Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Hippo

Mini Map

19 comments in this topic

[COMRD]
Members
86 posts
4,577 battles

I wish players would use the mini map before turning and/or firing torps. Just a glance to see where your partners are would be a great help.

Members
2,438 posts
5,366 battles

You have a lot of faith in random players that play WOWS. I bet half of them never use the minimap.

• Cool 2

[CK5]
Members
1,372 posts
14,323 battles
3 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

You have a lot of faith in random players that play WOWS. I bet half of them never use the minimap.

^This - absolute truth.  

• Cool 1

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
19 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Recently i saw a player asking in game chat if there was a way to disable the "useless" minimap, according to the player the minimap was "polluting" his screen... Yeah... The worst part is that a few other players agreed with him...

• Confused 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,137 posts
13,741 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Hippo said:

I wish players would use the mini map before turning and/or firing torps. Just a glance to see where your partners are would be a great help.

Everyone else should watch out for me. It's your fault if you run into my torpedoes.  Yes, I was being sarcastic but sadly far too many players have that attitude.

Trading paint, as they say in NASCAR, is a more complex issue. DD's need the space to dodge & dart all over the place. BB's do not stop or turn on a dime. There is no central command to guide ships by establishing routes to avoid collisions.

However keeping an eye on the mini map will reduce incidents.

[SALVO]
Members
24,796 posts
25,871 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

Everyone else should watch out for me. It's your fault if you run into my torpedoes.  Yes, I was being sarcastic but sadly far too many players have that attitude.

Trading paint, as they say in NASCAR, is a more complex issue. DD's need the space to dodge & dart all over the place. BB's do not stop or turn on a dime. There is no central command to guide ships by establishing routes to avoid collisions.

However keeping an eye on the mini map will reduce incidents.

The standard rule should be that the larger ship always has the right of way, because the larger the ship, the less maneuverable it will be.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,796 posts
25,871 battles
2 hours ago, Xlap said:

Recently i saw a player asking in game chat if there was a way to disable the "useless" minimap, according to the player the minimap was "polluting" his screen... Yeah... The worst part is that a few other players agreed with him...

Best thing that I would suggest, Xlap, is short term memory loss.  That is, just forget (if you happen to know) what the key binding is for disabling the minimap for a little while.  Or don't even answer.  Hey, in theory, one could take the time to explain why the minimap isn't useless and how to make use of it.  But you don't always have the time or inclination to do so.  And there's no guarantee that the other guy would even listen.

Honestly, it would be hilarious if the key binding for disabling the minimap was instead bound in a way to pop up a text window that said "Hey, dumb a$$$!  The minimap is a VERY important tool in WoWS and is NOT useless!!!"  And for further yucks, maybe if one attempts to disable the minimap, have the key binding give you an automatic negative report for bad play.

Members
109 posts
882 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Hippo said:

How do you turn that damn thing off?

If I sling some torps and hit a friendly I will be sad.  I don't want to be sad.  I just want to have fun:Smile_teethhappy:

And, that thing consumes way too much screen space.  Too confusing.  All those dots moving around.  Too distracting.

[GPORT]
Members
182 posts
11,603 battles

As a former sailor on the great lakes and the pacific ocean , it is always ' tonnage has the right of way " .

• Cool 1

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Best thing that I would suggest, Xlap, is short term memory loss.  That is, just forget (if you happen to know) what the key binding is for disabling the minimap for a little while.  Or don't even answer.  Hey, in theory, one could take the time to explain why the minimap isn't useless and how to make use of it.  But you don't always have the time or inclination to do so.  And there's no guarantee that the other guy would even listen.

This is what i did, when the guy first asked if there was a way to disable the minimap, i was ready to argue with him, but when he completed with "minimap is useless" i was like :Smile_facepalm: ok... he is a potato... no point in arguing with a guy like this... 

2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, it would be hilarious if the key binding for disabling the minimap was instead bound in a way to pop up a text window that said "Hey, dumb a$$$!  The minimap is a VERY important tool in WoWS and is NOT useless!!!"  And for further yucks, maybe if one attempts to disable the minimap, have the key binding give you an automatic negative report for bad play.

This would be fun, specially if there was some kind of indication to other players like a big arrow pointting to the ship " captain potato here, surrender your ships!!"

[TDRB]
Members
5,137 posts
13,741 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

The standard rule should be that the larger ship always has the right of way, because the larger the ship, the less maneuverable it will be.

I disagree. A DD should not have to expose itself to more income fire because a BB driver wants to take the safest path through the area. I play BB more often than not.

[SALVO]
Members
24,796 posts
25,871 battles
2 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I disagree. A DD should not have to expose itself to more income fire because a BB driver wants to take the safest path through the area. I play BB more often than not.

Disagree all you want.  This is the standard real life rule for very good reasons.  Reasons that don't change just because it's a game.

[TDRB]
Members
5,137 posts
13,741 battles
3 hours ago, Gafwmn said:

As a former sailor on the great lakes and the pacific ocean , it is always ' tonnage has the right of way " .

Real world shipping traffic regulations do not apply in battle. Fleet action is choreographed and who has "the right of way" is determine by the operations staff, not the International Maritime Organization. 

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles
26 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Real world shipping traffic regulations do not apply in battle. Fleet action is choreographed and who has "the right of way" is determine by the operations staff, not the International Maritime Organization. 

Maritime practice, physics, and common sense however will tell you that it is much easier for the much smaller, lighter, more agile, quick rudder DD to change course than the gigantic, lumbering slow rudder BB.

That said all captain's need to be aware of their teammates. Removing map is a hilariously awful idea.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[GPORT]
Members
182 posts
11,603 battles

Usually what I see is dd's not looking where they are going and end up getting rammed because they are too focused on getting position for a torp shot by doing a 180 or 270 deg  turn .

Tunnel vision , we all have been there done that.

If I see on the map that things will get dicey IF I continue in this direction then I will change heading to avoid being a piñata . 

Members
5 posts
920 battles

New and noob player coming over from World of Tanks Blitz.  I've seen on YouTube videos that the little gears on top of the mini -map can be clicked and it opens up an options menu.  One of the options is to turn on ship names.  I would like to do this but cannot click on this gear in game.  Does anyone know how this is accomplished?

Edited by How_Bad_Is_Green

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles
1 minute ago, How_Bad_Is_Green said:

New and noob player coming over from World of Tanks Blitz.  I've seen on YouTube videos that the little gears on top of the mini -map can be clicked and it opens up an options menu.  One of the options is to turn on ship names.  I would like to do this but cannot click on this gear in game.  Does anyone know how this is accomplished. 

Control click.

Also hit the + key to enlarge map, recommended.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[TDRB]
Members
5,137 posts
13,741 battles
4 hours ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

That said all captain's need to be aware of their teammates. Removing map is a hilariously awful idea.

I do agree with this. ^^^^^^

Players get tunnel vision in battle fixed on their target. This is where the problem lies. Loosing a few credits & XP or 2 games in pink is not a strong enough deterrent to force players to improve their situational awareness. 

WG handing out stiffer penalties would forces some people to quit.

Sign in to follow this