You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hans_Mo1eman

I wanna like this game...

33 comments in this topic

[IGL]
Members
48 posts
3,169 battles

Does it get better? I just got into it this game again week after starting an account 2 years ago and quitting after a week or so that time as well. I am at tier 4 now with 3 different lines of BB and ca.

The ships look nice and the battles are cool when I watch cc YouTube content. But when I play its repeatedly the same crap: airplanes torpedo the hell out of my BB and cruisers if leave the cover of my allies. DDs control the map and make going into island dense areas pure suicide until later in the game so I feel there is very little I can do except go wherever my team is going and hope they dont all die to enemy DD torp in the first 2 minutes before I get there. It makes the game very annoying to try and play.

I have to admit I had a glimmer of hope once I got t4 cruiser Pheonix cause it is actually able to dodge airplanes better and fight DDs a lot easier than any of my other ships. Is the point of the lower tiers that BB is just bait for destroyers and CVs to gobble up? Is the game this bad at higher tiers too? 

I tried the coop battle but I think that actually made me a worse player cuz the bots are so terrible and easy to kill and drive in straight lines which are easy to hit and have no sense of strategy. So then next time I play a random battle I've got all these bad habits and a misunderstanding of what my ship can do. 

Point is that I want to know what I'm missing here. I want to like this game. I really dont expect to be good or to win a lot because I know I'm new. Ive invested time to watch cc videos on aiming and positioning and that has helped me improve a bit but the game is still super annoying most of the time. I dont care if my ship gets blown to a million pieces I just want the chance to try and fight another ship at some point before that happens- right now all I get to fight is airplanes and smoke clouds shooting torpedoes. 

Any advice? Because I dont see myself keeping on with this game if t5 isn't way better than t4 has been. Maybe I just have bad ships? Russian and UK BBs and USA and Pizza cruisers.

[WORX]
Members
12,659 posts
19,907 battles
1 hour ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

Does it get better? I just got into it this game again week after starting an account 2 years ago and quitting after a week or so that time as well. I am at tier 4 now with 3 different lines of BB and ca.

The ships look nice and the battles are cool when I watch cc YouTube content. But when I play its repeatedly the same crap: airplanes torpedo the hell out of my BB and cruisers if leave the cover of my allies. DDs control the map and make going into island dense areas pure suicide until later in the game so I feel there is very little I can do except go wherever my team is going and hope they dont all die to enemy DD torp in the first 2 minutes before I get there. It makes the game very annoying to try and play.

I have to admit I had a glimmer of hope once I got t4 cruiser Pheonix cause it is actually able to dodge airplanes better and fight DDs a lot easier than any of my other ships. Is the point of the lower tiers that BB is just bait for destroyers and CVs to gobble up? Is the game this bad at higher tiers too? 

I tried the coop battle but I think that actually made me a worse player cuz the bots are so terrible and easy to kill and drive in straight lines which are easy to hit and have no sense of strategy. So then next time I play a random battle I've got all these bad habits and a misunderstanding of what my ship can do. 

Point is that I want to know what I'm missing here. I want to like this game. I really dont expect to be good or to win a lot because I know I'm new. Ive invested time to watch cc videos on aiming and positioning and that has helped me improve a bit but the game is still super annoying most of the time. I dont care if my ship gets blown to a million pieces I just want the chance to try and fight another ship at some point before that happens- right now all I get to fight is airplanes and smoke clouds shooting torpedoes. 

Any advice? Because I dont see myself keeping on with this game if t5 isn't way better than t4 has been. Maybe I just have bad ships? Russian and UK BBs and USA and Pizza cruisers.

If you choose to stay,

• Play anything guns
    • That means, torp DDs are a niche play style on the fringe of being elimanated as a viable threat.. 
  • Cruisers are good from tier 4 to 6
    • Tier 7 and your guns become useless against tier 9 ships...
  • BBs are kings of the game at high tiers...
    • That means no matter what tier BB you play... What ever you learn is still valid at high tiers... 
      • Knowing this, BB guns become OP/disproportionate at high tiers... So your efforts are minimal at mid and low tiers, using the same effort at high tiers, you'll be rewarded greatly.

