Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JackSparrow_665

[VERSUS #1] American Battleships VS Japanese Battleships

29 comments in this topic

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles

Welcome to my new series called "Versus" where we will be comparing the tech tree lines of the various nations currently in World of Warships. I will try and give an unbiased opinion as to which ship line is better. I will be comparing ships based on the following criteria:

Armament

• Main Armament
  • Secondary Armament
  • Torpedoes
  • Anti-Aircraft Defense

Maneuverability

• Speed
  • Turning Radius
  • Rudder Shift Time

Concealment

• Detection Ranges
  • Smoke

Survivability

• Hit points
  • Armor
  • Torpedo Protection

Consumables

*Note: History does not count in terms of which ship is better. It's just there to help people who enjoy learning about naval history or playing historical ships.

Versus #1: American Battleships vs Japanese Battleships

Tier 3: Kawachi vs South Carolina

Armament: South Carolina

Maneuverability: Kawachi

Concealment: Kawachi

Survivability: Kawachi

Consumables: Tie

History*: Tie

Winner: Kawachi 

Reason: Kawachi is more well-rounded overall than South Carolina, although South Carolina has much better armament. South Carolina has better firing angles, range, velocity, dispersion, and AP shell damage for her main armament. South Carolina also has better AA than Kawachi, which has none, but AA is rather insignificant for tier 3. Armament aside, Kawachi has a better surface detection range, a higher top speed, and more HP, which nets her the win. 

Tier 4: Myogi vs Wyoming

Armament: Wyoming

Maneuverability: Myogi

Concealment: Wyoming

Survivability: Wyoming

Consumables: Myogi

Winner: Wyoming

Reason: While Myogi has bigger guns, better maneuverability, and more HP, Wyoming is more than a match for her. For starters, Wyoming has a broadside of 12 guns that absolutely beats Myogi's 6 guns. Although Wyoming has less HP, it has much better armor to compensate for it. Wyoming also has superior AA to Myogi, which has none. Wyoming also has better surface detectability, albeit at the cost of slightly worse aerial detectability.  Overall, Wyoming wins based on better firepower and durability.

Tier 5: Kongo vs New York

Armament: New York

Maneuverability: Kongo

Concealment: New York

Survivability: New York

Consumables: Kongo

Winner: Kongo

Reason: Based on our criteria, New York would appear to be the winner. It has more guns, slightly better concealment, much better armor, and AA. Kongo also has decent firepower, however, and great firing range, but it has 2 less guns and worse AA than New York. Kongo also has a spotting aircraft while New York doesn’t. With all of that being said, Kongo beats New York based on one factor alone: maneuverability. It can reach speeds of up to 30 knots if it is fully built for it, making it one of the fastest battleships at tier 5. Simply put, it can sail circles around New York.

Tier 6: Fuso vs New Mexico

Armament: New Mexico

Maneuverability: Fuso

Concealment: New Mexico

Survivability: New Mexico

Winner: New Mexico

Reason: Poor Fuso. Her main armament is similar to New Mexico’s because they both have 12 guns. Fuso has better dispersion, reload time, and range, while New Mexico has better firing angles. That being said, Fuso will most likely miss when firing at her maximum range of 21.8 kilometers due to her dispersion. New Mexico wins in terms of armament because she has much better AA than Fuso, who will struggle against even tier 6 aircraft. New Mexico definitely wins when it comes to survivability. It has better torpedo protection, better armor, and more HP. Fuso has slightly better speed, but overall, New Mexico wins based on AA, concealment, and durability.

Tier 7: Nagato vs Colorado

Armament: Colorado

Maneuverability: Nagato

Concealment: Colorado

Survivability: Nagato

Winner: Nagato

Reason: Nagato is better all around. Her guns shoot farther than Colorado’s guns and do more damage. She’s also significantly faster than Colorado, though she has a slower turn time. In terms of survivability, Nagato comes out on top since Colorado is extremely vulnerable to HE. Colorado does have much better AA, which is why its armament rating is higher than Nagato’s. Overall, Nagato has better durability, maneuverability, and main battery firepower.

Tier 8: Amagi vs North Carolina

Armament: North Carolina

Maneuverability: Amagi

Concealment: North Carolina

Survivability: Amagi

History*: North Carolina

Winner: North Carolina

Reason: This was a very close one for me. Amagi has great speed and maneuverability, and she also has a very tough armor scheme for a battlecruiser. She has 10 410mm guns while North Carolina has 9 406mm guns, but North Carolina’s guns have more range. She also has better concealment and a better turning radius. North Carolina has less health than Amagi, but her armor scheme is more than capable of protecting her. The one area where North Carolina blows Amagi out of the water is AA. North Carolina’s AA is unrivaled for her tier, while Amagi will to protect herself from aerial bombardments.

