You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hyperion728

Swedish IFHE

4 comments in this topic

[KWA]
Members
183 posts
18,295 battles

Yes I read the LWM thing but I still can't make up my mind.  I have Skane - I like her.  I'm about to get my 14th pt for my (eventual) Halland captain and I'm trying to make a build that won't have to be respec'd when I get to tier X; even if that's not optimal between now and then.

The 120's on here seem to be...fine for VII but I'm dreading taking them into higher tier matches.  But then again, her range sucks anyways so why am I trying to put sprinkles on a poop?  Thought about some AFT to get me past radar range (I can engage on my terms (ideally lol)), but shot it down for the sprinkles reason.  So now I'm thinking of basically an IJN torp build.  Thoughts?  Thanks ahead.

edit: spelling

Edited by Hyperion728

Members
709 posts
5,735 battles

Here's my thoughts on it:  First, these seem to me to be very much torp-first boats; the guns are (IMO) not good enough to invest too many points into.  At 2x2 with a 3.2s reload base and bad rotation, just no.  If they were more like Friesland with a sub-2s reload and better rotation, maybe.  Second, these boats seem like they need about a 25-point captain to get all the skills they need.  So I suppose you could drop 4 points into IFHE but for me the return on the investment just isn't worth it.  I am focusing on survivability and torps in my build for this line.

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,633 posts
22,448 battles
31 minutes ago, Hyperion728 said:

Yes I read the LWM thing but I still can't make up my mind.  I have Skane - I like her.  I'm about to get my 14th pt for my (eventual) Halland captain and I'm trying to make a build that won't have to be respec'd when I get to tier X; even if that's not optimal between now and then.

The 120's on here seem to be...fine for VII but I'm dreading taking them into higher tier matches.  But then again, her range sucks anyways so why am I trying to put sprinkles on a poop?  Thought about some AFT to get me past radar range (I can engage on my terms (ideally lol)), but shot it down for the sprinkles reason.  So now I'm thinking of basically an IJN torp build.  Thoughts?  Thanks ahead.

edit: spelling

Your ROI on IFHE isn't worth it. Neither is AFT.

IFHE cripples your fire chance and you don't pass enough armor breakpoints to make it worth it. 

As far as AFT: Keep in mind DD shells tend to be floaty AF at max range and European DDs are no exception. AFT is a double-edged sword; you're going to have a hard time consistently hitting DDs and cruisers at max range, and even BBs if they're doing anything other than sailing straight. So you're sinking 4 points into a skill that is *extremely situational*, and has a massive semi-hidden nerf thanks to gun bloom. See, you cannot open-water stealth fire at all anymore. You are auto-spotted by any ship in range if they have LOS on you when you fire. So, if you have a range of 10km, and you open fire on a DD 9km away...yes, you might sink the DD right away, but the cruiser 9.5 km away also has a lock on you now. Now, let's say AFT gives you a 12km range. You spot a low-hp ship and kill it at close range. But now, anything within 12km of you spots you so even once you kill the nearby ship, you're spotted for the full 20 second penalty period. 

Because of this, I don't run AFT on most DDs now. I don't even always do the tech tree range upgrade modules. It's a balancing act; do you gain enough by adding range to make it worth the fact that you are visible from much farther away when you do open fire? By keeping my gun range low, I can pop out of stealth to finish off a red ship and often go dark right away. The longer my range is, the higher the chance that another red ship is close enough to hard-spot me until the end of the 20-second gun bloom penalty, which means I take a lot more fire. I generally only build for maximum range on Russian and some French DDs. 

Focus on torpedo, DPM. and survivability upgrades. CE, super for the extra heal and speed boost, torpedo reload expert, survivability expert, etc. These are torpboats that have enough gun power to hunt other DDs and control/deny caps. They aren't run-and-gun boats (Smaland can be if you build her right, but still not her ideal role) so don't build them like one. 

• Cool 2

[IMP]
[IMP]
Alpha Tester
307 posts
12,885 battles

Nice answers, Thanks you