In the end, if you decide  to do what Kenny Rogers suggests... God speed and GL with your new MMO game.,

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
766 posts
7,220 battles

@Hapa_Fodder please see above as more concern from new players frustrated by low tier CV interaction. 

Hans it will get better though every tier has its learning curve. As you progress you will see uptiering at times and differences in skill between sides will be frustrating too. However if you enjoy the game you might want to tough it out. Eventually there are caps on number of CV and ship AA gets better. 

• Boring 1

[-VT-]
Members
804 posts
35,867 battles

You are playing too fast.   Seriously, you are.

Let the smaller ships do their job and scout for you.  That means you let them get ahead of you.

Watch  the bloody mini map.  Make it as large as you can stand and watch it.  50% or more of your time should be spent watching that map and seeing how the overall battle is developing.

This is not an RTS.  This is more like chess.  Slow down and pay attention.

It’s a common issue with folks new to the game to attack this game like others they have played.  Well, don’t.  Stick your nose out too far too soon and you will get it shot/torped off.

[WORX]
Members
12,659 posts
19,907 battles
Just now, Capn_Nugget said:

please see above as more concern from new players frustrated by low tier CV interaction. 

Changes are coming next patch... :Smile_izmena:

Its a band-aid then a solution.

• Cool 1

Members
1,918 posts
27,840 battles

@Hans_Mo1eman

Watching only unicoms (cc) play will leave a bad taste in your mouth. They're adept at aiming, have played the maps and ships often, and often have division mates of similar experience, thus influencing up to one quarter of their team. If you watch them, then kick up a random expecting such success, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Just play the game using different styles (aggressive, passive, suicidal, etc.) for 1) variety and 2) satisfactory experience.

Edited by theLaalaa

[PVE]
Members
5,108 posts
22,629 battles

Ah, the age old video game problem:  learning curve does not match the sales pitch and your expectations....!   We have all been there.  And, it gets a lot worse;.......not better for a while.  In PvP there is Radar and Planes and soon Subs.... 

I stay because I'm curious about video game chronology and evolution:  when and how do good video games survive the video game aging cycle...... 

Advice: small tasks and small personal goals.  The learning curve is too large to try to take on all at once.  Take a ship line, from any Country and master it to the point you are comfortable in PvP matches.  I don't play PvP anymore because of Radar and Planes.  But, you might find that a challenge......  Some do, most don't and have either left, retired to other games or, like me, play COOP and scenarios.

@Hapa_Fodder as said above ^^^.   Had a friend of mine (I met when he was buying doubloon cards at GS) ask the same question the other day?  We're losing more than we are gaining and once they hit Tier 5, if the CV's don't cause them to quit before then, they run into Radar when Tier 7 ships invade.........and that, except for a small number of them, is the end of the trip.........  It's still why I don't play Randoms and very few Ranked.  

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,586 posts
15,113 battles

Aloha,

So firstly, understand that World of Warships is a bit slower than a lot of other games. Slower how? In terms of actual action, at least in the beginning. And also, because if you try to hurry to the fight, you'll tend to end your own fight fairly fast.

Strat's that work well, stick together in groups, don't push up and out from the team alone. At the lower tiers it is better to keep your throttle all the way open and use constant course changes than too park or revers to stay with the group.

With cruisers, stay at range, at least till mid to late game so that more of the enemy can be spotted and you can tell how they are spread out. Let the BB's stay out in front of you and tank for you.

FOCUS FIRE (meaning shoot at targets your team mates are shooting), though I understand that this is like herding cats sometimes, it is very important.

