Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IgnisFatuus

Secondaries reload time Yoshi

20 comments in this topic

[5D7]
Members
141 posts
7,307 battles

So I was testing odd builds due to boredom and Covid. Went for a full secondaries build on a Yoshi since it has a Kitakaze strapped to each side. A full secondaries build provides a 35%(-10 BFT -20 AAM2 -5  MYS) reduction to said gun group reload time, from a 3 second starting point that would lead to a final 1.95 second reload time(FTW). But what happened is that the in game description states a 2.1 seconds reload time. So, can anyone through a light on this pls?

Pls, don't judge my build, i'm really bored.

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
1,607 posts
9,411 battles
4 minutes ago, IgnisFatuus said:

But what happened is that the in game description states a 2.1 seconds reload time. So, can anyone through a light on this pls?

3*0.9*0.8*.95 = 2.052s, which would round to 2.1 seconds. My guess is this is how WG does the math, with each bonus being applied in series.

• Cool 1

[5D7]
Members
141 posts
7,307 battles
23 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

3*0.9*0.8*.95 = 2.052s, which would round to 2.1 seconds. My guess is this is how WG does the math, with each bonus being applied in series.

Good point mate. Thks.

[5D7]
Members
141 posts
7,307 battles
24 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

But then again, they do not use that method for range improvements as far as I know.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,607 posts
9,411 battles
20 minutes ago, IgnisFatuus said:

But then again, they do not use that method for range improvements as far as I know.

They do.

Bismarck has a stock secondary range of 7.5km, and 11.3km range when fully specced. The range can be increased with AAM2 (20%), AFT (20%), and the signal flag (5%). 7.5*1.2*1.2*1.05=11.34, which would round to 11.3km.

Otherwise, the range would be 10.9km: 7.5*(1+0.2+0.2+0.05)=10.875.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 2

[-PVE-]
Members
588 posts
2 hours ago, IgnisFatuus said:

So I was testing odd builds due to boredom and Covid. Went for a full secondaries build on a Yoshi since it has a Kitakaze strapped to each side. A full secondaries build provides a 35%(-10 BFT -20 AAM2 -5  MYS) reduction to said gun group reload time, from a 3 second starting point that would lead to a final 1.95 second reload time(FTW). But what happened is that the in game description states a 2.1 seconds reload time. So, can anyone through a light on this pls?

How are you liking it so far? 

I'm bored also, and I've been tinkering with captain skills on some of my mainstays.

On another note, I've been contemplating on getting Yoshino, now that I've finished the unique upgrade mod for Zao. I have the coal, but is Yoshino in your opinion a better Zao? I just don't want to spend coal unnecessarily.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
2 hours ago, IgnisFatuus said:

Lol I could never judge a player that likeness to engage in secondary gun brawls! :Smile_honoring:

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
2 minutes ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

I'm bored also, and I've been tinkering with captain skills on some of my mainstays.

On another note, I've been contemplating on getting Yoshino, now that I've finished the unique upgrade mod for Zao. I have the coal, but is Yoshino in your opinion a better Zao? I just don't want to spend coal unnecessarily.

As somebody who loves using both Zao and Yoshino I would call them different and yet even. I take one or the other out depending on the day I am having, which style I want to use, or what my intuition tells me I will likely need in the next battle.

Zao having better stealth, smaller profile, ability to stealthily use the faster running 12km torpedoes, better agility when slipping through tighter island areas, and she can throw 12 shells at a time with a faster reload than Yoshino.

Yoshino has 20km torpedoes that hit so hard once you get some practice using those and have had far more ships fall victim to those torpedoes than I would have predicted and it gives you extra firepower down range. Yoshino carries 9x 12” guns which hit hard and the gun range is good, and when using a spotter plane you can attack at Battleship ranges. Yoshino is also a very fast ship, surprisingly well armored as they gave her a very trollish armor layout that has shocked me so many times at how she was able to survive. AA gun defenses are adequate to dissuade attacking aircraft ( I do carry Basic Fire Training on the captain that serves both Zao and a Yoshino and it dies well enough that I can carry hydro instead of Def AA and carry spotter planes instead of cat fighters.)

