You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Legacy launcher Going Away - Review of the WG Launcher

38 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,670 posts
6,334 battles

The legacy launcher is going away. The Wargaming Launcher will be the only launcher. Learn about it here.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[WORX]
Members
10,586 posts
18,482 battles

Its a good review,

Change is hard for some, WGC is not that bad...

Nozoupforyou.. Stay safe...

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
196 posts
6,119 battles

This game seems to attract a quite conservative bunch, which is no surprise given the subject matter.

Many seem to be Caren though and demanding to speak to the manager when they don't get their way.

I found the new launcher that I have been using for years far more convenient than the legacy one.

• Boring 1

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
15 minutes ago, mr_angry_eyes said:

This game seems to attract a quite conservative bunch, which is no surprise given the subject matter.

Many seem to be Caren though and demanding to speak to the manager when they don't get their way.

I found the new launcher that I have been using for years far more convenient than the legacy one.

It's not really a hard fix, just play something else. I just got the new Call of Duty and I'll probably play that once Legacy launcher is discontinued.

[KWF]
Members
4,358 posts
6,405 battles

Went with Steam Version of the game with a workaround so as to use my WG account since 2017 and never looked back.

While I appreciate the changes done to the launcher throughout the years, it's still a pass for me.

[TBW]
Members
10,276 posts
17,433 battles

We were supposed to get something for switching when the WGC first came out. I personally only use the WGC to Update the game or go to the test server. I launch the game from the EXE file which I have a shortcut to on the desktop. You don't have to start the launcher then, except for the reasons I previously stated. So if you don't like the idea of the new launcher, you don't have to use it very often. I use the EXE file to launch not because I don't like or don't trust the new launcher, I just don't want extra programs running in the background and this way I don't have to go turn it off after starting the game.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 3

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,694 posts

WGC / "the new launcher" -- if I can't figure out a way to run it isolated from the rest of my system, and to avoid torrents, I simply won't be able to continue playing WOWS.  I haven't updated WOT from the moment the old launcher stopped working for that.  

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,694 posts
3 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Weren't we supposed to get something for switching to the new launcher a couple years ago?

Those who switched got lower privacy, lower security, and more bugs. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

0 posts

Many improvements have been made to the WGC since it's original launch, the best changes I have appreciated include :

1. WGC shuts down once the client is launched "Play"
  2. WGC will download future updates using low bandwidth, which makes patch days much less frustrating for people who don't have fibreoptic internet
  3. We can now choose between direct download and torrents, and we can set the amount of bandwidth applied to torrent sharing (uploads)
  4. Swapping between accounts, servers and games is much easier

if the original WGC was not very good, most, if not all, issues I had with it have been resolved.

But, that being said, why not allow those who want to continue with a standalone client, do so? 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,694 posts
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:
  1. We can now choose between direct download and torrents, and we can set the amount of bandwidth applied to torrent sharing (uploads)

Want to be VERY careful on this one -- does it only allow the user to seed or not seed torrents... or does it actually allow the user to forgo torrents entirely?  

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

0 posts
2 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Want to be VERY careful on this one -- does it only allow the user to seed or not seed torrents... or does it actually allow the user to forgo torrents entirely?  

image.png.6e15ca5689b6363fd658af07c43a6916.pngAucun envoi = zero upload

as you can seen, there is also a very useful calendar to set acceptable download times for future updates image.png.cc6a8dae058ca2f934766fc8a9888f97.png

[TBW]
Members
10,276 posts
17,433 battles
1 minute ago, LoveBote said:

image.png.6e15ca5689b6363fd658af07c43a6916.pngAucun envoi = zero upload

as you can seen, there is also a very useful calendar to set acceptable download times for future updates image.png.cc6a8dae058ca2f934766fc8a9888f97.png

It's all French to me.

• Funny 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,694 posts
1 hour ago, NoZoupForYou said:

The legacy launcher is going away. The Wargaming Launcher will be the only launcher. Learn about it here.

