a position where your firepower can be the most useful, but your speed wont help you when things break down, nor will it allow you to escape if you do the wrong thing. Your ROF also wont allow you to easily adapt to changing situations, so choosing targets and making the most use of your limited number of shots (you can fire less then 40 times in a match) is important, and a big part of that is your own position relative to the enemy. 

48 minutes ago, SKurj said:

followed by one where i was told to not play bb's if i can't handle it, criticized for somethings i did not do..  "hanging in the back the whole game", "sniping at max range"  etc...

My guess is someone died and wanted to blame someone besides themselves. This will happen all the time, and almost everyone does it. Heck, your bound to do this sometimes as well hehe.

• Cool 2

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

This was a good one...  had to deal with 2 cv's constantly hassling me from the start, but I got a couple shots off within the first couple of mins on one of them.  In the end I sunk em both :)

RSIIr6p.jpg

kJolB8c.jpg

My reasons for going to coop are not so much skill related, more like "managing extreme emotion"  :) 

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
9 minutes ago, sargentmki said:

You are trying to apply map level tactics to try to justify player level choices. As said above players don't want to get shot, and will move accordingly to not get shot. Even if that means giving up critical map position. The best players usually go to the best positions, and assume the risk. This doesn't mean it will always work, not does it mean is it a good idea, but if you can handle the risk, the reward is an isolated firing position which can impact the game better then if you just went with the team.

COOP is fine when learning how to shoot and drive a given ship, but it isn't very good for learning how to play most maps as the AI always does the same thing... drive straight at you. Almost no human player will ever drive/attack/play like an AI, which means learning how most maps play out, wont be learned in COOP.

As a WOT veteran I'll point out that that this game is easier to do consistently better, regardless of team composition. The reasons behind this is because of the following:

1. The game is much slower, giving you more time to analyse a given situation.

2. The game has less "hard counters". There are no ships that are 100% immune to other ships. No tiers that are totally overwhelming vs other tiers, and no class that is significantly overwhelming against any other class. There are still situations where you can be at a massive disadvantage, but its not like WOT where you screw up once, walk into the wrong tank and your dead in 15 seconds without any chance to have played things differently. This doesn't mean you can't get nuked in this game, but usually such situations are preventable and are long in the making, IE torps have been heading twoard you for the last 30 seconds and your still driving straight haha.

3. There are less players, making significant contributions more impactful, along with "division leverage" being a large portion of the team.

4. Reaction time, and skill are less of a factor then planning and strategy. Putting yourself in a good/bad spot is usually more important then being able to react super fast, or get good RNG. (being lucky always helps tho hehe)

DDs are generally pretty powerful at lower tiers, due to the power of torps, and inability to counter and invisible DD most of the time. At higher tiers DDs become harder and harder to play due to the addition of Radar, (a cruiser consumable) better secondaries, more dangerous DPM cruisers, the hydro ability, and better CV capabilities. 

At lower tiers there isn't much you can as a BB besides dodge and shoot DDs when they are spotted. A good goal is trying to focus their DDs down faster then your DDs get killed. This isn't always possible, nor is it easy, but it is a core part of the game across tiers. At the same time, if you can take a huge chunk, if not outright kill a cruiser, youd help your DDs by taking out the ship type that most easily kills them.

Unlike WOT where all the tank types more or less perform the same job, just with different strengths and weaknesses, BBs are somewhat a combination of an SPG (artillery) and "roadblock" heavy (IE the Maus). So the armor/health will allow you to get into a position where your firepower can be the most useful, but your speed wont help you when things break down, nor will it allow you to escape if you do the wrong thing. Your ROF also wont allow you to easily adapt to changing situations, so choosing targets and making the most use of your limited number of shots (you can fire less then 40 times in a match) is important, and a big part of that is your own position relative to the enemy. 

My guess is someone died and wanted to blame someone besides themselves. This will happen all the time, and almost everyone does it. Heck, your bound to do this sometimes as well hehe.

Thanks, all good info, i need to learn the maps, while they often look similar i am sure there are a lot of differences in regards to decent positions, hopefully those are many and varied and not set in stone, and of course I am sure they change depending on the characteristics of the particular ship/guns combo (staying with BB's). Another reason why I am trying to stick to at least one line for the moment, though i understand the guns on the Nagato will be different to what i am getting used to now in the fuso, though only 1500xp from moving up to it.