Tier 9: Izumo vs Iowa

Armament: Iowa

Maneuverability: Iowa

Concealment: Iowa

Survivability: Izumo

History*: Iowa

Winner: Iowa

Reason: Iowa handles better than Izumo. She has superior speed and better AA. She also has better concealment. Izumo has better armor and more powerful guns however. 

Tier 10: Yamato vs Montana

Armament: Yamato

Maneuverability: Montana

Concealment: Montana

Survivability: Yamato

History*: Yamato

Winner: Tie; Yamato

Reason: Montana and Yamato have their respective strengths and weaknesses. Montana is faster with better surface concealment. She also has 12 guns as opposed to Yamato’s 9. Yamato is tankier, however, and she has 18 inch guns that can easily overmatch Montana’s bow. Although there is no definitive winner, you should always choose Yamato because it has the Yamato gun sound. With the Yamato gun sound, you can do anything.

Premium Ships

Tier 4: Ishizuchi vs Arkansas Beta

Armament: Ishizuchi

Maneuverability: Ishizuchi

Concealment: Arkansas Beta

Survivability: Arkansas Beta

History*: Arkansas Beta

Winner: Ishizuchi

Reason: Ishizuchi is one of the best battleships at tier 4 because of her speed. She can easily reach 30 kts with the right upgrades and signal flags. Ishizuchi also has an incredibly fast reload time and good range for her tier. That being said, Arkansas Beta has a unique advantage; she has 6 upgrade slots, much more than the other ships of her tier.

Tier 5: ARP (Kongo/Kirishima/Haruna/Hiei) vs Texas

Armament: Texas

Maneuverability: ARP (Kongo/Kirishima/Haruna/Hiei)

Concealment: Texas

Survivability: Texas

Consumables: ARP (Kongo/Kirishima/Haruna/Hiei)

History*: Texas

Winner: ARP (Kongo/Kirishima/Haruna/Hiei)

Reason: The ARP ships are better all-around because of their speed. Texas is still a great battleship, but most of her stats are pretty lackluster. That being said, Texas excels in one area: AA. Texas’s AA will basically make her immune to any aerial attacks that she will face at her tier. For me, AA is more situational than speed, which is why the ARP ships are the winners.

Tier 6: Mutsu vs West Virginia

Armament: Mutsu

Maneuverability: Mutsu

Concealment: West Virginia

Survivability: West Virginia

Winner: Mutsu

Reason: Mutsu has better armament and maneuverability than West Virginia. Mutsu’s main battery does slightly more damage and shoots farther. She is also equipped with torpedo tubes which can be useful at close range. Mutsu is also significantly faster than the West Virginia. To me, it feels like West Virginia basically traded everything to get 16-inch guns. Mutsu, on the other hand, gets 16-inch guns on top of torpedo tubes, great speed, and a large hitpoint pool.

Tier 6: Mutsu vs Arizona

Concealment: Arizona

Survivability: Arizona

Reason: See above. The only major difference is that Arizona gets 12 14inch guns while West Virginia gets 8 16inch guns and Arizona is more survivable than West Virginia. Mutsu still wins because she has better speed and 16inch guns.

Tier 7: Ashikata vs California [WiP]

Armament: Ashikata

Maneuverability: Ashikata

Concealment: California

Survivability: California

History*: California

Winner: Ashikata

Reason: California is work-in-progress, meaning her stats are not final. That being said, Ashikata is better than the current version of California, in my opinion. Ashikata has 10 16-inch guns as opposed to 12 14-inch guns. Ashikata is also much faster than California, who struggles to keep up with just about any ship at her tier. That being said, California has a very unique niche. Like the Texas, the California has the best AA of her tier and can easily defend herself and the ships around her from enemy air attacks. She also has decent secondaries but they lack range. Either way, Ashikata is the better ship for most situations.

Tier 8: Kii vs Alabama

Armament: Kii

Maneuverability: Alabama

Concealment: Alabama

Survivability: Alabama

History*: Alabama

Winner: Alabama

Reason: Kii has some of the best armament for her tier, but she sacrifices a lot on handling. She has 1 more gun than Alabama and decent AA. She is also faster than Alabama and has torpedo tubes. That being said, Alabama is more maneuverable and has better concealment. She also has really good torpedo protection and better AA than Kii. It’s close, but ultimately I think Alabama is slightly better.

Tier 8: Kii vs Massachusetts

Armament: Massachusetts

Maneuverability: Massachusetts

Concealment: Massachusetts

Survivability: Massachusetts

History*: Massachusetts

Winner: Massachusetts

Reason: Massachusetts has 1 factor that tips armament to her favor: her secondaries. Up close, the Massachusetts is arguably more powerful than the Kii, although the Kii does possess more torpedoes. In terms of other stats, Massachusetts has better concealment, armor, AA, turning radius, and rudder shift time.

