Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

23 comments in this topic

[WPORT]
Members
5,407 posts
10,457 battles

RNG is "Random Number Generator" and is a computer programming phrase.

It also is used to describe the programmed-in randomization of trajectories of projectiles in WOWs, and other situations where some element of randomness is part of the computer programming calculations.

It is intended to emulate real-life variations in wind velocity, gunpowder inconsistencies and other little details that affect how stuff works "in real life".

• Cool 1

Members
2,804 posts
36,535 battles

RNG or random number generator to put it simply, is a 10 number dice roll. To keep things simple z I am using this example.

Usually a math formula that takes your maximum dispersion number and randomizes it from 1 being spot on for a shell to 10; the dispersion max.

It uses a sigma value to denote how tight the 1 value is, but can involve a floating point decimal value for the generator itself. Each value 1- 10 just as an example , has an assigned part on a table to denote the different dispersion radius of the shell. The sigma determines the smallest radius. It could be 1 meter to 5 meters. From there the RNG plays with that radius. It is different in the ellipse calculation as well because certain guns shoot at various velocities. And shell weight, spin, weather, Earth's rotation, quality of powder, and the human element.

Like stated before, it's a means to simulate variations with real world situation.

However, it's also utilized to keep it arcade like because some artillery seldom missed based on manufacturer.

Artillery technology has not changed much. USS Iowa has the last known accurate artillery computer our there.

However, real world physics does affect that as well.

Most artillery based games have to be made this way because not everything is always true.

Just like when you toss a ball, there are variables.

RNG is the closest to simulate chaos.

And chaos rules the battlefield.

And that also means that anything is possible no matter how improbable.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,022 posts
11,568 battles
1 hour ago, Im_the_Juggernaut_Beotch said:

What is RNG?  And how is it related to "win rates"  and hit Damage in battles

As the guy says above - "Random Number Generator"

In regards to battle it's basically applied to shells after they leave, causing the pattern of how they land in the imaginary circle around the ship that shells will land in, it also applies to CV rockets and bombs. It also applies to fire chance - how with a 10% fire chance and 100 hits you can start no fires. It also has an effect on torpedoes, though more often harder to see (if you pay attention torps from tubes/planes will have inconsistent spacing, which especially at longer ranges can leave gaps a ship can dodge through). The biggest one though is arguably detonation chance - each hit on a magazine - be it direct hits or shock damage - triggers a roll.

For fire chance/detonation, think of it as the game rolling a 100 sided die, in the case of say 10% fire chance, you need to 'roll' a 91-100 to light a fire, while on a detonation, if we say that too is 10% if you 'roll' a 1-10 you explode. For accuracy think of a bullseye or dart board around the target with numbers assigned, and what you roll that matches lands in that circle.

As for winrates - It's the fact the game randomly picks 24 players, other than div's. You can get 11 clueless fools that a toddler pressing buttons randomly can beat, or 11 demigods that will kill everything faster than you can even shoot at them. Same with the other 12 players. It's part of why people like me put less stock in Winrate as a metric than others, someone is just as likely to get teams that carry them (I know of a player who makes the other 11 do all the work, so his WR looks impressive but he's a trash teammate) as much as a better player may just get teams he can't make up for how bad they are - even if they out score everyone on their team and most of the red team. 

[TBCIC]
Members
65 posts
2,617 battles
2 hours ago, Im_the_Juggernaut_Beotch said:

This guy (Real Nautical God) ↓

poseidon_amp_large_image_2.jpg

• Funny 1

[CLUMP]
Members
805 posts
1,157 battles

RNG is not random especially in games   :Smile_sceptic:  So I don't know why they say it's random because it's not :Smile-angry:

• Funny 1

Members
2,419 posts
5,355 battles

Play Roma. You will get a lesson on RNG very quickly: 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,349 posts
3,781 battles
11 hours ago, Im_the_Juggernaut_Beotch said:

RNG is a communist zealot who works for WG. He is in charge of "equalizing" the skill level of players by making the game less about skill and more about dumb luck. He assigns the ration cards for your devstrikes, dispersion, fires, etc. Also he can send you detonations for not aligning with the party ideas.

Secretly, like Gorbachov, he works for some greedy capitalists enterpreneurs who seek to profit from the masses.

Rumor says that he willingly take bribes to deal extra coupon rations, but you can be sent to gulag if you speak openly about it.

• Funny 1

Members
67 posts
7,848 battles

Well if RNG = Random Number Generated,  then it doesn't apply to some of enemy player I encounter.   Cause I'm noticing that in most battles when my ship gets hit,  the salvos of shells have little or no dispersion.  This means the enemy will receive maximum damage caused.  And this is not my imagination. I see this happening a distance of 16 - almost 20km.   Meanwhile my salvos (at 14 -17km) using AP shell cause little to very little damage and sometime I miss completely.  I don't have a premium account or use premium ship (unless gifted).