Now to decide if i spend fxp to upgrade Nagato or grind it out for 'practice'.  Looks like I can only upgrade powerplant and hull, so I may just grind it out, unless planes become too much of a problem.

I honestly find the overall atmosphere a little lighter over here, but I have disabled chat for now, i don't need that distraction and came here to chill as much as anything.

Members
3 posts
26 battles

Advanced issue found

22 hours ago, Skpstr said:

There's almost zero point to analysing team tactics in Randoms, because you typically have at best, two separate elements (usually 3 or more) doing their own thing. Whenever you say, "the team did this, and were successful/unsuccessful", it's almost always purely coincidental.

Paraphrased from The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell (Series data: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?30812)

The team. You speak of ‘the team’ as if it were a single, monolithic beast, with countless hands but only a single brain controlling them. Turn that vision around, Admiral. Perhaps you should consider how things would be if the team was, in fact, a mammoth creature with a single tremendous hand but many brains trying to direct that hand in its powerful but clumsy efforts to do something, anything. Which image seems more appropriate to you?”

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

hmm i cannot click that link in your post for some reason...   nor can i quote it wth...

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
2 hours ago, GreybeardHS said:

Paraphrased from The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell (Series data: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?30812)

The team. You speak of ‘the team’ as if it were a single, monolithic beast, with countless hands but only a single brain controlling them. Turn that vision around, Admiral. Perhaps you should consider how things would be if the team was, in fact, a mammoth creature with a single tremendous hand but many brains trying to direct that hand in its powerful but clumsy efforts to do something, anything. Which image seems more appropriate to you?”

weird but i can multi quote it and then i can click the link.. and thanks for that, I am going to check out that series

[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,840 battles
On 3/30/2020 at 9:57 PM, SKurj said:

ok (new guy)

I am trying to understand why i see some tactics in game...  related to map positioning etc, i just came out of a domination map which had 3 cap zones... forgive my crude maps...  (the map had islands just left out for these images)  I am going to review replay again after this and maybe collect the actual map screens  maybe that will be abit more accurate.

Replay link is at the bottom, you can see my lousy shooting (lots of excuses i know...) It was a Tier 5-6 battle and I should have done probably twice as much damage, and luck is the only reason i had the most kills on the team.

Forgot the CV's (diamond shapes) in the first map, but here is the starting layout crude and reduced # of ships just for illustration...

STarting pos:

q1uhUXo.png DCw2JIl.png

I swear some people just wanna sail off the map... are these maps too small?  I seem to think so with ships able to shoot 75%  of the way across the map (i was in fuso, and honestly not really pulling my weight in this match, i've only got  i think less than 10 random battles done in it since... ohh mebbe 2017)..  and cap circles...  greens seemed to be allergic to them, but to be fair the reds had them covered because we were running off the map....

Anyways 3/4 of the way through the match the map now looks like this...

lrOtzrP.png LvxsNqZ.png

Replay:  Fuso Loss

This particular map is pretty much unique because of the way the two teams spawn.  I play cruisers, and this map isn't very friendly to cruisers.  I know, you hear that you should use islands for cover, but that doesn't work here.  From where you spawned, the best move is almost always to head southeast...yes, down towards the map edge.  You use the map edge sort of like a huge island, to protect yourself from getting crossfired.  You do not want to go up into the islands initially because they limit your mauverability.  Those islands are DD country, and if you meet an enemy DD there, he'll have nearly limitless ambush possibilities, and you'll have very limited ability to maneuver in response.  If everyone who spawns with you does this, and the enemy does not, you'll have the opportunity to focus and defeat them in detail.  THEN, once you win your cap, you can head for B, and on North to help your team up there if needed.

Doing this, fairly soon after initial contact with the enemy, I turn away and start working my way back towards the H line or thereabouts.  That allows me to maintain contact with the enemy and keep them under fire, while maintaining a safe distance.  It also puts me in a position to turn into the cap if the opportunity presents, or to at least have a chance of escaping North if things go badly.  Again, this is from the POV of a cruiser.  I would not presume to tell anyone how to play a BB or DD.

• Cool 2