You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HorrorRoach

Drake... Come on.

26 comments in this topic

[BS]
Members
1,995 posts
11,407 battles

Is this thing the new Izumo, free xp sink? 

1. The shell velocity is comically bad. Accuracy isn't anything to write home about either, come on. It fires so slowly, could it at least have slightly better then average dispersion/sigma? Not saying it needs Venezia dispersion or something for Christ's sake.

2. The maneuverability is horrendous, even with Steering gears 3 and Propulsion mod, you're literally forced to take these because the ship drives like a BB if you don't... That's not an exaggeration. The ruddershift is ridiculously slow. Propulsion mod doesn't help the acceleration much either.

3. The reload is so long if you go range mod, to 18.8km... 18s. You're terrible at long range for anything other then burning BB's, which doesn't influence the match very much.

4. Reload option, drops range to 15.9km at 15s reload. This lets you influence the match more, but you're still humping islands and sitting bow in, you eat full pens like crazy. Everyone know's you're a juicy target. I average over 1mil potential damage every game.

5.  The AP isn't even that good. For everything that sucks about the ship, they don't even give it GOOD AP? 

How did it get through all the testing and end up like this? There's no excuse, it has to be intentional. There are too many negative's and not enough positives. If you think Puerto Rico is mediocre, it's a monster compared to Drake.  

By the way, I refuse to blow free xp on it. And I refuse to waste my special signals to grind it quickly.

EJ

Edited by HorrorRoach
  • Cool 1

[BS]
Members
1,995 posts
11,407 battles

I know exactly what they're gunna do. They're gunna buff the reload slightly and call it a day. Not good enough.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
18 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

1. The shell velocity is comically bad. Accuracy isn't anything to write home about either, come on. It fires so slowly, could it at least have slightly better then average dispersion/sigma? Not saying it needs Venezia dispersion or something for Christ's sake.

2. The maneuverability is horrendous, even with Steering gears 3 and Propulsion mod, you're literally forced to take these because the ship drives like a BB if you don't... That's not an exaggeration. The ruddershift is ridiculously slow. Propulsion mod doesn't help the acceleration much either.

3. The reload is so long if you go range mod, to 18.8km... 18s. You're terrible at long range for anything other then burning BB's, which doesn't influence the match very much.

4. Reload option, drops range to 15.9km at 15s reload. This lets you influence the match more, but you're still humping islands and sitting bow in, you eat full pens like crazy. Everyone know's you're a juicy target. I average over 1mil potential damage every game.

5.  The AP isn't even that good. For everything that sucks about the ship, they don't even give it GOOD AP? 

How did it get through all the testing and end up like this? There's no excuse, it has to be intentional. There are too many negative's and not enough positives. If you think Puerto Rico is mediocre, it's a monster compared to Drake.  

By the way, I refuse to blow free xp on it. And I refuse to waste my special signals to grind it quickly.

EJ

Just finished the Drake grind myself.  Some insight from here:

1.  The velocity is pretty bad all the way up the line.  Why are you surprised?

2.  The maneuverability is pretty sluggish all the way up the line.  Why are you surprised?

3.  I'll agree the reload is long, but the guns punch pretty hard.   I tried both and stuck more with range mod due to the easily hit citadel on it.  5-8k HE salvos are easily common.  Turning down the reload would make these very, very strong guns.

4.  I never humped islands with it, but found for me, the most successful play to play her was to kite and burn things down.  Didn't have much success any other way.

5.  The AP pen is pitiful.  But the HE is very strong, has great pen, and an amazing fire starting chance.  You'll find the most success sticking to HE 95% of the time.

At least it's an improvement over Albemarle in almost every significant way.  Even though that's not saying much.

Edited by Ace_04
  • Cool 1

[BOMBL]
Members
1,220 posts
15,717 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

4.  I never humped islands with it, but found for me, the most successful play to play her was to kite and burn things down.  Didn't have much success any other way.

5.  The AP pen is pitiful.  But the HE is very strong, has great pen, and an amazing fire starting chance.  You'll find the most success sticking to HE 95% of the time.

4. Stay at max range and kite. Very yes

5. I gave up on AP. HE only

[BS]
Members
1,995 posts
11,407 battles

I guess it just bugs me that they released a defective ship right out of the gate. It's not the Izumo where the meta left it behind over the years. They released it like this, knowing full well how bad it is. It's a tech tree ship for crap sake, they can nerf it if it overperforms.

[CRUEL]
Members
529 posts
9,363 battles

I played 3 games in abermale and sold it. Decided not to go any further. Guess I made the right choice. Devonshire is a fun ship, Surrey is ok. But the rest just seem like a waste.