Tier 9: Musashi vs Missouri

Armament: Musashi

Maneuverability: Missouri

Concealment: Missouri

Survivability: Musashi

Consumables: Missouri

Winner: Musashi

Reason: Before you go hating on me, hear me out. Between Missouri and Musashi, it was a tough pick. Missouri is an excellent ship. She has great speed, AA, main battery, and maneuverability, and she is equipped with the Surveillance Radar Consumable. That being said, Musashi wins through brute force. She has 18 inch guns and a considerably larger HP pool. She also has better armor than the Missouri (in fact, the Musashi actually has better armor than the Yamato). Musashi is effectively a tier 10 ship with crappy AA. In terms of raw power, Musashi comes out on top. That being said, the Trump Wagon is probably the single best credit/XP earner in WOWS.

Tier 9: Musashi vs Georgia

Maneuverability: Georgia

Concealment: Georgia

History*: Musashi

Reason: Georgia is a pretty gimmicky ship. She is fast and has a great heal. That being said, Musashi once again powers through. Musashi has 9 18-inch guns as opposed to Georgia’s 6. She also has much better armor and is overall more tanky. Georgia is much faster, but Musashi is simply on another level.

Tier 10: Shikishima [WiP] vs Ohio

Armament: Ohio

Maneuverability: Shikishima

Concealment: Ohio

Survivability: Ohio

Winner: Ohio

Reason: Ohio just feels better overall. Her battery of 8 18-inch guns are less likely to overpen than Shikishima’s 20-inch guns, plus there are 2 more of them. Ohio also has slightly better speed, but a much worse turning radius. I’m assuming Shikishima will have a similar armor scheme to Yamato, and for me personally, Ohio has the better armor scheme. Overall, Ohio seems to be more useable than Shikishima in most situations.

Thank you for sitting through this incredibly long post. Hopefully this post was helpful. This series is supposed to give a basic overview as to which ship is better and I'm not going in depth with all of the stats since you can look them up yourself. I try not to be biased, but a lot of these are based on my own opinion, so it's OK to disagree. If there are any line comparisons you want me to do, you can write them below. These posts take a really long time to make though.

Edited by JackSparrow_665
  • Cool 7
  • Funny 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,822 posts
6,038 battles

The flaw in your system is that you rank each trait equally.  For example, South Carolina is much better than Kawachi because the places South Carolina is better than Kawachi are more important than the places where Kawachi is better than South Carolina.

• Cool 3

[NFJF]
Members
707 posts
10,925 battles

As far as Yamato V Montana, I think that one really has to come down to player preference. Sure if she's bow in, Yamato is better at soaking up damage. Get around her side though, and she's usually dead. You can also do a lot of damage to her from the front if you know where to aim to hit the flat "cheeks" on her front citadel. Montana's citadel is even with the waterline, which means that at anything other than close range, most people will have a hard time hitting it outside of getting lucky. I'll mainly take Montana over yamato any day because of versatility. Montana can be effective in multiple circumstances, where Yamato is only really good at going bow in and sniping. Even at sniping, Montana is still great if you're used to USN ballistics. Also if you do the math, despite having smaller guns, Montana's maximum potential alpha strike is just under 30k higher than Yamato "162000 hp V 133200 hp." Don't get me wrong, Yamato is great at what she does, but I just find her play style to be very stagnant and boring. I'm the kind of BB player that likes to be more involved with the game and not sitting back at long range and sniping all game. Like I said, it comes down to player preference. 

Edited by admiralsexybeast

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles

You've played 484 battles and were able to gather this much data and write a full synopsis about how each ship would perform against each other? Did you actually take those ships into battle and play them yourself or are you basing this off of other players input? If your'e  looking at just base numbers on specs that's not really a good criteria. You have to adjust for captains skills  and what ship they are in. I'll take my tier 6 Fuso with a 19 point captain against a tier 8 Bismarck with 6 point captain any day.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,314 posts
6,622 battles
5 hours ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

Welcome to my new series called "Versus" where we will be comparing the tech tree lines of the various nations currently in World of Warships. I will try and give an unbiased opinion as to which ship line is better. I will be comparing ships based on the following criteria:

Armament

• Main Armament
  • Secondary Armament
  • Torpedoes
  • Anti-Aircraft Defense

Maneuverability

• Speed
  • Turning Radius
  • Rudder Shift Time

Concealment

• Detection Ranges
  • Smoke

Survivability

• Hit points
  • Armor
  • Torpedo Protection

Consumables

*Note: History does not count in terms of which ship is better. It's just there to help people who enjoy learning about naval history or playing historical ships.

