You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Corpral_Hikimura

I'm terrible at DD, but I can't really figure out what I'm doing wrong.

46 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
1,152 battles

So I've been playing the game for a while now, mostly playing battleships and carriers. But I've wanted to branch out and learn the other two classes the game currently has. cruisers are easy enough, smaller, faster, less tanky battleships; but when it comes to destroyers I just can't seem to do any of it right, and I was hoping that someone might be able to help me figure it out so I could work to be a better player for the sake of my teammates.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,955 posts
14,537 battles

Kinda hard to say what you doing wrong without see any replay yours.

So a question, what you "expect" and "try" do as a dd?

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,478 posts
2,169 battles
9 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

The easiest solution is to not play DDs. They're really just not worth it anymore.

I wouldn't say that.  I've been having a lot of fun playing DDs recently, save for when I have the undivided attention of a CV.

[ANZ4C]
Members
138 posts
6,711 battles

Best advise I can offer, is to watch some Destroyer KuroshioKai Youtube videos. He goes into detail about what he is doing, why he is doing it, and what he wants to achieve when playing his DD's. Maybe you can pick up some tips from him.

• Cool 8

Members
536 posts
2,972 battles

Oh, don't say that.

Destroyers are easily the most fun class to play in world of warships. First off, pray that there are no carriers in the game. Then, follow these key tips to be a good DD player

1.  Contest capture points and drive away enemy DDs.
  2. Attack enemy battleships and cruisers whenever given the chance to do so while undetected.
  3. Harrass the enemy and give your team a chance to effectively attack .
  4. Just be a person that can effectively do their thing when called upon.

Each nation's DDs are specialized in one role or another, whether it be a harrasser role with the Russian and French DDs, ambush predators like the British and Germans, torpedo demons like the Japanese, or jack-of-all-trades like the Americans. Each nation brings it's own traits and challenges, and such is a thing to be aware of.

:SerB:

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

play pan euro and don't worry about CVs  lol.    

• Confused 1

[RST]
Beta Testers
94 posts
7,210 battles
3 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Oh, don't say that.

Destroyers are easily the most fun class to play in world of warships. First off, pray that there are no carriers in the game. Then, follow these key tips to be a good DD player

1.  Contest capture points and drive away enemy DDs.
  2. Attack enemy battleships and cruisers whenever given the chance to do so while undetected.
  3. Harrass the enemy and give your team a chance to effectively attack .
  4. Just be a person that can effectively do their thing when called upon.

Each nation's DDs are specialized in one role or another, whether it be a harrasser role with the Russian and French DDs, ambush predators like the British and Germans, torpedo demons like the Japanese, or jack-of-all-trades like the Americans. Each nation brings it's own traits and challenges, and such is a thing to be aware of.

:SerB:

^^^^^ and allow me to add:

•  know your detection values and stay invincible to the enemy as long as possible
  • If there's a CV in the game ( or worse 2!), turn off your AA unless you're spotted.  Make sure you have the aircraft spotting ring so you know what range they can spot you
  • if no CV in game and depending on spawn and IF you have it, speed boost to cap if that's your goal.  Otherwise, dont touch the cap circle and scout for your team. If you see the cap being taken, blind fire with torps and you may get lucky to force them off as they avoid
  • if you have smoke, dont use it unless you need to and if you do , DONT SIT STILL IN IT!  You'll become instant torps magnet!  I've killed many a DD firing blind into smoke with torps.  Move around in the smoke and unless enemy ships are far away, don't fire as well - I've also killed/hit enemy DD's by seeing where their shells are coming from; Same with planes - they can see your shells and guess your position
  • if you have hydro and you know enemy dd's are nearby, pop it - it'll give you extra warning of inbound torps
  • know when you're overmatched - dont' get into a gun/knife with a torp boat against a gunboat - this is where knowing the nation's dd's are strong and weak

Members
7 posts
1,152 battles
41 minutes ago, KHyena said:

Kinda hard to say what you doing wrong without see any replay yours.

So a question, what you "expect" and "try" do as a dd?

I've looked at a lot of "tips and tricks" videos. often I'll be trying to cap, spot or smoke up for the team, torping on occasion. however if I suddenly get into a gun fight I lose or can't even run and hide. and rarely if ever do I hit torpedoes. I've yet to see my damage in a dd exceed 20k, and I tend to die early when I do manage to get more damage in.

• Cool 1

[--O--]
Members
698 posts

Here is a game i just finished. I used  radio location to protect the Montana and Donsk with keeping them informed where nearest ships was, I knew it was a dd and had a good idea which by watching mini map.

Then I continued on to spot and cap while trying to keep BB's dodging and denying them ground where possible. I gave up damage farming for spotting, capping and screening. IMO this is the funnest style of play.