Strangely I do notice those (gifted) premium ship manage to have excellent accuracy (very little dispersion)

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,349 posts
3,781 battles
4 hours ago, Im_the_Juggernaut_Beotch said:

Well if RNG = Random Number Generated,  then it doesn't apply to some of enemy player I encounter.   Cause I'm noticing that in most battles when my ship gets hit,  the salvos of shells have little or no dispersion.  This means the enemy will receive maximum damage caused.  And this is not my imagination. I see this happening a distance of 16 - almost 20km.   Meanwhile my salvos (at 14 -17km) using AP shell cause little to very little damage and sometime I miss completely.  I don't have a premium account or use premium ship (unless gifted).

Strangely I do notice those (gifted) premium ship manage to have excellent accuracy (very little dispersion)

That line of thought is dissaproved by the party, comrade RNG will continue to skimp your rations. Persist and you'll be sent to detonation Gulag.

[SS238]
Members
368 posts
33,403 battles

The RNG god is a very fickle being. There are times it is better than the Good Fairy - and your shells fly like they are on rails as the citadels roll in.  Then there are times it plays practical joker, as your shells fly everywhere but the target.

But there is an answer. Make the proper sacrifice prior to starting the game. For daily gaming I use a chicken, but for important times like clan wars, a goat works much better. I know one player who summons Yoda to assist him, but the force is not always with him.

[USMC-]
Members
290 posts
8,036 battles

Computers can not generate true random numbers because it is based upon an algorithm. 

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,427 battles
10 hours ago, TheArc said:

RNGesus.png.4e84e87eb6eb035c91469c50f648f696.png

Hmmm. I think my RNGesus only uses one finger most of the time. The middle one of course.:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,120 posts
13,731 battles
21 hours ago, Im_the_Juggernaut_Beotch said:

RNG determines where in your ship's dispersion area your ordnance hits and what type of damage it does. I've had a shell clip the fantail I get a citadel and I've had several shells hit the superstructure and RNG determined only 1 shell hit & it struck the torpedo belt, which is below the water line, for zero damage.

RNG directly effects the damage you do. It doesn't actually have anything to do with win rate. You can have your best 100 games ever & they all be losses or you can hide and avoid all contact with the enemy and win 100 games in a row. While highly improbable it is possible. 

Members
465 posts
4,388 battles
10 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

RNG is a communist zealot who works for WG. He is in charge of "equalizing" the skill level of players by making the game less about skill and more about dumb luck. He assigns the ration cards for your devstrikes, dispersion, fires, etc. Also he can send you detonations for not aligning with the party ideas.

Secretly, like Gorbachov, he works for some greedy capitalists enterpreneurs who seek to profit from the masses.

Rumor says that he willingly take bribes to deal extra coupon rations, but you can be sent to gulag if you speak openly about it.

RNG does not realy stand for random number generator,  Its real name is Russian nonsense generator but we are not alowed to talk about it so we say RNG :Smile_hiding: 

Edited by pepe_trueno
  • Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,914 posts
8,185 battles
18 hours ago, Im_the_Juggernaut_Beotch said:

Humans are excellent at "noticing" patterns that don't exist.

It's probably why we're as ingenious as we are. We notice these "patterns", and then do the work to prove or disprove them, in order to benefit from the knowledge.

Of course, that's not universal. Some notice behaviours, and go on to establish and quantify them, and thus learn how to best predict, accommodate, or mitigate them, while others stop at the "noticing", and rely on throwing salt over their shoulder and dancing widdershins around a sacrifice under a full moon, to reduce the effects.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,874 posts
17,913 battles

RNG is a "random number generator".  

At a "modeling" conceptual level, RNG is used to assist in the modeling of variables that are unknown or to model the inability to determine or account for variables in an activity.  

For example, in real life ship artillery, there are many variables that are simply not known in the fire solution.  Barrel wear...charge variability...tolerance variability in the size/weight of the shell, atmospherics (baro pressure, wind, rain..not just where you're at, but along the flight path), tolerance in ship roll mitigation (sea state). Those are just the few I can think of at the moment.  Even in real life, there is no way to know all these variables.

Now, take a computer model of a shell fired and in flight.  When modeling something in a computer, the only variables are those the modeler puts in the model.  All the variables I mentioned above are NOT directly modeled in WOWS.  There is no model for differences in size/weight of shells...differences in charge, atmospherics, ship roll (sea state) or any of a hundred other variables that affect the shells trajectory.  In the computer model, the shell can be computed using perfect initial conditions, known to 64 bits of accuracy (or more, if so desired)!  The shell can be propagated using simple Newtonian physics, unencumbered by atmosphere.  The entire trajectory can be PRECISELY determined, and an impact point computed to virtual micrometers.

