Sign in to follow this  
SKurj

Nelson... Yay or Nay?

11 comments in this topic

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

I know back a couple of years ago, the opportunity to grab a ship for freexp sounded great...  well i finally have enough to buy the Nelson.. should i?

I recently bought the Jean Bart, which shares a similar gun layout, and I enjoy that thing alot, b b bb but..  I am fairly new, sure i played in beta, but I've only got 900 or so battles and only half a dozen at higher tiers (all in the JB)

As yet I haven't explored all my options with these front gunned ships, i typically find myself in the JB crawling backwards and forwards next to an island bow tanking everything...   (little maneuvering) which does particularly leave me vulnerable to dd's and aircraft.

I already have the Warspite, and i recently unlocked the QE, and I do plan on taking the RN BB line to T10 eventually... (could be years) I primarily play BB's at the moment, and  they are my most played class.

So in the current meta... is the Nelson a decent buy?  Or... should I save that freexp?  I have 36 ships... quite a few of those are low tier prems, the freexp could be used to skip the stock grinds, or saved for something else further down the line...

I read LWM's review and it almost has me sold...  but it is a few years old.

Thoughts?

[KWF]
Members
4,372 posts
6,405 battles

One of the selling points of Nelson that's now gone was her ability to be able to participate in Narai; if you had stacked signals/camo/premium time you could recoup her FXP cost in pretty quickly. 

Still, I think Nelson is a decent buy that can print Dreadnought and Fireproof almost on demand. Just keep in mind that compared to JB your bow can be overmatched by any 380mm+ armed ship.

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles

Nelson is good and great for Narai, although Narai itself might not be worthy of playing, if it comes back nerfed.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,644 posts
34,911 battles

Nelson is good. Go fo r it.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,760 posts
21,529 battles

Nelson is always fun. You can't bring all her turrets to bear bowtanking like you do in JB. She is also more susceptible to aircraft than JB. I have fun in both! Put a survivability captain on her and watch that zombie heal work for you!

Edited by Khafni

[WOLF8]
Members
7,344 posts
6,239 battles

Watch her on-board Super British 3D Ship Printer Repair Party printing out a whole new ship... it's always a treat, lol. x)

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,983 posts
14,251 battles

Just play Disco Inferno in the background...you will soon understand!

[-PVE-]
Members
253 posts
13,017 battles

You can burn down about 4/5 s health, use repair party and be at full health. Its unreal. Get the ship.

Members
59 posts
2,621 battles

Go for it! The play style of Nelson and JB is similar, which means you can continue shooting without worrying about the citadel if you only have enemies in front of you. 

However, please note that Nelson's main turrets are easy to be paralyzed, and that her bow and stern are just 25mm, which shells of ≥ 380mm can penetrate all the time. 

Nelson also gets a super repair party, healing more than 20K HP if properly used. 

When in Tier 9 game, don't play too actively, or you may suffer from HE spam or citadel penetrations. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
4 hours ago, Impitoyable_5929_x said:

Go for it! The play style of Nelson and JB is similar, which means you can continue shooting without worrying about the citadel if you only have enemies in front of you. 

However, please note that Nelson's main turrets are easy to be paralyzed, and that her bow and stern are just 25mm, which shells of ≥ 380mm can penetrate all the time. 

Nelson also gets a super repair party, healing more than 20K HP if properly used. 

When in Tier 9 game, don't play too actively, or you may suffer from HE spam or citadel penetrations. 

ooo it still has 25mm bow hmm  I saw that in LWM's review and figured perhaps it had been buffed for the recent ifhe changes (or at least since the review which was a couple years old), but my bad for not actually looking it up... guess I should do a proper look at the ship before committing, but so far you guys have pretty much convinced me.

Sign in to follow this