Versus #1: American Battleships vs Japanese Battleships

Tier 3: Kawachi vs South Carolina

Armament: South Carolina

Maneuverability: Kawachi

Concealment: Kawachi

Survivability: Kawachi

Winner: Kawachi 

Reason: Kawachi is more well-rounded overall than South Carolina, although South Carolina has much better armament. South Carolina has better firing angles, range, velocity, dispersion, and AP shell damage for her main armament. South Carolina also has better AA than Kawachi, which has none, but AA is rather insignificant for tier 3. Armament aside, Kawachi has a better surface detection range, a higher top speed, and more HP, which nets her the win. 

Tier 4: Myogi vs Wyoming

Armament: Wyoming

Maneuverability: Myogi

Concealment: Wyoming

Survivability: Wyoming

Consumables: Myogi

Winner: Wyoming

Reason: While Myogi has bigger guns, better maneuverability, and more HP, Wyoming is more than a match for her. For starters, Wyoming has a broadside of 12 guns that absolutely beats Myogi's 6 guns. Although Wyoming has less HP, it has much better armor to compensate for it. Wyoming also has superior AA to Myogi, which has none. Wyoming also has better surface detectability, albeit at the cost of slightly worse aerial detectability.  Overall, Wyoming wins based on better firepower and durability.

Tier 5: Kongo vs New York

Armament: New York

Maneuverability: Kongo

Concealment: New York

Survivability: New York

Consumables: Kongo

Winner: Kongo

Reason: Based on our criteria, New York would appear to be the winner. It has more guns, slightly better concealment, much better armor, and AA. Kongo also has decent firepower, however, and great firing range, but it has 2 less guns and worse AA than New York. Kongo also has a spotting aircraft while New York doesn’t. With all of that being said, Kongo beats New York based on one factor alone: maneuverability. It can reach speeds of up to 30 knots if it is fully built for it, making it one of the fastest battleships at tier 5. Simply put, it can sail circles around New York.

Tier 6: Fuso vs New Mexico

Armament: New Mexico

Maneuverability: Fuso

Concealment: New Mexico

Survivability: New Mexico

Winner: New Mexico

Reason: Poor Fuso. Her main armament is similar to New Mexico’s because they both have 12 guns. Fuso has better dispersion, reload time, and range, while New Mexico has better firing angles. That being said, Fuso will most likely miss when firing at her maximum range of 21.8 kilometers due to her dispersion. New Mexico wins in terms of armament because she has much better AA than Fuso, who will struggle against even tier 6 aircraft. New Mexico definitely wins when it comes to survivability. It has better torpedo protection, better armor, and more HP. Fuso has slightly better speed, but overall, New Mexico wins based on AA, concealment, and durability.

Tier 7: Nagato vs Colorado

Armament: Colorado

Maneuverability: Nagato

Concealment: Colorado

Survivability: Nagato

Winner: Nagato

Reason: Nagato is better all around. Her guns shoot farther than Colorado’s guns and do more damage. She’s also significantly faster than Colorado, though she has a slower turn time. In terms of survivability, Nagato comes out on top since Colorado is extremely vulnerable to HE. Colorado does have much better AA, which is why its armament rating is higher than Nagato’s. Overall, Nagato has better durability, maneuverability, and main battery firepower.

Tier 8: Amagi vs North Carolina

Armament: North Carolina

Maneuverability: Amagi

Concealment: North Carolina

Survivability: Amagi

History*: North Carolina

Winner: North Carolina

Reason: This was a very close one for me. Amagi has great speed and maneuverability, and she also has a very tough armor scheme for a battlecruiser. She has 10 410mm guns while North Carolina has 9 406mm guns, but North Carolina’s guns have more range. She also has better concealment and a better turning radius. North Carolina has less health than Amagi, but her armor scheme is more than capable of protecting her. The one area where North Carolina blows Amagi out of the water is AA. North Carolina’s AA is unrivaled for her tier, while Amagi will to protect herself from aerial bombardments.

Survivability: Iowa

Reason: Iowa is definitive winner between these two ships. She is faster and has better armor. Iowa’s main battery may not hit as hard, but she has better range and much better AA. Iowa also has better concealment than Izumo. In conclusion, Iowa outclasses Izumo in every way possible.

Tier 10: Yamato vs Montana

Armament: Yamato

Maneuverability: Montana

Concealment: Montana

Survivability: Yamato

History*: Yamato

Winner: Tie; Yamato

Reason: Montana and Yamato have their respective strengths and weaknesses. Montana is faster with better surface concealment. She also has 12 guns as opposed to Yamato’s 9. Yamato is tankier, however, and she has 18 inch guns that can easily overmatch Montana’s bow. Although there is no definitive winner, you should always choose Yamato because it has the Yamato gun sound. With the Yamato gun sound, you can do anything.

Premium Ships

Tier 4: Ishizuchi vs Arkansas Beta

Armament: Ishizuchi

Maneuverability: Ishizuchi

Concealment: Arkansas Beta

Survivability: Arkansas Beta

History*: Arkansas Beta

Winner: Ishizuchi

Reason: Ishizuchi is one of the best battleships at tier 4 because of her speed. She can easily reach 30 kts with the right upgrades and signal flags. Ishizuchi also has an incredibly fast reload time and good range for her tier. That being said, Arkansas Beta has a unique advantage; she has 6 upgrade slots, much more than the other ships of her tier.