So...how can a WOWS modeler account for all those variables without actually modeling them?  In aggregate, those variables ultimately lead to a dispersion of where the shells will land.  Instead of modeling a hundred variables, which will lead to a particular dispersion pattern, the modeler can skip all that modeling (and all the computing power and time it would take) and instead just model the dispersion pattern itself.  This can be done by giving each shell a little random "kick" as it leave the barrel.  This changes the initial conditions of the shell such that even though every shell can be projected using the exact same PERFECT newtonian trajectory model, each shell lands at a different point (determined by its initial state...with its random kick).  The modeler can tweak the random kick to get whatever end state dispersion spread is desired.  

In real world modeling, the random kick would be based on live fire tests of the weapon.  In the modeling world of WOWS, the random kick can be based on the decision of the developer. Such as giving low tier ships a much bigger kick (to add more randomness in low tiers, which mitigates seal clubbing), and smaller kicks in higher tier ships to give more weight to aiming skill as well as the need for smaller dispersion at the longer ranges.  

So...how does a computer model create a random kick to apply to each shell.  Over many years, the software industry has developed random number generators (RNG).  These are software routines that a software developer can call when a random number is needed.  In the case of WOWS, every time a shell is fired, it needs a random kick.  Somewhere in the code, it gets the value of that random kick from an RNG.  Again, the developer BOUNDS the size of this random kick in order to achieve a particular downrange dispersion.  But when the software executes in real time, it is grabbing that bounded random value from a random number generator. 

At the esoteric level, there is a philosophical (and even a technical) debate on what is "random". After all, if the computer generates the value, then is it really random?  How can it be random if the computer knows what it is?  Suffice to say, many decades of random number theory goes into the more sophisticated random number generators.  For the purpose of WOWS and its dispersion model, and its affect on what we experience in-game, we can pretty much say it's random (without getting too esoteric or technical about what is meant by random). 

Hence, when someone has that PERFECT shot lined up on the citadel of an enemy ship, fires a broadside aimed at that PERFECT point...and the shells land all around that PERFECT aim point...the firing captain exclaims multiple colorful metaphors about RNG.  Basically, the random kicks of the shells created a shotgun effect...with no shell landing on the citadel aim point.

On the flip side, one can have imperfect aim, and the random kick puts a shell on a trajectory that smacks the sweet spot.

Lastly, don't think that NOT aiming at the sweet spot is better because of the random kick.  A zero kick (a random kick that comes back zero or near zero) is one of the RNG values...so might as well put it on target and hope for the best.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,349 posts
3,781 battles
2 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Quality post

+1, should be pinned.

[1984]
Members
4,121 posts
19,874 battles
On 3/29/2020 at 6:10 AM, Im_the_Juggernaut_Beotch said:

rng is the reason you dont hit what you aim at, but cc's do hit what they aim at.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,874 posts
17,913 battles
14 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

rng is the reason you dont hit what you aim at, but cc's do hit what they aim at.

In other words, if you can cherry pic your videos, it makes you look like a hot gun.  The following video is an example.  I could play that situation a hundred or more times and I would probably not exceed the result I achieved in those opening moments.  Of course, you would never see those hundred other times because showing a bunch of shells straddling a ship at long range is ho hum normal ops. You get that every day; it's NORMAL.  It's only when I get something extraordinary is it worthy of video or posting.  As viewers only see these extraordinary videos, it makes the gamer look...well...extraordinary.  On a final note, you still gotta give RNG the CHANCE!  If I never fired, the following would NEVER have happened.  If I didn't put the enemy ship within the dispersion pattern of my shells...again, it would never happen. 

[1984]
Members
4,121 posts
19,874 battles
4 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

In other words, if you can cherry pic your videos, it makes you look like a hot gun.  The following video is an example.  I could play that situation a hundred or more times and I would probably not exceed the result I achieved in those opening moments.  Of course, you would never see those hundred other times because showing a bunch of shells straddling a ship at long range is ho hum normal ops. You get that every day; it's NORMAL.  It's only when I get something extraordinary is it worthy of video or posting.  As viewers only see these extraordinary videos, it makes the gamer look...well...extraordinary.  On a final note, you still gotta give RNG the CHANCE!  If I never fired, the following would NEVER have happened.  If I didn't put the enemy ship within the dispersion pattern of my shells...again, it would never happen. 

except the live streaming ccs always get the perfect rng. and indeed, they are streaming live. i most recently witnessed this when in a radom game with notser. i missed 3 salvos at a point blank venezia, notser dev struck him and another ship with main battery. hint, it's not the aim.

Sign in to follow this