[SALVO]
Members
26,113 posts
29,100 battles

I really dislike how weak the AP is on the RN CA's as you increase in tiers.  On the Hawkins, the AP's not too bad because so many cruisers it's likely to see have really poor armor anyways.  But it's really frustrating to have a line of heavy cruisers where your range is so short and your reload is so painfully slow that you don't AT LEAST have good AP and good HE.  It would go a fair way towards making up for the other things that are bad about their guns.

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
17,660 battles
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

I guess it just bugs me that they released a defective ship right out of the gate. It's not the Izumo where the meta left it behind over the years. They released it like this, knowing full well how bad it is. It's a tech tree ship for crap sake, they can nerf it if it overperforms.

How do you figure it's defective?  I do fairly well in the Drake and I actually like it better than Goliath because she has a spotter plane and Goliath doesn't.  I've played it with both range mode and reload mod and I prefer the reload mod.  The HE hits like a ton of bricks and you should stick with that the majority of the time.  While I'd like to see a reload or range buff Drake certainly isn't defective. Just be mindful of angling and you can take a LOT of damage and still survive.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
9 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

Calling something "defective" because it doesn't work for you is a pretty narrow-minded statement.  There are likely many that get great results from Drake.

The ship caters itself to a particular playstyle, which as evidenced by your statements, is definitely not that of a USN cruiser.

While I don't particularly find much joy in these British heavies, I won't argue that they are capable damage dealers.  Found it relatively easy to rack up 150k+ damage games in Drake without even sweating much (once I figured out the playstyle with the 234's).  It's just not a particularly engaging experience to me.  There are many other more impactful high tier cruisers if that is something you're yearning for.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,840 posts
25,782 battles
10 hours ago, wstugamd said:

4. Stay at max range and kite. Very yes

5. I gave up on AP. HE only

The AP on these 234s are mediocre a.f. man.  203mm AP is just as good and Zao's is actually better than RN 234mm AP.

I remember looking up the Tier X CA AP Pen values, compared the RN 234mm HE and AP characteristics to each other, it becomes extremely clear that at least with Drake and Goliath, WG wants you to pretend the "2" key doesn't exist.

10 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

Tier IX has a long tradition of being the "FreeXP" pay wall.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
Members
13,406 posts
28,092 battles

I liked Albemarle actually and I really like Goliath but I have no use for Drake. I feel bad for putting my Jingles Capt on it as I never play it because it is so poor (IMO YMMV).

I like the analogy that it is the Izumo of Cruisers. My issue with it is the armor. It reminds me of Pensacola. No matter what angle you take you get hammered and roflstomped in it. I think the entire ship is made of citadel. :Smile_amazed:

Goliath isn't exactly covered with impenetrable armor but it can tank when angled and is a strong ship. Drake is just awful though.  

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,722 posts
11,087 battles

The Drake can deal damage with its strong HE.  Its AP is best left alone.  The biggest problem with the Drake, is that it is a big sluggish ship with short range guns.  That is a bad combination.  You need at least one of those previous attributes to survive.  So, you need to be very careful with your engagement, because you won't have the wiggle to avoid any shots at the range where you can target the enemy.  Use islands as cover but keep moving in this ship.  I've only played a few games in mine, but I can see its potential.  It could us a buff to make it work for most players.

[VVV]
Beta Testers
810 posts
7,265 battles

Doesn't get really much better with the Goliath. I'm a n00b casual bad player. But out of all my T10 Cruisers this line in general has been pretty lackluster overall. Hoping the T10 would be better. It's just not really.

Don't get me wrong, The crap reload time is fine, The lack of any decent range for T10 battles is fine, Having basically any decent utility is fine. And somehow having worse armor then even my Mino is fine too. But this shell speed is just trash, You'll almost never hit a DD unless it stops for you or keeps going in a straight line for 10 to 15 seconds straight. 

The heal is ok I guess but only 3 charges? Not that you'll stay alive long enough to use 4 anyway if you're hit much. 

For my poor skills at the game, The ship can hit decently well, and lights a fair amount of fires but it's so situational that I rarely have good games without being one shot behind a mountain or trying to slowly dodge incoming fire. The ships just eats all damage. Yet forces you to be on the front line to hit anything more then a DD, which is near impossible. lol

Not asking for much but if the shell speed was just better, That would really do wonders for a bad player like me.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,182 battles

drake has been a grind.   not even a good damage farmer.  almost ready to fxp the last 80k  lol.     only good thing is heal and  HE being strong, but slow reload and slow [edited]shell makes it very tough to use.  it really need a buff in shell speed if nothing else. 

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
17,660 battles
17 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The AP on these 234s are mediocre a.f. man.  203mm AP is just as good and Zao's is actually better than RN 234mm AP.

I remember looking up the Tier X CA AP Pen values, compared the RN 234mm HE and AP characteristics to each other, it becomes extremely clear that at least with Drake and Goliath, WG wants you to pretend the "2" key doesn't exist.