WGC is a giant bundle of quote-unquote "features" that I have no use or need for, all to get the one and only function I use the old launcher for -- the updates.   There is literally nothing in your review that I want or need any software I use to ever do for me.  

The old launcher is 100% functional and does everything I need done. 

Although honestly, if I could, I'd rather just manually download the updates, all download managers are useless bloatware really.  

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

0 posts
9 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I don't read or speak French.  Is that actually a reply to my question?  

10 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It's all French to me.

image.thumb.png.fe9215b34ad4fd305d97a60a26e7dfec.pngimage.png.ebdb4787df5b89d98e652b653fd61a2e.pngimage.png.800efbcd356018eff6932bf6151a0556.png

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,694 posts
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Aucun envoi = zero upload

Well, if we're guessing, that means that the setting doesn't eliminate torrents, it only eliminates seeding for torrents.  

Sorry, but forced use of torrents is a non-starter. 

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
12 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Although honestly, if I could, I'd rather just manually download the updates, all download managers are useless bloatware really.  

If you figure out how to manually download the updates, can you tell me how? :Smile-_tongue:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,694 posts
Just now, JackSparrow_665 said:

If you figure out how to manually download the updates, can you tell me how? :Smile-_tongue:

I doubt I ever will, gaming companies and really all software companies are fixated on the idea of getting their crappy useless bloatware "download managers" on all our computers.  

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
2 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I doubt I ever will, gaming companies and really all software companies are fixated on the idea of getting their crappy useless bloatware "download managers" on all our computers.  

I figured as much. That being said, it would nice if Wargaming gave us the option to manually update our launchers.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,694 posts
21 minutes ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

I figured as much. That being said, it would nice if Wargaming gave us the option to manually update our launchers.

It would be very nice if they gave us the option to forgo the launchers entirely and just download the updates for the game. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 2

Alpha Tester
4,287 posts
6,522 battles
7 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Well, if we're guessing, that means that the setting doesn't eliminate torrents, it only eliminates seeding for torrents.  

Sorry, but forced use of torrents is a non-starter. 

What's with the huge hatred of torrents? Does your ISP throttle them? 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,694 posts
2 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

What's with the huge hatred of torrents? Does your ISP throttle them? 

I've  too many articles about how the dispersed seeding could be compromised (and in a few cases has been).

Alpha Tester
4,287 posts
6,522 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

I've  too many articles about how the dispersed seeding could be compromised (and in a few cases has been).

I am pretty certain that is impossible- torrent protocols use checksums(typically SHA-1 hash) to confirm chunk and file integrity, and those are centrally distributed. Torrent protocol can be used to do some squirrely DDOS things to unrelated third parties, but so can many protocols. The danger is in downloading an evil torrent file that torrents malware, but that's the same risk as downloading a file normally that contains malware. If you think WG is going to download malware onto your system deliberately, you should probably not trust old manager or even WG publishing the game files via HTTP download.

[SALVO]
Members
4,321 posts
3,749 battles

I really don't see what's the fuzz about the launcher, I've been using it since I came back to the game and literally all it takes is just seconds (the time you take to press Play). Also don't know why the fear of torrents, I've been using torrents for at least 15-20 years, never got anything I didn't want. Seriously, this is the dumbest reason to drop a game I've ever read.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,694 posts
2 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

I am pretty certain that is impossible- torrent protocols use checksums (typically SHA-1 hash) to confirm chunk and file integrity, and those are centrally distributed. Torrent protocol can be used to do some squirrely DDOS things to unrelated third parties, but so can many protocols. The danger is in downloading an evil torrent file that torrents malware, but that's the same risk as downloading a file normally that contains malware. If you think WG is going to download malware onto your system deliberately, you should probably not trust old manager or even WG publishing the game files via HTTP download.

All see if I can find the articles, it involved malware on a computer serving the torrent doing something unhealthy to it, and gave a couple examples. 

More broadly, any company using torrents on customers' computers to serve updates to their customers is engaged is basically shoving costs off onto the users, and I'm just going to object to that in general even without the potential risks. 

As for HTTP... I've been downloading files since it required an FTP client.