You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TaxDollarsAtWork

What Cruiser line is closest to the Italians?

18 comments in this topic

[NSEW]
Members
467 posts
4,134 battles

I am nearing the end of my grind of the Italians and have come to be very fond of these ships I'd say my favourites in the game but once I hit Tier 10 I wonder what else is there?

None of the trees except maybe pan asian destroyers catch my eye but I can't think of another cruiser line to grind, I've tried French up to the Emile and the UK up to the Leander and know I am not interested in those lines play styles at all. So what other cruisers are like the RM ones?

I am looking for things like good handling (ideally nice rudder) and agility, speed, and good shell velocity for long range kitting

Slow turret rotation and long reloads are not turn offs, if it doesn't have Hydro or Radar that is also fine by me.

Or is it high time to try another class of ship?

Edited by TaxDollarsAtWork

Alpha Tester
4,298 posts
7,238 battles
2 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

I am nearing the end of my grind of the Italians and have come to be very fond of these ships I'd say my favourites in the game but once I hit Tier 10 I wonder what else is there?

None of the trees except maybe pan asian destroyers catch my eye but I can't think of another cruiser line to grind, I've tried French up to the Emile and the UK up to the Leander and know I am not interested in those lines play styles at all. So what other cruisers are like the RM ones? Or is it high time to try another class of ship?

It's pretty much the French if you're looking for high mobility and long-range capability on a cruiser line. I'd get to Algerie before deciding you don't like the line. After that maybe the Germans for high-pen HE? They're not that similar though.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,867 posts
14,882 battles

I would say RN CL's would be the closest.

3 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

It's pretty much the French if you're looking for high mobility and long-range capability on a cruiser line. I'd get to Algerie before deciding you don't like the line. After that maybe the Germans for high-pen HE? They're not that similar though.

Them too until you get to the Henri and its low tier BB acceleration.

Alpha Tester
4,298 posts
7,238 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I would say RN CL's would be the closest.

Them too until you get to the Henri and its low tier BB acceleration.

RN CL don't really have many of the same traits? Their AP works similarly mechanically to SAP, but the ships are very different. They have good turning response, but aren't that fast and definitely don't possess good ballistics.

Henri has the BB throttle shift but as long as you leave throttle at max it doesn't matter.

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

IJN Cruisers, they are fast, instead of smoke they get great concelament. Great HE alpha +fires (AP is pretty good aswell). Long range torps. Zao has "laser" guns like Venezia. 

Edited by Xlap
  • Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,867 posts
14,882 battles
1 minute ago, Aetreus said:

RN CL don't really have many of the same traits? Their AP works similarly mechanically to SAP, but the ships are very different. They have good turning response, but aren't that fast and definitely don't possess good ballistics.

Henri has the BB throttle shift but as long as you leave throttle at max it doesn't matter.

I fell they could have handled the speed change better and that about half the change they did make would be better and the DM with the UU accelerates and decelerates even faster and it was left unchanged.

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,366 posts
17,006 battles
54 minutes ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

You should try the USSR cruiser line.

Their AP is nasty and the good advantages of this grind, based on your profile, are: you will get a free Premium Ship when the USSR line split happen a.k.a if you had the Kirov. If you grind quick enough to t10, the Moskva, she also be turn into a Special Ship status, this will be similar to Premium Ship.

Now, it will also come down to how WG decided to give out to their player based on the line split if you already had Moskva and if it moved up. At the moment we don't know. WG is very tight lip about this

But you can researched for what WG awarded the players; based on couple of line splits ago, the IJN dd, the USSR dd, and the USA cruiser. It very nice if you had all the tech tree ships available before the split to get the maximum reward.

regards,

[KIA-C]
Members
3,672 posts
16,224 battles

There's no cruiser line similar to Italian one.

Italian ship are pretty stupid once you reach the T9-T10. SAP is very strong and even if it doesn't start fire, it's not really hard to land 6-10k hit/salvo. They're fast, have good armour, smoke that allows you to disengage/push safely and a lot of guns.

Something quite close to Venezia would be Henri, but Henri has less armour, BB like handling, slower shell velocity and is only fast when speed boost is active, so you would basically play a worse Venezia. What you would gain in return by playing Henri is MBRB and fire starting ability.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,824 posts
4,285 battles
1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

You should try the USSR cruiser line.

Their AP is nasty and the good advantages of this grind, based on your profile, are: you will get a free Premium Ship when the USSR line split happen a.k.a if you had the Kirov. If you grind quick enough to t10, the Moskva, she also be turn into a Special Ship status, this will be similar to Premium Ship.

Now, it will also come down to how WG decided to give out to their player based on the line split if you already had Moskva and if it moved up. At the moment we don't know. WG is very tight lip about this

But you can researched for what WG awarded the players; based on couple of line splits ago, the IJN dd, the USSR dd, and the USA cruiser. It very nice if you had all the tech tree ships available before the split to get the maximum reward.

regards,

I second this. Long range HE spam, with nasty AP surprises, especially on Moskva.

IJN and MN would also be options.

I don't think RN is really similar. Yes they both have SAP (different kinds though), and while the RN CLs can do crazy acceleration, the open water gunboating isn't really possible, it will just get you deleted eventually. VMF, MN, or IJN (in that order) are what I would suggest.

[ARGSY]
Members
679 posts
10,851 battles

I have rediscovered the Russian CA line. Am back in the Schors and like it much better now. Learning the Italians has as a afterthought taught me to play the Russians better.  They don't turn as well as Italians turn and are very squishy but the guns are god like.  If you like high velocity and accurate guns then the Russians or possibly the French will suit you.  Japanese CAs are very  good all around boats but WG tends to give newer lines good AA but have not upgraded the older lines. So Japanese ships really don't have good AA. (But that was the case in real life so maybe it is for the flavor).

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,030 battles
20 hours ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

None of the trees except maybe pan asian destroyers catch my eye but I can't think of another cruiser line to grind, I've tried French up to the Emile and the UK up to the Leander and know I am not interested in those lines play styles at all. So what other cruisers are like the RM ones?

I am looking for things like good handling (ideally nice rudder) and agility, speed, and good shell velocity for long range kitting

Slow turret rotation and long reloads are not turn offs, if it doesn't have Hydro or Radar that is also fine by me.

Since the VMF ships are based off of Italian designs...then probably the VMF. You just have to learn your rudder sucks.

Im actually looking at this from the other side. I enjoy the VMF style...so Im thinking about making Italian cruisers my next line.

[SGSS]
Members
5,743 posts
21 hours ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

I have all crusier save the IJN the Itialians are totaly different.

I really disliked this line until t7 but t8 was great cant wait for t10.

French would be your closest with speed boost and reload boost.  

Germans are great with very good HE and big hits with AP and you kite with all of there ships.

Members
237 posts

I would have said the French one myself too, not that there is anything wrong with the IJN one, indeed it was the first I took to tier ten when I started playing the game(worth free Xping past the Kuma!!!)

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

At Brindisi now.

The tier 5-8 are trash. They feel like  a worse pre buff Japanese or maybe a hybrid of modern game Frenchapanese but just all bad traits.

The 9 is amazing. It's an improved Roon that trades a little tankiness for more guns and smoke clouds.

The line is a painful grind until T9.

[NG-NL]
Members
394 posts
10,475 battles

Yeah, there's nothing else quite like the Italian cruisers.

French cruisers, maybe. Japanese cruisers might not have the shell arcs you want.

Have you considered the Russian gunboat DD line that leads to Khabarovsk?