Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Wolfswetpaws

Hosho Commander gained a skill point last night

16 comments in this topic

[WPORT]
Members
5,385 posts
10,416 battles

While playing "just for the fun of it", I was training my Hosho's Commander, last night.

I played enough games and earned enough experience points for the Commander to go from 8 Skill points to 9 Skill points.
It was mostly in random matches.  Some wins and some losses.  Several games were well played and I ran out of "Plays Well" and "Good Manners" and "Worthy Adversary" compliments to give.  :-)

Here are a couple of screen-shots, just for the heck of it.  

952736153_Hosho_Commander-KaigunChusaGoroMaeda_earnedaninthskillpointlastnight_03-29-2020_.thumb.jpg.93ef4f477f99e1384782a695c91df4bc.jpg1821637870_Hosho_Commander-KaigunChusaGoroMaeda_skillpointspersonnelfile_03-29-2020_.thumb.jpg.77ae9f8356f2cfbaaebd3b01a4a0725d.jpg

[WPORT]
Members
5,385 posts
10,416 battles

Played enough games, today, to get the tenth skill point.  :-)
1275035695_Hosho_CommanderKaigunChusaGoroMaedaearnedtenthskillpoint_03-29-2020_.thumb.jpg.eb7bb15d09079c7a5df161a595f6eb3b.jpg

[FEM]
Supertester
275 posts
8,837 battles

No.

This is a basic 17pt captain build for IJN CVs Shokaku and Hakuryu.
The last 2 points you can choose between TA or Last Gasp + Improved Engine Boost.

Unbenannt.PNG

Edited by tmGrunty

[WPORT]
Members
5,385 posts
10,416 battles
16 hours ago, PrinceOfTheOcean said:

Cool! Is the catapult fighter skill recommended for IJN CVs?

I"m using it ("Direction Center for Fighters") to get an extra fighter for the Ship's fighter-plane consumable (usually activated when opposing planes get close enough to trigger it).
My thinking is that my fighter cover will either out-number enemy fighters (if two CV's are close to each other) or not be at a numerical disadvantage if my opponent has the same skill.
Also, with more fighters, I'm hoping they will shoot down enemy strike squadrons more quickly, and thus defend/preserve my ship.

It is sort of a "luxury" or "optional" skill point expenditure. 
Any CV can utilize it (and also any ship equipped with the fighter plane consumable).
Getting both 3-point skills of Aircraft Armor and Survivability Expert takes priority, though.

[WPORT]
Members
5,385 posts
10,416 battles
7 hours ago, tmGrunty said:

No.

This is a basic 17pt captain build for IJN CVs Shokaku and Hakuryu.
The last 2 points you can choose between TA or Last Gasp + Improved Engine Boost.

Unbenannt.PNG

I understand that many people prefer to use "Sight Stabilization" as a skill.
It is not my preference.
I'd spend the points elsewhere, such as on Advanced Firing Training to improve Secondary Battery and AA gun performance or on Fire Prevention to minimize HE-spam damage.
One could argue that Fire Prevention is less important than Demolition Expert for a CV, perhaps?
And that would free up a skill point to be used on improving the engine boost time.

Spend the points as you choose, of course.  :-)

Members
92 posts
1,030 battles
7 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I understand that many people prefer to use "Sight Stabilization" as a skill.
It is not my preference.
I'd spend the points elsewhere, such as on Advanced Firing Training to improve Secondary Battery and AA gun performance or on Fire Prevention to minimize HE-spam damage.
One could argue that Fire Prevention is less important than Demolition Expert for a CV, perhaps?
And that would free up a skill point to be used on improving the engine boost time.

Spend the points as you choose, of course.  :-)

I noticed that you don't talk about torpedo acceleration? I personally think that ovearll it is a beneficial skill? What'a are the pros and cons of torpedo acceleration other than the fact that it increases your arming distance?

[FEM]
Supertester
275 posts
8,837 battles

If you are so close in a CV (maybe except GZ) thatyour secondaries are firing you have made a massive mistake in positioning.
AFT is also completely worthless as an AA skill. It only improves flak damage which is deadly enough already and no CV should even try to strike you anyways unless you are the last ship alive.
At higher tiers it is absolutely deadly and a complete waste of planes if you try to attack an enemy CV. They have the best anti-air in the game and you will lose every single plane in your squad trying to get a strike through.

Fire Prevention doesn't help you either.
The -10% chance is absolutely meaningless to begin with and reduction to 3 fires doesn't help either because of how firfes on CVs work.
Usually it's great because it combines the 2 middle (superstructure) sections into 1 and you can only take 1 fire there instead of 2.
This is still true for CVs but since fiures only lasts 5 seconds on CVs it doesn't matter. You can just be set on fire on that 1 section every 5 seconds anyway. They don't need to set 2 fires to burn burn you down.
Besides that ... If you are under constant fire from enemies you have mispositioned your ship.