Tier 5: ARP (Kongo/Kirishima/Haruna/Hiei) vs Texas

Armament: Texas

Maneuverability: ARP (Kongo/Kirishima/Haruna/Hiei)

Concealment: Texas

Survivability: Texas

Consumables: ARP (Kongo/Kirishima/Haruna/Hiei)

History*: Texas

Winner: ARP (Kongo/Kirishima/Haruna/Hiei)

Reason: The ARP ships are better all-around because of their speed. Texas is still a great battleship, but most of her stats are pretty lackluster. That being said, Texas excels in one area: AA. Texas’s AA will basically make her immune to any aerial attacks that she will face at her tier. For me, AA is more situational than speed, which is why the ARP ships are the winners.

Tier 6: Mutsu vs West Virginia

Concealment: West Virginia

Survivability: West Virginia

Reason: Mutsu has better armament and maneuverability than West Virginia. Mutsu’s main battery does slightly more damage and shoots farther. She is also equipped with torpedo tubes which can be useful at close range. Mutsu is also significantly faster than the West Virginia. To me, it feels like West Virginia basically traded everything to get 16-inch guns. Mutsu, on the other hand, gets 16-inch guns on top of torpedo tubes, great speed, and a large hitpoint pool.

Tier 6: Mutsu vs Arizona

Concealment: Arizona

Survivability: Arizona

Reason: See above. The only major difference is that Arizona gets 12 14inch guns while West Virginia gets 8 16inch guns and Arizona is more survivable than West Virginia. Mutsu still wins because she has better speed and 16inch guns.

Tier 7: Ashikata vs California [WiP]

Armament: Ashikata

Maneuverability: Ashikata

Concealment: California

Survivability: California

History*: California

Winner: Ashikata

Reason: California is work-in-progress, meaning her stats are not final. That being said, Ashikata is better than the current version of California, in my opinion. Ashikata has 10 16-inch guns as opposed to 12 14-inch guns. Ashikata is also much faster than California, who struggles to keep up with just about any ship at her tier. That being said, California has a very unique niche. Like the Texas, the California has the best AA of her tier and can easily defend herself and the ships around her from enemy air attacks. She also has decent secondaries but they lack range. Either way, Ashikata is the better ship for most situations.

Tier 8: Kii vs Alabama

Armament: Kii

Maneuverability: Alabama

Concealment: Alabama

Survivability: Alabama

History*: Alabama

Winner: Alabama

Reason: Kii has some of the best armament for her tier, but she sacrifices a lot on handling. She has 1 more gun than Alabama and decent AA. She is also faster than Alabama and has torpedo tubes. That being said, Alabama is more maneuverable and has better concealment. She also has really good torpedo protection and better AA than Kii. It’s close, but ultimately I think Alabama is slightly better.

Tier 8: Kii vs Massachusetts

Armament: Massachusetts

Maneuverability: Massachusetts

Concealment: Massachusetts

Survivability: Massachusetts

History*: Massachusetts

Winner: Massachusetts

Reason: Massachusetts has 1 factor that tips armament to her favor: her secondaries. Up close, the Massachusetts is arguably more powerful than the Kii, although the Kii does possess more torpedoes. In terms of other stats, Massachusetts has better concealment, armor, AA, turning radius, and rudder shift time.

Tier 9: Musashi vs Missouri

Maneuverability: Missouri

Concealment: Missouri

Consumables: Missouri

Reason: Before you go hating on me, hear me out. Between Missouri and Musashi, it was a tough pick. Missouri is an excellent ship. She has great speed, AA, main battery, and maneuverability, and she is equipped with the Surveillance Radar Consumable. That being said, Musashi wins through brute force. She has 18 inch guns and a considerably larger HP pool. She also has better armor than the Missouri (in fact, the Musashi actually has better armor than the Yamato). Musashi is effectively a tier 10 ship with crappy AA. In terms of raw power, Musashi comes out on top. That being said, the Trump Wagon is probably the single best credit/XP earner in WOWS.

Reason: Georgia is a pretty gimmicky ship. She is fast and has a great heal. That being said, Musashi once again powers through. Musashi has 9 18-inch guns as opposed to Georgia’s 6. She also has much better armor and is overall more tanky. Georgia is much faster, but Musashi is simply on another level.

