Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HeidiAngel

Some ships just seem Hard

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

538
[TIGRB]
Members
309 posts
1,253 battles

Hey, Hope you all are alright out there!

My best game so far in HMS Hood. I was so excited when I got her for Christmas as I have loved the way she looks ever since My Dad built a Model of her years ago. I read all about her and about her distruction

Anyway some ships you seem to have a natural feel for. I am sad to say My Hood is not one of them. Did you Ladies and Gents know she is only 2 feet shorter than Yamato? Her turning is SOOOO slow it seems.

I only have a 10 point Captain on her so her AA is only ok. Her guns even at 12 k are not consistent and when they do hit they don't seem to do a lot of damage. This game I waited one second longer before firing and my hits were better. 

So hopefully I turned a corner and can start having better games in her. Of course I am willing to listen to any of you if you can help with advice. Please take care of yourselves out there. It's crazy!

 

Screenshot (119).png

Screenshot (120).png

Edited by HeidiAngel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,252
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,103 posts
4,084 battles

Some ships just click with people, and it's not the same for everyone. People rave about Scharnhorst. I had the chance to try her out, and it was just meh. Guns not big enough to do good AP damage, but not fast enough to do good HE damage. Just couldn't figure her out. Does this mean she's a bad ship? No, I'm just not going to buy her. People said CO was trash. When I played it, I actually liked it. Probably not my favorite boat of all time, but I definitely enjoyed my time with her. Some people grumble about how long Iowa, Missouri, and Montana take to turn. I've never had that issue. People love IJN cruisers, I can't stand them because the ship out turns the turrets (slow turrets are a pet peeve of mine, IMO they don't really balance a ship, but make it a lot less fun to play).

Bottom line is it's not unusual that some ships just don't click with you, while others do. That's why you have to read reviews with a grain of salt. It's not you playing. For the most part there's no better ship to play (for the most part, unfortunately the number of exceptions is increasing), it's down to what you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
94
[5D2]
[5D2]
Members
384 posts
8,358 battles
43 minutes ago, HeidiAngel said:

Hey, Hope you all are alright out there!

My best game so far in HMS Hood. I was so excited when I got her for Christmas as I have loved the way she looks ever since My Dad built a Model of her years ago. I read all about her and about her distruction

Anyway some ships you seem to have a natural feel for. I am sad to say My Hood is not one of them. Did you Ladies and Gents know she is only 2 feet shorter than Yamato? Her turning is SOOOO slow it seems.

I only have a 10 point Captain on her so her AA is only ok. Her guns even at 12 k are not consistent and when they do hit they don't seem to do a lot of damage. This game I waited one second longer before firing and my hits were better. 

So hopefully I turned a corner and can start having better games in her. Of course I am willing to listen to any of you if you can help with advice. Please take care of yourselves out there. It's crazy!

U3IYMr1.gif

Screenshot (119).png

Screenshot (120).png

One thing I loved about what you wrote... is that you waited an extra second to fire.  Patience is key for good battleship players. Why fire the second that reload clicks if you are looking to shoot at something bow on. Wait an extra few seconds if you think they’re going to turn or look at your mini map for an opportunistic broadside target to farm those citadels.  Your getting a lot of hits, but try and look for different target selection so you can score some bigger damage. As far as the hood is concerned... don’t have her I hear the guns can be derpy, but she has improved AP angles. 

Edited by gmrbull
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
468
[CLUMP]
Members
818 posts
1,163 battles

This happens to me but on WOT some of the tanks feel like they are literally cursed or something :Smile_sad: I haven't had this issue in this game yet :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,834 posts
36,587 battles

My success with HMS Hood is you turn the ship and not so much the guns. I typically sail the ship wiggling as her side is wide to begin with.

Her speed is her best strength as you move on a flank, but make sure you have room to turn about. If by chance you are in a knife fight, then attack accordingly aiming but swing the ship in a steering arc as you pass a ship to open up an exchange. Approach angled and just like the age of sail you swing around the guns and fire as she bares.

But as you hit your opponent you are steering angled away. Best way to describe this pattern of course is this ) . The top of that arc is your firing point and the ship is angled along that arc.

This applies to all ranges and is key to attacking and taking less pen damage.

The original doctrine of attack by battlecruisers is high speed turns and opening up at angles, but closing to present a less favorable target. Thusly angling.

Angling is a fundamental part of the game and each ship mastery level is unique and depends on speed.

Now steering Hood at high speed makes it swing wide.

But did you know that executing a braking maneuver can shorten that turn radius?

