Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wildcat18

Tier 4 and 5 question

16 comments in this topic

Members
360 posts

If I am reading wiki right, tier 4 will battle against tier 4/5 and tier 5 battles tier 4/5/6. Is that pretty much across the board or is there exceptions for any tier 4 or tier 5 ship? Thank you in advance for any answers.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,683 posts
9,534 battles
16 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

If I am reading wiki right, tier 4 will battle against tier 4/5 and tier 5 battles tier 4/5/6. Is that pretty much across the board or is there exceptions for any tier 4 or tier 5 ship? Thank you in advance for any answers.

All ships have the same MM as every other ship at their tier, with the exception of CVs, who are always matched with a CV regardless of queue times, and hard and soft limits on the number of each type of ship in battle. +\-2 matchmaking is normal at higher tiers, low tiers have different rules. Each tier can see the following ships, although not necessarily in the same battle as the MM rules apply to every ship in the battle.

Tier 1: 1

Tier 2: 2-3

Tier 3: 2-4

Tier 4: 3-5

Tier 5: 4-7

Tier 6: 5-8

Tier 7: 5-9

Tier 8: 6-10

Tier 9: 7-10

Tier 10: 8-10

The exception to these rules are “fail divisions,” in which ships of different tiers division together (the game allows 1 tier difference). In this case, MM treats the entire division as the same tier as the highest tier ship. For example, if I division in my IV Clemson with a V New York, I am subject to tier 5 MM and can be put in a tier VII battle. Similarly, I will never encounter tier 3 ships when part of this division.

Edited by Nevermore135

Members
360 posts
12 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

All ships have the same MM as every other ship at their tier, with the exception of CVs, who are always matched with a CV regardless of queue times, and hard and soft limits on the number of each type of ship in battle. +\-2 matchmaking is normal at higher tiers, low tiers have different rules. Each tier can see the following ships, although not necessarily in the same battle as the MM rules apply to every ship in the battle.

The exception to these rules are “fail divisions,” in which ships of different tiers division together (the game allows 1 tier difference). In this case, MM treats the entire division as the same tier as the highest tier ship. For example, if I division in my IV Clemson with a V New York, I am subject to tier 5 MM and can be put in a tier VII battle. Similarly, I will never encounter tier 3 ships when part of this division.

Do you know of any tier 5 exceptions?

[WORX]
Members
10,759 posts
18,591 battles
33 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

9 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

For this ^^^^ head here

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics_(WoWS)

Edited by Navalpride33

[WOLFC]
Members
1,683 posts
9,534 battles
8 minutes ago, wildcat18 said:

23 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

All ships have the same MM as every other ship at their tier, with the exception of CVs, who are always matched with a CV regardless of queue times, and hard and soft limits on the number of each type of ship in battle.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,083 posts
8,939 battles

I believe the Tier IV Imperator Nikolai I can face Tier VI ships.....

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

I do believe there is an exception for the T2 IJN Mikasa BB as well as to the Nikolai I. It is a rare occasion for me to see either ship in battle.

[HINON]
Members
13,282 posts
1 hour ago, DJC_499 said:

It once did before WG standardized everything. It no longer does.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,359 battles
2 hours ago, wildcat18 said:

Tier 4 can see Tier 3 through 5, either as 3-4 or 4-5; Tier 5 can see Tier 4 through 7, but normally it will either see 5/4 OR [5-6 or 5-6-7] and not both (unless there are fail-divs).

In a battle without divisions, you will never see a 4-5-6 spread or a 3-4-5 spread because Tier 4 is protected against Tier 6 and Tier 3 against Tier 5.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF5]
Members
1,083 posts
8,939 battles
37 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Thanks for this clarification. I do not (sadly) have this ship......

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,556 posts
11,753 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

It's only a failed division if the team loses.

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,591 posts
19,651 battles
3 hours ago, DJC_499 said:

No.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,106 posts
23,865 battles
4 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

I still remember seeing @LittleWhiteMouse long ago testing Imperator Nikolai I in Randoms, Solomon Islands map to see if that OP ship did get the MM protection it so badly needed :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,045 posts
10,103 battles
17 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I still remember seeing @LittleWhiteMouse long ago testing Imperator Nikolai I in Randoms, Solomon Islands map to see if that OP ship did get the MM protection it so badly needed :Smile_teethhappy:

dd0.jpg

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Funny 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

tiers 4 n 5 are ugly right now with CV's... check that you are running a ship with AA if you can

Sign in to follow this