Few months ago I was quite skeptical about spending the Coal on Yoshino until I saw her in decent hands a few times, then got her on December 26th 2019 and have quickly fallen in love with using Yoshino and wish I had gotten her long ago.

• Cool 1

[-PVE-]
Members
588 posts
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

As somebody who loves using both Zao and Yoshino I would call them different and yet even. I take one or the other out depending on the day I am having, which style I want to use, or what my intuition tells me I will likely need in the next battle.

Zao having better stealth, smaller profile, ability to stealthily use the faster running 12km torpedoes, better agility when slipping through tighter island areas, and she can throw 12 shells at a time with a faster reload than Yoshino.

Yoshino has 20km torpedoes that hit so hard once you get some practice using those and have had far more ships fall victim to those torpedoes than I would have predicted and it gives you extra firepower down range. Yoshino carries 9x 12” guns which hit hard and the gun range is good, and when using a spotter plane you can attack at Battleship ranges. Yoshino is also a very fast ship, surprisingly well armored as they gave her a very trollish armor layout that has shocked me so many times at how she was able to survive. AA gun defenses are adequate to dissuade attacking aircraft ( I do carry Basic Fire Training on the captain that serves both Zao and a Yoshino and it dies well enough that I can carry hydro instead of Def AA and carry spotter planes instead of cat fighters.)

Few months ago I was quite skeptical about spending the Coal on Yoshino until I saw her in decent hands a few times, then got her on December 26th 2019 and have quickly fallen in love with using Yoshino and wish I had gotten her long ago.

Thank you. I still have that coupon, and I've stocked up on coal. I'm gonna get Yoshino.

[1984]
Members
4,118 posts
19,840 battles
2 hours ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

Thank you. I still have that coupon, and I've stocked up on coal. I'm gonna get Yoshino.

Be careful. There are several wip ships right now and at least 1-2 will be available for coal. I’d wait and see.

[-PVE-]
Members
588 posts
9 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Be careful. There are several wip ships right now and at least 1-2 will be available for coal. I’d wait and see.

I agree. I can get one Tier X with coupon now, and another without coupon, in perhaps 3-4 weeks of playing. But, yes, best to wait for a week given the next update will arrive in less than a month.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
8 hours ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

6 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

I would still highly recommend Yoshino, particularly when I was having a battle against a Stalingrad at around 20km and scored a nice citadel hit against a bow on Stalingrad. Among many other great engagements with Yoshino. It has good HE, AP, and torpedoes. Lol I actually often have had difficulty deciding whether to use AP or HE shells sometimes, not because one of them might be bad, but because both shells types are good. Of course depending on the situation either of the shell types can go from good to being great, hence the dilemma lol.

And I am the type of person who does not make hasty purchases, so the decision to get Yoshino was very carefully considered with many factors taken into consideration. And even with WIP ships on the horizon I would still say go for Yoshino as I can sense a good amount longevity in the ship, which means it will serve it’s users well for a very long time. So it’s not a one trick gimmick ship that is good today and then virtually useless in the near future which is something I usually am wary about and try to avoid. Which is why I like good solid all around performing ships like Yoshino.

The one drawback Yoshino has is while a cruiser player or BB player could make good use of the ship, the most optimal use of the ship requires an understanding of the Battlecruiser play style. Which playing Battlecruisers has been a growing love of mine. Typically it requires staying on the move, calculating if you should move in and engage, stay at certain ranges and engage, flee an engagement, avoid engagement and stay dark, to a certain extent planning your course a bit so you don’t get trapped and grounded on islands, you have to mind your speed so you don’t yolo into trouble on accident. But despite the downsides being able to decide the terms of many fights and respond with 12” BB caliber main guns, good AA guns, secondary guns are decent if you got surprised at close range, and the 20km torpedoes have proved deadly. If your target is attempting to flee chances are they will not outrun you, or at least will not make a rapid escape from you. Or if your trying to escape the odds are favorable you will be able to outrun them unless they are using the few ships that are faster.