I do this technique in dodging torpedoes and close quarters turning. What I do is at full speed, I shift engine to full reverse and cut in or out to reduce the turn radius. You can also just pop the telegraph from full ahead to 3/4 to suddenly add a short pop brake.

This technique is most deadly to DD against a Colorado player that knows this technique. But can br done on any ship class except CVs.

In DDs, it helps you dodge torps, avoid islands, and causing ships to miss their gunfire.

I use this technique in Benham and it has made that DD a really fun ship to play. It's almost comical. If that DD ever goes on sale, I know a few players that I would gift to as a fun present.

For Hood, it's to reduce that steering arc a bit. Pop the brake hard turn. ( Telegraph from full to 3/4 then back to full quick, then hard turn.

Try this technique in training room and work it in. It comes in handy if you need to make that emergency retreat from a flank without giving up your side so long.

The torp dodge, can be tricky and it's only good in a pinch. It's best to be aware of DDs and to avoid a situation where you are near blind corners.

I wish Hood had a spotter consumable because it's best to pop it up when nearing a corner.

I hope this information helps.

Good luck.

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11
[T-L]
Members
59 posts
2,336 battles

Hood is my father's favorite RN ships. We have two scaled models of it, one is a 1/350 plastic kit, one is handmade by my father. I might get this ship later so that I can recreate a historical event in the Training Room. Use KGV to replace HMS Prince of Wales, use the tier VII cruiser replace the Prinz Eugen (you can buy it as well). I already tried this with my Conqueror instead of Hood...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,133
[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,628 posts
4,995 battles

Hood's guns are not all that, but her armor scheme is excellent for angling in this game.  She'll bounce even Musashi shells off of her sides or deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
538
[TIGRB]
Members
309 posts
1,253 battles
6 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

My success with HMS Hood is you turn the ship and not so much the guns. I typically sail the ship wiggling as her side is wide to begin with.

Her speed is her best strength as you move on a flank, but make sure you have room to turn about. If by chance you are in a knife fight, then attack accordingly aiming but swing the ship in a steering arc as you pass a ship to open up an exchange. Approach angled and just like the age of sail you swing around the guns and fire as she bares.

But as you hit your opponent you are steering angled away. Best way to describe this pattern of course is this ) . The top of that arc is your firing point and the ship is angled along that arc.

This applies to all ranges and is key to attacking and taking less pen damage.

The original doctrine of attack by battlecruisers is high speed turns and opening up at angles, but closing to present a less favorable target. Thusly angling.

Angling is a fundamental part of the game and each ship mastery level is unique and depends on speed.

Now steering Hood at high speed makes it swing wide.

But did you know that executing a braking maneuver can shorten that turn radius?

I do this technique in dodging torpedoes and close quarters turning. What I do is at full speed, I shift engine to full reverse and cut in or out to reduce the turn radius. You can also just pop the telegraph from full ahead to 3/4 to suddenly add a short pop brake.

This technique is most deadly to DD against a Colorado player that knows this technique. But can br done on any ship class except CVs.

In DDs, it helps you dodge torps, avoid islands, and causing ships to miss their gunfire.

I use this technique in Benham and it has made that DD a really fun ship to play. It's almost comical. If that DD ever goes on sale, I know a few players that I would gift to as a fun present.

For Hood, it's to reduce that steering arc a bit. Pop the brake hard turn. ( Telegraph from full to 3/4 then back to full quick, then hard turn.

Try this technique in training room and work it in. It comes in handy if you need to make that emergency retreat from a flank without giving up your side so long.

The torp dodge, can be tricky and it's only good in a pinch. It's best to be aware of DDs and to avoid a situation where you are near blind corners.

I wish Hood had a spotter consumable because it's best to pop it up when nearing a corner.

I hope this information helps.

Good luck.

 

 

Sir, Thank you for your help. I was in a knife fight in that game with a USS Colorado. My speed helped a lot and I did angle. Colorado's 16 inch guns still hurt me pretty good through my bow. But at 6 k away My 15 forward guns ripped through his bow and took the last 8,000 HP he had left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
259
[TRU]
Members
597 posts
18,195 battles
6 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Hood's guns are not all that, but her armor scheme is excellent for angling in this game.  She'll bounce even Musashi shells off of her sides or deck.

Really?  I may have to give her another try.  I wasn't too impressed with her guns but to be fair, I only sailed her a couple of times.   