You have to run RPF no doubt, keep an eye on the mini-map and still try to line up shots with some chance to hit a target or force them to turn, your head is on swivel and it is just fun.

20200330_160553_PJSD598-Black-Asashio_51_Greece.wowsreplay

Members
7 posts
1,152 battles

I play largely on the IJN tech tree, I have up to T6 on both DD lines. I know that the IJN dd's are known for stealth and insane torps, so I try to focus on those aspects. however, torp prediction skills seem to be hampered, maybe bc I play CV so much and have gotten used to virtually point-blanking the things? what I have seen is that if I launch roughly 40 torps in a match, if I'm lucky I'll hit 2-3 of them. aiming at BB's, CA/CL's at generally 6km and under. 

Members
7 posts
1,152 battles
4 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

Here is a game i just finished. I used  radio location to protect the Montana and Donsk with keeping them informed where nearest ships was, I knew it was a dd and had a good idea which by watching mini map.

Then I continued on to spot and cap while trying to keep BB's dodging and denying them ground where possible. I gave up damage farming for spotting, capping and screening. IMO this is the funnest style of play.

You have to run RPF no doubt, keep an eye on the mini-map and still try to line up shots with some chance to hit a target or force them to turn, your head is on swivel and it is just fun.

20200330_160553_PJSD598-Black-Asashio_51_Greece.wowsreplay

where do I go to view wows replays? I haven't actually watched one outside of youtube videos, and it looks like it has a special file type.

Members
2,257 posts
4,933 battles

Don’t play Iike half the DDs I see in game. Where they go to contest a cap with 2 radar ships heading to it. 

• Cool 1

Members
7 posts
1,152 battles
3 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Don’t play Iike half the DDs I see in game. Where they go to contest a cap with 2 radar ships heading to it. 

how do I know specifically what ships are radar ships? I know it sounds noob-ish but it's not something I've really had to put into consideration before this thanks to the way I've played the game before this. Are there charts anywhere I can view that list the ships that come with it as a consumable? I've looked on the wiki but I feel like that barely covers most of them. (I have encountered ships that I thought didn't have radar use it.)

[LANCE]
Members
675 posts
5,280 battles
1 hour ago, Corpral_Hikimura said:

So I've been playing the game for a while now, mostly playing battleships and carriers. But I've wanted to branch out and learn the other two classes the game currently has. cruisers are easy enough, smaller, faster, less tanky battleships; but when it comes to destroyers I just can't seem to do any of it right, and I was hoping that someone might be able to help me figure it out so I could work to be a better player for the sake of my teammates.

What tier and nationality DD are you playing? As others have mentioned most have a niche/gimmick for there style of play

[SQUAD]
Members
2,063 posts
11,843 battles
57 minutes ago, Corpral_Hikimura said:

The DD is the hardest ship to play well.... they have the lowest HO of all ships and when the DD is spotted *everyone* shoots it, and of course you get nabbed by CV planes and Radar... so the odds are against you. I didn't even start trying to play DD until I had 1800 battles. I started with BBs and the CLs.... both of which can help you play DD.  Playing DD means you know the spotting distances of the opposing DDs and the radar ranges of opposing CLs. It means knowing when to hold back and when to advance. Also consider your goals... when I play DD I try to make spotting the top priority, the big guns can't shoot at what they can't see and they will always need spotting, as will CLs.... and there is the fine line of positioning well to spot, and not getting blapped.  Once spotting is considered, the opportunity to either Cap or Torp should be considered, as should your ability to  lay smoke to conceal a team mate, such as smoking a Cruiser that can then stick out from the island it hides behind... :)  while you exit the smoke to make sure there are targets spotted for them to shoot at.... consider using smoke as decoy, because people love to shoot torps into smoke, so... don't hang out *in* smoke....  if there is a CV in the battle hold back until you know where the 1st squad is and stick with your cruisers at first... again the fine line between CYA and daring to scout... the biggest mistakes I make is going in too hard to soon, and depending on teammates... when you get a good team it is a grand thing... but it is rare... here is avid I made about my Atlanta, but what it highlights is how important a DD can be is helping the team win... twice in this game, my Atlanta was able to do what it can do best, because two different DDs saw that their contribution could really make a difference... there is a lot to doing DD well... seek out a few training vids from the YouTube celebs out there...

Members
7 posts
1,152 battles
2 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

What tier and nationality DD are you playing? As others have mentioned most have a niche/gimmick for there style of play

Japanese DD's, furthest I've gotten so far is T6.

[OO7]
Members
331 posts
25,209 battles
17 hours ago, Corpral_Hikimura said:

Alright so as someone who started playing dd's out of spite and now mains them in comp for a hurricane clan, I think I can give some valuable advice here. 

