You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Hawkins: is it a pirate galleon? an armed trawler? a tug?

17 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
6,953 posts
5,510 battles

First let me be clear, I do enjoy this odd thing of a ship. It is slow, feels fat, guns are like T-Rex arms that throws candy balls, you can defiantly spit 2 torp on the enemiy's face, it is tone deaf, doesn't smoke. This ship looks like taken from a Mel Brooks movie, and for some reason I end up involved in absurd and hilarious situations almost every time I sail this ship. I've chased a reversing bow on US CL for minutes on, ran over a DD trying to torp me, boarded a Gneis and watch the green CV follow me into a cap at match start. It is like a magnet for absurdity... and it is tons of fun.

After half its short grind, I still don't know how to play this ship, what to make of it, what is its role. I've sometimes played it like a pirate galleon, laying in ambush behind some island until some careless merchant comes near, then jumping on it yelling ARGHH! unloading my full broadside of smoothbores and spiting a torp on its face to scare the poor buggers and hope they surrender. Sometimes I play like little Wilbur the lapdog, trailing my green big badass Battleships and cheering him with some fireworks display and festive carronades. Other times, I end up playing hide & seek around an island, often when left stranded deep within enemy waters.

I will gladly receive counsel from my fellow captains on understanding what is the true nature of this chubby merry boat.

• Funny 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,876 posts
14,882 battles

It is an odd ship to say the least and being tier 5 does not have access to rudder shift upgrade modules which it really needs but to get the most out of her you have to wiggle a lot.

Edited by BrushWolf

[SALVO]
Members
6,953 posts
5,510 battles
25 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

It is a transport ship for tea, sugar, and milk.

Then I'm not the pirate... I'm the merchantman

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
3,290 posts
26,945 battles

That's the only British cruiser I hate its a terrible ship to operate...…………..   

[SGSS]
Members
5,746 posts
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

First let me be clear, I do enjoy this odd thing of a ship. It is slow, feels fat, guns are like T-Rex arms that throws candy balls, you can defiantly spit 2 torp on the enemiy's face, it is tone deaf, doesn't smoke. This ship looks like taken from a Mel Brooks movie, and for some reason I end up involved in absurd and hilarious situations almost every time I sail this ship. I've chased a reversing bow on US CL for minutes on, ran over a DD trying to torp me, boarded a Gneis and watch the green CV follow me into a cap at match start. It is like a magnet for absurdity... and it is tons of fun.

After half its short grind, I still don't know how to play this ship, what to make of it, what is its role. I've sometimes played it like a pirate galleon, laying in ambush behind some island until some careless merchant comes near, then jumping on it yelling ARGHH! unloading my full broadside of smoothbores and spiting a torp on its face to scare the poor buggers and hope they surrender. Sometimes I play like little Wilbur the lapdog, trailing my green big badass Battleships and cheering him with some fireworks display and festive carronades. Other times, I end up playing hide & seek around an island, often when left stranded deep within enemy waters.

I will gladly receive counsel from my fellow captains on understanding what is the true nature of this chubby merry boat.

What ship?

Members
4,003 posts
14,515 battles

I played it like a Omaha.

I couldnt play more than 15 games, it was a chore. Performance, I could get it to work; but in general it's my least liked T5=> Cruiser.

bleh.jpg

[SALVO]
Members
6,953 posts
5,510 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Sounds like a fun ship

Oh, it is a barrel o' fun

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,853 posts
25,782 battles
3 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

It is a transport ship for tea, sugar, and milk.

George Washington in a car absolutely makes this. - Imgur

At least Hawkins is doing better than Emerald :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Funny 2

Members
674 posts
5,358 battles
2 hours ago, Tachnechdorus said:

That's the only British cruiser I hate its a terrible ship to operate...…………..   

the design is terrible, if only the citadel was not so freaking big it would be a pretty decent ship with its troltastic armor for its tier

olso i dont know many t5 ships that can troll CVs like the hawking

shot-20_03.07_22_59.54-0780.thumb.jpg.3ecf0361aebd00b21deaab00ae1c67e4.jpg

[SGSS]
Members
5,746 posts
2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Oh, it is a barrel o' fun

I only have the London heavy. Been working on the Italian and redoing the Brit cv and us lines. 

Its good to hear good news

[ARGSY]
Members
23,378 posts
17,307 battles

Per D.K. Brown (in The Grand Fleet), the Hawkins class was designed to kill German commerce raiders, either light cruisers or incognito raiders. Her natural prey is Karlsruhe or Emden, and she needs to be seen in that light.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,953 posts
5,510 battles

So has come the moment I finished my voyages in the Hawkins, time to share the loot and enlist for a new cruise.

I've come to like and enjoy her very much, she is by all means a grog drinking, parrot wielding, swashbuckling pirate galleon. As such, I found the following rules useful in my travels:

• You must fight broadside. What did you expect from a galleon? you won't be catching any loot by only using your chasers. You must be brave and bold to be a successful pirate, embrace the life of high risk/high reward. You also use cunning and guile to attack by surprise and ambush your prey, full guns blazing. A smart and successful pirate also knows when is better to turn tail and run, no shame in living to plunder another day.
  • You need a safe haven. Every pirate needs a place to count the coins and drink the grog he plundered, the law invariably will be coming to hang you. For such moments is very important to have hard cover for your ship, a beautiful tropical island you can hide behind is fundamental if you expect to live long enough to drink your next rum bottle. Even your parrot knows this, always have a way to cover your retreat if the law comes looking for you.
  • You are despicable. Yes, most captains, specially those with big shiny newer ship will dismiss you and underestimate you. You are a despicable pirate and there´s no honor in hunting a criminal like you, so they tend to ignore you for a time while they deal with more honorable opponents. A smart pirate never engages his prey in equal terms, he always seeks to have the upper hand by ganging up against distracted enemies, wounded stranglers. By the time they realize you are delivering 5-6k dmg per broadside, you'll have already collected a bountiful loot and be sailing back to your haven or it would be too late for them to escape you.

I hope you enjoy galleon Hawkins as much as I did. To WG, please consider a special event for this ship with captain Edward Teach or some other infamous scourge of the seas, pirate flag included.