Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_djv4ZCNmZ56F

Question about angling and overmatch Colorado Vs Nagato

6 comments in this topic

Members
648 posts

Hi,

I understanding that the overmatch formula is 14.3:1 for overmatch. Since Colorado has 406mm guns and Nagato has 26mm bow and side plating, it seems like no amount of angling would bounce a Colorado volley. However, I just watched a video in which Flamu does that very thing. He steeply angles and the Colorado shoots his side plating for no damage. This makes me feel like there is more to angling and overmatch than I currently understand. Thanks for any replies.

Heres the link to the video. The part in question happens at 18:10-18:40

Edited by anonym_djv4ZCNmZ56F
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,393 posts
10,021 battles

When the ship is straight on, you're overmatching the bow plating.

Notice that when the Colorado shoots him, it's hitting aft of the bow section, and bouncing off the belt (or penning the torpedo protection) for no damage.

By angling, although rounds still can go through the bow, the belt armour hides some of the citadel, plus angles the forward citadel bulkhead, increasing effective thickness.

What can also happen, (usually at longer range though) is that an enemy will go bow-on, "baiting" you into shooting, and then angle as you fire, and because the ship "pivots" around the center, when the shells arrive, they hit angled belt instead of overmatching the bow.

• Cool 3

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,806 battles

The Colorado shot at the angled Nagato and hit right next to the second turret.

If you take away the torpedo protection of the Nagato in the armour viewer:

shot-20_03.29_11_36.40-0308.thumb.jpg.4570a39ceff584cf901ddc0d992be293.jpg

The Colo didn't hit the 26mm armour that it can overmatch, but rather hit a section of the main armour belt. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,906 posts
25,782 battles

It was a good post to bring up OP and I'm sure something people have run across but were never sure why what happened, happened.

Know what your guns can and can't do against a given target's protection and take advantage of it, place the shells where they'll do best against.

People also need to know that savvy opponents will try to bait shots to be fired into where their ship can capably defend against the attack.  A Cruiser or Battleship player may show enough sides where it looks like a juicy opportunity to Citadel them, but the angle is actually good enough that with a bit of turning as the shells are in the air, the shells arrive at bounce angles.  I've seen Iowas protect themselves from Yamatos by maneuvering, showing a bit of juicy sides that the Yammie player goes for "the killer broadside" with AP... But the Iowa was sailing fast enough, anticipated the attack, started turning so that the shells arrive and hit the armor belt at angles to get bounced.  If Yamato went for the bow instead, would have been a better attack as her 460mm AP would have Overmatched the 32mm bow of Iowa.

Hell, that exact same thing happened to me when I was a new player and got my first Tier X ship, Yamato.  All I heard was that my 460s should have sh*t on USN BB armor, but I didn't know the finer points on going around that.  The scenario above happened to me, confused me, and I wondered why for a long time until piecing enough information on the forums.

What you see at that point in time from your scope looks like a good shot, but by the time the shells arrive, the opponent anticipated it and maneuvered in a way to tank the attack and mitigate the damage.

This is actually often done by Cruiser players even against Battleship players.  Anticipation, timing, and proper angle has to be right.  Do it right and you may bounce the big attack.  Do it wrong and you're eating massive AP Citadel hits. 

Even Battleships can capably do this against each other if the range is long enough, where the shells hang in the air with enough time that the BB can drastically change their profile presented to the attacker.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,687 posts
27,443 battles

What drove me nuts once was watch my Georgia bounce a shell off a bow on Chappy...

...that was some serious ‘DA HECK?!?’

Sign in to follow this