The only reason I would say to wait on getting Yoshino would be if someone does not have the Jean Bart then I would say get JB first since both are good ships and JB will be leaving the Armory soon.

[1984]
Members
4,118 posts
19,840 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I would still highly recommend Yoshino, particularly when I was having a battle against a Stalingrad at around 20km and scored a nice citadel hit against a bow on Stalingrad. Among many other great engagements with Yoshino. It has good HE, AP, and torpedoes. Lol I actually often have had difficulty deciding whether to use AP or HE shells sometimes, not because one of them might be bad, but because both shells types are good. Of course depending on the situation either of the shell types can go from good to being great, hence the dilemma lol.

And I am the type of person who does not make hasty purchases, so the decision to get Yoshino was very carefully considered with many factors taken into consideration. And even with WIP ships on the horizon I would still say go for Yoshino as I can sense a good amount longevity in the ship, which means it will serve it’s users well for a very long time. So it’s not a one trick gimmick ship that is good today and then virtually useless in the near future which is something I usually am wary about and try to avoid. Which is why I like good solid all around performing ships like Yoshino.

The one drawback Yoshino has is while a cruiser player or BB player could make good use of the ship, the most optimal use of the ship requires an understanding of the Battlecruiser play style. Which playing Battlecruisers has been a growing love of mine. Typically it requires staying on the move, calculating if you should move in and engage, stay at certain ranges and engage, flee an engagement, avoid engagement and stay dark, to a certain extent planning your course a bit so you don’t get trapped and grounded on islands, you have to mind your speed so you don’t yolo into trouble on accident. But despite the downsides being able to decide the terms of many fights and respond with 12” BB caliber main guns, good AA guns, secondary guns are decent if you got surprised at close range, and the 20km torpedoes have proved deadly. If your target is attempting to flee chances are they will not outrun you, or at least will not make a rapid escape from you. Or if your trying to escape the odds are favorable you will be able to outrun them unless they are using the few ships that are faster.

The only reason I would say to wait on getting Yoshino would be if someone does not have the Jean Bart then I would say get JB first since both are good ships and JB will be leaving the Armory soon.

thanks, i've been wondering about yosho meself and maybe i'll pick it up depending on the wips

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 hour ago, monpetitloup said:

thanks, i've been wondering about yosho meself and maybe i'll pick it up depending on the wips

From what a I have heard the upcoming Large Cruisers/ Battlecruisers are not that good at the moment as WG already nerfed them too much, so unless they received buffs prior to or after release they will not be that good. But then again look at what Yoshino turned into. :Smile_smile:

I do consider having a Larger Cruiser / Battlecruiser type of ship in port to be essential in tier X if you enjoy playing all types of ships and battle modes. Like during one of the recent X Ranked seasons where the Meta turned heavily against BBs, DDs were so common, the maps  favored faster ships, CAs could be problematic for the DDs, and so you really needed a Battlecruiser type of warship that could travel fast enough, well enough armed and armored to deal with both BBs and CAs as well as doing reasonably well again DDs. Granted Ranked can be a world of it’s own, but did prove be just how valuable said warships can be under extreme circumstances. And while not as highlighted in Randoms or Co-Op they still do well. And when in Clan Battles they are a fun way to basically sneak extra BBs in.

• Cool 1

[5D7]
Members
141 posts
7,307 battles
13 hours ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

Well, Thrawn has given a very thorough description of Yoshi. I really like it, but is a substantially different ship from Zao.

I play it max range, that means with range mod in T6 slot, most people would think why would I do that. The answer is simple, the ship remains very accurate downrange, this gives you a 24,7 km firing range. On top of that 310mm shell are not floaty as 203 when max range firing. Combine that with a decent speed and you are a pain in the pooper. You can deliver fires across the whole map like no one else. I particularly dislike the reload mod as it impairs further the turret rotation which already is bad, and the ship maneuvering is not that good. AP shells can citadel pretty much anything but a few select TX BBs, yes you can delete minotaurs and smolensks. As Thrawn said "torps", you can set some really nice area denial and weird fish ambushes with them once you get used to them being very noticeable.