1. Captain skills- I normally take in order: pm, ls, se, ce, ar. I pretty much take these on all of my non-gunboat dd's. Some may argue pt over pm but as a dd, you should always expect that you are getting shot at and you need to have your head on a swivel. You can get pt or ifa later if you so desire. Additionally, always take se. It gives you a significant amount of additional hp (dds only, never take it in a bb). I don't take rl anymore outside of comp but I would reccomend it for new dd players playing traditional dd's. 

2. Gameplay- not all dd's are the same and should be played as such. Think before you shoot, especially in dd's that have trouble disengaging (khaba, kleber, etc). One thing that really helps is knowing the minimum concealment of all dd's. Additionally you need to know both the ships that can equip radar and their radar durations. Treat every ship that can run radar as a radar ship until you know otherwise (looking at you radar mino). Even if you have to put a sticky note beside your computer, it will greatly help you. 

3. Advantages and disadvantages- So, I'll start with what's good about dd's. The concealment of your ship and alpha of your torps are your main weapons as a traditional dd. For the gun boat dds, obviously it's your guns and for a few, it's your speed. In non-CV games you can typically choose when you want and don't want to be spotted. Now, the disadvantages of dd's mostly lie in the health pool and your importance to your team. For the health pool, most dd's do not have repairs and your starting hp is all you have. Another disadvantage is your vulnerability to cv's. If a cv wants you dead, there's not much you can do that won't cripple your effectiveness. Depending on your skill level in dd's, radar can be your worst nightmare, or just a mild inconvenience. Lastly, if you make a misplay, or an enemy dd out plays you, that can singlehandly cause your team to lose. DD is all about being in the right place at the right time. 

I started playing dd because I noticed a lot of awful dd play. I figured "I could probably do better." At first I struggled but slowly I started to really enjoy the class. I hope any of these tips help you succeed in dd's. 

Edited by eagle_lance
  • Cool 4

[--O--]
Members
698 posts
18 minutes ago, Corpral_Hikimura said:

where do I go to view wows replays? I haven't actually watched one outside of youtube videos, and it looks like it has a special file type.

Click the link,,,, make sure wow's is closed first should reopen and start for you

[B_Y_F]
Members
490 posts
11,577 battles

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai can help you. 

His YouTube channel has many DD instructions vid with details of his thought process which helps a lot. You can also send him a replay so he might give you some tips and feedback. 

[SQUAD]
Members
2,063 posts
11,843 battles
18 hours ago, Corpral_Hikimura said:

how do I know specifically what ships are radar ships? I know it sounds noob-ish but it's not something I've really had to put into consideration before this thanks to the way I've played the game before this. Are there charts anywhere I can view that list the ships that come with it as a consumable? I've looked on the wiki but I feel like that barely covers most of them. (I have encountered ships that I thought didn't have radar use it.)

This game is a lot deeper than many give it credit for... knowing all the ships and their values is part of being able to play well.  You have a very low number of games, which is to say, you are in stage two of playing..

Stage One - Wow this is cool... up to around 50o battles
Stage Two - Why am I getting my butt kicked ( where you are) 400-1000
Stage three - Oh, I need more clue.. .right-right .. ok, get clue! 800-1500
Stage four - Ok.. I am getting it now, baby! 1000-1800
Stage five - Uhm, ok, maybe I need to get more clue. 1500-2000
Stage six - ok, ok.. i get it.. hard work.. much time... 2000-2500

and then somewhere beyond that it will become easier , more natural, you'll aim without looking at guides, you'll know where to aim... you won't always win, but you'll know why you lost...

work T6 and below for the 1st 1200 battles.. don't worry about getting up the tier ladder.

Edited by Elo_J_Fudpucker
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,183 posts
24,546 battles
45 minutes ago, Mustang2209 said:

^^^^^ and allow me to add:

•  know your detection values and stay invincible to the enemy as long as possible
  • If there's a CV in the game ( or worse 2!), turn off your AA unless you're spotted.  Make sure you have the aircraft spotting ring so you know what range they can spot you
  • if no CV in game and depending on spawn and IF you have it, speed boost to cap if that's your goal.  Otherwise, dont touch the cap circle and scout for your team. If you see the cap being taken, blind fire with torps and you may get lucky to force them off as they avoid
  • if you have smoke, dont use it unless you need to and if you do , DONT SIT STILL IN IT!  You'll become instant torps magnet!  I've killed many a DD firing blind into smoke with torps.  Move around in the smoke and unless enemy ships are far away, don't fire as well - I've also killed/hit enemy DD's by seeing where their shells are coming from; Same with planes - they can see your shells and guess your position
  • if you have hydro and you know enemy dd's are nearby, pop it - it'll give you extra warning of inbound torps
  • know when you're overmatched - dont' get into a gun/knife with a torp boat against a gunboat - this is where knowing the nation's dd's are strong and weak

Not only know your concealment range, but on the minimap options, turn ON the concealment range ring.  It helps a LOT to see your concealment range ring on the minimap.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
3,924 posts
13,643 battles
1 hour ago, BlindAF said:

Best advise I can offer, is to watch some Destroyer KuroshioKai Youtube videos. He goes into detail about what he is doing, why he is doing it, and what he wants to achieve when playing his DD's. Maybe you can pick up some tips from him.