Try to find a clan (see the recruiting tab in these forums), or friends to division up with, playing in a division, coordinating a fight in voice comms and focus firing can make World of Warships a COMPLETELY different game. (I cannot emphasize that enough)

And lastly, if you ever need help or assistance learning game mechanics, feel free to PM me in game, we can division up and I can run a few battles with you.

The game is ever changing and we do have some changes to match making coming, specifically to start limiting the amount of multiple CV's in matches, hopefully this will be a quality of life improvement.

You are doing the right thing though, by asking questions!

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Boring 1

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,745 posts
12,636 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

If you choose to stay,

• Play anything guns
    • That means, torp DDs are a niche play style on the fringe of being elimanated as a viable threat.. 
    • That means no matter what tier BB you play... What ever you learn is still valid at high tiers... 
      • Knowing this, BB guns become OP/disproportionate at high tiers... So your efforts are minimal at mid and low tiers, using the same effort at high tiers, you'll be rewarded greatly.

In the end, if you decide  to do what Kenny Rogers suggests... God speed and GL with your new MMO game.,

Pfft... DDs are not a threat.. see ya out there.  I'm going eat ya.

But CV planes is keeping my brother from even playing so.

[WORX]
Members
12,659 posts
19,907 battles
1 minute ago, Nachoo31 said:

DDs are not a threat.. see ya out there.  I'm going eat ya.

Torp DDs, just going with the gravitational pull or trend is leading... Its not torps...

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

CVs will always wreck your day in low-mid tiers. Everyone knows that it's easy to farm all the nubs down there so they're all doing it. You can expect 2-3 CVs per side, and you can also expect WG to do absolutely nothing about it.

[IGL]
Members
48 posts
3,169 battles

Thank you Hapa and everyone for the replies. I will look into the clan recruitment section. I appreciate the advice: To clarify my main problem is the saturation of aircraft. I've really learned from my positioning to try and stay at longer ranges, angle my ship and I will time the enemy shots to allow me to swivel, fire the aft guns then angle again. The problem is that while I'm trying to do these things and fight other ships I'm getting relentlessly pummeled by planes: fire, fire, flood, flood and Bye Bye BB. When I notice my team is dead or relocating I try getting undetectable by using my mini map circles but the planes quickly find me and I cannot escape. Enemy ships have no need to even engage me at that point. 

It's not usually the early game- there was only one or two games where I got nuked by CV before even firing my guns. It's later in the game after about 5 minutes when half of each team is gone and both teams are clustered around the CVs in their own cap and the destroyers are sneaking around the island clusters. 

Should I just be guarding my CV at that point and have him spot for me? because going anywhere else on the map seems to be certain death from the sky. 

I understand there is a learning curve I need to accept and that's fine, every PVP game is tough at first. I learned quickly to respect sneaky DDs in close range for example and to be very careful about who and when I show broadside. I expect at the start of each map that I'll just do my best. I just feel that I still have no idea what I'm doing wrong when it comes to dealing with CVs? It just feels like the planes are relentless, If i dodge one or two attacks good for me for the next 20 seconds but there will be more and more and more to come no matter what I do. Like some people mentioned maybe I'm asking for it by getting spotted out of position? I will review how aggressive I'm being, that might be the problem. 

Again thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm glad to hear BBs are viable at higher tiers cuz them seem like slow hp pinata at low tiers. I will continue with cruisers since they seem to be the most versatile and I can see that DD play is probably the most tricky to master (like light tanks in wot). Hapa I will send you a message in game if I need more help.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,495 posts
22,925 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

If you choose to stay,

• Play anything guns

Tier 7 are not useless vs tier 9 ships.

152mm use IFHE.

Use he and burn them down.

Fire AP at broadsides upper belt and superstructure. 

[WORX]
Members
12,659 posts
19,907 battles
4 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Tier 7 are not useless vs tier 9 ships.

152mm use IFHE. 

Use he and burn them down.

Fire AP at broadsides upper belt and superstructure. 

The same can't be said about 127MM and below... Which at current state, are useless against +2MM restriction.