Regarding Torpedo Acceleration ...
Upsides:

• Faster torpedoes make dropping on smaller targets easier and also allows you drop from behind ships so the torpedoes can catch up

Downsides:

• It costs 2 points that could be spent on other skills (mostly additional T1 skills)
  • You need to drop further out which can prevent you from dropping on targets close to islands
  • It increases the speed difference between USN/RN CV torpedoes and IJN torpedoes and therefore you have to learn different lead times

Edited by tmGrunty

[WPORT]
Members
5,385 posts
10,416 battles

I noticed that you don't talk about torpedo acceleration? I personally think that ovearll it is a beneficial skill? What'a are the pros and cons of torpedo acceleration other than the fact that it increases your arming distance?

With IJN CV's, the aerial torpedoes are already the fastest for their tier (50 or more knots, if I recall correctly).
So, I feel that IJN CV Captains can spend skill points elsewhere.

With USN and RN CV's, the torpedoes are slow to begin with (often only 35 knots before upgrades or Captain's Skills are applied).

The USN and RN Commanders may choose to spend the points to increase the torpedo speeds or decide to adjust their aim to compensate for the speed difference. 
There are some ships that can out-run torpedoes that aren't moving at 40+ knots. 
So, USN and RN CV players have to evaluate if the benefits are worth the costs.

[WPORT]
Members
5,385 posts
10,416 battles
7 hours ago, tmGrunty said:

If you are so close in a CV (maybe except GZ) thatyour secondaries are firing you have made a massive mistake in positioning.
AFT is also completely worthless as an AA skill. It only improves flak damage which is deadly enough already and no CV should even try to strike you anyways unless you are the last ship alive.
At higher tiers it is absolutely deadly and a complete waste of planes if you try to attack an enemy CV. They have the best anti-air in the game and you will lose every single plane in your squad trying to get a strike through.

Fire Prevention doesn't help you either.
The -10% chance is absolutely meaningless to begin with and reduction to 3 fires doesn't help either because of how firfes on CVs work.
Usually it's great because it combines the 2 middle (superstructure) sections into 1 and you can only take 1 fire there instead of 2.
This is still true for CVs but since fiures only lasts 5 seconds on CVs it doesn't matter. You can just be set on fire on that 1 section every 5 seconds anyway. They don't need to set 2 fires to burn burn you down.
Besides that ... If you are under constant fire from enemies you have mispositioned your ship.

Regarding Torpedo Acceleration ...

You make a good argument.

What about trading either Sight-Stabilization or Fire Prevention (both being 4-point skills) for a combination of Demolition Expert and any 1-point skill?

[FEM]
Supertester
275 posts
8,837 battles

Demo Expert only works on Rockets (on IJN CVs) which are or should be your least used planes unless you hunt DDs.
You don't need extra fire chance on those.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,385 posts
10,416 battles
2 hours ago, tmGrunty said:

Demo Expert only works on Rockets (on IJN CVs) which are or should be your least used planes unless you hunt DDs.
You don't need extra fire chance on those.

You answered regarding IJN CV's.

I was asking in a general sense, for all CV's.  So, how do you feel the situation changes when using USN or RN CV's?  Or even Graf Zeppelin, for that matter?

Members
92 posts
1,030 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

You answered regarding IJN CV's.

I was asking in a general sense, for all CV's.  So, how do you feel the situation changes when using USN or RN CV's?  Or even Graf Zeppelin, for that matter?

I use Demo Expert for my USN Lexington and set 10 fires today hunting DDs with HVARs and bombing battleships. I think that Demo Expert, combined with the signal that gives you increased fire chance, puts forth something around 60% fire chance for a bomb, which is hefty.  I haven't built RN CVs yet, but I finished the event and I am wondering if I should use the Captain I got from the April Fools event on CV?

Edited by PrinceOfTheOcean
Spelling.
  • Cool 1

[FEM]
Supertester
275 posts
8,837 battles

Demo Expert is a must on RN CVs and highly recommended on USN CVs (with HE bombs).
In general if you CV has AP bombs you don't take it. If it has HE bombs it's viable but only after you get the plane survival skills in.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,385 posts
10,416 battles

I use Demo Expert for my USN Lexington and set 10 fires today hunting DDs with HVARs and bombing battleships. I think that Demo Expert, combined with the signal that gives you increased fire chance, puts forth something around 60% fire chance for a bomb, which is hefty.  I haven't built RN CVs yet, but I finished the event and I am wondering if I should use the Captain I got from the April Fools event on CV?

6 hours ago, tmGrunty said:

Demo Expert is a must on RN CVs and highly recommended on USN CVs (with HE bombs).
In general if you CV has AP bombs you don't take it. If it has HE bombs it's viable but only after you get the plane survival skills in.

Kudos, gentlemen.  :-)

Sign in to follow this