You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SKurj

Ramming...

8 comments in this topic

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts

Curious... rammed my first ship tonight...   It was one of those... if i am going down i will takem with me..  Dev striked a nelson that sailed across my bow between myself and an enemy Iowa, and then I held my course kicked in the speed boost and as the Iowa was coming almost headon i hit it sort of at a very shallow angle and we both blew up.  I think that ram did 50k damage to him, considerably less to me as I was down to around 25-30% health at the time i think.

Curious how damage is calculated, do some ships do more damage than others?  How much damage is done?   Do both ships usually get destroyed or can one or both even survive an event (lets say 2 bb's rammed each other going slow?)  

Guessing the damage in our case was due to the headon and the closing speed.

Just wondering if there are situations where it might be advantageous and if survivable even within ship class...  (not just to get the last kill and win the game) and if there are certain ships to look out for.. etc  Guessing a BB can ram a DD and survive?

Oh and damn that JB is fun...  between speed boost and the reload booster yummy!

[RLGN]
Members
14,312 posts
25,245 battles

Thicc girl is thicc.

Bot Missou tried your ram my Yamato recently. I just absorbed the hit and hit DC.

Yes. Tiering, original health, and class all matter.

Relative speed (a closing ram from the stern or bow ram,) may also matter, as opposed to a T-bone, but I’m less sure about that.

Ram signal is another modifier, as well as a quick finger on DC.

Members
4,364 posts
11,269 battles

Each ship deals its full health in ram damage to the other ship, so it is possible for one ship to survive, although more often than not both ships will die since it's very unlikely to have two ships with such a large health pool difference ramming at the beginning of a battle (when they'd be mostly full health). There is a flag that increases the damage you do and decreases the damage you take, and there will be very low speed situations where you either take or do little to no damage (or it does damage as a DoT rather than an instantaneous burst), but for the most part each ship will always deal its full health as damage and the only way to change the damage received or dealt is through that flag (regardless of how much health there is remaining, which is how it used to be in the early days of the game).

There are definitely times where ramming is advantageous, especially if you're low health and are guaranteed to die and can take a full health large ship with you, or if it's 2v1 at the end of the game and ramming will guarantee a win. In competitive modes ramming is often going to be less advantageous, although the same situations will still apply as mentioned already. And at least on the NA server, smart ramming (i.e. not just throwing away your ship) is sometimes going to be cheered, and some people will always tend to tease/poke the other ship right before the ram occurs.

• Cool 1

Members
2,947 posts
36,754 battles

There is also inertia involved.

I had a game last year where an NC was ramming me at 1/4 ahead , but I was in my Yammy reversing. Due to the timing, I had zero damage, as he literally glided, gently touched my bow and we both moved together briefly. It took a shot to sink the ship but still no damage.

That is about as rare as it gets.

Sure there is some math involved, but I think it's based on speed of impact, point of impact, and whether that object resisted the force or yielded some of it.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,035 posts
11,611 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Relative speed (a closing ram from the stern or bow ram,) may also matter, as opposed to a T-bone, but I’m less sure about that

Way back when it used to matter - two opposing ships could collide side to side and be maybe slightly more impactful than ramming a teammate. Your bow in to a ships stern could be a slow grind down of both ships HP as you continue shooting at each other. T-bone was most effective, and doing so at full speed you could literally cut a ship in half and go through it (even a BB long as you severed the bow). Hell, a sufficient ram could actually cause a BB to break in the middle and sink in two halves and your ship/BB got brought to a dead stop. It was glorious.

And then they decoded to dumb the mechanic down to both players die 9/10 times if they barely touch. I really want the old ramming mechanics and more varied sinking animations back (as well as the debris remaining after but that could be a rating thing). It was really hilarious to see DD's ram BB's for whatever HP thy had left and snap in two.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,343 posts
19,570 battles

As always on this type of question, I suggest the Wiki as a good source of information: Ramming

Also, I was there for your double play on the Nelson and Iowa, it was good.

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
2,138 posts
22 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

As always on this type of question, I suggest the Wiki as a good source of information: Ramming

Also, I was there for your double play on the Nelson and Iowa, it was good.

That was the high point of my evening :) it went downhill after that.  i am noob who paid to get a T9... and that was like my 3rd battle in it..   it's a fun ship!

Thanks