[LANCE]
Members
876 posts
6,580 battles
6 minutes ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

Thank you Hapa and everyone for the replies. I will look into the clan recruitment section. I appreciate the advice: To clarify my main problem is the saturation of aircraft. I've really learned from my positioning to try and stay at longer ranges, angle my ship and I will time the enemy shots to allow me to swivel, fire the aft guns then angle again. The problem is that while I'm trying to do these things and fight other ships I'm getting relentlessly pummeled by planes: fire, fire, flood, flood and Bye Bye BB. When I notice my team is dead or relocating I try getting undetectable by using my mini map circles but the planes quickly find me and I cannot escape. Enemy ships have no need to even engage me at that point. 

It's not usually the early game- there was only one or two games where I got nuked by CV before even firing my guns. It's later in the game after about 5 minutes when half of each team is gone and both teams are clustered around the CVs in their own cap and the destroyers are sneaking around the island clusters. 

Should I just be guarding my CV at that point and have him spot for me? because going anywhere else on the map seems to be certain death from the sky. 

I understand there is a learning curve I need to accept and that's fine, every PVP game is tough at first. I learned quickly to respect sneaky DDs in close range for example and to be very careful about who and when I show broadside. I expect at the start of each map that I'll just do my best. I just feel that I still have no idea what I'm doing wrong when it comes to dealing with CVs? It just feels like the planes are relentless, If i dodge one or two attacks good for me for the next 20 seconds but there will be more and more and more to come no matter what I do. Like some people mentioned maybe I'm asking for it by getting spotted out of position? I will review how aggressive I'm being, that might be the problem. 

Again thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'm glad to hear BBs are viable at higher tiers cuz them seem like slow hp pinata at low tiers. I will continue with cruisers since they seem to be the most versatile and I can see that DD play is probably the most tricky to master (like light tanks in wot). Hapa I will send you a message in game if I need more help.

Sounds like you’re off to a good start mate and good to see you in the forums!

iChase does some good YouTube “How to .. “ videos and explains a lot of different topics of questions you may have.

Low tiers are sometimes testing. You can get that thought of “If I had a bigger ship (higher tier) I’lol probably so better.”. Don’t be tempted though and take your time.

The lower tier ships have little to no AA so shooting down planes can be tough. If you see torp bombers coming at you from the side, try turning into them which makes it a little easier to dodge. It’s a double edged sword though as this may leave you broadside to an enemy ship.

The WoWs wiki page has  a lot of info in regards to modules, Captain skills and signals/flags. This will be helpful to you if not now, I’m later tiers.

If you see smoke in front of you it’s fair to assume you’ll see torps coming. If you’re being fired at from the smoke don’t be worried about blind firing into the smoke where you see the shells coming from. You may get lucky and hit the ship. It’s a bit hit and miss but sometimes will frighten a “newer” DD player out of his smoke.

Dont move in a straight time for long periods of time as most newer DD players rely on the torp aim line. Adjusting throttle and direction help “throw” their aim off. Being hit on the broadside is usually better than being hit in the nose of stern of your ship as you have torpedo bulges which stop (most) flooding and reduce the max damage a torp can do.

Make yourself a training room and add “non armed/non moving” bots that you can practice shooting at. You’ll find the sweet spots on each ship you’re normally playing against. You can also look in port at the armor layout of each ship by selecting the ship and then top right where it lists all the ship stats clicking on armor layout. If you mouse over the ship it’ll show you the armor thickness in each spot.

Take Happa up on his offer. It’s really helpful when beginning to talk with someone who knows the gameplay.

If you have a little money to spend on the game, invest in some premium time as this will help with credits and xp helping you speed up the upgrade your ship from stock.

If you have the credits, use the premium damage control party. It makes it available quicker so you’re able to stop the floods ands fires quicker. Don’t put out one fire if someone is setting you on fire each salvo. With a flag (not sure which off the top of my head) you can lessen the burn time and allow you to disengage.

