Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
winalden

How do i get better?

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,497
[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

How much do you typically use AP shells with Queen Elizabeth?

Because unlike the stereotype for the British Battleships the Queen Elizabeth has phenomenal AP shells. As does the Warspite, HMS Hood, and  Duke of York. Which is nice since most Battleships your main ammo should be AP shells except on rare occasions such as when a Destroyer is likely to appear near you, but even then AP shells are not that bad to use if that’s what you have loaded to use on a DD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,955
[RLGN]
Members
14,253 posts
25,096 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

but even then AP shells are not that bad to use if that’s what you have loaded to use on a DD.

lol

Recently; one of the few times my shells all flew straight, instead of off to never never land; all those 1-isk k overpens absolutely crushed a destroyer. Quite amusing to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,666
[PVE]
Members
6,127 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, winalden said:

I just took part in this match and would like to know how I can improve my play.

All suggestions are accepted.

20200330_000404_PBSB106-Queen-Elizabeth_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

I suck at linking but I can tag people & @Lord_Zath has a place for submitting replays & will give it a look-see & evaluation for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,630
[SALVO]
Members
4,336 posts
3,773 battles
1 hour ago, winalden said:

I just took part in this match and would like to know how I can improve my play.

Welcome to the Forums, you did your first step in improving already.

You have enough battles now to know the basics. Be sure your theory is strong in the basic concepts and mechanics of the game, there are a lot of useful guides around.

On the particular issue of your replay, your first mistake was using your damage control too early, you end up taking extra fire damage and later extra flood damage. If possible wait until de planes are gone and you are in no risk of being lighted again. 

Second mistake, you are bottom tier in a double CV match, you are basically an XP piñata. Once you see those planes coming at you, you should try to make yourself scarce. By the time you see the torp bombers coming, you should know you are being focused, change your course, try to make the CV waste time looking for you, maybe he'll forget and go pester someone else.

Third mistake, bad positioning. Even after being torped, you kept your frontal charge at the enemy line. I know you are playing a brit ship but you are not under any obligation to perform a redition of the Charge of the light Brigade. Next time try to retreat, use your magnificent heal and then come back to the fight.

Cheers

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,893
[O_O]
Members
6,428 posts
15,316 battles
6 hours ago, winalden said:

I just took part in this match and would like to know how I can improve my play.

All suggestions are accepted.

20200330_000404_PBSB106-Queen-Elizabeth_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

Arlskandir already gave you a detailed critique (+1 to him for that), and I don't have anything to add to what he said.

BUT, kudos to you for admitting your game play is all you and seeking advice on how to improve (+1 to you, as well)!  And, you provided a replay to assist others to critique.  Well done!  :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,571
[1984]
Members
4,121 posts
19,852 battles
6 hours ago, winalden said:

I just took part in this match and would like to know how I can improve my play.

All suggestions are accepted.

20200330_000404_PBSB106-Queen-Elizabeth_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

i would start by grinding up all the lines without using fxp to go up fast. you learn a lot along the way. install the official modpack, especially a dynamic scope, score timer, and the angle mod. watch some streamers like ichase, notser, flamu, flambass. then practice, practice, practice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,412
[WOLFG]
Members
28,908 posts
8,162 battles
1 hour ago, John_Crace said:

angry upvote. insteresting. learn from the players with bad stats?

I didn't do it, but if you're not a good player, dividing your attention is maybe not the best idea.

Better IMO to div up with a decent player, and watch a nearby player, rather than someone who could be on the other side of the map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,684
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,869 posts
17,911 battles

I have a general suggestion.  After each match, ask yourself.  "What worked"?  "What didn't work"?  In the early stages of the game, you'll run into the latter much more than the former.  Then, ask yourself what you could have done differently that would have helped.  

For example, I got torp'd a lot in my early days.  Now, torps seldom (I still get caught out on occasion) catch me off guard.  Over many games, I've learned how to work against DDs.  Know their strengths and weaknesses.  And can use that to my advantage.  Although you can get some of that information by reading or taking guidance herein, there is no substitute for the raw in-game experience.

WOWS is about getting incrementally better over time...as one's experience grows.  Like anything else in life, experience usually makes one better...more confident...more effective.  Over time  (for me, about three years of daily play!!!!) you begin to write your own rules of how to play..and eventually enter the nirvana zone  at four to five years of play.  Bottom tier...top tier.  CV, DD, BB, or CA...bring it.

That said, I still potato here and there...lol.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[B-Z]
Members
156 posts
21,995 battles
54 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I didn't do it, but if you're not a good player, dividing your attention is maybe not the best idea.

Better IMO to div up with a decent player, and watch a nearby player, rather than someone who could be on the other side of the map.

Nah you watch the players left after you're dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,412
[WOLFG]
Members
28,908 posts
8,162 battles
3 minutes ago, John_Crace said:

Nah you watch the players left after you're dead.

Of course! Dunno why that never occurred to me lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,159
[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,905 posts
20,764 battles
17 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I suck at linking but I can tag people & @Lord_Zath has a place for submitting replays & will give it a look-see & evaluation for you.

o/ yep send me replayz!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,666
[PVE]
Members
6,127 posts
22,432 battles
18 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Welcome to the Forums, you did your first step in improving already.

You have enough battles now to know the basics. Be sure your theory is strong in the basic concepts and mechanics of the game, there are a lot of useful guides around.

On the particular issue of your replay, your first mistake was using your damage control too early, you end up taking extra fire damage and later extra flood damage. If possible wait until de planes are gone and you are in no risk of being lighted again. 

Second mistake, you are bottom tier in a double CV match, you are basically an XP piñata. Once you see those planes coming at you, you should try to make yourself scarce. By the time you see the torp bombers coming, you should know you are being focused, change your course, try to make the CV waste time looking for you, maybe he'll forget and go pester someone else.

Third mistake, bad positioning. Even after being torped, you kept your frontal charge at the enemy line. I know you are playing a brit ship but you are not under any obligation to perform a redition of the Charge of the light Brigade. Next time try to retreat, use your magnificent heal and then come back to the fight.

Cheers

Phone won't let me watch replays but advice seems sound...but as for OPs 2nd mistake you listed (being bottom tier in a 2 CV match)...he doesn't really have the option to choose that after hitting the battle button so it doesn't really count as a mistake.

Good advice on how to play after that occurs though...+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,630
[SALVO]
Members
4,336 posts
3,773 battles
57 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Phone won't let me watch replays but advice seems sound...but as for OPs 2nd mistake you listed (being bottom tier in a 2 CV match)...he doesn't really have the option to choose that after hitting the battle button so it doesn't really count as a mistake.

Good advice on how to play after that occurs though...+1

Yes, but he was being very oblivious to fact. The CV focused him early on (t6 BB) because he was easy prey. Would have been better not to be so close to the front line when the CV is hunting for you. At least change the bearing and try to seek AA cover. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,666
[PVE]
Members
6,127 posts
22,432 battles
13 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Yes, but he was being very oblivious to fact. The CV focused him early on (t6 BB) because he was easy prey. Would have been better not to be so close to the front line when the CV is hunting for you. At least change the bearing and try to seek AA cover. 

As I said I couldn't even watch the replay...I was just saying he had no choice to be in a battle as low tier against 2 CVs...that was MM's doing...as for his actions after MM did it's thing I can't directly comment on them as I couldn't watch the replay...but it sounds like you covered all the basics pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×