Tier 10: Shikishima [WiP] vs Ohio

Armament: Ohio

Maneuverability: Shikishima

Concealment: Ohio

Survivability: Ohio

Winner: Ohio

Reason: Ohio just feels better overall. Her battery of 8 18-inch guns are less likely to overpen than Shikishima’s 20-inch guns, plus there are 2 more of them. Ohio also has slightly better speed, but a much worse turning radius. I’m assuming Shikishima will have a similar armor scheme to Yamato, and for me personally, Ohio has the better armor scheme. Overall, Ohio seems to be more useable than Shikishima in most situations.

Thank you for sitting through this incredibly long post. Hopefully this post was helpful. This series is supposed to give a basic overview as to which ship is better and I'm not going in depth with all of the stats since you can look them up yourself. I try not to be biased, but a lot of these are based on my own opinion, so it's OK to disagree. If there are any line comparisons you want me to do, you can write them below. These posts take a really long time to make though.

Great effort, thank you!!! 

[KIA-C]
Members
3,693 posts
16,254 battles
9 hours ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

Survivability: Iowa

Reason: Iowa is definitive winner between these two ships. She is faster and has better armor. Iowa’s main battery may not hit as hard, but she has better range and much better AA. Iowa also has better concealment than Izumo. In conclusion, Iowa outclasses Izumo in every way possible.

Wrong.

Izumo has way better armement than Iowa. From the accucary to penetration, her armement is way supperior to Iowa. Her armour is also quite strong, especially thanks to her almost non existant superstructure as well as the 57mm deck armour. To say Iowa outclass Izumo in every way possible is just wrong.

9 hours ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

Yes and no.

If we're facing a lot of BB then Musashi has the edge over Georgia but if it's "normal" MM, then Georgia beats Musashi. Musashi main selling points are her guns but the ship is inconsistent. Georgia has guns that just crap on every cruiser armor of her tier, has speed, secondaries, AA, fast heal and supercruiser accuracy.  I won't go into the "how many heavy BB game there are" argument, but depending on the MM, Georgia can either be an ok pick or straight up the best pick.

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles
10 hours ago, admiralsexybeast said:

As far as Yamato V Montana, I think that one really has to come down to player preference. Sure if she's bow in, Yamato is better at soaking up damage. Get around her side though, and she's usually dead. You can also do a lot of damage to her from the front if you know where to aim to hit the flat "cheeks" on her front citadel. Montana's citadel is even with the waterline, which means that at anything other than close range, most people will have a hard time hitting it outside of getting lucky. I'll mainly take Montana over yamato any day because of versatility. Montana can be effective in multiple circumstances, where Yamato is only really good at going bow in and sniping. Even at sniping, Montana is still great if you're used to USN ballistics. Also if you do the math, despite having smaller guns, Montana's maximum potential alpha strike is just under 30k higher than Yamato "162000 hp V 133200 hp." Don't get me wrong, Yamato is great at what she does, but I just find her play style to be very stagnant and boring. I'm the kind of BB player that likes to be more involved with the game and not sitting back at long range and sniping all game. Like I said, it comes down to player preference. 

That's why I put it down as a tie. There is no definitive answer to which ship is better.

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles
1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Wrong.

Izumo has way better armement than Iowa. From the accucary to penetration, her armement is way supperior to Iowa. Her armour is also quite strong, especially thanks to her almost non existant superstructure as well as the 57mm deck armour. To say Iowa outclass Izumo in every way possible is just wrong.

I mentioned that Iowa's main battery doesn't hit as hard. Armament involves more than just main battery firepower. If you look at my criteria, you can see that it involves secondaries, AA, torpedoes, and main battery armament. While Izumo has larger guns, she lacks the AA that Iowa has. In terms of armor, they're pretty close but I gave the edge to Iowa because she has stronger stern armor and better citadel protection. I'm not sure why you took "To say Iowa outclass Izumo in every way possible is just wrong" so literally. Yes Izumo does some things better than Iowa, but Iowa definitely outclasses her.

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles
9 hours ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

You've played 484 battles and were able to gather this much data and write a full synopsis about how each ship would perform against each other? Did you actually take those ships into battle and play them yourself or are you basing this off of other players input? If your'e  looking at just base numbers on specs that's not really a good criteria. You have to adjust for captains skills  and what ship they are in. I'll take my tier 6 Fuso with a 19 point captain against a tier 8 Bismarck with 6 point captain any day.

I've played 5k on my Steam account. However, that was roughly 2 years ago so it would not be the most accurate information. I had to take a look at the smaller statistics, the armor layout, and I got to try a few ships on my friend's account that I do not currently have. As for captain skills, they are very important, but separate from the ship. There's no way to effectively rank a ship along with captain skills. Captain skills are kind of up to the player and how they want to play. I'm just here to compare the ships.

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles
11 hours ago, Helstrem said:

The flaw in your system is that you rank each trait equally.  For example, South Carolina is much better than Kawachi because the places South Carolina is better than Kawachi are more important than the places where Kawachi is better than South Carolina.

