You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WanderingGhost

"Is my AA good" - Simple way to tell without AA rating

5 comments in this topic

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,202 posts
12,101 battles

Okay, I've really hit my breaking point on people using AA ratings and bringing them up. 

If you look at the AA ratings, it's such an obscure number with so little meaning you think your AA is one thing yet you slaughter or get slaughtered by planes. So I'm going to give an overly simplified way to get an idea what your going to do to a CV's planes but it will require math on your end (unless I figure out an easy way to do it on a google sheet and/or people are willing to donate cash for the amount of time it will take me to run through every ship, CV, possible setup)

Simply put what truly determines if your AA is good is how long planes are in your AA, and how much damage is done every second. It's why Kremlin at tier 10 outperforms Montana at downing planes, and Yamato seems pathetic. longer range is better and obviously, more damage is better, but truth be told you want both. Also, these are a general guideline - not insanely specific numbers (some planes will be faster, slower, more HP, less HP).

Tier Speed (km/s) HP per plane
10 .5 km every second 2000
8 .45 km every second 1800
6 .4 km every second 15-1600
4 .35 km every second ~1400

So lets take Benson, tier 8 USN DD and put it against a tier 6 CV.  You have the B hull, no flags/skills/modz. Long range is 5.8 km at 77 damage every second, short range is 2 km at 60 damage every second. Tier 6 average is .4 km and 1500 HP on the low end. Your long range AA will fire at them on the way in 14 times at 77 damage, and short range 5 times at 60 - roughly 1378 on the first attack run, just short of knocking a plane down. The C hull while taking away a little from long range and a lot from short range adds 49 DP at 3.5 km, meaning 8 seconds of damage - the overall change being an increase to 1525 - a better chance you down a plane in the first pass. Obviously DFAA (50% more damage) and sectors (varies) increase or decrease these numbers, but that is your rough baseline of what your ship can do against a CV of the tier without you doing anything.

For any who want to do all the math for the most specific numbers - aircraft damage = AA Range/([plane speed in knots*2.6854]*1000) * DPS. The first part gets you time in AA, and then you multiply it by DPS number for that range.

It's also a good idea of how long till a CV can hit you again - and to track them down by range. The number in the chart are if a CV can maintain maximum speed on planes (usually done on attack runs) - so generally, if a CV is hitting you every 90 seconds and is tier 6 - odds are he's roughly 6-9 grid squares away in the direction of the planes. Basically while there is some map size overlap - takes roughly 10 seconds for plane at a tier to cover a grid square in their tier range at top speed. 

That little chart is easier, and while not perfect - will give you a far better idea just what your AA can do against a CV than the nonsense port rating ever will. 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,939 posts
18,298 battles
19 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Kremlin at tier 10 outperforms Montana at downing planes, and Yamato seems pathetic

That is a pretty good assessment. Just speaking from the threshold of pain approaching these ships. My experience the Kremlin and Republique are the most painful T10 tech tree BB's to approach from the air. Next would be mid level Monty (ironically used to be the best AA BB in the game *cough* power creep *cough*). The bottom finished out by the GK, Conqueror, and Yamaha.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,819 posts
4,285 battles

I have a much simpler way. CV lower tier than you, you're fine he can't do anything. CV equal tier, the CV might not get you, but he'll make sure his teammates do. CV higher tier, don't even bother turning the AA on, it's just dropping your FPS at this point.

So far this system has worked pretty well.

The only thing WG managed to screw up worse than CVs was AA...

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
904 posts
1,880 battles

Still turning on aa despite have high tier planes on you still widens their aiming points as well as give you more specific and credits due to damaging the planes at least plus a bonus for shooting down planes of higher tiers

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,855 posts
14,882 battles

What you have for AA is also a big factor. The Nicholas with its dual purpose guns backing up the .50 Browning's and 28mm's is a far bigger threat to a CV's planes than the Visby which does have a rather nice suite of 20 & 40 mm's which doesn't have dual purpose guns backing them up even though those rapid fire cannons are much better than the MG's and 28mm guns of the Nicholas.

The Texas doesn't have dual purpose guns backing up her 20 & 40 mm AA she does have a nice suite of dedicated 3"/76.2 mm flak guns. The ships that do well have a nice mix of AA guns.

Edited by BrushWolf