Now back to the starting point, the secondaries build. It basically melts anything within range. Did a very simple test of fire´power, like uber simplistic, but to get an idea. Training room, stationary bots of assorted TX vessels. A target is selected and the time to sink is noted, from max firing range(7,6/3 as i did not have a full 19pt specialized capt yet). No fire enhancers nor IFHE, just range, rate of fire and accuracy. In about a minute the Moskva was about to sink. Only secondaries firieng, not a hint of main gun fire or torpedoes. In about 10 minutes(give or take) the secondaries had taken about 6 or 7 ships to sea bottom. 

Conclusion, would be interesting for WG to create a consumable for this ship and the ones that have type 98 100mm secondaries. The only downside is that you will never get a 11km final range, if that was possible the build is absolutely viable. No DD would be interested in hugging you ever.

Back to Yoshino as a battlecruiser. I think it really shines at long range fights, it can provide support across the entire map without any difficulties(spare a land mass blocking shell path). Good fire starter, unparalleled grouping at range, both AP and HE shells are effective given you choose them wisely. And on top of that you get a really serviceable torpedo suite. On a personal pref, I go with AA consumable as i rather not chase DDs on this ship, not comfortable at it when specced for long range combat.

• Cool 1

[5D7]
Members
141 posts
7,307 battles
14 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

They do.

Bismarck has a stock secondary range of 7.5km, and 11.3km range when fully specced. The range can be increased with AAM2 (20%), AFT (20%), and the signal flag (5%). 7.5*1.2*1.2*1.05=11.34, which would round to 11.3km.

Otherwise, the range would be 10.9km: 7.5*(1+0.2+0.2+0.05)=10.875.

I stand corrected and enlightened. Thanks skipper.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,168 posts
9,416 battles
On 3/29/2020 at 10:44 PM, IgnisFatuus said:

I run secondary build too. Its very effective vs DDs and it is good to finish off some close range cruisers. 

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,168 posts
9,416 battles
On 3/30/2020 at 2:30 PM, IgnisFatuus said:

I play it max range,

Back to Yoshino as a battlecruiser. I think it really shines at long range fights,

That's because it is forced to not because it is best at it. The fact Yoshino has more armor and better armor angles than most heavy cruisers yet INEXPLICABLY (other than IJN Hate code) it takes MASSIVE damage and nonstop-full pens from anything, even destroyers, forces it to stay out of medium or close range encounters. 

Go to test arena and hit a minotaur with any heavy cruiser AP of your choice on the very flat broadside of its thickest armor belt area (non-citadel). See the damage you do with full pen. Now repeat firing same ship gun but against a yoshino on the same thickest part of the ship. The damage Yoshino takes is excessive compared to Minotaur. For lols, hit the Yoshino on its weakest armored area broadside that roughly the same as minotaur's thickest armor plate. Even there the damage is excessive compared to mino. 

Its like any shell that hits Yoshino is hard coded to always damage more than 1 health pool of the ship. There is no reason or explanation why a tier 8 mogami 155 shells doing AP full pen on Yoshino's angled armor will pull over 16k damage when it can't possibly ever do the same vs a light cruiser or any other heavy cruiser with less armor and on flat broadside compared to a yoshino. 

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,168 posts
9,416 battles
On 3/30/2020 at 1:10 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

trollish armor? have a pic of how you angle it? I've tried everything and any ship no matter what still pens me for monster damage no matter the angle or range. 

[5D7]
Members
141 posts
7,307 battles
On 5/29/2020 at 3:53 PM, Skyfaller said:

trollish armor? have a pic of how you angle it? I've tried everything and any ship no matter what still pens me for monster damage no matter the angle or range. 

full bow on, don't angle.

Sign in to follow this