Unfortunately I am at this point in the game where I feel like I am more of a collector than a player with close to 300 ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TORCH]
Members
594 posts
14,799 battles

I play cruisers almost exclusively, and most certainly can't advise you on BB play.  But I can tell you that you most certainly will find some ships that just work for you, and others that just don't.  My textbook example for this is the Omaha.  You'll find lots of people who think it's a terrible ship, and couldn't wait to get rid of it.  For them, it just doesn't work.  For me...it's a great ship.  Huge citadel and all.  I can't even tell you exactly why, but Omaha and I get along very well, and my stats in the ship bear it out.  Many a player has underestimated my Omaha, to his later regret.

But...got a ship you really want to like, and it isn't clicking for you?  There IS hope.  Again, from my cruiser experience, I give you Nurnberg.  Reviewers say she's a pretty good ship.  I got her and...just couldn't get the ship to work for me.  But I kept on working the ship, playing it every day, and also played around a little with modules and captain builds, and...finally, it's another of my favorites.  It didn't happen overnight, but gradually I got to where the ship is working well for me.  In the case of Omaha, the ship just "fit" me.  But Nurnberg was more like I had to fit ME to the ship.  It took a little longer, but the end result was the same.  So, to slightly misquote a famous naval officer, don't give up on your ship.  Just keep working on it.  You've got the right attitude, and there are folks on this forum who will be able to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
770
[REVY]
Members
2,282 posts
12,244 battles

Hood's guns can be trolling at times. Some shots everything is fine, others find the next zip code.

Even when the shells hit, the damage isn't what you hope for.

 

Most ships have a quirk or two that you need to get used to to overcome, and Hood is no exception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,834 posts
36,587 battles
1 hour ago, HeidiAngel said:

Sir, Thank you for your help. I was in a knife fight in that game with a USS Colorado. My speed helped a lot and I did angle. Colorado's 16 inch guns still hurt me pretty good through my bow. But at 6 k away My 15 forward guns ripped through his bow and took the last 8,000 HP he had left.

That is a nice shot. The 15 inch guns shoot fairly flat so it's easy to bow pen almost every ship Hood faces. Even uptiered you just have to be clever about it.

I am glad you are doing well with the ship.

Colorado has the front bow weakness but once saturated it's still able to tank. That is one very difficult shot at range. Up close is always possible.

You did great. You are on your way to being very successful in Battleships. If you master the difficult ones you master them all.

This holds true on any nation tech tree. You have the basics down and you already show proficiency in precision shooting.

I know of a few players that do this well. One in particular, amazes even me as they have become a quick study. Mainly because they used to do mainly carriers, but now that player has expanded their skills to all ship types. Hard work and practice is key. And this one particular player practices intensely.

I believe that this is the shape of things to come for this game. Players eager to learn from veteran players who are more than willing to lend their experience.

Have fun out there on the seas. May your pens be mighty and your citadels be plentiful.

<O

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,697
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,883 posts
17,922 battles

Best kite BB in the game.  Great speed.  I even recommend flagging her for the additional 5%.  Because 5% more of a lot...is...well 5% MORE of a lot.  I think it gets you to about 34knots.  

Gotta watch the matchmaking and tier.  Like to show up at tier or top tier at a cap just behind my DDs....where the reds only have CA support...and you get to whap some CAs.  Bottom tier...kiting is her specialty. You can take up time and effort of several higher tier ships as they run after you.  If they turn in, then you turn back and get 'em broadside.  Rinse repeat.  A Hood lurking on a flank can be a very dangerous beast for the reds.

Kites can also work at top and mid tier if you find yourself at a cap occupied by a superior enemy force.  Concept is same as bottom tier.  Force them to chase you...spend time on you at the expense of not engaging other friendlies.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
538
[TIGRB]
Members
309 posts
1,253 battles
11 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Best kite BB in the game.  Great speed.  I even recommend flagging her for the additional 5%.  Because 5% more of a lot...is...well 5% MORE of a lot.  I think it gets you to about 34knots.  

Gotta watch the matchmaking and tier.  Like to show up at tier or top tier at a cap just behind my DDs....where the reds only have CA support...and you get to whap some CAs.  Bottom tier...kiting is her specialty. You can take up time and effort of several higher tier ships as they run after you.  If they turn in, then you turn back and get 'em broadside.  Rinse repeat.  A Hood lurking on a flank can be a very dangerous beast for the reds.

Kites can also work at top and mid tier if you find yourself at a cap occupied by a superior enemy force.  Concept is same as bottom tier.  Force them to chase you...spend time on you at the expense of not engaging other friendlies.  

Thank you. I did some kiting in that game. Against Colorado.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
215 posts
5,328 battles

Play CV's you'll get a bird eye view of all the mistakes and things we see when your up in the clouds.
giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×