First of all, there is no right or wrong answer to which ship is better. South Carolina is not necessarily better than Kawachi. That being said, South Carolina is only better in terms of armament. Other categories such as armor, speed, turning radius, and concealment are also important. From what I can see, armament is the only place where South Carolina is better than Kawachi, whereas Kawachi has better handling and armor characteristics, so Kawachi is still slightly better in my books.

[UN1]
Members
1,340 posts
4,215 battles
22 minutes ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

I mentioned that Iowa's main battery doesn't hit as hard. Armament involves more than just main battery firepower. If you look at my criteria, you can see that it involves secondaries, AA, torpedoes, and main battery armament. While Izumo has larger guns, she lacks the AA that Iowa has. In terms of armor, they're pretty close but I gave the edge to Iowa because she has stronger stern armor and better citadel protection. I'm not sure why you took "To say Iowa outclass Izumo in every way possible is just wrong" so literally. Yes Izumo does some things better than Iowa, but Iowa definitely outclasses her.

With the exception of AA, the Izumo's armament massively outclasses the Iowa in every category. It's not even close; she's had her dispersion buffed and her penetration is now in 18" territory. The Izumo also has very good secondaries and is technically viable as a brawler build, whereas the Iowa does not. Her armor profile is also better in every way, too, boasting a non-existent superstructure, thicker armor belt, thicker upper deck armor, thicker turret face plating, and even a pseudo-turtleback.  All except for barbette protection where she is weak.

Where the Iowa wins is speed, ruddershift, AA, firing angles, and concealment. She also has a better heal. But she can't touch the firepower and protection of the Izumo. 

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Georgia > Musashi but overall tie because they are just too different.

Iowa > Izumo if agility is King in low tiers then it should matter just as much at top. Hitting a little harder and a little more survivability is great and all when toe to toe but when you have 5 cruisers spamming HE 18km across the map you really need concealment and agility.  If we are considering AA against planes we need to also consider other third party threats as well. Besides Iowa can also reverse at 60knots.

Other than that, well done.

Edited by thebigblue

[NONE]
Members
3,778 posts
11,406 battles
12 hours ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

Although there is no definitive winner, you should always choose Yamato because it has the Yamato gun sound. With the Yamato gun sound, you can do anything.

To be fair, GK also has Yamato Gun Sound. Just ask @Eurobeat :Smile_teethhappy:

[NMKJT]
Members
3,071 posts
8,316 battles
4 hours ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

Iowa's armor is vastly inferior to Izumo's, especially the citadel protection. Izumo is the only T9 BB that's ever trolled my Geo when I brawl it. Meanwhile Iowas and MOs are easy kills for GA if it gets that close, same with Musashis.

It's always easier to citadel an Iowa with most any BB, meanwhile Izumo can get away with showing less of an angle to other BBs across the board, even though her citadel is raised a bit it's far better protected.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

Members
2,857 posts
9,224 battles
7 hours ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

I've played 5k on my Steam account. However, that was roughly 2 years ago so it would not be the most accurate information. I had to take a look at the smaller statistics, the armor layout, and I got to try a few ships on my friend's account that I do not currently have. As for captain skills, they are very important, but separate from the ship. There's no way to effectively rank a ship along with captain skills. Captain skills are kind of up to the player and how they want to play. I'm just here to compare the ships.

Fair enough then. You took time to write this and that means you did put work into it. And I read it three times. Good observations captain

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles
3 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Iowa's armor is vastly inferior to Izumo's, especially the citadel protection. Izumo is the only T9 BB that's ever trolled my Geo when I brawl it. Meanwhile Iowas and MOs are easy kills for GA if it gets that close, same with Musashis.

It's always easier to citadel an Iowa with most any BB, meanwhile Izumo can get away with showing less of an angle to other BBs across the board, even though her citadel is raised a bit it's far better protected.

I stand corrected then. Izumo was one of the ships I did not get to try out since my friend didn't have it in his port.

[NOVEL]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,955 battles

I disagree with the Arkansas vs. Ichizuchi

The T9 modules make a big difference. The Ark Beta has 1.4km longer range for her main battery, 2.5km more range for secondaries and is down to a spotting range of 11km. With the same captain build, the Ichizuchi is still at 13.3km. 

Yes, her ruddershift is 2 sec fast and her speed is higher, but you can outrange any T4 BB with her.

[_BDA_]
Members
145 posts
3,681 battles

I would argue that West Virginia 1941 and Arizona rate better than Mutsu in the Armaments department. The reason being that Mutsu uses the Type 88 shells which are vastly inferior to those found on Nagato, Amagi, Ashitaka & Kii. They have comparable pen to the 15 inch guns on Warspite/Queen Elizabeth(which is bad) and are more likely to shatter due to there horrible Krupp value. Plus, her torpedoes have terrible firing angles and are painfully short ranged(compounded by the fact that her armor scheme means that you don't want to be in range to use them against other battleships). 