Tier IX has a long tradition of being the "FreeXP" pay wall.

I don't think the AP is that bad, it's just that the HE is so dang good you want to stick with it most of the time. I was able to citadel a Yamato at about 11km with Goliath lol.

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
17,660 battles
15 hours ago, Naviss said:

Doesn't get really much better with the Goliath. I'm a n00b casual bad player. But out of all my T10 Cruisers this line in general has been pretty lackluster overall. Hoping the T10 would be better. It's just not really.

Don't get me wrong, The crap reload time is fine, The lack of any decent range for T10 battles is fine, Having basically any decent utility is fine. And somehow having worse armor then even my Mino is fine too. But this shell speed is just trash, You'll almost never hit a DD unless it stops for you or keeps going in a straight line for 10 to 15 seconds straight. 

The heal is ok I guess but only 3 charges? Not that you'll stay alive long enough to use 4 anyway if you're hit much. 

For my poor skills at the game, The ship can hit decently well, and lights a fair amount of fires but it's so situational that I rarely have good games without being one shot behind a mountain or trying to slowly dodge incoming fire. The ships just eats all damage. Yet forces you to be on the front line to hit anything more then a DD, which is near impossible. lol

Not asking for much but if the shell speed was just better, That would really do wonders for a bad player like me.

While I think that Drake and Goliath should get either a range or reload buff, they're pretty decent just the way they are. The super heals allow you to take an incredible amount of damage for a cruiser and stay alive.  I had a really nice game in Goliath today: 

goliath4.JPG

20200331_145230_PBSC210-Goliath_45_Zigzag.wowsreplay

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
679 posts
12,802 battles
On 3/30/2020 at 5:16 PM, HorrorRoach said:

EJ

true i really did not like the t9 RN CA.  But dont worry the T10 alot better reload still sucks

[BS]
Members
1,995 posts
11,407 battles

I started playing with the reload mod, iIve gotten better now. My win-rate is slowly creeping up.

Funny thing is, I'm like 15k xp away from the Goliath. Oh well, heh. Hey, I'm not selling it though, I refuse to sell T9's to fund the T10. I need to play Missouri a few times a day in perpetuity so I can rebuy all the T8/T9's so I can profit properly from coak flake events etc.

EJ

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,813 posts
7,511 battles
On 3/30/2020 at 8:04 PM, Darmokattenagra said:

I played 3 games in abermale and sold it. Decided not to go any further. Guess I made the right choice. Devonshire is a fun ship, Surrey is ok. But the rest just seem like a waste.

Pretty much right here also..  I've got 120k xp on Albermarle and i am having such a bad time with this line I shelve it every time I  play one or two games trying to get my daily.   There is always a tough spot in every tech tree, but this one feels like a spot I'm not going to get over..   

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Will be a long time before I get to Drake, if ever... Devonshire doesn't justify coming out of port more than maybe once a day to get the daily bonus... not sure if I'm going to get even past that ship before May 20th. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,840 posts
25,782 battles
On 3/31/2020 at 9:52 PM, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

I don't think the AP is that bad, it's just that the HE is so dang good you want to stick with it most of the time. I was able to citadel a Yamato at about 11km with Goliath lol.

It's not a good combination to use AP with Goliath regularly.  As said before, the AP on these 234s isn't really good and in line with 203mm guns.  Those 203mm guns also reload a lot faster, some blisteringly fast like Des Moines and Hindenburg.  For the amount of time it takes to reload the 234mm guns for AP shells with nothing special to them, they're a bad option, IMO.

If you had Hindenburg in that same situation your Goliath was in, Hindy would hammer away again and again at base  8.6 seconds reload, faster if Adrenaline Rush is kicking in, and she'll get more and more and more Citadels.

She has just as many rifles as Goliath, fires much faster, and her smaller AP is just as good as Goliath's.

4 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Will be a long time before I get to Drake, if ever... Devonshire doesn't justify coming out of port more than maybe once a day to get the daily bonus... not sure if I'm going to get even past that ship before May 20th. 

Wait until you get to Albemarle.  You ever played Neptune with no smoke?  That's what it's like.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
2,445 posts
5,464 battles

I skipped the entire line and went straight to Goliath. Basically because i know how all these cruisers play. However, the UK cruisers need some loving. Their HE pen is great, but that reload...umpf. 

I don't know how they can balance the two. 

Members
2,445 posts
5,464 battles
On 4/1/2020 at 12:52 AM, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Ap is only good against the broadsiest of broadside targets. And you need to be 10km< to do anything. Think i read somewhere UK CA AP has the worst pen in the game.

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
17,660 battles
2 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

Ap is only good against the broadsiest of broadside targets. And you need to be 10km< to do anything. Think i read somewhere UK CA AP has the worst pen in the game.

It's not that bad, it's just that the HE is so good.