Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
sasquatch_research

Torpedo Damage calculations?

7 comments in this topic

[THREE]
Members
2,400 posts
13,188 battles

Hey

I played my T8 Asashio today which does a claimed 20967 damage per Torp.  I hit a T7 Scharnhorst which has a 22% torp reduction, with 1 torpedo.  If one takes 20967 - 22% = 16, 354 damage.  But according to the games detailed report I only did 10,361 damage (not counting any flooding) from that torpedo to the Scharnhorst, so I have a net loss of -5,993 damage points.  What is going on here; seems like simple calculations given for specs are incorrect, especially when I am 1 tier up on a Scharnhorst.  What happens when your damage is only 14400 or less, you get ripped off.  Is this legitimate or a possible game manipulation where ships stats are lies, same could be said for fire starting, AA ratings, gun damages, etc.

Pete

[HINON]
Members
13,260 posts
13 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

Damage saturation.

Vv63hqb.gif

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 1

[THREE]
Members
2,400 posts
13,188 battles
45 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Damage saturation.

Vv63hqb.gif

Hey

Then why is it if you take a torp, there never seems to be any damage saturation?  RNG [edited]?

Pete

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,026 posts
11,610 battles
40 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

game manipulation where ships stats are lies, same could be said for fire starting, AA ratings, gun damages, etc.

Torpedoes specifically - Bow and Stern of all ships has a 10% damage reduction to torpedoes, DD center section also has 10% reduction.  Beyond that you have other things like damage done to module, not ship, damage saturation which reduces damage (and is easy to achieve with high alpha weapons) and other factors that may slip my mind.

Fire starting - your ship ha whatever fire chance, ship being shot at has a resistance that reduces that chance, after that if we assume the game is rolling just for you in order to set a fire just for you (and not any defense roll for the ship) then if it's a 0-99 range you need to roll 90-99 with a 10% chance. And it's just that - a die roll. There is no guarantee that you will hit the numbers 10 times to start that many fire, just as there is none you won't hit it instead 20 times in the same 100 hit the next game.

AA Ratings - how many times do we have to say this - AA RATINGS ARE A MEANINGLESS MALARKEY NUMBER THAT SHOULD BE IGNORED. At best it's relative to a ship of type and tier. Anyone who want to know how good your AA is - look at how man flak bursts your throwing up, and what your DP is and at what range. Wanna know why Kremlin is king at shooting planes down - it's DP guns have .6km range more a well a 70 DPS more than Montana (who is second place far as tech tree ships) and t's lowest range AA gun open fire at 3.1 km, not 2 km, meaning more damage over more time, as well as 2 extra flak bursts to overwhelm a CV trying to dodge (10 vs Monty's 8). Depending on plane and maintained top speed - it take 9-10 second to travel 5 km on high tier plane (a grid square on most high tier maps is 4.8 km). So aside from the extra 70 damage every second for 9-10 seconds, it gets a whole extra hit at 245 damage, and a good 2 seconds more of higher damage from it' 'short range' guns. It's the same reason Yamato's DPS seems almost negligible most of the time - what DPS it ha is at 2.5 km meaning maybe 5 seconds at about 400 DPS maybe if you have upgrades for it. You need either stupidly high short range DPS that no ship has - if you really want to know how good a ship AA is see what it's long and mid ranges are and how much damage they do.

Gun damage - Max damage is only on citadel hits, full penetration is damage*0.33, over pen is damage*0.1, damage saturation can reduce those number as well other than citadel hit.

[HINON]
Members
13,260 posts
3 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Then why is it if you take a torp, there never seems to be any damage saturation?  RNG [edited]?

Pete

Experiment in the training room. You'll find how saturation works best in a controlled environment. Like purposely shoot torps at just the bow of various ships and record the dmg it takes to saturate. Etc etc.

[THREE]
Members
2,400 posts
13,188 battles

Hey

I could buy the whole saturation argument if I was shooting HE or even AP but torps hit below the waterline and he hadn't been hit by any other torps since he was a backfield BB and I was the only DD that was within 15km of him when my torp hit.

Pete

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,550 battles
18 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I could buy the whole saturation argument if I was shooting HE or even AP but torps hit below the waterline and he hadn't been hit by any other torps since he was a backfield BB and I was the only DD that was within 15km of him when my torp hit.

Pete

Its DMG saturation....

A ship has "compartments" every compartment have a HP value... Each compartment is given a value therefor it will equal the total "hull" HP pool for the ship... 

Now, remember you're not the only one hitting ordnance onto the ship's compartments, draining its HP to sink it...

There for returning back to your example... You and others in your fleet, hit a compartment based on the DMG of the ordnance being fired...

You were rewarded the max DMG amount, while the others got the rest before DMG saturation set in...

I am willing to bet, if a torp or a shell hit that compartment after you were awarded the 10K DMG.... The result would have been zero DMG...

Now dont take my word for it... Test it out in the test rooms.

Sign in to follow this