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

I disagree with the Arkansas vs. Ichizuchi

The T9 modules make a big difference. The Ark Beta has 1.4km longer range for her main battery, 2.5km more range for secondaries and is down to a spotting range of 11km. With the same captain build, the Ichizuchi is still at 13.3km. 

Yes, her ruddershift is 2 sec fast and her speed is higher, but you can outrange any T4 BB with her.

Ishizuchi has a base range of 15.3 km. She also also has 4.8 seconds faster rudder shift time. You have to realize that she can go 30 kts at tier 4. That is unmatched for her tier. As for upgrades, they don't count in my criteria because they are up to the player. 

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles
47 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

I would argue that West Virginia 1941 and Arizona rate better than Mutsu in the Armaments department. The reason being that Mutsu uses the Type 88 shells which are vastly inferior to those found on Nagato, Amagi, Ashitaka & Kii. They have comparable pen to the 15 inch guns on Warspite/Queen Elizabeth(which is bad) and are more likely to shatter due to there horrible Krupp value. Plus, her torpedoes have terrible firing angles and are painfully short ranged(compounded by the fact that her armor scheme means that you don't want to be in range to use them against other battleships). 

Well, Arizona has 14-inch guns. West Virginia has a better main battery, but she lacks torpedoes and has worse AA and secondaries. Yes, Mutsu's torpedoes have terrible firing angles but they're there if you ever need it. Same with her AA and secondaries.

[_BDA_]
Members
145 posts
3,681 battles

Arizona's 14 inch guns actually have better pen than Mutsu's 16 inch guns. You have a point in that those torps are useful but they aren't going to come into play often and I'd rather have a better main battery than an okay main batter and torps.

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles
6 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Arizona's 14 inch guns actually have better pen than Mutsu's 16 inch guns. You have a point in that those torps are useful but they aren't going to come into play often and I'd rather have a better main battery than an okay main batter and torps.

Currently, I have no way of testing Arizona pen as neither my friend nor I have one. That being said, it doesn't change anything. Mutsu is still the better ship. 

[KIA-C]
Members
3,693 posts
16,254 battles
11 hours ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

I gave the edge to Iowa because she has stronger stern armor and better citadel protection.

Izumo showing broadside can get away with it while Iowa giving broadside will mostly lose half if not all her HP.

11 hours ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

I'm not sure why you took "To say Iowa outclass Izumo in every way possible is just wrong" so literally. Yes Izumo does some things better than Iowa, but Iowa definitely outclasses her.

Because this is just wrong. While it's true that Iowa has better AA, speed and stern protection, those aren't really relevant as far as BB ranking goes. Stern protection doesn't really matters, it's not like BB loses their rudder a lot, AA is a nice thing but completely irrelevant if there's no CV. The overall armour is more or less the same but Izumo has no superstructure, a 57mm deck armour and a citadel that can be trollish to hit.

And then we comes to the main guns that are just better than Iowa.

The only things Iowa really beats Izumo is AA and speed, but Izumo beats Iowa in almost everything a BB is supposed to do: dealing damage and taking shots. 

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
543 battles
1 minute ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Izumo showing broadside can get away with it while Iowa giving broadside will mostly lose half if not all her HP.

An Izumo showing broadside is gonna get punished HARD as well. Maybe not as hard as the Iowa. Your not really supposed to be showing broadside in any ship. Izumo does have more armor, but she's also a bigger, slower target.

3 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Izumo's main battery has a few major problems. The firing angles are terrible and the dispersion isn't great as well. On paper, Izumo should be able to devastate enemies, but more often than not, she simply sucks at hitting things. Getting all of your turrets on target is a pain in the neck as well. While Iowa's main battery may not do as much damage or penetrate as much armor, it's more accurate and has a longer range. 

5 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Because this is just wrong. While it's true that Iowa has better AA, speed and stern protection, those aren't really relevant as far as BB ranking goes. Stern protection doesn't really matters, it's not like BB loses their rudder a lot, AA is a nice thing but completely irrelevant if there's no CV. The overall armour is more or less the same but Izumo has no superstructure, a 57mm deck armour and a citadel that can be trollish to hit.

The only things Iowa really beats Izumo is AA and speed, but Izumo beats Iowa in almost everything a BB is supposed to do: dealing damage and taking shots. 

I can still safely say that Iowa is the better ship. She has better handling stats than Izumo. For example, she has a faster rudder shift time and better concealment. In terms of survivability, Iowa can still bow-tank effectively and she can definitely take hits when angled properly. Sure if your showing perfect broadside you will get punished, but that most likely means you positioned your ship terribly. Throughout my ratings, speed has been a very important factor because it allows you to position better. Iowa's speed combined with its decent survivability and armament means that it can change flanks and reposition itself effectively whereas Izumo simply can't. 

Sign in to follow this