You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WM1957

Bismark or Tirpitz?

17 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
273 posts
8,665 battles

Are they both the same except that Tirpitz has torpedoes? Which one is better?

Members
7,122 posts
22,043 battles

One has torps, one has hydro. To each his own. Both fun, both power creeped, both bad dispersion.....

The issue with torps is that you want to use them ….so in many cases you get in positions that you shouldn't to do so... The same with Secondary builds but on that score they are basically equal. I would venture that hydro saves you more damage than the torps create when comparing the two.

I would lean Bismarck.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,555 posts
11,027 battles

Bismarck has better AA than Tirpitz and has hydro, while Tirpitz has 6km torpedoes. There are some other minor differences, such as Tirpitz having 0.2 km greater main battery range, but they’re relatively minor.

[TOG]
Members
219 posts
11,376 battles

Tirpitz also makes more $$ due to being a Premium.

[NUWES]
Members
3,381 posts
12,237 battles
4 hours ago, WM1957 said:

Depends on what you are using them for. Bismarck survives better, Tirp is the better damage producer in a close brawl. It is also the better credit earner as a premium. 

[NG-NL]
Members
394 posts
10,475 battles

It looks like you play mostly co-op.
I expect Tirpitz would perform better than Bismarck in the hard-charging race to do damage that is co-op.

[HINON]
Members
8,689 posts
12,682 battles

depends on your playstyle, if youre a true blue brawler, Tirpitz is your girl, the guns, the secondaries and the torps make her one of the best brawlers out there, Bismarck is about the same, but has Hydro to spot torps from further away, and has better AA

[SOUS]
Members
62 posts
9,274 battles

I prefer Tirpitz with secondary build and hanging near islands waiting to strike. Pushing near islands with torps is lethal, I love pushing at island hugging moskvas and bbs and seeing them squirm.

I dont get the same pushing power with Bismark.

Also Tirpitz has the premium benefits.

I also prefer my Mass to Bismark with the 6 forward facing guns.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,337 posts
19,348 battles

I have both, and only play Biz.  I'm a brrawler...like to move in and mix things up...including mano mano agaiinst DDs in the early game.  Hydro is SIGNIFICANT to this play style as it's critical to the torpedo beats.  It's also a significant aid to any friendly CAs and DDs that push with me.  Although torps are also a viable brawler capability, BB torps are largely circumstantial.  Sometimes, the situation for their use presents itself...sometimes not.  Hydro, in an early brawl configuration, is ALWAYS useful.

[NOVEL]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,951 battles

With all the HE spam, chances are, that your torpedos are gone before your enemy is in range to fire them.

But the Tirpitz has a quite good credit multiplier build in. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,845 posts
25,782 battles

There is one thing about Tirpitz and her torpedo launchers.  They're pretty easy to get knocked out, destroyed.  BBs by nature take a lot of hits in the central area, right where the superstructure is at.  Guess what's there?  That's right.  1 torpedo launcher per side at the center.

If you're a BB player and want to troll a Tirpitz, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, fire a salvo of HE and hit them in the center of the superstructure.  Most especially if you have something like RN BB 419mm, 457mm HE with the crazy blast radius and high damage :Smile_teethhappy:

Tirpitz is still great, but her main asset, her torpedoes, can be destroyed.  The same can't be said about Bismarck's Hydro.  Your ship may get battered, but she'll have her Hydro as long as you got charges.

[FML]
Members
4,155 posts
16,067 battles
17 hours ago, WM1957 said:

I much preferred the Tirpitz.  

I really liked how the Tirpitz is an armoured destroyer - the torps give you such a strong advantage in CQB against other 'brawlers' like the Bismarck and the Massachusettes, you often watch those ships try to disengage and run from you which provides broadside to shoot at.  Yes, you cant just rush in at the start of battle, and yes you cant just rely on your secondaries, but the Tirpitz generates great credits, is a good German BB captain trainer as her skill needs are the same (unlike Massachusettes), and at T8 she can be used to grind the various upper tier campaings and missions.  The Scharnhorst is still probably a stronger ship, tier for tier, because it can stomp T5s, but that is increasling less common.  

But, Tirpitz costs $$$ whereas the Bismarck is free.  

There is something to be said for free stuff.  

[BB35]
Members
559 posts
4,664 battles

Get both... I'm sharing a secondary build CPT with the Tirpitz and GK, while doing a survival build for my Bismarck CPT.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,352 posts
17,307 battles
2 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

But, Tirpitz costs $$$ whereas the Bismarck is free.  

While we're on that topic, the same can be said about Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.

I would grind to Bismarck first and gain an appreciation for what she offers. When you have gained enough experience in her and have thought often enough about what you might have done if you'd had torpedoes (like you did on the Gneis), THEN is the time to consider spending money on the Tirpitz.

After grinding all the Bismarck's B modules out in 1v1 Ranked Sprint late last year/early this year, I realised what the Tirpitz offered and how she should (IMHO) be used. The reason I haven't bought her yet is because there are other ships I still want more, and I am waiting for the next doubloon coupon to drop. 

[REVY]
Members
2,631 posts
14,437 battles
19 hours ago, BCGrog said:

Tirpitz also makes more $$ due to being a Premium.

She also got a boost if you were able to unlock that other Camo she has.