Hope this helps you somewhat mate. It’s a good game even if frustrating at times. Visit us here on the forums. There are some really helpful players here (some trolls but it’s the internet and you’ll see them on any forum!!).

Good luck mate!

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
17,600 battles

I've been playing since open Beta so I can give you an honest answer: NO!

As time goes on the developers at WG continue to dumb down the game and add more HE spam, radar and gimmicks. Even the lower tiers that used to be fun now have 2 CVs per side which render your concealment totally useless.  They will attack low tier ships that have no or little AA defense. Nothing like being rocketed and torped non-stop by planes that never run out and fly at mach2 .  As you reach mid to higher tiers the game turns into smoke and HE spam. The most common way of being destroyed these days is being burned to oblivion by cruisers you can't see. 

That's WOWS in a nutshell. 

Edited by STINKWEED_

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,495 posts
22,925 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

The same can't be said about 127MM and below... Which at current state, are useless against +2MM restriction.

Permanent fires my man.

Ap on superstructure and nose.

[WORX]
Members
12,659 posts
19,907 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Permanent fires my man.

Ap on superstructure and nose.

I have a better shot in Las Vegas in quarantine...

• Boring 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,495 posts
22,925 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

I have a better shot in Las Vegas in quarantine...

If your playing 127 mm guns. 

Then you should understand how strong their AP is on certain areas of ships.

The ROF will land fires....

If you can't play 127 mm gunboats effective. then stop playing those ships.

[SALVO]
Members
7,077 posts
5,542 battles
4 hours ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

Does it get better?

It depends on what you expect from the game. 

It is challenging, it has a long learning curve with lots of stuff to learn, it is in constant flux, there's not "one way" to success, you have to deal with random people in your team. It can be frustrating but it also can be a lot of fun. If it gets better or not depends entirely on you, on what you get fun from and what expectations you bring to the game.

Welcome aboard, hope you find fun in your travels.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
12,659 posts
19,907 battles
11 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

If your playing 127 mm guns. 

Then you should understand how strong their AP is on certain areas of ships.

The ROF will land fires....

If you can't play 127 mm gunboats effective. then stop playing those ships.

That is not the point... Everyone will adapt and over come...

The issue, 127MM and below caliber guns are useless against +2MM restrictions...

• The disproportional trend is when you need higher caliber guns to even make a dent at certain ships...
    • What is the point of +2MM restriction if your guns are useless against the said restriction, of course people are going to gravitate to bigger guns..
      • The down side to this is, less variety in battle...

What is the point of HROF if your armor is sub par (127MM and below ships did had armor nerf also, its no longer one armor thresh hold representing a specific tier). 

WOWS will adapt, I dont think people will like the end of that adaptation process.

Edited by Navalpride33

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,893 posts
25,782 battles

Are you guys talking Randoms?  Or Co-op?  Because the bot CVs in Co-op can't hit sh*t.  And this thread is in the PVE subforum.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,182 battles
2 hours ago, Vector03 said:

CVs will always wreck your day in every tiers. Everyone knows that it's easy to farm all the nubs down there so they're all doing it. You can expect 2-3 CVs per side, and you can also expect WG to do absolutely nothing about it.

fixed it for you

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Members
1 post
8,553 battles
5 hours ago, Hans_Mo1eman said:

Any advice? Because I dont see myself keeping on with this game if t5 isn't way better than t4 has been.

Try to find something you enjoy about the game, and then just play it to have fun.  When it stops being fun . . . quit.  Don't stay with it after that point (like I did) because it will just frustrate and anger you.

[LANCE]
Members
876 posts
6,580 battles
24 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Are you guys talking Randoms?  Or Co-op?  Because the bot CVs in Co-op can't hit sh*t.  And this thread is in the PVE subforum.

I think the OP just picked the wrong section as he talks about practicing in Co-op but playing randoms. That’s how I read anyway mate.