Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

What is this thing?

9 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,375 posts
16,142 battles

Noticed this on the Trento sticking out of the hull. Can't tell if it extends below the water line but I would hope not.

(not sure if the picture is loading correctly. If not, there is a squarish looking tube on the starboard side, just forward of A turret projecting from the waterline to halfway up the hull) 

Trento-thing.JPG

Edited by Sabot_100

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
49 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Noticed this on the Trento sticking out of the hull. Can't tell if it extends below the water line but I would hope not.

(not sure if the picture is loading correctly. If not, there is a squarish looking tube on the starboard side, just forward of A turret projecting from the waterline to halfway up the hull) 

Trento-thing.JPG

it's likely a cover/outlet for an overboard drain, probably from a large crew head. It ends at the waterline, and would be open at the bottom. It's not like there's a sewage treatment plant on board ships of this era. 

I doubt it's from the hanger, as there would be one on each side.

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,459 battles

The answer to this question is always the same. Look for paravane on a search.

image.png.e930c4cff798e697dc713b9c39f25e28.png

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
36 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The answer to this question is always the same. Look for paravane on a search.

image.png.e930c4cff798e697dc713b9c39f25e28.png

A), you links broke.

B), the OP is looking at the box on the hull at the waterline, not the paravane on the barbette of B-turret.

[TBW]
Members
10,278 posts
17,459 battles
2 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

A), you links broke.

B), the OP is looking at the box on the hull at the waterline, not the paravane on the barbette of B-turret.

my guess is a garbage shoot.

[CVA16]
Members
5,375 posts
16,142 battles
4 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

it's likely a cover/outlet for an overboard drain, probably from a large crew head. It ends at the waterline, and would be open at the bottom. It's not like there's a sewage treatment plant on board ships of this era. 

I was actually going to make a joke alluding to something like this in the original post. Some sort of over-engineered porta-potty. Seems unlikely as the structure would have to be relatively armored to withstand the forces of waves and sea UNLESS it is actually a temporary add on cover used in port to shield the "dumping" from view.

Members
705 posts
5,725 battles

A quick Google search turned up this image of Trento underway and a second image of her in port, and whatever that thing is it is barely visible just below and forward of A turret.  Still no idea what it is, but apparently it wasn't used only at anchor. Interestingly enough, her sister ship Trieste does not appear to have shared this feature, as far as I can tell from my limited searching.

Trento.jpg

Trento 2.jpg

Edited by Uncle_Lou
  • Cool 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
8 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I was actually going to make a joke alluding to something like this in the original post. Some sort of over-engineered porta-potty. Seems unlikely as the structure would have to be relatively armored to withstand the forces of waves and sea UNLESS it is actually a temporary add on cover used in port to shield the "dumping" from view.

With the amount of time and money wasted on making ships look good over the years, I wouldn't doubt the expense made in something silly like this. It's not like the Royal Navy didn't skip gunnery practice back in the day because it would chip up the paint work.  Also, it's likely that the cover actually protects the check valve from large ocean waves, to keep a large wave from back flushing the system and making a rather foul mess in the head.

6 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

A quick Google search turned up this image of Trento underway and a second image of her in port, and whatever that thing is it is barely visible just below and forward of A turret.  Still no idea what it is, but apparently it wasn't used only at anchor. Interestingly enough, her sister ship Trieste does not appear to have shared this feature, as far as I can tell from my limited searching.

It may have been her sister ship ran the drain internally, and Trento's exposed drain was an oversight at design that was fixed after construction had progressed past the point where they could simply reroute it. I've dealt with enough of those on modern ships where the ships were designed in CAD and takes years to build. I can imagine it was even more common back when it was done on a drawing board and ships were built faster.

[CVA16]
Members
5,375 posts
16,142 battles

Of course as long as we are mostly just speculating, a more heroic purpose for the structure might have been to clandestinely deploy frogmen in "neutral" ports. No matter how closely your ship is being watched, nobody sees them come and go. It does seem a bit oversized and oddly shaped for a  sewage drain pipe but would fit a man sized (wearing tanks) passage with a ladder nicely. Maybe even big enough to lower one of their "chariots?" (can't remember the name for their 2 man minisubs) vertically. The sister-ship was not outfitted to do this so needed no such structure.

Sign in to follow this