:Smile_great:

To the OP, I recommend @Destroyer_KuroshioKai very highly. You can look up his videos on YouTube. He's got a teachers heart and as practical and no nonsense as I've seen anywhere else.

• Cool 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,955 posts
14,537 battles
43 minutes ago, Corpral_Hikimura said:

I've looked at a lot of "tips and tricks" videos. often I'll be trying to cap, spot or smoke up for the team, torping on occasion. however if I suddenly get into a gun fight I lose or can't even run and hide. and rarely if ever do I hit torpedoes. I've yet to see my damage in a dd exceed 20k, and I tend to die early when I do manage to get more damage in.

Well some people alread give a lot tips here, the basic is,  like cvs, pay A LOT attention on minimap and in the enemy team comp, sometimes its not good rush in one cap if they have a lot long range radar ships... about gunfight you need see what dd you going fight (its kinda hard to win a 1x1 battle in a torp dd (shima?) vs a gunboat dd (like harugumo)) ...

And about hit torps its more about experience (to look to the enemy and "imagine" what he is going do next, its kinda a play for future here)

[LANCE]
Members
675 posts
5,280 battles
9 minutes ago, Corpral_Hikimura said:

Japanese DD's, furthest I've gotten so far is T6.

You’ll see up to tier 8’s so will run into radar. At tier 7 only Atlanta, Indianapolis and Belfast have Accra to radar. At tier 8 all USN and Russian ships have it. HMS Edinburgh can have radar but generally won’t as they have to lose smoke to use it. Rule of thumb on radar is if you can spot the radar ship, his radar can spot you.

German ships have access to good hydro which can reach up to 6.5km so if they’re less than that away, don’t bother with your smoke. Plus without camo, concealment expert Captain skill you’ll be spotted anyway at that distance.

Others above have listed many of the other useful things with Captain skills. At tier 6 you should be building your Capt towards 10 points. Priority Target or Preventive Maintenance are your 1st skill. 2nd skill will be Last Stand (a DD not moving is an easy target and allows you to keep moving at a gimped rate even if engine and rudder are damaged). 3rd skill is Survivability Expert (adds 350 HP per tier so 350x6 = 2100 extra HP). 4th skill is Concealment Expert (gives an additional 10% OFF your detection range - so fully upgraded Fubuki with camo and concealment experts detection range is ~ 5.6 km before you can be seen ... unless radar is active).

As others have said, use the detection range circle on your mini map and watch the direction of the enemy ships close by to make sure they won’t get in it and spot you.

Torps take practice. I still only have a 8% hit rate (although this includes a lot of area denial torps). Learn where other DDs will hide or enter into caps (shipping lanes if you like) and send preemptive torps. You might not hit anything but you may make a ship change direction and show broadside to your team.

I play my DDs more as a team asset than a damage farming ship (unless I’m my Harugamo then I’ll spot but be a little more selfish to dmg farm). I spot keeping a close eye on detection “limits” and mark targets. Always make sure you have some “friends” with you as spotting everything for no one to shoot at it isn’t productive.

Dont rush into caps. They don’t all have to be turned in the 1st minute of the game although some of your teammates might think so. Be opportunistic. If you see a BB on the enemy team sailing in a straight line firing at one of your team mates, launch some torps at him as he’s less likely to notice your torps. Don’t fire torps at ships that are running away. They’ll likely run out distance before they hit him sometimes you get lucky and he will turn into them. Don’t always fire all your torps at once. Follow the targeting and watch if it’s moving you can then try and anticipate his next move.

I’ve tried to list some of the basics but there’s a lot more to it and a lot better players than me that can give advice (see below regarding Destroyer_KuroshioKai)

Have fun and practice, you’ll get it if the “fun police” haven’t rocketed you to death every game and put you off. Remember the “P” key is your friend when a CV is in the game. Keep AA off unless he spots you. I’m a non-CV game keep it off so you don’t give away your location shooting at a spotter plane.

Good luck mate!

3 minutes ago, sapient007 said:

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai can help you. 

His YouTube channel has many DD instructions vid with details of his thought process which helps a lot. You can also send him a replay so he might give you some tips and feedback. 

• Cool 2